Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-02 2:39 PM
in reply to: lebowski

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: near tragedy
Glad your son is okay; very scary situation!

Do you know how much water he was actually consuming during the bike? There's a big difference between one and two bottles and also the size of the bottles.

Was he drinking to thirst or trying to consume a certain amount of water each hour?

Do you know if he was weighed before and after?

Do you know what kind of gels?

Shane

2013-09-02 2:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

As TriToy said, dehydration and hyponatremia can look similar, but in this case the evidence
points to hyponatremia.

I think it is important to expand on the comment: 'dehydration and hyponatremia look similiar'.

We are talking about athletes who are racing and therefore undergoing loss of body fluid via
sweat/heat production. Their water metabolism and electrolytes get messed up, they get dehydrated and
try to fix this by drinking water and electrolyte solutions during the race.

Figuring out nutritional and fluid needs during a race is the important 4th discipline.
(There is a lot of information about this elsewhere...)

Often, the rehydration is too much and the blood sodium becomes low. This is actually called
'exercise associated hyponatremia'. We are not talking about people who are hyponatremic BEFORE the race.
They become volume depleted and dehydrated, variably, during the race.

Many athlete's are likely a bit dehydrated and hyponatremic after races. (You don't know someone's blood
sodium level without a blood test, but you can get an ideal of their hydration status by looking at the urine or
knowing the change in your weight.)

Of the people who are were dehydrated, some people become hyponatremic with excessive water intake
and possibly due to ADH secretion. I will not go into mechanism of action etc, but these people were previously
dehydrated and some (I believe one of the Boston marathon studies quoted ~13% of runners in their study, with
studies ranging from 0-18%) became hyponatremic=low serum sodium. This was more likely to occur with duration
of the activity-ie 5 hr marathoners were more likely to have this occur than 3 hr marathoners. The incidence in
ultra runners is much higher.

The problem comes with volume repletion. In fact, without adequate testing, you really do not know whether the
sodium is high or low. Hypernatremia was more common than hypo in several studies of collapsed athletes due to
loss of water>salt. These people were still volume depleted and needed IVF's.

The current recommendation during races is to drink when you start to get thirsty. Many athletes overdo it and many
do not hydrate well enough. We all should learn to manage our fluids better.

If hyponatremia is documented after the race, and there is no sign of severe neuro symptoms, then the actual first
treatment is fluid restriction, due to previous overhydration and dilution of the sodium present in the vascular space
(and often the presence of ADH.) Hypertonic saline can be given by those experienced with it and it is usually only
small doses...

As I have already said, people need to become better in tune with their bodies and make good decisions about
hydration/nutrition-especially during hot weather.

I am very glad he is ok, and I'm sure I'd have been very nervous if it were my son having a seizure after a race.

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-02 2:53 PM
2013-09-02 4:22 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Champion
New York, NY
The rule for giving hypertonic saline at both Boston and NY is transport - you have to monitor carefullly.

If spot electrolytes show MILD hyponatremia we will give small amounts of normal saline and get them to drink broth...

but yes, in athletes the 2 conditions (dehydration and hyponatremia) look very similar. Very different from what you see in the regular population.
2013-09-02 8:04 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by lebowski

I just got back from IMKY where my son competed in the event . At mile 13 of the run, he collapsed. When I got to him, he had the appearance of dehydration; dry mucous membranes, no urine output, severe cramping, etc. I immediately tried to hydrate him with water, about 30 ounces. After about 20 minutes, no improvement so we went to medical. In medical ,he was given Normal saline for 2 liters . I insisted they check a set of electrolytes and his sodium was 123. After no improvement, we went to the local hospital. To make a long story short, he had a seizure and was admitted to ICU. His ct originally showed cerebral edema. After 3 days he woke up and is now fine. His nutrition was on the bike, 3 gels, granola bar and 1 or 2 bottles of water an hour. on the run , 2 gels, 1 granola bar per hour with 3 cups of water and 1 or 2 electrolyte solution per mile. the run was 92 degrees with 60-70 humidity. He is 6'4 about 150. Also, he had a CK max of !8,000 that maxed after 3-4 days. I would appreciate any help with this.

How scary! Glad he is recovering!

3 gels and a granola bar for a 112 mile bike? Please tell me he ate more! That's NOTHING. Typically people aim for 200-300 calories an hour in the form or liquid or solid nutrition.

2013-09-03 9:43 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

coleman,texas
That was per hour. he was taking in about 500 calories per hour.
2013-09-03 9:48 AM

User image

coleman,texas
Originally posted by dtoce
do you have a good source that you recommend for the race fluid and electrolyte needs? My coach says no more than 250 cal per hour and the fluid is variable.

As TriToy said, dehydration and hyponatremia can look similar, but in this case the evidence
points to hyponatremia.

I think it is important to expand on the comment: 'dehydration and hyponatremia look similiar'.

We are talking about athletes who are racing and therefore undergoing loss of body fluid via
sweat/heat production. Their water metabolism and electrolytes get messed up, they get dehydrated and
try to fix this by drinking water and electrolyte solutions during the race.

Figuring out nutritional and fluid needs during a race is the important 4th discipline.
(There is a lot of information about this elsewhere...)

Often, the rehydration is too much and the blood sodium becomes low. This is actually called
'exercise associated hyponatremia'. We are not talking about people who are hyponatremic BEFORE the race.
They become volume depleted and dehydrated, variably, during the race.

Many athlete's are likely a bit dehydrated and hyponatremic after races. (You don't know someone's blood
sodium level without a blood test, but you can get an ideal of their hydration status by looking at the urine or
knowing the change in your weight.)

Of the people who are were dehydrated, some people become hyponatremic with excessive water intake
and possibly due to ADH secretion. I will not go into mechanism of action etc, but these people were previously
dehydrated and some (I believe one of the Boston marathon studies quoted ~13% of runners in their study, with
studies ranging from 0-18%) became hyponatremic=low serum sodium. This was more likely to occur with duration
of the activity-ie 5 hr marathoners were more likely to have this occur than 3 hr marathoners. The incidence in
ultra runners is much higher.

The problem comes with volume repletion. In fact, without adequate testing, you really do not know whether the
sodium is high or low. Hypernatremia was more common than hypo in several studies of collapsed athletes due to
loss of water>salt. These people were still volume depleted and needed IVF's.

The current recommendation during races is to drink when you start to get thirsty. Many athletes overdo it and many
do not hydrate well enough. We all should learn to manage our fluids better.

If hyponatremia is documented after the race, and there is no sign of severe neuro symptoms, then the actual first
treatment is fluid restriction, due to previous overhydration and dilution of the sodium present in the vascular space
(and often the presence of ADH.) Hypertonic saline can be given by those experienced with it and it is usually only
small doses...

As I have already said, people need to become better in tune with their bodies and make good decisions about
hydration/nutrition-especially during hot weather.

I am very glad he is ok, and I'm sure I'd have been very nervous if it were my son having a seizure after a race.

2013-09-03 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
I'm glad your son is fine.....and lots of good stuff here.  I'm curious, how old is he?
2013-09-03 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

do you have a good source that you recommend for the race fluid and electrolyte needs? My coach says no more than 250 cal per hour and the fluid is variable.

I'm sure others will chime in. I am still trying to figure this triathlon thing out for myself and although there is a lot of information out there, we all have our own biases. This isn't reinventing the wheel and we shold take advantage of the information available. There are always lively discussions on ST about this also.

I think 250-400 cal/hour seems right. Fluid should be around 16-20 oz/hour. Prerace hydration, appropriate carbo loading to maximize glycogen stores is important too. This is presuming an 'endurance event', ie one that takes 90+ minutes to complete and therefore the need for supplement during the activity arises. (long course triathlon, marathon, ultra for the most part). There are some thoughts that the calories should be 3:1 (liquid: solid).

Absorption is variable and dependent on hydration status, weather and activity.( I simply canot eat anything late in the bike of 70.3's -or longer, as I get very sick to mystomach until about 10-15 minutes of the run .From what I've read, this is not uncommon.)

I was intrigued by some of the older articles, especially one from Dr. Noake's about proper hydration stragegy back in the 80s. (If you want to create an uproar at BT, just start talking about the 'central governor hypothesis' of his regarding fatigue...ha).

Here is an older article from RW talking about this and the changes that were starting to come about. We won't go back to the mid60's and the evolution of Gatorade...

http://www.runnersworld.com/drinks-hydration/how-much-should-you-dr...

Here's a better guide from EN, IMO.

http://endurancedoc.com/Nutrition/Nutrition_raceday.htm

I like this summary about hydration and running-more recent and relevant in terms of just summarizing what I've previiously said about being smart and drinking when thirsty.

http://running.about.com/od/nutritionandhydration/a/hydration101.ht...

Remember, this is just my opinion...and these are generalizations.

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-03 12:18 PM
2013-09-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

coleman,texas
2013-09-03 2:15 PM

User image

coleman,texas
my coach says to take no more than 250 cal per hour. Your estimates on the fluid is about what I do. Its good to know that others get nauseated at the end of the bike. Do you just keep up the same plan during the run ? All of this is great info, thanks
2013-09-03 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

my coach says to take no more than 250 cal per hour. Your estimates on the fluid is about what I do. Its good to know that others get nauseated at the end of the bike. Do you just keep up the same plan during the run ? All of this is great info, thanks

I'm neurotic as hell in trying to get my calories in but have struggled to find the best 'mix' for long bike and best type of drink so that I wouldn't slosh around or make me feel sick/full. I had issues with swallowing air and having a 'full' feeling in my stomach when pushing the pace or if it were really hot out and I was trying to keep up with additional sweat losses...anyway...The use of pepcid/gasX and tums helps if I have issues on occasion and I keep some in my bento box-just in case.

I aim for 250-300cal/hr on the bike and drink my premix or G2 as my preferred starting 'drink' on my bike for 1/2IM or longer. The premix is now hammer/perpetuem (so many of them are simply awful tasting, so there is great variability in what we all can stomach-ha, endurox=blech to me). I add EFS lytes-several scoops and several hundred calories. I try to stay close to 3:1 on the liquid/solid cals.

On the run, I cannot get more than 200cal/hr in me-especially when it's hot. Lately, I've been using bumpy nerds because I'm sick of gels. Gels are easy on the stomach but get pretty mundane after a while...I like taste of these and sports beans.

I'd again suggest experimenting in training.

I do know this from my training: if I feel thirsty on the bike, I'll be in trouble on the run and really have to drink a lot more after the first 10 minutes or so. I usually have to cut my pace down also at that point, because I'm on the edge of a bonk.

check out the EN articlethat I posted. I think it's very helpful.

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-03 2:37 PM

2013-09-03 2:56 PM

User image

coleman,texas
that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks. BTW my son is fine and is already training again for another. I have to take some Pride in his never give up attitude. I have IMFL in November, my partners, in a stern discussion, called me stupid for going ahead. All I could say is ....... Stupid is as Stupid does.
2013-09-03 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

....... Stupid is as Stupid does.

that's me too, Forrest!
Good luck to you both at your next race!
2013-09-03 5:02 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
There is a lot of trial and error getting nutrition tuned - and it is so variable between people and the weather!
Sodium needs especially can vary

he might want to do a sweat test (some people lose more electrolytes than others) - you can run it at your standard lab in a plain tube.

and he should definitely know his sweat rate - so weight before and after riding/running - accounting for fluid intake. You don't need to necessarily replace 1:1 while racing but leading up to it it is important to know
2013-09-03 5:36 PM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

coleman,texas
Thanks, good idea
2013-09-04 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
BTW, I would bonk on 250 cal / hour. I don't have GI Issues until about 450/hour.

My sweet spot is between 325 and 375 / hour depending on the temperature and difficulty of the course. My personal belief is that too many athletes keep their caloric intake TOO LOW during a race. When I am racing, I want to add as much gasoline (food) as possible to the engine (my stomach) without running too rich (GI issues). When you want your car to go as fast as possible, you have to know that you will be using more gas, right?

2013-09-04 9:27 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Your coach needs to up his/her game. Blanket statements like that are stupid. What if you weigh 110 lbs? What if you weigh 230?

You should aim for 4-6 calories/kg/hour while on the bike. This gives you quite a range. Part of practicing your nutrition while training is figuring out where on that scale you fall. At 70 kg, I take in around 320 calories/hour on the bike. I can't take in nearly that much on the run. I would be lucky to take in 150-200 calories/hour (2-3 calories/kg/hour goal) while on an IM run. If I have fueled appropriately on the bike that is enough.

From your original post it sounds like your son was flying by the seat of his pants as far as nutrition. He may have been more nutritionally specific than you posted, but eating a 'couple' of granola bars per hour and a 'couple' gels per hour and drinking a 'couple' bottles of water per hour is a recipe for disaster at this kind of distance and effort level. You need to have a nutritional plan and execute the plan.

I have posted my plan for HIM and IM distance on this site multiple times. It works great for me but I have adjusted and modified it over time to make it work. I definitely am worlds away from the nutritional plan I used at my first long course race. PM me if you want all of the details. It works for me. Your son would have to practice and see if he can make it work for him.
2013-09-04 9:33 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

coleman,texas
actually he was very regimented on his nutrition. Those numbers were my recollection. I wrote this, not him. As for the 250 cal/hour, he says that is due to absorption. I do agree that we all need more help on this , that is why I posted.
2013-09-04 10:08 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

actually he was very regimented on his nutrition. Those numbers were my recollection. I wrote this, not him. As for the 250 cal/hour, he says that is due to absorption. I do agree that we all need more help on this , that is why I posted.

You can likely absorb 4-6 calories/kg/hour (on the bike while going at IM pace). If you weigh 50 kg, that is 200-300 calories/hour that you can reasonably expect your stomach to absorb. If you weigh 100 kg you might be closer to 400-600 calories per hour on the bike (assuming that 100 kg isn't 40 kg of fat and 60 kg of lean mass ).

You are probably burning 10-15 calories/kg/hour while racing at IM pace. There is no way in hell your gut can absorb that. The goal of IM nutrition is to take in as much as your gut will tolerate to stave off glycogen depletion while not tipping over to GI upset. Taking in 10 calories/kg/hour sounds great but the nausea and bloating and diarrhea that it would cause would be pretty miserable. That is why people train to try to find their 'sweet-spot' nutritionally. Trying things out for the first time on race day is not good but I think it happens a lot.

I know that your son's nutrition is your recollection, not his, but it sounds like something he made up because he thought it would give him a lot of energy. The plan, as you posted...... is not a good plan.

Granola. Hard to digest. Not a lot of readily available carbs. Likely to sit in your gut and not do much. Really, zero electrolytes. Almost no one uses this as their nutritional source while racing (but they can be nice when you get hungry on a long bike ride )

Gels. Good carbohydrate source. Electrolytes variable (some have none). Need to remember to take them on a schedule. Can be a source of osmotic load in the gut if not taken with water. A lot of people use this as their primary glucose source.

Water. Great hydration source. No electrolytes.

I can't see where your son was getting much in the way of electrolytes (maybe his gels were high in electrolytes--I don't know and it seems like you don't either). He may have been drinking too much water on a schedule.....

Clearly, something he was doing did not work well. All of the training in the world can be for nothing if you don't have a good plan (and a backup plan) on how to fuel yourself over 9-17 hours. Having a 3:00 marathon in your back pocket isn't worth much if you are lying on the side of the road.

I am very glad that he is doing so well. There are multiple plans that can be found on the internet. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. I use a modified version of the Infinit all liquid plan. You can call someone at Infinit and discuss nutritional plans, free of charge. It might be a good place to start.
2013-09-04 10:35 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

coleman,texas
powergel 200 mg Na/ gel pack x3 600mg Na
the granola bar was a peanut salt and sweet bar with 100mg
2-4 endurolytes per hour 80-160 mg

so on the average, he took 780-860 mg Na per hour.
He followed the advanced Fink plan.
2013-09-04 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I'm really glad to hear that your son is better - what a scary experience for both of you.

Nutrition can be a tricky beast - what works for one person may not work for anyone else.  I hope your son figures out what works best for him, and best wishes to you both. 

2013-09-04 11:05 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by lebowski powergel 200 mg Na/ gel pack x3 600mg Na the granola bar was a peanut salt and sweet bar with 100mg 2-4 endurolytes per hour 80-160 mg so on the average, he took 780-860 mg Na per hour. He followed the advanced Fink plan.

Do some research on Endurolyte...very little Na per pill. Others like Salt Stick have 3-4x as much.

2013-09-04 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Another doc here.  Sports trained ortho, done a few ironmans.  HEAVY salt sweater.  I agree with TriToy.  He needs to do a sweat test and also find out how much sodium he is loosing so he can replace appropriately.  There is no disagreement that this was hyponatremia.   I wen to a very interesting lecture series at the American College of sports medicine a few years ago on this topic.  I would also have him checked by a nephrologist to be sure all the water balancing hormones (I'm a pod I don't do this everyday and don't want to name the wrong thing)  are OK.  I also had read another article about a  pro triathlete who was a super heavy salty sweater and it tunred out she had a recessive gene for CF so that is another thought.   Not sure where you all are located but I know you can get the testing done at the Gatorade insitute which I think is in GA, the Ironman center in Houston at Memorial Hermann andprobably at the national training center in Clermont FL. Less water, more sports drink and electtrolytes.  LAva salts makes a good product.  They have a powder without flavor you can add to anything.  Also they have capsules. Salt stick makes a good product.  My opinion is that enduralytes are pssing in the wind.   Not enought lytes

Edited by Socks 2013-09-04 12:14 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » near tragedy Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

sierra century tragedy

Started by rnspamela
Views: 818 Posts: 2

2006-06-04 6:57 PM Dlaxman31

Boulder Peak Tragedy

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 569 Posts: 1