Boulder, Colorado
United States
5430 Sports
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Boulder the night before. Got up at 4:15, filled the water bottles, made my english muffin with PB and honey, ate my banana, loaded the car, checked out of the hotel, and drove to the res. Found the wonderful BT ladies and racked up by Stacie, Julia, Jen, and Lilia.
Event warmup:

15 minute jog and a brief swim.
Swim
  • 33m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was not a great swim for me. I think I may have started out too hard, so it took me awhile to get comfortable. This was another brutal start, and continued to be a physical swim throughout. Had someone nearly take my goggles off my head and almost lost a contact. Tried to draft a few times, but each time, as soon as I got settled in, the person would do a frog kick! At least I was trying!
What would you do differently?:

Mind my pacing early, and work on 200 yd sprints, settling in to a more comfortable pace for distance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

This went pretty smoothly.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 26.1 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, I joined the ranks of those who have crashed on the bike leg. I had already passed Old Stage and Lefthand Canyon. I had a hard time staying within the speed limit on Lefthand. Got out to Nelson and really started to fly. I passed a few folks and was getting comfortable. The road was newly paved and the shoulder is not yet graded. I looked down at my HRM and computer, started drifting to the edge, tried to correct, but couldn't, went off the edge (a 6 inch drop), and went down. I must have rolled as I fell, because I have abrasions and road rash on all sides of my body. I got up and tried to get my bike going again, but couldn't get the crank to turn. I was having trouble using my left hand to lift the rear or turn the crank. Finally a volunteer on a motorcycle shoed up, and talked me into giving up the ghost.

He hid my bike among some heavy equipment, and told me to get on the back of his bike. I hate motorcycles. I have had too many friends/family members seriously injured in motorcycle crashes. I don't allow my husband on motorcycles, but it was the only way back to transition. The wind involved in riding on a motorcycle going 30-40 mph is not nice in raw skin.

Don't look down.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Once I got back to transition, the folks at medical were wonderful. Evidently a couple of people had reported my crash, and the race officials had been looking for me. They checked out my wrist, told me it would need an x ray, splinted it, cleaned and dressed my wounds, and called my husband (gave him a good scare).

Hubby was in a coffee shop watching the tour, and did a major TT on his mountain bike to get to me. Apparently the folks at the info table were unaware of where the medical tent was, so the couldn't help him locate me. On his way, he spotted the BT crew, who came to see me.

Huge thanks to Julia and Stacie for helping me get cleaned up and changed into more comfortable duds (my tri shorts were shredded and among other things my right cheek was hanging out). Hubby and I had to go back out on the course to pick up the bike, then went to the ER for x rays and further wound cleaning/dressing. Turns out I have a broken wrist.

Major Thanks to Matt and Jen who came to the hospital and helped us get my car back home, allowing me to take the percocet the docs were offering me ;) . The entire Colorado BT crew was wonderful. I could not ask for better friends. This community is amazing!

Event comments:

5430 puts on a great event, and once I got to the Med tent, my treatment was fantastic. However, after the accidents they experienced last year at the Boulder Peak, I would have expected their accident response system to be better. An injured athlete should not have to ride on the back of a motorcycle to get to treatment.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:22 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: U shaped course that started out going directly into the sun!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 26.1 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2006-07-24 11:00 AM
in reply to: #490983

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon

oh MAN... and you're feeling okay today, i hope? you know, i as i was flying through the canyon and afterwards i kept thinking "holy cow, if i crash it's going to f'ING hurt" -- so my thoughts are out to you. i am happy to hear that your injuries were not seriously worse -- someone was lookin' out for you  =)

anyway, you started out GREAT! hopefully your wrist will heal up enough so you can finish out your season

sara

2006-07-24 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Glad you are ok. With the speeds on Nelson Rd. it could probably have been much worse.
2006-07-24 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
With a broken wrist, I hope that you dictated your RR to Ocky and made him type! Hopefully the 4-6 weeks goes by quickly for you and it's not too much of an impediment. Nice to see you at Mark & Michelle's afterwards. Frankly, I was pretty surprised you were there.
2006-07-24 2:55 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
I agree about the motorcycle ride that is BS!  I am glad you were not seriously injured and could still come hang out!  Next year!
2006-07-24 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I hope you were drugged up enough last night to get some sleep! Sleeping while covered in road rash is NOT comfortable!  I'm heartbroken FOR you about the broken wrist and not being able to do the half, but I'm glad the injuries weren't worse. Crashing at 30mph+ is SCARY. I'm sure you were on your way to a great result though   Now you can just focus all your mental energy on IMCDA, right?!?!?!

2006-07-24 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

So sorry about the accident   I will say that you are ONE TOUGH CHICK!!  I was shocked to see you at Mark's and I can honestly say you are the woman!  Sorry you'll be missing out on a few races, but I hope the recovery is speedy!  Hope to see you soon

2006-07-24 10:39 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
OUCHIE!  I hope you recovery quickly!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed