BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-06-09 9:09 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

Master
, California
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

The start of summer = new toys.  I did my routine maintenance and then added a couple extras.

- new chain
- new freehub body for my powertap.  Why they make alloy ones, I'll never know.  They get chewed up so fast.  Anyhow, the replacement is steel, +80 grams over the alloy (oooooooooh!)
- single bottle delta wing
- swim buoy for OWS... finally.  Lots of boats on my lake.  Safety first.
- new helmet

I probably forgot something.  What new shiny things have you guys grabbed lately?

2013-06-09 9:29 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

The start of summer = new toys.  I did my routine maintenance and then added a couple extras.

- new chain
- new freehub body for my powertap.  Why they make alloy ones, I'll never know.  They get chewed up so fast.  Anyhow, the replacement is steel, +80 grams over the alloy (oooooooooh!)
- new helmet

I probably forgot something.  What new shiny things have you guys grabbed lately?

Ok...I thought I was doing something wrong with my PT free hub because mine looks like a dog's chew toy.

I've replaced the chain on both my bikes already this season...I imagine I'll be buying a crap load of gels, bars, and sport drink powder over the summer.
2013-06-09 9:36 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California
Originally posted by tri808

- new chain
- new helmet

Ok...I thought I was doing something wrong with my PT free hub because mine looks like a dog's chew toy. I've replaced the chain on both my bikes already this season...I imagine I'll be buying a crap load of gels, bars, and sport drink powder over the summer.

I called like 3 shops in my area.  One didn't have a replacement and the other two only had more alloy freehubs.  I ended up ordering the steel one straight from the Cycleops website -- and it looks like I got the last Shimano one cause it's no longer listed.

Wheelbuilder also sells them if you want one (steel is cheaper, too):

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/powertap-freehub-body.html

Edited by spudone 2013-06-09 9:37 PM
2013-06-09 10:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

- new chain
- new helmet

New chain, old was making a bit of chatter. Figure it had about 18,000 miles on it (not kidding), and was a full 2 links longer. Yeah, I should know better. 

Also got the new Edge 810 as my 800 died. Brother works at a Trek store a couple hours away, so it was all easy to get. He's really helpful when he's able to do something.

2013-06-09 11:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

COngrats Jason, that is such a great opportunity
2013-06-09 11:13 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

New toys?  I can play. 

So when I went for the fitting, fitter suggested I upgrade a little and get some new bar extensions.  What the hell, racing today, might as well have T4+ bars delivered Friday (and cee gees pads), have them put on Saturday, take the bike (and a 6 pack) to the LBS for a rush cable job, and race Sunday    Required me to re jigger the mount for the garmin Saturday night....   And actually turn my bike into an actual tri bike, LOL.  It actually now looks like the bikes the cool kids ride.

And oh man is it comfortable and fast.  I know it was only a 6 mile split, but last year averaged 20.4, unofficial split today was 22.6 with an NP about 290.  Other factors go into that as well, including weight and training.   We'll see how the five hour ride goes next weekend.

2013-06-10 4:15 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

- new chain
- new helmet

I *have* a new chain but I haven't put it on yet.  If I am going to do it before MT, now is the time I guess...

What do you think of the single bottle delta wing?  I've been looking at getting one - I have a DIY cage on there now.

2013-06-10 4:26 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Chris, what a tragic end to what is supposed to be a fun day for everyone.  My condolences to everyone involved.

Jason, sorry to hear your legs didn't show up for the TT.  It's probably not too surprising given the beating you took during the race, I'm pretty sure I would be in the same boat given the circumstances.

Rusty, my wife has vast supplies of Lululemon.  My only advice is that when you are grabbing a pair of run shorts early in the morning to be used later in the day, double check to make sure they are yours.....

Chris, your bike setup looks awesome!  Impressive gains over the race last year too, did you feel better able to deliver power with the new position?

2013-06-10 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello, I'll be back again for another round of reading, learning, and trying to get better. Ya'll pushed me through the winter and I appreciate it. Thanks for that.

Chris, I'm so sorry to hear about your race, I hope the family and friends are doing as well as can be hoped for.

Jason, your race may not have been what you hoped for but it looks as though you are undeterred. Enjoy the prep for Kona, congrats on getting in.

2013-06-10 7:51 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Payson, AZ
Today's run was hindered by Elk and Javalina.  Just another typical day in Payson
2013-06-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by axteraa

Holy @#$%@#^!!!!  That's amazing Jason, congratulations!

Soooooo, slight change to the training schedule? Laughing

I've had the training schedule ready to go the past 2 years in case I got picked...LOL. Given how they did the lottery this year (preference to those who have completed Honu and applied the past 3 years), how many spots there were (20), and how many eligible athletes (73)...I had pretty good odds. I was going to mention something earlier...but I didn't want to jinx it.

Jason - that's awesome. That will be quite the experience for your first IM.

2013-06-10 8:20 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by TankBoy

I am finally starting to feel a little better, but draining like crazy and still putting off running until tomorrow. 2 hour walk yesterday and another two hours today though, so I am trying to keep some time on my feet.

You know how the women are always raving about Lulu Lemon clothes? The wife and popped into the local store yesterday so she could grab a pair of running shorts. She walked out with a $35 pair and I walked out with about 500 bucks worth of shorts, pants, pullovers, and shirts. I had no idea they sold men's clothing.... Nice.

Something tells me they saw you coming from a mile away and started rubbing their hands together...
2013-06-10 8:32 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

- new chain
- new helmet

I bought a couple of months ago, but it finally made an appearance on my bike last week. My new FLO front. I just picked up and mounted the profile design UCM for my Garmin (like Rusty) and moved the bottle cage closer to the stem. I definitely like having the computer more in my line of sight now.

(Bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bike.jpg (44KB - 6 downloads)
2013-06-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
That looks great Neil!  I usually like the stealth FLO stickers better but those work perfectly on that bike.
2013-06-10 10:39 AM

User image

That looks great Neil!  I usually like the stealth FLO stickers better but those work perfectly on that bike.

Other than having a really aerodynamic design for roughly 1/3 the cost of other wheels...the options of decals really sets FLO apart. I finally saw a FLO wheel in person locally (I saw a few at Honu) at my TT and they look sweet being that you can match the paint scheem of your bike. Given how OCD cyclists and triathletes are about having their bike match...I'm surprised other companies haven't caught on. Everyone knows that your bottle cages, handlebar tape, cable housings, and even saddle have to match your frame color scheme. Heck...I know a guy who sold his SRAM Red brifters and rear derailleur on ebay for top dollar because it was the version that had the green trim on it.
2013-06-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by axteraa That looks great Neil!  I usually like the stealth FLO stickers better but those work perfectly on that bike.
Other than having a really aerodynamic design for roughly 1/3 the cost of other wheels...the options of decals really sets FLO apart. I finally saw a FLO wheel in person locally (I saw a few at Honu) at my TT and they look sweet being that you can match the paint scheem of your bike. Given how OCD cyclists and triathletes are about having their bike match...I'm surprised other companies haven't caught on. Everyone knows that your bottle cages, handlebar tape, cable housings, and even saddle have to match your frame color scheme. Heck...I know a guy who sold his SRAM Red brifters and rear derailleur on ebay for top dollar because it was the version that had the green trim on it.

I solved that problem by getting a black frame

What do you think of the single bottle delta wing?  I've been looking at getting one - I have a DIY cage on there now.

I had the 2 bottle sonic wing before but the delta wing sets the bottle closer.  If you have the saddle on the front mounting point on a P3/P4, the sonic wing leaves a lot of space between the cages and the saddle.  So even ignoring aerodynamics, it's easier to grab the bottle from the delta.

And the Gorilla XT cage... I can't imagine anything launching, ever.  That thing is ridiculous

Edited by spudone 2013-06-10 10:50 AM

2013-06-10 11:50 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Thanks - I was torn between white and stealth, but ultimately think I made the rigtht choice for a white bike. Jason's right, we're so OCD it's silly. When I changed the position of my bottle cage I realized that the zip tie wasn't going to be perfectly flush to the bars, and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get around the issue untl my wife looked at me and said "really" before walking away.

You can't see it in the photo but my rear bottle cage is just a regular cage that I drilled a couple of holes in and ran camping cord (quite stretchy) through it. Haven't launched a bottle yet (it was Rappstar's idea, but using strecth laces). And in case you're wondering - the cord color matches the cage color.
2013-06-10 2:16 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Got the hard stuff out of the way and booked my flights and hotel to Kona before they fill up or get outrageous. Also put in my vactaion request. I'll be staying at a smaller hotel called Uncle Billy's. It's right on Ali'i drive and less than a mile from the pier. Should be a great location to soak up the entire experience during race week and allow my GF (and anyone else who comes up to watch) to head back to the hotel for air conditioning or a bathroom break while spectating in the area.

Priceless quote of the weekend by my GF..."what am I going to do for 17 hours?" I just chuckled and didn't actually respond...but no faith in my fitness hun?
2013-06-10 2:42 PM

User image

I am going to need a third bottle for IM Canada, as I'll be using two bottles of concentrated Infinit and one water bottle.  Right now I have the torpedo mount and downtube bottles. I can mount the third on the seat tube or behind the seat.  

What in everyone's opinion is the best (i.e., most aero) solution

I suspect BTS but I am wary of ejectiing the BTS bottle, so would use that for replaceable water.  Would also use a gorilla cage, but not sure the bottles they hand out (typical normal plastic water bottles) will stay put back there. 

Also, if BTS, can someone post a pic of a clean mount?  I don't like the x lab contraptions with space to C02 etc.   I really prefer not to have anything BTS but if it is the best option.  I was thinking perhpas just zip tying a cage there

2013-06-10 3:19 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Is she into triathlon at all?  Volunteering as a bike catcher was an awesome way to pass the time when we were there.

I just looked up Uncle Billy's - can't get much more right in the action than that!  How early are you heading over?

2013-06-10 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by ChrisM

Also, if BTS, can someone post a pic of a clean mount?  I don't like the x lab contraptions with space to C02 etc.   I really prefer not to have anything BTS but if it is the best option.  I was thinking perhpas just zip tying a cage there

Mine has never ejected or felt like a bottle was on the verge.  To put those smaller water bottles in there I had to squeeze the cage tighter (that's one pro over a gorilla cage...).

It's not a great pic, I can get a better one if you want.

2013-06-10 3:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

I am going to need a third bottle for IM Canada, as I'll be using two bottles of concentrated Infinit and one water bottle.  Right now I have the torpedo mount and downtube bottles. I can mount the third on the seat tube or behind the seat.  

What in everyone's opinion is the best (i.e., most aero) solution

I suspect BTS but I am wary of ejectiing the BTS bottle, so would use that for replaceable water.  Would also use a gorilla cage, but not sure the bottles they hand out (typical normal plastic water bottles) will stay put back there. 

I suppose it depends on who you believe as far as aerodynamic testing. If you believe Cervelo's recent testing, then BTS is the way to go. Considering that you can't afford to eject a bottle of infinit may play into your decision though. One other consideration is that if you do decide to run your second bottle of infinit BTS, you could always tape it down or rubber band it secure if you're really afraid of launching. If there's a steep hill at roughly the point where you'll need the second bottle you can quickly stop, unclip, remove the bottle from BTS and get back going. Total time lost should be less than 5-7 seconds. If you believe that the aerodynamic penalty for running a bottle on your seat tube is more than 7 seconds...you still come out ahead and very reduced chance of launching a bottle.
2013-06-10 4:04 PM

User image

Is she into triathlon at all?  Volunteering as a bike catcher was an awesome way to pass the time when we were there.

I just looked up Uncle Billy's - can't get much more right in the action than that!  How early are you heading over?

Yeah...she actually does mostly sprints, and an oly here and there. She did Honu last year with me.

It was more of a joking comment she made. I'm sure she'll enjoy the swim start, and watching us leave on the bike...then go back to the hotel for a few hours before everyone starts coming back in. I'm pretty sure a good chunck of my training buddies are going to fly in Friday night to watch and cheer. They've done it many times before so my GF won't be alone.

I'm flying in Tuesday afternoon, and leaving Monday afternoon. I plan to soak it all in. Underpants run, ST get together party (20 minute walk from my hotel), awards banquet, etc. A friend of mine who has stayed at Uncle Billy's when he got in via lottery told me that Rudy Project's HQ is right across the street. I hope they're giving away wingspan helmets to athletes like they did last year. I heard the line was really long, but if it's right outside my hotel I should be able to get in line early.
2013-06-10 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by tri808 Got the hard stuff out of the way and booked my flights and hotel to Kona before they fill up or get outrageous. Also put in my vactaion request. I'll be staying at a smaller hotel called Uncle Billy's. It's right on Ali'i drive and less than a mile from the pier. Should be a great location to soak up the entire experience during race week and allow my GF (and anyone else who comes up to watch) to head back to the hotel for air conditioning or a bathroom break while spectating in the area. Priceless quote of the weekend by my GF..."what am I going to do for 17 hours?" I just chuckled and didn't actually respond...but no faith in my fitness hun?

I'm sure she was calculating from the time you leave the hotel to the time you return to the hotel.

2013-06-10 4:08 PM

User image

Thanks Arend and Jason...   Still considering.  I could put the second infinit in back and just rubber band it down. That's a good idea.....

I'm just full of questions today.  So at my fitting the fitter slammed the seat forward. When I took it to my LBS to get cabled he said I don't have enough support under the rail and need to find either a fast forward post or some other reinforcement under the rail.  The bottom piece on his BMC roadie roadie has a little section that extends further than the top piece holding the rail.

If you look at the pic above, you can see it.  PX does not make a FF post. 

I tried the cobb before but didn't like it.  But seeing arend's photo, and maybe with a new fit it would be different?  The fitter said with the saddle higher the cobb might now work, and it looks like you can mount that saddle so the rails are protected, for lack of a better word.  The fitter did not mention it but think I will shoot him an email as well.

Thoughts, ideas, on this? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.