General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyones experiences with shoelaces you don't have to tie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-04 9:43 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Anyones experiences with shoelaces you don't have to tie?
I don't like Yankz much either. I felt like they were never adjusted right.

I keep my shoes tied and just slip them on. Been doing this forever, race or not. Pull up the tongue, stick foot in, and go.

2013-06-04 9:54 AM
in reply to: Jasonhomey

User image

Regular
Virginia
Another vote for XTENEX. The Yankz gave me tight spots that I couldn't resolve, but the XTENEX laces let you set each eyelet separately and they stay at the same tension. Love 'em.

2013-06-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: MCA

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Ever since I found Xtenex, I've not gone back. I have them on all of my running shoes. They're easy to put on the shoes, easy to adjust for tension, and really easy to use. I've not quite had the "just slip them on" experience, but all I have to do is keep the tongue out of the way and go.
2013-06-04 1:36 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by mehaner

related question - i used yankz my first tri season and LOVED them.  but when i bought new sneakers i went to put the yankz in them and could not due to the cut off ends --- am i just yankz handicapped?  am i expected to buy new $10 shoelaces with every pair of shoes?  is there a brand that doesn't require cutting, and therefore fraying up the ends??

I just held the ends over a lighter for a second and then rubbed them in my fingers. This closed off the end so they wouldnt fray. I have a set of black ones that I have used in 3 different pairs of shoes.
2013-06-04 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by JoelO

Originally posted by brigby1 For the Xtenex, you don't actually *have* to cut them. I haven't so far, but likely will for one pair. I'll leave just a little extra on so they should transfer between shoes and will balance the excess all at one end so I can still lace them up.

the problem with cutting isn't the length - it's that the end frays and i can't lace up the next pair of shoes.

Use these...Nathan Lock Laces. They have tabs you put the lace tips in...keeps everything neat and tidy.

http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-1160NB-P-Shoe-Lock-Laces/dp/B0099LVZQE...

This is what I found at Dick's. I haven't transferred a set yet, but I believe I could, with care taken at original installation.

2013-06-04 1:53 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Regular
Another vote here for Nathan Lock Laces.

2013-06-04 2:13 PM

Veteran
Honolulu
I've heard that you lose 40% of your power by cycling in tennis shoes. They are too spongy so you don't transfer your power into the crank. I've put this to the test riding w/ my usual training partners. When I wore tennis shoes (I thought it would be convenient to just run off the bike) I couldn't keep up w/ them when I am usually way in front of them.

I had hard plastic sole cycling shoes, which were ok. But once I switched to carbon sole cycling shoes, boom even more faster.

I bought Pearl Izumi Iso Transition shoes to run in for races only. They have no tongue and have built in elastic laces. Didn't give me blisters right out of the box 5-6 miles with wet feet. Have draining holes in sole. Super light, enough support. I tried Yankz but hated them. Love the Pearl Izumi and they are cheap, only $80 on amazon.com Not to mention cool colors.
2013-06-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: HonoluluAngel

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
I thought I posted to this already but looking at the thread it never took. Another vote for xtenex laces. Took 2 runs to get them right and have been great since. I don't think I'll cut the ends off as it would be difficult re-lacing them in another set of shoes.
2013-06-04 3:56 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Another vote for Xtenex!  It will take a little adjusting to get it feeling right however being able to adjust all points and not just the overall tension is a nice feature of them.
2013-06-04 5:08 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

related question - i used yankz my first tri season and LOVED them.  but when i bought new sneakers i went to put the yankz in them and could not due to the cut off ends --- am i just yankz handicapped?  am i expected to buy new $10 shoelaces with every pair of shoes?  is there a brand that doesn't require cutting, and therefore fraying up the ends??

I just held the ends over a lighter for a second and then rubbed them in my fingers. This closed off the end so they wouldnt fray. I have a set of black ones that I have used in 3 different pairs of shoes.

This ^^^^ is exactly what I do, AND I just use the same laces shoe change after shoe change. I use Sofsole Performance Laces, lace em up, run and adjust them, tie a knot in each end at the last lace hole, cut off the excess and run the shoes till they are shot. I take the excess I cut off the laces and make race belt number holders out them using the fancy little locks that I DID NOT use on the shoes.
Hope this helps
2013-06-04 5:25 PM

User image

I'll go against the pack here and say I absolutely HATED the elastic laces and made the mistake of putting them on my sneakers 2 weeks before my first Oly and my feet were F'd up BIG time during the run. I didn't tighten the laces at all, as in they weren't really stretched any, but they still felt snug, not uncomfortably so while wearing them around or going on a 5mi or shorter run. During the race though I got to mile 4 and it felt like my right foot had a steak knife stuck in it. It hurt so bad and slowed me down greatly and went away almost immediately after I took my shoe off. I couldn't figure out what it was so I tried new insoles and that didn't fix it. I thought maybe it was my new shoes but they were about a month old and were the same model shoe I've worn for years. Ended up taking out the new insoles and putting the regular laces back in and immediately the shoes were fine. I was shocked at how such a little thing impacted me so badly.

I'm not a new runner either as I have 10+ HM, 2 full marathons and 4 triathlons under my belt.

I'll just take the 10 seconds to tie my shoes. I can actually leave them just loose enough to slip on my feet without tying really.

2013-06-04 5:29 PM

I like yankz and have a pair at least 6 years old. I just put a little tape over the end when I transfer them to new sneaks. I also just tie a knot in the stretchy stuff and skip the little plastic triangle.

I really liked my yankz when I was pregnant with twins and my feet seemed so far away!
2013-06-04 7:28 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Yankz. I figured out that I actually wanted them situated looser than I imagined and it turned out well. Haven't adjusted them in 3 seasons of racing (this will make the 4th, but I should have new flats now... oops).
2013-06-04 7:41 PM
in reply to: funkj25

Lace up and go. Don't worry about 10-15 seconds on shoe laces!
2013-06-05 7:16 AM
in reply to: isurf

User image

New user
Thanks for all the feedback. My biggest problem right now is that I don't actually have biking shoes so when I come out of T1 from a swim and put on my shoes, I am pretty much set the rest of the race. I am also doing a duathlon this coming weekend and I will have no change of shoes. I have been considering putting on my tennis shoes for the bike portion though. I know it will slow me down in T1/T2, but I feel like I don't get the push as well in my running shoes on the bike.
2013-06-05 7:27 AM
in reply to: Quigley

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Quigley
Originally posted by mehaner related question - i used yankz my first tri season and LOVED them.  but when i bought new sneakers i went to put the yankz in them and could not due to the cut off ends --- am i just yankz handicapped?  am i expected to buy new $10 shoelaces with every pair of shoes?  is there a brand that doesn't require cutting, and therefore fraying up the ends??
I like yankz and have a pair at least 6 years old. I just put a little tape over the end when I transfer them to new sneaks. I also just tie a knot in the stretchy stuff and skip the little plastic triangle.

THIS is exactly the hint I needed.  I shall try it out tonight (if I didn't toss my yankz in complete frustration last time, which is highly likely...)

2013-06-05 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Xtenex.

I went a bit out of my way to get some before a tri last year. I researched the various options and they made the most sense. Bought bright green ones to complement my hot pink shoes. Love 'em.

I've never bothered to cut off the excess. The tied part sometimes comes undone and flops around, and I've had them almost a year, so perhaps I can trim them with some confidence now...

2013-06-05 12:28 PM

xtenex on my skechers. lock laces on my hokas and speed laces on my kswiss.

i get complements from the neighborhood folks on my orange xtenex laces and i love those laces the most.

2013-06-05 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

One tip I use for reusing Yankz laces (or similar laces) with frayed ends, or keeping your frayed ends neat and tidy. When you put your Yankz in your shoes for the first time, cut off the excess lace, then using a match (or two or three so you don't burn your fingers), burn the frayed ends so the plastic melts and forms a sealed end. Works for me and allows me to reuse my Yankz laces in other shoes.

OP answer: I use Yankz laces. Takes one run to dial in the correct tension for me, and they work really well. I'm not fast in transitions, but I often have shaky hands after the bike (all that adrenaline), so have a really hard time tying laces, hence these Yankz laces are wonderful for me. A couple of quick tugs and I'm ready to go.
2013-06-06 10:07 AM
in reply to: wartho

User image

New Egypt, NJ
I just got Xtenex laces. First time running in them today, but I think I'll like them better than the Yankz i had in the past. The Yankz always felt tight.

The Xtenex I got are the X200 width, next time I'll probably get the next size up (X300) as the knots now seem a little small and could possible move when stretching the shoes on. I didn't realize they even had different widths when I ordered.
2013-06-06 12:59 PM
in reply to: zeusrock1

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Yankz.
Flame and tape when frayed.

2013-06-06 1:14 PM
in reply to: TTom

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TTom

I use Yankz and have for multiple marathons, HM, sprints and my Oly.  Love 'em.  Easy in, shoe fits comfortably on the foot.

Yankz! Better than sliced bread once you adjust the comfort/fit/tightness for your shoes.
2013-06-06 1:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Austin

I have tried a generic pair 2 years ago, yanks last year and Nathan Lock Laces this year. I have to say the quality of the Nathan ones are far superior to the generic ones, about the same as the Yanks but I like the locking mechanism better than yanks.

So +1 for Nathan Lock Laces from me. Also I do end up replacing them every year. Something about the Texas Heat destroys the elastic after a year.

edit for spelling.

Edited by jetsers 2013-06-06 1:17 PM
2013-06-06 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Whatever happened to Velcro running shoes?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyones experiences with shoelaces you don't have to tie? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How do they not have to tie their shoelaces? Pages: 1 2

Started by neuronet
Views: 3152 Posts: 29

2009-08-13 9:30 AM rgretsof

Shoelaces

Started by sryall
Views: 919 Posts: 8

2009-07-27 3:43 PM ezl

shoelaces???

Started by rbtrumpet
Views: 976 Posts: 9

2009-07-06 6:49 PM morganjohnson

running shoelace ????

Started by prieto539
Views: 1224 Posts: 10

2008-08-17 9:50 AM TriMyBest

What do you do with your shoelaces?

Started by CourtneyM
Views: 1147 Posts: 9

2008-01-16 1:25 PM USS Dunphy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.