General Discussion Race Reports! » Warren County Armco Park Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Warren County Armco Park Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lebanon, Ohio
United States
HFP
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 5s
Overall Rank = 27/104
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

I showed up an hour and a half early to the race. I like to get to races early so I can pick a good spot in transition (near the bike exit). I like to have plenty of time to set up my bike and run gear in the transition area, and to soak up the vibe of the race.
Event warmup:

I had visited the area's local tri shop the week before to get info on gear, and I ended up chatting to one of the coaches there. The tri shop had a tent at the race, and I saw him again and chatted a little. I also had an aerobar going crooked on me, and I got that fixed as well.

A nice part of the event was the pre-race prayer. Evidently HFP does that for all of their races.

Everyone headed down to the lake, maybe 300 or 400 yards from transition. Most people were in wet suits (something I'll get for next season), and only a handful of us in swim or tri gear. A number of people were warmup up in their wet suits. I waded into the water (which felt nice actually), but I didn't do any warm up swimming. The only warmup I did was jumping in from the dock and paddling out to the start right before the start.
Swim
  • 17m 34s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was mediocre. I'm still not used to swimming open water, and it took me a couple hundred yards to settle in to feeling comfortable putting my head down to my normal position. That will come with experience, I guess. During the swim I would swim a hundred or two yards, and then flip over and do a little kicking on my back. Being comfortable is such a mental thing. In a straight out lap swim, I would have swum significantly faster. Things to work on.
What would you do differently?:

I need to build up my comfort level in the open water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

It was a pretty straightforward transition. I put on my bike shoes without socks, and I put my running jersey (not my tri top) on in transition, rather than trying to swim in my tri top. The running jersey is much easier to put on, and in such a short race, I don't need anything with pockets.
Bike
  • 41m 12s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.85 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was interesting. Lots of up and downs, which is different from the flat bike trail that I usually ride on. I pretty much hung with the riders that I got out of transition with. There was a little settling out of the field, but I don't remember too much of a position change at the beginning. I was a bit worried about the hills, because it was the small hills on my last race that really hammered me. I tried to not go as all out as the last race, and save some juice for the run.

There was one lady, who must have been doing the Olympic race (not sure), who leapfrogged with me. She passed me first, then, I jumped by her on a climb, and then she passed me on a downhill and so on. I had passed her on a climb, and was going downhill about 35 mph, when a car on the course clogged up my lane. I could have gone by on the right shoulder, but that seemed like a pretty dangerous thing to do, and I had to hit the brakes and follow the lady around to the left of the car. She called over and said that I had made the right decision in a difficult spot. I followed her for a few more miles before passing her on a climb, and then I didn't see her again. As I passed her she told me to stick around for her second lap (the Olympic distance) as I was good to ride with. I told her I was just trying to keep up with her!

I surprised myself on the last third of the ride. I passed a number of people going up hills. I got out of the saddle and basically ran up the hills. I know that got me a number of spots. Maybe there is some hope for me yet on these hills.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get out on the roads and do some rides where there are hills. I think once I get used to riding hills, I'll be averaging over 20 mph regularly.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

T2 is longer than T1 because I put my socks on here. I tied my shoes ahead of time for this race, which saved me some time. I grabbed my Team Revolution headband and headed out for the run feeling pretty good.
Run
  • 21m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started off ok. I was feeling a bit tired from the bike, and was just trying to push through the first mile until my body fully switched over to running mode. I wasn't making any big moves in this portion. I stayed behind the runner ahead of me, though I was following my natural pace rather than his. I passed him after maybe 4/10s of a mile, and picked up steam from there.

I had reset my watch for the run portion, and wanted to see what my first mile time was. I did the first mile in maybe 7:50, which felt real positive. I knew I wasn't overexerting myself, and thought that maybe I could set a good time (my mile times get faster when I do three mile training runs). I hit the halfway spot in a pretty good time, and finished the second mile in 6:xx. It felt real fast, and I was passing a number of people. On the way to the halfway point I had passed a young guy that I had met before the race who was doing his first race. I set a goal to catch him before the end, and I ended up catching him before the second mile marker. I was clicking along pretty good at that point, and the third mile went by quickly. I didn't quite remember where the end of the race was, and so I didn't manage my finishing kick the best, but I still knew that I had run a good time. Here's to some future sub-20 off the bike 5k runs!

(A good time means a lot because I haven't been able to do much running at all this year with an injury I picked up. The 5k time I got is only one second slower than my best official 5k time, which gives me a lot of hope that I can still smash my 5k PR in some race later this fall.)
Post race
Warm down:

The volunteers gave me the finishers medal and took my timing chip off my ankle. I hung around for a short bit, and then loaded my stuff in my car. I went back to check official times, but I haven't been to an HFP race yet where they have posted the results in a timely manner, so I gave up and headed home.

When I checked the race times later, I thought at first that I had finished 3rd in my age group, and I was happy about that. However, the first two had raced in the elite category, so officially I won my age group! Super pumped about that! I know it was a small race, but winning my age group, especially in the toughest age group (M 30-34) was a goal of mine. I know I'll improve in the three disciplines, and I hope to win the age group again sometime.

Last updated: 2013-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:34 | 750 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 48/104
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: Triangle course with a deep water start.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:12 | 12.4 miles | 17.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 29/104
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills the entire course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:58 | 03.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 25/104
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back 5k.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-09 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: Warren County Armco Park Sprint Triathlon

2013-08-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4825387

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Warren County Armco Park Sprint Triathlon

Great RR! And congrats on a 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your run time was smokin'!!!!!!!!! Who am I kiddin, all of your times were smokin'!

I like that you were bike-pace-booty too Wink, the bit about the car in the lane had me nervous while I was reading it. Glad you handled it well. You Rock!

2013-08-09 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
AG win! Congratulations on a great race. Your run would be fast even if you had been able to run your normal amount, so with your downtime it is even more impressive.
2013-08-09 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
DUUUUDDDDEEEE!!!! Great job! You really put in a good effort. Congratulations
2013-08-09 4:41 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Saaaaweeeeet! Now there's more the race you've been waiting for   Glad things went smoothly, and hopefully there's no knee angst going on in the post-race days.
2013-08-09 6:25 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Great job Tom!

2013-08-10 11:18 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Excellent job! Speedy fast run and a 1st in AG. That's super awesome.
2013-08-12 3:08 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Pennsylvania
Great race, Foxy!!  Congrats on the 1st AG!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Warren County Armco Park Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Seminole County Triathletes Sprint Triathlon

Started by flashpoint145
Views: 1200 Posts: 1

2011-08-01 7:26 AM flashpoint145

Warren Parks and Rec Indoor Triathlon

Started by hutch7575
Views: 830 Posts: 1

2008-03-16 5:50 PM hutch7575

South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon

Started by getsome
Views: 1150 Posts: 8

2006-07-13 1:30 PM soozey

Started by soozey
Views: 799 Posts: 3

2006-07-10 11:39 AM getsome

Started by Angie
Views: 1148 Posts: 3

2004-07-13 8:35 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.