5430 Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 52s
Overall Rank = 588/1422
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 79/140
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Boulder the night before. Woke up at 4 in the morning with the help of two wake-up calls and two alarm clocks since I'm a little neurotic about not wanting to oversleep. Nonetheless, I woke up at 3:59 on my own. Showered and tried eating, though I had a hard time putting down solid food. Had a (very) little bit of a bagel, a banana, and a Clif bar, as well my as my Cytomax Pre-Formance. A trip to the bathroom and then we packed up the car (Adam - Gearwhore and Julia - juliapurr) and went to the race. Set up transition in a pretty good spot right on the end and went to the bathroom again. Popped imodium, which came back to haunt me (along with other things) later and hung out a little bit and warmed up.
Event warmup:

Went for a warm-up rum with Mark (markdills38), Adam, and Matt (Blackbud) and then Adam and I went for an quick bike ride to run through the gears and make sure there weren't any problems. Started to put on my wetsuit and walked down to the beach. Adam and I walked over to see where the swim exit was and on the way back I was feeling like I needed to gag and ended up throwing up in the trash can. Twice. My stomach felt really bloated (I'm guessing from the immodium?) as it had a little bit the night before. After yacking I put my gameface back on and headed over to the swim start. Got in the water and it was go time.
Swim
  • 29m 45s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started the swim at the front right, figuring it's better to let faster swimmers pass me than have to fight through others myself. First 200m was good, but from 300m - 600m I felt like I was in the middle of all 140 people in our AG swim start. I was trapped inside of about 5 people all swimming together and there was no rhythm. After that separated I got going and felt good. Breathing was feeling good and sighting wasn't an issue. Next thing I knew I was rounding the buoy to head to shore and wasn't having any problems with the swim, which is fantastic for me. I did end up getting hit in the head and my goggles fell off, to which I was a little pissed at first and then just figured it's part of racing so who cares. Fixed that problem and went into shore. When I got out of the water my watch said 29'45" and my goal time was 30'. Ended up being a 1'59"/100m swim for me, which is a PR. And since my t-pace is 1'58"/100m (over 1000m), I basically held that for another 500m so I'm really happy with the swim. I felt like I could've kept going too, which gives me confidence for the half.

Total swim time of 30'39" includes my run up to transition.
What would you do differently?:

See if I could draft better maybe? I tried when I could, but I was kind of stuck between the fast swimmers and the not as fast swimmers, and was in no man's land.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Running up to transition there was a wall of people that was hard to get by. Granted, it was only a few seconds, but after looking at the results, if I would have been okay on the run and hit my goal time of 2:30:00, there were 6 people that finished between that and 2:31:00 so those seconds count.

Not be as reluctant to go through/around the people.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Saw Julia right away on the bike, which means she had a good swim since she started 5 minutes behind me and passed me in the water. Got going, but had a hard time getting my legs under me, which I chalked up to the additional time in the water (compared to a sprint). Leading up to Olde Stage, I didn't want to blow out my legs so I kept an average cadence of 90+ and had confidence my legs would come around, which they did. Was sipping from my water bottle, which had 200 calories of Cytomax in it, and somewhere just before the hill started I thought I put it back in my saddlewing. Come to find out at the top of the hill, I must have temporarily balanced it and missed the cage since it fell out, which was where my problems started getting worse. Going up OS hill was tough, but do-able and I passed several people. I switched my cassette to a 12-27 two days before, and even though I could make it up in a 12-25, I was happy to have the two extra teeth. There were people standing up after the first pitch of the hill, all along the road with cowbells, cheering, etc. so that was pretty cool and motivating. Once at the top (after the aid station) I went for my bottle and it was gone. Not so good.The decent was fun, ableit slightly hindered by the 35 mph speed limit. That was only for 2/3? mile so it wasn't that big of a deal. Once things flattened out I held a steady pace at about 90 rpms. Finally hit another aid station and got a bottle of water and sipped on that on the way in to the end of the bike.

My goal time on the bike was 1:15:00 and I came in at 1:15:11 so close enough (though I'd be happier if it were 11" under rather than over).

Not lose my water bottle with all (almost) of my nutrition in it. Also, I think I could go harder on the bike, but I don't know where the line is that going too hard will make me blow up on the run so my gameplan has been to spin around 90 rpms and see what happens.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Slight problem dismounting, and then getting my running shoes on. T2 needs to improve.

Yo no se.
Run
  • 1h 03m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the beginning of the end. Having taken in minimal (at best) liquids and calories on the bike, my first 300 yards was alright and then my stomach shut down. It was basically like having a side ache, but in my stomach. I tried running through it but every step made it knot tighter and hurt more so I had to stop. I walked a few steps and tried running again, but the same. I considered a DNF but then thought I'd walk to the aid station at mile 1 and see how I felt. Every time someone would pass me I'd try and run to keep up, hopeful it would come around, but no luck. At the aid station I downed water and gatorade. My body wanted to reject that too, but I gagged it down figuring if I threw it up, who cares. Ended up walking the second mile and repeated at the aid station there. Same for the 3rd. I tried running no fewer than 30 times, thinking I'd be able to sustain a minor jog at least, but to no avail. At the turn around Stacie (luv2ride) passed me and I figured she'd be running an 8:30-ish pace so I'd see if I could hold that and was able to for most of that mile. Then everything started feeling better and my body improved so I ran the last two miles back in at about a 7:30 pace. I've never been more frustrated in a race than having to sit there and have everyone pass me without being able to do a thing about it. I will say that the other athletes were great, offering encouragement, gels, etc., which was nice.

The end was lined with all sorts of fans cheering on both sides, then turn to the chute, hear your name announced and finish with an ice cold towel draped over your shoulders, which was perfect.

Nutrition on the bike, nutrition on the bike, a thousand times nutrition on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to Mark and then went to disarm myself before talking to anyone else.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition, stomach.

Event comments:

There's a reason this race sells out every year and has representation from 48? 49? states - if there's a better run event out there somewhere, I'd like to see it. It starts on time and had sky divers carrying the flag, the volunteers were fantastic, the crowds were great, it's well-marked with plenty of aid stations, and they had the pros come in at the end so you could watch them fly through. Pretty neat to be able to watch Tim Deboom, Amanda Lovato, etc. roll through while you're hanging out afterwards. No reason not to do this race again.

Last updated: 2006-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:45 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/140
Overall: 581/1422
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: Triangular (essentially) with three turns. The way out was into the sun and then it turned and straightened out and turned once more for the way back in.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:11 | 26.2 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Overall: 224/1422
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: One loop, including Olde Stage Hill, which is ~ 15% grade for 2/3 of a mile (or so I'm told). The rest is flat to gently rolling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:03:48 | 06.21 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 1097/1422
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back along the dam with a couple minor rollers on a dirt road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Boulder Peak

2006-07-24 12:32 PM
in reply to: #491222

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak
DAMN IT!  I think I'm almost as frustrated for you as you are with that race.  I know you could have hit or beat your goal time.  As to the question - forget it or learn from it?  I will always say learn from it - there's a lot to take away from that race, even if some of it is negative.
2006-07-24 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Ouch. I think it shows even more that you just grinded thru it no matter how bad it got. Nicely done.
2006-07-24 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Nice work getting through that pain on the run... Boulder Res. is the worst place to run (sick or not)... It's like being lost in the desert even when your healthy. Your swim was awesome!
2006-07-24 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I think you get a lot of credit for not DNF-ing. I felt your pain out there last year, so I know how awful it is to have to walk when surrounded by 1600 of your closest friends. I'm sure you're sick of hearing it, but we all have bad days - it's just a part of the game. Next year, you will redeem yourself. I speak from experience
2006-07-24 2:29 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

hey, CONGRATS on your swim PR! that's a bonus when it happens on race day! and even though you had some frustrating things happen during your race, you dug deep and kept it going. i think it shows a strong mind when you battle with the thought of throwing in the towel. great job on stickin' it through - i imagine you would've beaten yourself up a LOT worse had you quit.

just think - next year you'll beat your time for SURE and with another year of training your goal will be to finish in under 2:25! so, on that note, CHEERS!

(it's ALWAYS a learning experience, no matter what it is. nothing happens for nothing)

2006-07-24 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
I honestly can not imagine doing a 2:30+ hour race with the taste of vomit in my mouth. Nice work non-the-less.
2006-07-24 2:37 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Yep these kind of days happen!  You had an awesome swim bike and you know you can run, so no more immodium the day before.  Way to finish and thanks for having some beers with me.
2006-07-24 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

First of all - So Sorry about the crappy run.  I know it's going to happen to me some day.  And I think do both - learn about it and then forget about it.  Second of all Congrats on the other parts of the race.  For someone who puked before even starting, your swim and bike were right on! 

Interesting comment about the wall of people going into T1.  I also hit them coming out of the water and was one of the pushy ones and got through there - it WAS obviously worth it since I actually came out of T before you

2006-07-24 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Ryan, it sounds like you had a rough time with the run, but overall I think you did very well brother.
2006-07-24 10:31 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Good race despite the run.  I had the same problem...stomach was doing somersaults for the first three miles.  The slowest of slow jogs was all I could do!

Way to tough it out!

2006-07-25 11:02 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Good race. Just think you NAILED 2/3 of it! And running will be your strength, as that is your body type - very nice swim and bike splits - the run - you'll get that fixed next time. Keep at it!
2006-07-25 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Great job to get through that run! Sorry your stomach wasn't cooperating. Great swim and bike!
2006-07-25 7:20 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Sounds like you recovered and finished the run pretty strong, and you got some good encouragment along the way. You'll nail it start to finish next time. Great race!
2006-07-26 7:27 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Wow, Ryan. Congrats on that great swim! You must feel really good about that. I wish you hadn't have had that bad run, cuz you would have had a GREAT race otherwise. Hope everything goes better next time, cuz youor training is amazing and you are primed to have a solid, awesome race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Rss Feed