Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Breaking up and seeing your ex at races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-07-09 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Breaking up and seeing your ex at races
Originally posted by HonoluluAngel

Yeah sorry if it seems confusing. I titled the post that way as I thought it would be broader. For the record neither I nor my ex were lovers or lesbians. At one time we had been very good friends, working together 5 days a week and training on weekends, that's 7 days a week spending time together. She was a control freak and it didn't bother me until she got pissed at me training w someone else who IS gay and she happens to dislike gays. Then other issues at work deteriorated the friendship. She did not walk off the job due to triathlons. The issue I wanted feedback on was how you handled seeing an ex or ex friend at races and how negative emotions affected your race, was it worth it to go.

Instead many people just told me to harden the F up. Honestly It's been good to vent and despite the negative comments I feel better. I also appreciate the constructive remarks. I felt I was proactive in 1) finding a different training partner and 2) moving my desk to further avoid tension w a psycho. The fact that she decided to quit is not my problem, and I couldn't control her reactions to me training w a gay person. I really hate drama but this unfortunately did happen and could be good reality tv material. It's more peaceful at work and I will go to the race and do what I love.

Serious answer is:
1. You either take the high road and say hello, or you pretend they don't exist. Choice is yours.
2. Focus on YOUR RACE. After all, unless you're a coach or pacer (not in tri, obviously, not even in a gorilla suit), racing is all about YOU.
3. Of course it's worth it. See point #2.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-07-09 10:21 AM

2013-07-09 10:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Originally posted by HonoluluAngel Yeah sorry if it seems confusing. I titled the post that way as I thought it would be broader. For the record neither I nor my ex were lovers or lesbians. At one time we had been very good friends, working together 5 days a week and training on weekends, that's 7 days a week spending time together. She was a control freak and it didn't bother me until she got pissed at me training w someone else who IS gay and she happens to dislike gays. Then other issues at work deteriorated the friendship. She did not walk off the job due to triathlons. The issue I wanted feedback on was how you handled seeing an ex or ex friend at races and how negative emotions affected your race, was it worth it to go. Instead many people just told me to harden the F up. Honestly It's been good to vent and despite the negative comments I feel better. I also appreciate the constructive remarks. I felt I was proactive in 1) finding a different training partner and 2) moving my desk to further avoid tension w a psycho. The fact that she decided to quit is not my problem, and I couldn't control her reactions to me training w a gay person. I really hate drama but this unfortunately did happen and could be good reality tv material. It's more peaceful at work and I will go to the race and do what I love.

I guess my only question is... seriously asking... why does it matter?

You asked for responces, and you got some. I don't think they were "negative", or "positive"... just responces. You are free to take what you like, and leave the rest.

What I am asking is it seems that this would be a non issue for most, so why is it an issue for you? And I really mean that in a nice way. Why would you think that this could potentially effect you to the point that you would hate the race and wish you didn't do it? It is just as possible to pi$$ others off to the point of turning in their best performance ever.

Obviously, we all deal with difficult people differently. Obviously, this difficult person effected you... but what is it about the race, or seeing her, that causes you such trepidation... at a race of all places? I could see a social setting where you guys had say common friends and you had to be at a party all night with her, but wanted to go and support some other friend in some sort of celebation... those types of things can get awkward espesially after some drinks... but this is just a race.

Why does it bother you so much?

Edited by powerman 2013-07-09 10:35 AM
2013-07-09 10:49 AM
in reply to: HonoluluAngel

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by HonoluluAngel  Instead many people just told me to harden the F up. Honestly It's been good to vent and despite the negative comments I feel better. I also appreciate the constructive remarks.

So basically you were just posting to get a bunch of people to agree with you?

2013-07-09 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
The way she reacted to the gay person and how betrayed she felt I wonder if there was more there she could not handle. It would help explain why she was crazy. Then again if she is a control freak and felt like she lost control that also could cause a freak out.
2013-07-09 10:58 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly
Originally posted by HonoluluAngel Yeah sorry if it seems confusing. I titled the post that way as I thought it would be broader. For the record neither I nor my ex were lovers or lesbians. At one time we had been very good friends, working together 5 days a week and training on weekends, that's 7 days a week spending time together. She was a control freak and it didn't bother me until she got pissed at me training w someone else who IS gay and she happens to dislike gays. Then other issues at work deteriorated the friendship. She did not walk off the job due to triathlons. The issue I wanted feedback on was how you handled seeing an ex or ex friend at races and how negative emotions affected your race, was it worth it to go. Instead many people just told me to harden the F up. Honestly It's been good to vent and despite the negative comments I feel better. I also appreciate the constructive remarks. I felt I was proactive in 1) finding a different training partner and 2) moving my desk to further avoid tension w a psycho. The fact that she decided to quit is not my problem, and I couldn't control her reactions to me training w a gay person. I really hate drama but this unfortunately did happen and could be good reality tv material. It's more peaceful at work and I will go to the race and do what I love.
Serious answer is: 1. You either take the high road and say hello, or you pretend they don't exist. Choice is yours. 2. Focus on YOUR RACE. After all, unless you're a coach or pacer (not in tri, obviously, not even in a gorilla suit), racing is all about YOU. 3. Of course it's worth it. See point #2.

And it's the gorilla suit FTW.  And, no, no it will never get old.  Never. Solid gold, right there.

2013-07-09 11:13 AM
in reply to: briderdt

Veteran
Honolulu
No that wasn't what I was aiming for. All the responses were a cross section of common responses some more tactful than others

2013-07-09 11:18 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

Veteran
Honolulu
Exactly. There are many more instances of her freaking out over stupid things which would reveal what I was dealing with
2013-07-09 11:19 AM

User image

Originally posted by HonoluluAngel No that wasn't what I was aiming for. All the responses were a cross section of common responses some more tactful than others

Don't worry about it.  People respond with a little more tact on the internet rather than face to face.  I'm guilty of it just like anyone else.  Reading some of the responses, probably not too far from what I would comment on, but I'd never actually post it knowing that I'll be at the OP's next race as well.  Good luck and kick her azz!

2013-07-09 11:26 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Veteran
Honolulu
Haha Jason. Case in point, this is a small community here. BTW Jason nice training volume, you'll do good in Kona
2013-07-09 11:50 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Expert
Originally posted by briderdt

Originally posted by HonoluluAngel  Instead many people just told me to harden the F up. Honestly It's been good to vent and despite the negative comments I feel better. I also appreciate the constructive remarks.

I'm guessing she was posting to vent about someone she trained, and I'm thinking hoped for a bit of empathy, and kind constructive comments. Personally, I get enough HTFU in my own head, I don't need others to dump more on... sometimes it's nice to have a soft place to fall..

I hope you got a bit of that in the thread Honolulu A.. 

2013-07-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by KateTri1

I'm guessing she was posting to vent about someone she trained, and I'm thinking hoped for a bit of empathy, and kind constructive comments. Personally, I get enough HTFU in my own head, I don't need others to dump more on... sometimes it's nice to have a soft place to fall..

That was nicely said Kate.

Of course, the OP has to understand that not everyone will see things the way she sees them and that not everyone on BT's strong suit is empathy Laughing

2013-07-09 3:03 PM

User image

Elite

Perhaps so.... but just speaking in general as to not criticise the OP... one could say I'm really bummed about this situation and just need to get it off my chest.... instead of "what do you guys think about this, or what should I do?". Just a suggestion. But I have been guilty of it.

2013-07-09 3:13 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Expert
Originally posted by noelle1230

Of course, the OP has to understand that not everyone will see things the way she sees them and that not everyone on BT's strong suit is empathy Laughing

I agree..

and feedback is what she asked for.. but there is a difference between giving feedback.. and belittling someone. I was kind of surprised at some of the comments people made, as I've seen them make some really nice ones in other threads.

I guess everyone has an off day once in a while. 

2013-07-09 3:16 PM

User image

Pro

I agree..

and feedback is what she asked for.. but there is a difference between giving feedback.. and belittling someone. I was kind of surprised at some of the comments people made, as I've seen them make some really nice ones in other threads.

Kate - I was going to make a really nice comment to her, but I didn't want to cause you anymore confusion. Laughing

2013-07-09 4:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree..

Kate - I was going to make a really nice comment to her, but I didn't want to cause you anymore confusion. Laughing

I think we'd be better served if you headed over to the bizarre breakup thread and told us a story.. Laughing

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Breaking up and seeing your ex at races Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Ex-Inlaws... (Spin off from Ex's)

Started by Sharkie
Views: 1058 Posts: 13

2009-06-09 10:43 AM KSH

Lance breaks his collarbone in a race crash.

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 624 Posts: 2

2009-03-23 4:11 PM 1stTimeTri

Why ex's are ex's...

Started by madkat
Views: 955 Posts: 19

2006-06-11 6:24 PM Lara

Ex-smokers are the worst.

Started by rice
Views: 2330 Posts: 13

2005-09-08 8:16 PM max

re: the ex boyfriend

Started by infosteward
Views: 685 Posts: 1

2005-03-29 12:28 AM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.
date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.