Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Problem Pit Bull Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-31 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Problem Pit Bull
First, I love dogs, and currently own a mastiff. Now, the problem. I have three small children that like to play and ride bikes in the driveway. We have been confronted by the same Pit Bull on 4 occasions on our own property. No attacks, but very agressive behavior from the Pit Bull. Our neighbor has been confronted twice on her property. Under local ordinace this constitutes a nuisance animal. I have contacted local animal control 3 times with no responses. We have been in contact with the owner on one occasion while they were walking and searching for their dog. The owner promised it would not continue, but the animal is still going loose. There is a school bus stop where the dog is usually loose as well with grade school kids.
I understand that I could take custody of the animal and bring it to animal control, but I would need a sufficient trap. Any ideas?

2013-07-31 11:14 AM
in reply to: mxr746

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Problem Pit Bull

Originally posted by mxr746 First, I love dogs, and currently own a mastiff. Now, the problem. I have three small children that like to play and ride bikes in the driveway. We have been confronted by the same Pit Bull on 4 occasions on our own property. No attacks, but very agressive behavior from the Pit Bull. Our neighbor has been confronted twice on her property. Under local ordinace this constitutes a nuisance animal. I have contacted local animal control 3 times with no responses. We have been in contact with the owner on one occasion while they were walking and searching for their dog. The owner promised it would not continue, but the animal is still going loose. There is a school bus stop where the dog is usually loose as well with grade school kids. I understand that I could take custody of the animal and bring it to animal control, but I would need a sufficient trap. Any ideas?

your kids and dog playing in the driveway?

2013-07-31 11:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

hornet spray. No, I'm not kidding.

(edit) I would not have one single moment of hesitation shooting the dog if it were aggressive towards my kids on my property. Hornet spray is non-lethal in smaller quantities but will make the dog question the wisdom of continuing the course of action it is taking.

Edited by DanielG 2013-07-31 11:17 AM
2013-07-31 11:33 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
I wouldn't let a dog I owned be aggressive toward my kids.....let alone some dog running loose.  I'm like Dan.  I've been a dog lover all my life, but I'd not hesitate to shoot that dog if it were aggressive to my kids on my property.
2013-07-31 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I personally wouldn't mess with any type of non-lethal measures with my kids around. What if it just pisses the dog off or something. Most likely won't happen, but if it did the repercussions could be unthinkable. I'd continue to call the proper authorities and talk to the neighbor. Explain that their mistakes could very literally maim or kill one of your children.

I had to do this a couple of months ago with my parents' neighbor. Their pit was loose on my parents' property a few times, which is where my kids often play. My dad had talked to the owner, but he kept getting out. I was there once when the dog was out. I went to the owner and explained that my 18 month old daughter plays where their dog was getting out. Even if the dog thought it was playing it could easily kill my daughter. We haven't seen the dog out since then. I think some people just don't understand how freaking terrible the consequences of their irresponsibility can be.
2013-07-31 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Four incidents on your property with three small children, still wandering loose.  Do you feel lucky puppy?

(solution.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
solution.jpg (8KB - 12 downloads)

2013-07-31 12:25 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Short of shooting the dog (which I don't have a huge problem with depending on the behavior). If you aren't getting anywhere with animal control I would call the cops, pester the hell out of them. Nothing, call city hall, call the mayor, email the mayor or city council. Become such a pita that they do something about it. 

Also tell the neighbor that if the dog gets out again it is danger of being shot or caught and turned in. Dog tickets and impounds are very expensive around here, even a misdemeanor criminal charge in some cases so it is not to be taken lightly by the owners. Their carelessness could cost them a lot of money.  

2013-07-31 12:35 PM

User image

2013-07-31 1:01 PM

User image

Queen BTich

I can't believe that you've called authorities and nothing has happened. The cops will show up if someone calls about nuisance barking and ticket the owners.

I wouldn't hesitate to do what you feel is safe for your kids, but since he hasn't done anything *yet*, I'd try to trap him and bring him to animal control. Less risky (in the sense of your neighbors) than shooting him on your property.

Our neighbors have a pit tied up. Goes crazy whenever anyone walks by, especially when I'm walking my dogs. I'm pretty scared he's going to be angry and strong enough one day to break off his tie. It would be very, very bad.

2013-07-31 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Wow, this makes me really sad as a pit owner. Our pit is the sweetest dog we have had yet (3rd one) and is great with our kids. Why people have to be so irresponsible with their dogs is beyond me. I firmly believe that if you are going to own a potentially lethal dog you need to take some extra precautions. We watch her like a hawk even though she has never been aggressive. She occasionally barks in the back yard and I haul azz to make sure things are ok. God forbid some kid hop the wall into our yard to get a ball and our dog bites them. Not happening. Anyway, If I were you I would do what ever is needed to keep the kids safe. It's bad owners like that that give pit bulls such a bad rep.
2013-07-31 1:44 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by desertchica Wow, this makes me really sad as a pit owner. Our pit is the sweetest dog we have had yet (3rd one) and is great with our kids. Why people have to be so irresponsible with their dogs is beyond me. I firmly believe that if you are going to own a potentially lethal dog you need to take some extra precautions. We watch her like a hawk even though she has never been aggressive. She occasionally barks in the back yard and I haul azz to make sure things are ok. God forbid some kid hop the wall into our yard to get a ball and our dog bites them. Not happening. Anyway, If I were you I would do what ever is needed to keep the kids safe. It's bad owners like that that give pit bulls such a bad rep.

aren't all dogs potentially lethal, though?  my schnauzer will draw blood if he bites me - i'm sure his jaw could do serious damage to a little kid.

2013-07-31 1:46 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Originally posted by desertchica

Wow, this makes me really sad as a pit owner. Our pit is the sweetest dog we have had yet (3rd one) and is great with our kids. Why people have to be so irresponsible with their dogs is beyond me. I firmly believe that if you are going to own a potentially lethal dog you need to take some extra precautions. We watch her like a hawk even though she has never been aggressive. She occasionally barks in the back yard and I haul azz to make sure things are ok. God forbid some kid hop the wall into our yard to get a ball and our dog bites them. Not happening. Anyway, If I were you I would do what ever is needed to keep the kids safe. It's bad owners like that that give pit bulls such a bad rep.

Totally agree, its the owners behavior that put us all in a bad situation. Im very happy to say that not 30mins after I started this thread, animal control knocked on the door. Im very surprised it happened today, as we have been asking for help since april. (I sent animal control another email early this am since my wife was visited by the Pit Bull last night in our driveway.) We discussed the situation, and the safety issue with small children in the area. He found the home with animal that fit the description and gave them a warning. Fingers crossed thats the last time we'll have to deal with this. Still, I like the idea of hiring Dirty Harry as a security guard...
2013-07-31 2:17 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by desertchica Wow, this makes me really sad as a pit owner. Our pit is the sweetest dog we have had yet (3rd one) and is great with our kids. Why people have to be so irresponsible with their dogs is beyond me. I firmly believe that if you are going to own a potentially lethal dog you need to take some extra precautions. We watch her like a hawk even though she has never been aggressive. She occasionally barks in the back yard and I haul azz to make sure things are ok. God forbid some kid hop the wall into our yard to get a ball and our dog bites them. Not happening. Anyway, If I were you I would do what ever is needed to keep the kids safe. It's bad owners like that that give pit bulls such a bad rep.

aren't all dogs potentially lethal, though?  my schnauzer will draw blood if he bites me - i'm sure his jaw could do serious damage to a little kid.

We are dog lovers and Pit owner also. Our pit is EXTREMELY gentle, we worked hard as we raised him to teach him to be gentle and submit.

Yes any dog should be watched around children. I put my 5 lb pom-a-poo up in my bedroom when my 1 YO grandson comes over, because you never know. Still, a pit bull's bite would not be like a Schnauzers or a pom-a-poo. A pit's jaws are powerful and able to lock down with hundreds of pounds of pressure, and when in attack mode, this breed usually goes for the throat. Also, if a smaller dog attacked me I could probably kick them away to defend myself but that is most likely not going to happen with a 60-80 lb pit.

We love our pit but no way I would let him roam free around strange people, especially children. If someone else's pit was in my driveway, acting aggressive around my children I would do what i could to alert the owners once, if I felt I could keep my family safe while I did, after that I would protect my family by what ever means necessary.

2013-07-31 2:40 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by Evergreen

We are dog lovers and Pit owner also. Our pit is EXTREMELY gentle, we worked hard as we raised him to teach him to be gentle and submit.

Yes any dog should be watched around children. I put my 5 lb pom-a-poo up in my bedroom when my 1 YO grandson comes over, because you never know. Still, a pit bull's bite would not be like a Schnauzers or a pom-a-poo. A pit's jaws are powerful and able to lock down with hundreds of pounds of pressure, and when in attack mode, this breed usually goes for the throat. Also, if a smaller dog attacked me I could probably kick them away to defend myself but that is most likely not going to happen with a 60-80 lb pit.

We love our pit but no way I would let him roam free around strange people, especially children. If someone else's pit was in my driveway, acting aggressive around my children I would do what i could to alert the owners once, if I felt I could keep my family safe while I did, after that I would protect my family by what ever means necessary.

^^agreed.

It is not just pits, it is any dog that is large enough to do serious permanent damage and/or would be hard for someone to get control of. 

A 15lb dog may be able to draw blood but it is not likely to disfigure someone or kill someone. Also when it attacks it can easily be controlled/punted by an adult if present. 

A pit, german shepard, rotweiller, etc. can do serious damage and/or kill and it can be hard/impossible to control them once they are "in the zone". As such they should not be left to roam and they should not be near kids unsupervised especially kids they don't know or are not in their family unit. I personally would not own a dog of this size because we plan on having kids in the next 5 years or so and also because I live in a neighborhood with lots of kids who ride bikes and roam the neighborhood. Not worth the risk to me that my dog could get out and hurt someone. 

My dog is 40-45lbs and a golden retriever. Not known to be an aggressive breed and if she tried to kill me I am confident I could stop her. The neighborhood kids love her and she loves them but I still won't let her out of my sight/arms reach when they come meet her in my driveway and I don't let her out or to roam. I am 99.99% sure she won't do anything but if she did, she could do moderate damage to an 8 year old kid.  

So yes big dogs are potentially lethal and smaller dogs are usually not. But there is still no reason to let a dog go uncontrolled around strangers. Not worth the risk to the kids/strangers and not worth the risk to the dog who may have a momentary lapse in judgement, bite a kid and earn a death sentence for itself. 

2013-07-31 2:52 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Regular
I suspect the local constabulary WILL respond when advised of shot(s) fired!! (all in the 10 ring of course)
2013-07-31 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by mxr746

First, I love dogs, and currently own a mastiff. Now, the problem. I have three small children that like to play and ride bikes in the driveway. We have been confronted by the same Pit Bull on 4 occasions on our own property. No attacks, but very agressive behavior from the Pit Bull. Our neighbor has been confronted twice on her property. Under local ordinace this constitutes a nuisance animal. I have contacted local animal control 3 times with no responses. We have been in contact with the owner on one occasion while they were walking and searching for their dog. The owner promised it would not continue, but the animal is still going loose. There is a school bus stop where the dog is usually loose as well with grade school kids.
I understand that I could take custody of the animal and bring it to animal control, but I would need a sufficient trap. Any ideas?

Have you tried to call the police to report a threatening animal?

2013-07-31 3:13 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by mxr746 First, I love dogs, and currently own a mastiff. Now, the problem. I have three small children that like to play and ride bikes in the driveway. We have been confronted by the same Pit Bull on 4 occasions on our own property. No attacks, but very agressive behavior from the Pit Bull. Our neighbor has been confronted twice on her property. Under local ordinace this constitutes a nuisance animal. I have contacted local animal control 3 times with no responses. We have been in contact with the owner on one occasion while they were walking and searching for their dog. The owner promised it would not continue, but the animal is still going loose. There is a school bus stop where the dog is usually loose as well with grade school kids. I understand that I could take custody of the animal and bring it to animal control, but I would need a sufficient trap. Any ideas?

The Police won't do much besides write a summons for "Dog at Large" or some similar offense, or have you sign a complaint if they don't witness the dog being loose.  Even our animal control won't take a dog that hasn't bitten someone, if the owner is located.  Lots of dogs bark at people and kids.  Some of them growl at people and kids.  Those are good dogs to stay away from.  If one of those dogs comes on your property where your kids are playing it's a good idea to call the Police.....and be ready to kill the dog.  Unfortunately, it takes an actual bite for a dog to be declared dangerous in most areas.  I'm not willing to wait for that.

2013-07-31 3:24 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mr2tony

The Police won't do much besides write a summons for "Dog at Large" or some similar offense, or have you sign a complaint if they don't witness the dog being loose.  Even our animal control won't take a dog that hasn't bitten someone, if the owner is located.  Lots of dogs bark at people and kids.  Some of them growl at people and kids.  Those are good dogs to stay away from.  If one of those dogs comes on your property where your kids are playing it's a good idea to call the Police.....and be ready to kill the dog.  Unfortunately, it takes an actual bite for a dog to be declared dangerous in most areas.  I'm not willing to wait for that.

who is that a picture of in your avatar?

2013-07-31 10:23 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Evergreen

Off the original topic but I would like to clarify that Pit Bulls do not have any special bite pressure capacity nor do their jaws lock. These are often perpetuated myths (I'm a veterinarian and Pit Bull owner so I do have some education on the matter). They certainly can do damage though, as can ANY large dog. That being said, any loose dog that is threatening warrants a call to the police and/or animal control. That's unacceptable and I hope the OP continues to pursue the problem if threats from the dog continue.
2013-08-01 1:02 PM
in reply to: SpottedCow

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by SpottedCow Off the original topic but I would like to clarify that Pit Bulls do not have any special bite pressure capacity

So all those muscles are just for show?

2013-08-01 5:07 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by SpottedCow Off the original topic but I would like to clarify that Pit Bulls do not have any special bite pressure capacity

So all those muscles are just for show?

Yes! In one study a while ago where the authors measured all sorts of of large dogs biting down on a stick with a pressure transducer (included Pit Bulls, military dogs, police dogs, regular dogs, etc)..... the "winning" dog measuring the highest bite pressure was a Golden Retriever!

I think most truly dangerous of dogs just lack "bite inhibition". They tend to be multiple strike biters. Most dogs will bite once and be done but, the Pit Bulls and other dogs that kill people do not stop biting once they start.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Problem Pit Bull Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pit Bull at the Day Care

Started by bootygirl
Views: 1995 Posts: 24

2011-12-13 1:41 PM Bripod

for all those who HATE pit bulls...

Started by bullyboy
Views: 1437 Posts: 21

2011-03-11 9:36 PM Karibu

A Modest Proposal: Pit Bulls and Humans Pages: 1 2 3

Started by bullyboy
Views: 3449 Posts: 69

2011-01-27 10:28 PM jmcconne

Pit Bulls and Pit Mixes Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by LGraff
Views: 7040 Posts: 126

2011-01-28 9:17 PM bullyboy

Healthcare Problem vs. Diet/Excercise Problem

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1037 Posts: 8

2010-03-04 11:34 AM eberulf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : January 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My symptoms have been present off and on for almost two years. Is this a surgical problem, or should I just keep managing it for as long as I can?
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 1
How triathlons are very similiar to NASCAR.