General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Chattanooga - sign-up today! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-09-04 1:44 PM
in reply to: 7ofClubs

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: IM Chattanooga - sign-up today!

Originally posted by 7ofClubs
Originally posted by Leegoocrap Considering IMLOU's slow sell out this is kind of surprising. Congrats to all of you guys that got in. It's close to home, I might volunteer.
Not really, If you move Louisville to End of Sept or beginning of October you would have the same results.

I asked the question in the original IMCHOO thread about what made Chattanooga so much better than Louisville - seems weather is it since so many other things are fairly equal.

Average highs in September are 83, average highs in October are 73. Weather almanac shows race weekend highs for the past few years ranging from mid-70s to mid-80s.

On my maybe list for 2015 for sure.

2013-09-04 1:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Considering IMLOU's slow sell out this is kind of surprising. Congrats to all of you guys that got in. It's close to home, I might volunteer.

Not really, If you move Louisville to End of Sept or beginning of October you would have the same results.

ahh yes, nobody wants to do a hard Ironman...

*Man, unintentional innuendos... my favorite.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-09-04 1:48 PM
2013-09-04 1:48 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by austhokie I got in - whee!! i have the bestest buddy in the world...like predicted my meeting ran long...but came back to a confirmation email

Awesome... you owe your buddy big time... lotsa folks had maaaaaajor issues.  I'm in as well, I'll see you there!!

i'm figuring a nice bottle of something...(when my bank account recovers slightly)...thank goodness for payday on Friday

she is racing it as well - will be her 3rd
2013-09-04 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Considering IMLOU's slow sell out this is kind of surprising. Congrats to all of you guys that got in. It's close to home, I might volunteer.

I never really got this about IMKY. Yes, it can be hot but so what! It is hot for everyone. Kona is hot too. Each race has it's own challanges. For me, an ocean swim would be a big challange becuase I get motion sickness swimming in the ocean. For those of us who live in the deep south and train during the summer, we get aclimated to the heat. But you may be right, moving it to the end of Sept might help.

Anyway, if memory servers, IMKY sold out the first day in 2007, it's inagural day. 2008 it took a couple of week and then a couple of months. I dunno if Choo will follow this pattern.
2013-09-04 1:58 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Indiana
I was fortunate and got in. This will be my first full IM.
2013-09-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: bet

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I think I am in, I never got an online confirmation as it just spun the wheel waiting I think I hit submit just ahead of the crash.  But I did get the e-mail confirmation and a notice from my CC company that my card was charged. 

2013-09-04 2:21 PM
in reply to: bet

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I got in. Just did IMLou a couple weeks ago, and even though I finished, it definitely wasn't the race I wanted! So, IMChoo is going to be my chance to work out nutrition and try to have the race I think I'm capable of. I still can't believe it sold out so fast! I do think there are a few reasons for this.
1) The more I hear about Chattanooga, the cooler it sounds.
2) It's in the Southeast. Since you can basically rule out IMFL unless you have it on a two-year plan after volunteering, that doesn't leave many races within a reasonable distance.
3) It's a good time of year in the SE. I did IMLou, and it was hot. I was ready for it, but I can see how it would be hard to train for that kind of heat if you didn't live in it.
4) It's an inaugural event. I did Raleigh 70.3 last year, and I like the idea that I was on the course in its first year.
5) People get excited over downstream swims, especially people who are nervous about time cutoffs, etc.
Just my two cents...
2013-09-04 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4846252

User image

Expert
I'm in. We had 10 people that wanted to race. Four of us made it first pass. Three ended up going the foundation way and the rest didn't make it.
2013-09-04 6:29 PM
in reply to: Duanerice

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I'm in. My first full!
2013-09-04 7:07 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

Veteran
Got in with a charity slot, so much for taking a year off from IM. Is anyone familiar with hotels in the downtown area near the run course, can it support this many people or will you have to stay outside of town?
2013-09-04 7:41 PM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Owensboro, KY
I'm In...... My First Full

2013-09-04 8:18 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by Leegoocrap Considering IMLOU's slow sell out this is kind of surprising. Congrats to all of you guys that got in. It's close to home, I might volunteer.
I never really got this about IMKY. Yes, it can be hot but so what! It is hot for everyone. Kona is hot too. Each race has it's own challanges. For me, an ocean swim would be a big challange becuase I get motion sickness swimming in the ocean. For those of us who live in the deep south and train during the summer, we get aclimated to the heat. But you may be right, moving it to the end of Sept might help. Anyway, if memory servers, IMKY sold out the first day in 2007, it's inagural day. 2008 it took a couple of week and then a couple of months. I dunno if Choo will follow this pattern.

Actually Louisville has never sold out right away. I think it was January/Feb 2007 when it finally did sell out. If memory serves me, registration opened in October 2006. But I agree with you. If it is hot for me it is hot for everyone. It is still my favorite race.

2013-09-04 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
I'm in. Started clicking and refreshing at 11:56am and finally got in. So pumped to be racing on home turf. Stinks that the registration process was so screwed up. Had several friends that couldn't get in. One that got in the "early" way with tri club in Birmingham. This will be number 4 for me, will love that it will be family spectator friendly.
As far as hotels are concerned the Marriott convention center, Sheraton Reed House and Chattanoogan are about a mile from the waterfront, but there is a free electric shuttle that runs from Marriott right downtown. Chattanoogan is nice, but beds are small. Pool there is indoors and 4ft deep, food is good. Any of the hotels near the aquarium will be convenient, but crowded Im sure. There are several hotels near interstate 24 that are cheap, but a short drive, then there are a bunch at Lookout mtn exit that will be a longer drive. Hamilton place and Hixson would be too far for me.

Edited by hornjs 2013-09-04 8:37 PM
2013-09-05 5:58 AM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Master
Andrew Messick, the CEO of IM/WTC posted this on Slowtwitch:

"If you were logged into the active system before 12:03 and were spit out -- and active has told us that they have a record of everyone in this category -- we are going to be offering general entry into IMCH. We need the scrubbed list from active, which should arrive post haste, and we will start dialing."
2013-09-05 6:51 AM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Dunno if anyone can confirm this or not but...Yesterday on Facebook IMCHOO posted about the issues during the afternoon. I saw in the comments a guy saying that it was 80% sold out before it was open to the public. How could that even be possible? Was he just trying to stir the pot or has anyone else heard that as well? I feel bad for the people who didn't get in because I would have never thought it would sell out that fast. Maybe the first day but not like 20 minutes..
2013-09-05 7:03 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

I guess local triathlon clubs were offered a pre-registration - but I don't know how many took advantage of that - I know one of my friends did it - there were like 80 from her club (out of the 800 in the club)

I don't know if that is a new thing or something that they did for the inaug

2013-09-05 7:58 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by Bevie

Dunno if anyone can confirm this or not but...Yesterday on Facebook IMCHOO posted about the issues during the afternoon. I saw in the comments a guy saying that it was 80% sold out before it was open to the public. How could that even be possible? Was he just trying to stir the pot or has anyone else heard that as well? I feel bad for the people who didn't get in because I would have never thought it would sell out that fast. Maybe the first day but not like 20 minutes..

They pre registered 1000 spots via their new club program.
2013-09-05 8:31 AM
in reply to: qrkid

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-05 8:35 AM
in reply to: qrkid

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-05 8:40 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by qrkid
Originally posted by BevieDunno if anyone can confirm this or not but...Yesterday on Facebook IMCHOO posted about the issues during the afternoon. I saw in the comments a guy saying that it was 80% sold out before it was open to the public. How could that even be possible? Was he just trying to stir the pot or has anyone else heard that as well? I feel bad for the people who didn't get in because I would have never thought it would sell out that fast. Maybe the first day but not like 20 minutes..
. Did they officially acknowledge this yet?

yes, CEOIronman did in this post at ST http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=4745463#4745463

2013-09-05 8:45 AM

Regular

Originally posted by qrkid
Originally posted by BevieDunno if anyone can confirm this or not but...Yesterday on Facebook IMCHOO posted about the issues during the afternoon. I saw in the comments a guy saying that it was 80% sold out before it was open to the public. How could that even be possible? Was he just trying to stir the pot or has anyone else heard that as well? I feel bad for the people who didn't get in because I would have never thought it would sell out that fast. Maybe the first day but not like 20 minutes..
. Did they officially acknowledge this yet?

Yes. The CEO did on ST.

2013-09-05 8:51 AM

Champion
Alabama

Downstream swim, wetsuit legal and not as blistering hot as Louisville and flatter bike will all make this race much more popular. I would bet this race sells out instantaneously every year, but that's just a guess. Comparatively, Arizona and Florida have flat courses and generally mild weather and they sell out quickly.... Add in a current assist swim and this race will have massive demand. Funny thing is none of these races interest me in the slightest (no nt because they are too 'easy') but because they are doing the school year and would be too much disruption for my family. Ymmv.

I question the "wetsuit legal". Hard to predict the temp of the TN river but usually my swimming pool mirrors the river temp....and right now the temps are hoving around 82. Air temps this week in 89 +/- 2. Hard to imagine the river temp dropping to the mid to low 70s in the next 3 weeks. Anyway, when the water temp is in the 'borderline legal' range, I'm not gonna risk overheating wearing a wetsuit.

2013-09-05 9:17 AM

might get me skewered, but I don't mind the club pre-reg...i'm not affiliated with a club in any way...but I see the benefit that they give to the programs they offer, getting new ppl involved, ones who come to races and help out/offer services (even if not IM's) - it seems like something small they could do...and there were quite a few clubs involved/offered slots
2013-09-05 9:44 AM

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by austhokie

might get me skewered, but I don't mind the club pre-reg...i'm not affiliated with a club in any way...but I see the benefit that they give to the programs they offer, getting new ppl involved, ones who come to races and help out/offer services (even if not IM's) - it seems like something small they could do...and there were quite a few clubs involved/offered slots

For a GDI like me, I think the pre-sales are unfair. Nothing wrong with clubs they should stand in line just like everyone else.

ETA. Maybe if we formed a "BT Tri Club" all the BTers could go to the front of the line for race sign-ups!

Edited by Rogillio 2013-09-05 9:45 AM
2013-09-05 9:48 AM

Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by austhokie

For a GDI like me, I think the pre-sales are unfair. Nothing wrong with clubs they should stand in line just like everyone else.

ETA. Maybe if we formed a "BT Tri Club" all the BTers could go to the front of the line for race sign-ups!

why? I don't train with a club, but I have no issues with them being given pre-reg...I know the USAT offers pre-reg to certain races (like the nations tri) - do ppl complain about those? (those races seem to sell out quickly)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Chattanooga - sign-up today! Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Pardon me boys.....Chattanooga Choo-Choo IM? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 5007 Posts: 41

2013-08-30 2:24 PM blueyedbikergirl

Tahoe v. Chattanooga IM

Started by Six13
Views: 1542 Posts: 10

2013-08-22 3:37 PM Left Brain

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1851 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

Look what UPS brought me today!

Started by DRM
Views: 2206 Posts: 19

2006-01-11 9:07 PM vortmax

Timberman and Mooseman Signup Today! Pages: 1 2

Started by Adam_NH
Views: 2105 Posts: 32

2004-11-19 7:33 AM tri_again
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.