General Discussion Triathlon Talk » $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-09-03 5:10 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible
Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jford2309

Originally posted by Rogillio

Just becuase they posted those rules does not absolve them of liability.  

I have a related question on this for the legal types. At my local YMCA they post in the locker rooms that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items. But some are saying they are? How does that work?

I have had a cell phone stolen out of a locker at the YMCA - literally the only time I've forgotten my lock and risked it. Lesson learned.

As I read this, I am thinking you placed it in a locker without a lock????? is that right?  Not sure anyway they could be held responsible there.

Right. And I also place my bike in transition without a lock, yet some are saying the race organizers should be held responsible. Maybe an unequal comparison in terms of dollars but the same in theory....

The situation I was referring to is when they give you a basket to put you stuff in and you give them the basket and they give you a ticket or number. In that situation you have a reasonable expectation that since they accepted custody of your stuff they are responsible if something is stolen.

A cell phone is probably not worth the cost and hassle of a civil suit but a $10k bike certainly would be. In Alabama it only costs about $70 to file a civil suite....and I think the bike case would have been settled quickly w/o ever going to court.

I don't think liability would necessarily be 100% certain. Assuming, the waiver would be held void, one would still have to prove either breach of the [presumed] bailment or negligence claim. We don't know what, if any, precautions were taken here and what would be deemed reasonable.

That said, it's pretty bad for the company to take no responsibility, if nothing else than purely from a PR perspective.

------

I think there would be a market for a gps locator that could be easily/discretely placed on the bike to help in this scenario.

Edited by Ridgeway 2013-09-03 5:12 PM

2013-09-03 7:20 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Subject: RE: $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible
Originally posted by Aarondb4

...Also, I didn't think there was crime in Canada???  

A lot of Americans come up here for races. Wink

2013-09-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pearland,Tx

Interesting story out of Canada.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/story.html?id=8860346&fb_comment_id=fbc_632912670072367_100964583_633218426708458#f26bbfdd48

She said the responsibility of keeping a bike safe ultimately rests with the competitors themselves.

“First and foremost it’s the athletes’ responsibility for their equipment and their gear. We advertise that so when they sign up for the event they are aware of it,” she said. “We do have transition zone volunteers as well as our own staff, but they are not watching an athlete take their bike from transition while the event is going on.

“We are not responsible for monitoring their equipment.”

Thanks or posting my family was planning on going Canada and i plan to do one of their Ultra Duathlons . Somersault.ca is banned in my list and to be announced to my mentor group.
2013-09-03 7:41 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro
Originally posted by strykergt

Interesting story out of Canada.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/story.html?id=8860346&fb_comment_id=fbc_632912670072367_100964583_633218426708458#f26bbfdd48

She said the responsibility of keeping a bike safe ultimately rests with the competitors themselves.

“First and foremost it’s the athletes’ responsibility for their equipment and their gear. We advertise that so when they sign up for the event they are aware of it,” she said. “We do have transition zone volunteers as well as our own staff, but they are not watching an athlete take their bike from transition while the event is going on.

“We are not responsible for monitoring their equipment.”

Thanks or posting my family was planning on going Canada and i plan to do one of their Ultra Duathlons . Somersault.ca is banned in my list and to be announced to my mentor group.

My family is boycotting the entire country.

2013-09-03 8:04 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-03 8:06 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-09-03 8:10 PM

Veteran
Great White North
Looks like Somersault.ca is not sanctioned by Triathlon Ontario/TriCan.
2013-09-03 8:36 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
, California

Originally posted by Rogillio I think the best thing an RD can do to help avoid theft from the transisiton area is to mount security cameras to record activities in the transition area. Such camera systems are only a couple hundred buck. I think making it known that the area is under video survelance would be a huge deterrant to theft.

In Western Australia, they took photos of us with our bikes as we were entering transition to drop them off...

2013-09-03 9:22 PM

Pearland,Tx
2013-09-03 9:28 PM

2013-09-04 1:35 AM
in reply to: 0

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by Left Brain family is boycotting the entire country.
. I'm recommending a mass American boycott of Canada. Anything short of this would be a failure....

As the song goes ... "Blame Canada!"

The REAL crime here is THIS hydration setup on a 10K bike ... I mean, what was he thinking?!

A lot of bad stuff went down at IMJ but the SECURITY--event, transition, gear, on-course, etc etc--in a country where nobody really steals anything anyway was spectacular.

All people dealing with transition and bags areas had checklists of competitors names and numbers in both Japanese and Romanji (English) AND pre and post race you had to show picture ID at these areas to get yourself and equipment in and out (in addition to race numbers being plastered everywhere). This all had to match up with your bracelet and their checklist.

During the race, leaving transition, people were checking that your required-worn race number matched your bike and helmet number.

At Melbourne 2012, there were a bunch of logistical nightmares meaning that anyone could have left the final bike-park area with anybody's bike. Some pros' bikes were still there and I could have just taken one and wandered out. All the gear, too.

Edited by TriAya 2013-09-04 1:36 AM

2013-09-04 1:41 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Veteran
Berlin, Germany
Originally posted by bcagle25

But this got me back to thinking about bike out. Say you are in a race going into T1 and spot a awesome bike you want, why not just grab it and ride it away like you are racing and never come back.

Why wouldn't there be volunteers / security at T1 checking that the bike label number and the helmet/painted number agree with each other? Seems easy enough at a minimum ... ??
2013-09-04 2:01 AM
in reply to: spudone

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Rogillio I think the best thing an RD can do to help avoid theft from the transisiton area is to mount security cameras to record activities in the transition area. Such camera systems are only a couple hundred buck. I think making it known that the area is under video survelance would be a huge deterrant to theft.

In Western Australia, they took photos of us with our bikes as we were entering transition to drop them off...

That cause things get stolen here all of the time

But seriously at every local tri I have done (no matter what the size) I have been checked and not just that my body marking matched my bike number but that I also had the corresponding race bib too. sometimes it can take you 15 minutes to get out of transition because they stop and check everyone. It is also hard to get into transition if you aren't visibly a racer. The only exception is that in the children are allowed 1 parent into their transition area to help them set up and pack up but once transition closes, no race bib, body marking or timing chip then no entry to transition.
2013-09-04 8:15 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Exton, PA
I still don't see the 10K bike? Looks like about 5000 to 6000 maybe; what does he have a roll of 100 dollar bills stuffed in the frame somewhere!
2013-09-04 8:24 AM
in reply to: mike761

Pro

Originally posted by mike761 I still don't see the 10K bike? Looks like about 5000 to 6000 maybe; what does he have a roll of 100 dollar bills stuffed in the frame somewhere!

Insurance fraud.

2013-09-04 9:28 AM
in reply to: rpistor

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by rpistor
Originally posted by bcagle25 But this got me back to thinking about bike out. Say you are in a race going into T1 and spot a awesome bike you want, why not just grab it and ride it away like you are racing and never come back.
Why wouldn't there be volunteers / security at T1 checking that the bike label number and the helmet/painted number agree with each other? Seems easy enough at a minimum ... ??

During a race? Let's think through that a bit...

2013-09-04 9:34 AM

Expert

Originally posted by bcagle25 But this got me back to thinking about bike out. Say you are in a race going into T1 and spot a awesome bike you want, why not just grab it and ride it away like you are racing and never come back.

At my 70.3 last spring the race director himself stood at transition for hours and checked everyone going in and out. I think volunteers were a bit scarce that day, it was a smaller event, but I appreciate his commitment to the security of everyone's  equipment. 

2013-09-04 9:48 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Originally posted by KateTri1

At my 70.3 last spring the race director himself stood at transition for hours and checked everyone going in and out. I think volunteers were a bit scarce that day, it was a smaller event, but I appreciate his commitment to the security of everyone's  equipment. 

I was impressed at how many checks were made at Wildflower.  Checks were made when:

* Leaving transition area (not during race, although they could have been)

* Getting in line for the shuttle (bike then loaded on truck)

* Getting off the shuttle (bike unloaded from truck)

Granted, Wildflower has a small army of student volunteers from the nearby college.  In stark contrast a small sprint tri, with only about 200 racers, had very few volunteers and pretty much nobody watching the transition area.

All this talk is making me think about getting a retractable lock/cable like the ones used for snowboards.  An extra 10 seconds in both T1/T2 may be worth protecting a bike worth thousands.

2013-09-04 10:14 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mike761 I still don't see the 10K bike? Looks like about 5000 to 6000 maybe; what does he have a roll of 100 dollar bills stuffed in the frame somewhere!

Insurance fraud.

theres insurance for stolen bikes??? where? who??
2013-09-04 11:37 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by KateTri1

Oh ya I'm used to being checked before and after the race, but I was reading the suggestion that checks would be done during T1 in the middle of the race... maybe I read it wrong.

2013-09-04 3:01 PM

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
The race rules always say only the competitor will be allowed to remove their own bike from transition, but I have never been checked in 25+ races. When dealing with volunteers, what can you really do. You can't expect them to challenge a criminal too forcefully. The tri community has been very lucky so far. After races there are a lot of bikes unsecured. I suppose the deterrent is that no one knows if the owner is one of the athletes near by.

Don't forget to keep track of your serial numbers. Having been broken into twice, they are really helpful in catching the bad guys. They may only get convicted of receiving stolen property, not the theft itself, but it's something.

2013-09-04 4:39 PM
in reply to: DMarkSwan

Originally posted by DMarkSwan

The race rules always say only the competitor will be allowed to remove their own bike from transition, but I have never been checked in 25+ races.

Really? I've only done three triathlons, and I've always had to show my race bib and the number on my bike that matches it. This is standard rules for triathlons that are sanctioned by Triathlon BC, and OAT (Ontario Association of Triathlons) is similar.

The race in question was in Ontario and is NOT sanctioned by OAT. That means that they can set their own rules, but they also don't get the same kind of insurance coverage (which would cover theft of this sort).

When the race director said "Ultimately the athlete is responsible... " she means legally. But who knows if that will hold in court.

Remind me to always check for sanctioning and insurance before I sign up for a triathlon.
2013-09-04 4:51 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by DMarkSwan The race rules always say only the competitor will be allowed to remove their own bike from transition, but I have never been checked in 25+ races.
Really? I've only done three triathlons, and I've always had to show my race bib and the number on my bike that matches it. This is standard rules for triathlons that are sanctioned by Triathlon BC, and OAT (Ontario Association of Triathlons) is similar. The race in question was in Ontario and is NOT sanctioned by OAT. That means that they can set their own rules, but they also don't get the same kind of insurance coverage (which would cover theft of this sort). When the race director said "Ultimately the athlete is responsible... " she means legally. But who knows if that will hold in court. Remind me to always check for sanctioning and insurance before I sign up for a triathlon.

Yeah I can't remember many races where I HAVEN'T been checked Surprised

At Austin 70.3 at the beginning of the bike leg I ripped my bike sticker off because it was flapping in the wind and rubbing my leg - starting to chafe (I actually stuffed it in my jersey pocket but it fell out at some point). It was kind of a pain to get my bike out of transition after the race with no sticker- I think I had to produce my athlete bib, wrist band with athlete number and helmet with sticker - which they matched up to my body marking number. 

2013-09-04 11:02 PM

Master
, California

All this talk is making me think about getting a retractable lock/cable like the ones used for snowboards.  An extra 10 seconds in both T1/T2 may be worth protecting a bike worth thousands.

Don't most people buy the expensive bike to save an extra few seconds? Tongue out

Maybe a better plan would be to save a little money and get the most common bike you see in transition to blend in.  If you're that worried.

2013-09-05 9:52 AM
in reply to: spudone

Originally posted by spudone

Don't most people buy the expensive bike to save an extra few seconds? Tongue out

Maybe a better plan would be to save a little money and get the most common bike you see in transition to blend in.  If you're that worried.

Or races could REQUIRE a bike lock, which would prevent theft while leveling the playing field.
Then you'd see people spending about $4K for locks that unfasten three seconds faster.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » $10K bike stolen during race, organizers say they are not responsible Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Stopped at the Golden Arches during a 10k race today

Started by Hartamophone
Views: 1861 Posts: 20

2011-05-10 9:53 AM mchubri

Body says "Run faster" Brain says "Whoa - not now" - confusion reigns

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1347 Posts: 11

2011-01-04 9:29 PM 08M3Sedanski

Severe stomach pain (near hip lines) during 10K race

Started by iOrlando
Views: 799 Posts: 1

2010-11-22 10:41 AM iOrlando

FIRST 10K RACE DURING MARATHON TRAINING

Started by bshehan
Views: 1243 Posts: 9

2006-09-04 9:15 PM bshehan

Not racing during a race

Started by mnewton
Views: 999 Posts: 10

2006-02-01 10:24 AM Nakima
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.