General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-06-14 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning
Ugh! I just need to vent to people who will understand.

Got my tired butt out of bed at 5 a.m. this morning, had a snack, got ready, was showered and waiting by the pool doors by about 6:02 (opens at 6). Me and one other guy waited, and waited, and waited. He went to the front desk and confirmed, no lifeguard. I stayed, hopeful, for a little while, but finally left at about 6:35. The front desk was calling to find a replacement but I had already lost my morning window.

OK, in the great scheme of things, I know this is a first world problem. No one died, no one went hungry, etc. But I'm pretty frustrated -- wasting a couple of hours this morning, especially because I have a race Sunday and wanted to do a shake-out. I'll try to get over there later today but who knows if I can make it. UGH!

2013-06-14 8:59 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning
I would be really ticked off. I hate waking up in the morning to workout. And if I wake up early to go swim and I can't. I'm mad. Yes, I know it's not a REAL problem, but I would still be unhappy about it!

2013-06-14 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
I am in the category of "people who will understand".

This would most likely set the tone for my entire morning and possibly the day if I couldn't get the workout it. Being the father of three small children and the husband to a mostly supportive wife, if I left the house that early for a swim and didn't get in the pool, I would have a hard time justifying trying to do the same thing tomorrow.

I know there will be people on BT that say things like:
"that's not a real problem"
"There are worse things in the world going on than you missing your swim workout"
"maybe the lifegaurd had a car accident, family emergency, house fire, etc"

Regardless of the reasons behind the "no show", I woudl still be very irritated too.

Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?

2013-06-14 9:12 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Pro

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk I am in the category of "people who will understand". This would most likely set the tone for my entire morning and possibly the day if I couldn't get the workout it. Being the father of three small children and the husband to a mostly supportive wife, if I left the house that early for a swim and didn't get in the pool, I would have a hard time justifying trying to do the same thing tomorrow. I know there will be people on BT that say things like: "that's not a real problem" "There are worse things in the world going on than you missing your swim workout" "maybe the lifegaurd had a car accident, family emergency, house fire, etc" Regardless of the reasons behind the "no show", I woudl still be very irritated too. Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?

I'm here for you, man.....I think you should hunt him down and beat the hell out of him!

2013-06-14 9:26 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I would be very ticked off.
2013-06-14 9:39 AM
in reply to: EKH

This happened to me a few weeks ago, except our pool opens at 5am (usually good for me) and s/he never showed up. Ticked me off to wake up at 4:40am for nothing.

Lesson learned: Don't go to the YMCA pool in your Crocs. Wear running shoes so that if it happens again at least you can go to the treadmill.

Dan

2013-06-14 10:48 AM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
It's like rain on your wedding day.  Or a free ride when you've already paid. Yell
2013-06-14 10:56 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk I am in the category of "people who will understand". This would most likely set the tone for my entire morning and possibly the day if I couldn't get the workout it. Being the father of three small children and the husband to a mostly supportive wife, if I left the house that early for a swim and didn't get in the pool, I would have a hard time justifying trying to do the same thing tomorrow. I know there will be people on BT that say things like: "that's not a real problem" "There are worse things in the world going on than you missing your swim workout" "maybe the lifegaurd had a car accident, family emergency, house fire, etc" Regardless of the reasons behind the "no show", I woudl still be very irritated too. Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?

I'm here for you, man.....I think you should hunt him down and beat the hell out of him!

And I'll hold him down.

Complete BS.

2013-06-14 10:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
McAllen
I'd also be fairly annoyed but a bit more understanding. I used to work as a lifeguard throughout junior and senior years in high school. I would wake up at 4:20, grab a dollar taco at the gas station and be at the pool at 4:45 to open up (lap hours are 5-7am). Leave at 7:15, shower, school, HS swim practice, home, do whatever homework I didn't do during lunch time or elective classes, and go to club swimming from 5-7:30pm. Dinner, sleep, rinse and repeat. Every day.

I might have missed 3 mornings the whole school year, two of those the manager was gone as well and one of those I called late and the manager just let me stay home (so two of those three times nobody could open the pool)

But getting up that early to do nothing but sit in a chair and watch the same people swim back and forth every day is hard. It was harder on the manager too he lived a 30min drive away. So from a ex-lifeguard's perspective, sometimes its hard too. The days just didn't match up for you. But then again sometimes guards can also just be lazy bums. That's happened plenty of times too.

It still doesn't make missing your swim workout any less annoying because it still is, but just trying to provide some other input =P

Edited by odpaul7 2013-06-14 10:59 AM
2013-06-14 10:59 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

• Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?

Uh, why would you globally include "BT community" instead of "a few BT members of the community"?
    2013-06-14 11:01 AM
    in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Expert
    Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
    Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

• Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?

Uh, why would you globally include "BT community" instead of "a few BT members of the community"?

I certainly accept your request for clarification. Most of the BT community won't chastise him (or me now), but there are certainly those that want to, but wont' since it's identified they probably would.

2013-06-14 11:04 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk ... Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?
    I certainly accept your request for clarification. Most of the BT community won't chastise him (or me now), but there are certainly those that want to, but wont' since it's identified they probably would.

Now you've done it......I think the lifeguard was perfectly within his right to not show up.....quit whining.

2013-06-14 11:04 AM
    in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Expert
    Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk ... Chances are the BT community will chastise you for venting, but for goodness sakes, if we can't complain about these kind of problems on BT then why are we even on this site?

This is good advice that you just didn't take.  Innocent

2013-06-14 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by jeffnboise

It's like rain on your wedding day.  Or a free ride when you've already paid. Yell

"Like meeting the girl of your dreams and finding out she's 5." Cool points if you know where that came from.

Edited by GAUG3 2013-06-14 11:23 AM
    2013-06-14 11:11 AM
    in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran
    You should pi$$ in his pool. Or something.
    2013-06-14 11:20 AM

User image

Master
    Livonia, MI
    Ugh, major bummer.  I hope you can sneak out of work early and get that swim in after all.  And good luck on Sunday!

2013-06-14 11:23 AM

Veteran
    Tennessee
    When I used to swim in the mornings I always beat the life guards to the pool. I just swam anyways. Pool was only 5 ft deep and by looking at the life guards you could tell they didn't want to be there. Some wore plain clothes.
    2013-06-14 11:43 AM
    in reply to: odpaul7

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Detroit, Michigan
    Originally posted by odpaul7

But getting up that early to do nothing but sit in a chair and watch the same people swim back and forth every day is hard.

I can appreciate this... The early-morning guy is just a young kid, and almost every M/W/F it's just me and one other guy, doing our thing in silence. I'm sure it gets boring. BUT, he's also paid to sit there and watch us. This is the first time I've had a no-show (plenty of times when I'm waiting at the door they're 5 minutes late) so I'm not demanding anyone's job -- I'm just annoyed. It's looking like I'll be able to sneak away later so no huge deal, but it's an annoying way to start the day, for sure!

PS -- I'm a woman. =D

2013-06-14 11:54 AM

User image

Master
    Falls Church, VA

I'd also be fairly annoyed but a bit more understanding. I used to work as a lifeguard throughout junior and senior years in high school. I would wake up at 4:20, grab a dollar taco at the gas station and be at the pool at 4:45 to open up (lap hours are 5-7am). Leave at 7:15, shower, school, HS swim practice, home, do whatever homework I didn't do during lunch time or elective classes, and go to club swimming from 5-7:30pm. Dinner, sleep, rinse and repeat. Every day.

I might have missed 3 mornings the whole school year, two of those the manager was gone as well and one of those I called late and the manager just let me stay home (so two of those three times nobody could open the pool)

But getting up that early to do nothing but sit in a chair and watch the same people swim back and forth every day is hard. It was harder on the manager too he lived a 30min drive away. So from a ex-lifeguard's perspective, sometimes its hard too. The days just didn't match up for you. But then again sometimes guards can also just be lazy bums. That's happened plenty of times too.

It still doesn't make missing your swim workout any less annoying because it still is, but just trying to provide some other input =P

You had me up until "grab a dollar taco at the gas station"
    then everything just went blank.
    2013-06-14 12:12 PM
    in reply to: GAUG3

Originally posted by GAUG3

Originally posted by jeffnboise

"Like meeting the girl of your dreams and finding out she's 5." Cool points if you know where that came from.

Donal Logue as Jimmy McBride aka Jimmy the Cab Driver. "It's like going crazy when you're already nuts."
    2013-06-14 12:27 PM
    in reply to: Nipper

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by Nipper You had me up until "grab a dollar taco at the gas station" then everything just went blank.

Same here... what a bargain!

Up here they're at least $1.50...

2013-06-14 12:37 PM
    in reply to: Hoos

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by Hoos

Originally posted by Nipper You had me up until "grab a dollar taco at the gas station" then everything just went blank.

At 4am they drop the price to a buck because they've been sitting under heat lamps all night. Early bird gets the worm...
    2013-06-14 12:48 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member

But getting up that early to do nothing but sit in a chair and watch the same people swim back and forth every day is hard.  

It's even harder to have sympathy for this kind of statement. 
    Sorry but getting paid to sit in a chair is NOT hard work where I come from. Especially when you sign up for it and know the hours/duties going in. 

2013-06-14 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
    McAllen
    No its not hard, its definitely a cush job, but its mental torture when you're 16-17 :P

Didn't mean that to be a sympathy statement, but just kinda what most of the guards I knew were doing. its not a takeaway from how annoying it is when a pool isn't opened--been there after I quit.

Edited by odpaul7 2013-06-14 1:48 PM
    2013-06-14 1:46 PM
    in reply to: steveseer

User image

Calgary, AB
    Originally posted by steveseer
    Originally posted by Hoos

At 4am they drop the price to a buck because they've been sitting under heat lamps all night. Early bird gets the worm...

In this case -- literally, I'm sure!

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gripe: Lifeguard never showed up this morning Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Lifeguard Hijinx (friday humor inside)

Started by FELTGood
    Views: 1762 Posts: 6

2012-12-01 7:01 PM Coach Gil

Do we really need lifeguards at the pool? Pages: 1 2

Started by cstoulil
    Views: 7362 Posts: 29

2011-12-18 10:42 PM reecealan

Lifeguard requirement

Started by flip18436572
    Views: 1862 Posts: 8

2011-02-15 6:38 AM flip18436572

Clydesdale Gripe... Pages: 1 2

Started by waskelton
    Views: 2786 Posts: 31

2006-07-02 6:52 PM RGRBILL

Water walker gripe..

Started by Baseball1
    Views: 850 Posts: 5

2005-05-27 1:24 PM m80
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : February 1, 2011
    author : Competitor.com
    comments : 0
    Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : September 16, 2010
    author : LifterCatcher
    comments : 3
    As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
    date : May 19, 2010
    author : Team BT
    comments : 1
    Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : September 3, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 17, 2007
    author : 2x4nomore
    My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
    date : September 3, 2005
    author : chrisandniki
    This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : June 14, 2005
    author : marmadaddy
    comments : 17
    Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."