Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Jillian Michaels takes on triathlon... and gets schooled Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-09-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Jillian Michaels takes on triathlon... and gets schooled
Originally posted by Pector55

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Jtiger I think she's more of a "body pump" training class type of athlete rather than a real athlete
This has potential.
Yeah... as opposed to us "real athletes."

If a triathlete entered a powerlifting competition, I'm sure a few of the other lifters would say the exact same thing.  People are funny.

I think that's the first time anyone has ever acknowledged that I was funny.
Mark it down. 9/12/13

2013-09-12 2:28 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by Pector55

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Jtiger I think she's more of a "body pump" training class type of athlete rather than a real athlete
This has potential.
Yeah... as opposed to us "real athletes."

If a triathlete entered a powerlifting competition, I'm sure a few of the other lifters would say the exact same thing.  People are funny.

I think that's the first time anyone has ever acknowledged that I was funny. Mark it down. 9/12/13

I did think you were joking around since you put real athletes in quotes.  I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head about specificity training.  It's not like you can throw a triathlete on a soccer field, football field, etc.  We all know those folks are also real athletes.

2013-09-12 3:39 PM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Veteran
For a beginner triathlon site you guys sure are being hard on a first time triathlete. Is it because of who she is? For reference, my first triathlon speeds:
Swim: 2:42/100 (587 yard swim)
Bike: 15.5mph (16.5 mile bike)
Run: 11:17/mile (3.1 mile run)

Go ahead, bash me cause I was super slow, wore my wakeboarding wetsuit, rode a borrowed bike and didn't even own a pair of tri shorts or jersey. We all start somewhere.
2013-09-12 3:44 PM
in reply to: Tiffanator

User image

NC
Originally posted by Tiffanator

For a beginner triathlon site you guys sure are being hard on a first time triathlete.

We're not even getting warmed up.

2013-09-12 3:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by Left Brain Ok.....what is TMZ?  I'm trying to keep up, but apparently I'm missing basic knowledge of life here?  Is this all TV show stuff?

Let me help.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=TMZ

Gee....thanks.... I'm pretty sure I would have never googled something that dumb on my own. Laughing  I'm just never going to understand "celebrity gossip"......  now get off my lawn.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-09-12 3:46 PM
2013-09-12 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
PA

Originally posted by Tiffanator For a beginner triathlon site you guys sure are being hard on a first time triathlete. Is it because of who she is? For reference, my first triathlon speeds: Swim: 2:42/100 (587 yard swim) Bike: 15.5mph (16.5 mile bike) Run: 11:17/mile (3.1 mile run) Go ahead, bash me cause I was super slow, wore my wakeboarding wetsuit, rode a borrowed bike and didn't even own a pair of tri shorts or jersey. We all start somewhere.

This is VBT.. Most of them are veteran beginner triathletes.  There is a huge difference.  Cool

2013-09-12 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

For a beginner triathlon site you guys sure are being hard on a first time triathlete. Is it because of who she is? For reference, my first triathlon speeds:

Go ahead, bash me cause I was super slow, wore my wakeboarding wetsuit, rode a borrowed bike and didn't even own a pair of tri shorts or jersey. We all start somewhere.

I've come to discover that there's no mercy in triathlons...apparently it spills over here.

2013-09-12 4:48 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by joestop74

I've come to discover that there's no mercy in triathlons...apparently it spills over here.

Hi Man!!

Just an observation I think the OP's subject was bashed because she is a self proclaimed fitness guru and she just turned out to be just a starter in tri ( me included).

there are Celeb athletes in the link: below who were not bashed:
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/triathlon/celebrity-triathletes

reference celebs Triathlon splits:
http://www.nauticamalibutri.com/results/2009/Classic%20Distance%20R...
https://www.nauticamalibutri.com/results/2008/Classic%20Celebrity%20...

Edited by strykergt 2013-09-12 4:51 PM
2013-09-12 4:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by Tiffanator For a beginner triathlon site you guys sure are being hard on a first time triathlete. Is it because of who she is? For reference, my first triathlon speeds: Swim: 2:42/100 (587 yard swim) Bike: 15.5mph (16.5 mile bike) Run: 11:17/mile (3.1 mile run) Go ahead, bash me cause I was super slow, wore my wakeboarding wetsuit, rode a borrowed bike and didn't even own a pair of tri shorts or jersey. We all start somewhere.

To qualify for bashing, you need to

A.  Be a "coach" on a TV show about losing weight that's obnoxiously littered with product placement ads and unrealistic achievements.

B.  Make a best-sellers list several times with regurgitated diet information published in a shiny covered hard back book with a picture of you in a tight sports bra showing off your abs.

C.  Over-market yourself through fitness apparatuses, diet food products, etc., all with pictures of your aforementioned abs.

D.  Take the contestants on the show you're on and make them run a marathon with no advance warning or race specific training.

2013-09-12 7:03 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Originally posted by strykergt

Originally posted by joestop74

Hi Man!!

Just an observation I think the OP's subject was bashed because she is a self proclaimed fitness guru and she just turned out to be just a starter in tri ( me included).

there are Celeb athletes in the link: below who were not bashed:
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/triathlon/celebrity-triathletes

reference celebs Triathlon splits:
http://www.nauticamalibutri.com/results/2009/Classic%20Distance%20R...
https://www.nauticamalibutri.com/results/2008/Classic%20Celebrity%20...

Oh I wasn't trying to be overly serious! I think she kinda 'deserves' it. LOL.

2013-09-12 9:09 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by RussTKD

To qualify for bashing, you need to

A.  Be a "coach" on a TV show about losing weight that's obnoxiously littered with product placement ads and unrealistic achievements.

B.  Make a best-sellers list several times with regurgitated diet information published in a shiny covered hard back book with a picture of you in a tight sports bra showing off your abs.

C.  Over-market yourself through fitness apparatuses, diet food products, etc., all with pictures of your aforementioned abs.

D.  Take the contestants on the show you're on and make them run a marathon with no advance warning or race specific training.

Yes, this is a lot of it. Also, I was sincerely making the point about specificity. A lot of people work out in the gym, and think they're able to take on any physical challenge. They can't. Training tends to produce very specific results. Anyone who has switched from a hypertrophy focused strength training program (medium resistance, medium reps, & medium rest periods) to a strength focused (high resistance, low reps, & long rest) or anaerobic endurance focused (light weight, high reps, & short rest) and gotten really sore initially has experienced just how specific fitness adaptations are.

2013-09-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest Yes, this is a lot of it. Also, I was sincerely making the point about specificity. A lot of people work out in the gym, and think they're able to take on any physical challenge. They can't. Training tends to produce very specific results. Anyone who has switched from a hypertrophy focused strength training program (medium resistance, medium reps, & medium rest periods) to a strength focused (high resistance, low reps, & long rest) or anaerobic endurance focused (light weight, high reps, & short rest) and gotten really sore initially has experienced just how specific fitness adaptations are.

This too.  I abused a lot of gym rats in jiu-jitsu simply because I was in fight shape and they were in gym shape.  It was fun watching them be absolutely gassed 90 seconds into a round and then being able to do anything I wanted.

2013-09-13 11:47 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

You did see where many of us said that there is no doubt she is fit?  And that given just a short amount of time doing sport specific training (s/b/r) that she would likely be quite good if not competitive?  And that would any of us try to do what she did we would likely have just as hard of a problem doing her fitness regime as we have at ours, right?

And I think much of the perceived bashing was a trend, not too long ago, where cross fit individuals inferred that they would easily be able to do a tri and possibly be competitive.  Not that she was saying it, but there is a bit of self satisfaction when someone like this attemps a tri without, apparently, much sport specific training and has such a hard time at it.

Edited by crowny2 2013-09-13 11:49 AM
2013-09-13 1:09 PM

Her paces per the website.

Swim - 2:23/100 (750m swim)

Bike - 16.4 mph (18mile bike)

Run - 11:47/mile (4 mile run)

Total time was 2:21:29. 

It owned her. Completely.

For comparisons, other notable celebrities in the same finishing time frames:

Dushku, Eliza 02:22:31.2

Lopez, Jennifer  02:23:38.8

Hatcher, Teri 2:06:50

Lopez, Mario 2:03:17.4

She's still BOP in the Celebrity Group.

Somewhat surprised big muscley A.C Slater has a 2hr plus time. He almost got chicked by a Desparate Housewife :p

Andy Baldwin has a 1:30 time.   

Edited by Major Ho 2013-09-13 1:10 PM
2013-09-17 11:02 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I think what makes it humorous is what has already been called out here. The fact that people look at tris & say "I can swin in my backyard pool, I have a beach cruiser bike, and I have a pair of tennis shoes. How hard can it be to do a sprint in like, an hour?!" For me, the best part was her trying to eat the GU in transition & it being completely foreign to her. I'm surprised she didn't crap herself halfway through.

The story also reminds me of a story I have been reading with my 6 year old. There is a field day at school with one class vs another one. The captain of the first class is all cocky. She dismisses the one weak kid in her own class who tells her he's not good at throwing softballs, running races, or tug of war. She talks smack to the other class. They proceed to get their handed to them in every event. The last event is pull ups & they are just hoping to get one event win. The best score is 7 pull ups. Then the weak kid comes up & rips out 15 pull ups & wins the event. Everyone is stunned. They ask him how he, the weakest kid in the class, could do that. His reply "I practice every night doing pull ups. I can't run & I can't throw, but I can do pull ups."

If you train hard for one thing, you will be good at one thing. You may be ok at other things, but you will rarely match those who train hard at those other things.
2013-09-17 11:07 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Meathead I think what makes it humorous is what has already been called out here. The fact that people look at tris & say "I can swin in my backyard pool, I have a beach cruiser bike, and I have a pair of tennis shoes. How hard can it be to do a sprint in like, an hour?!"

It might be "humorous" to you but that's how a lot of us, myself included, started. "haha".

2013-09-17 11:08 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'll use my failure yesterday to reiterate the sport specificity issue.  I could probably go out RIGHT NOW, after a year off of training and beat her times.  I still do enough S/B/R to keep up.

BUT, I did a gym type crossfit/body pump/insanity type thing at home and I was seriously hurting after 10 minutes.  I don't have the upper body strength with my tri training.

2013-09-17 12:40 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I looked at my best time pace for a triathlon and she would barely beat me on the s/b/r. I was .02 per min / mile but my transition time for that race kicked hers. . Also it was an oly so I am sure if I did her distances I would been a little faster than her.

She did the relay last year (did the bike) so I can not see how she would be that unprepared after having some exposure at least. If you known for being the bad fitness expert you think you would train some to have a good showing.
2013-09-17 1:23 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Meathead I think what makes it humorous is what has already been called out here. The fact that people look at tris & say "I can swin in my backyard pool, I have a beach cruiser bike, and I have a pair of tennis shoes. How hard can it be to do a sprint in like, an hour?!"

It might be "humorous" to you but that's how a lot of us, myself included, started. "haha".

I think you are missing the point that I am not dogging you or anyone else here. I am taking a completely biased, unfair, & uneducated swipe at a celebrity who is supposed to be known for being in better shape than 99% of the population.

Of course everyone starts somewhere, but I hardly think that Jillian Michaels is going to come out of this with a great epiphany & become the next Biggest Triathlete.

Edited by Meathead 2013-09-17 1:25 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Jillian Michaels takes on triathlon... and gets schooled Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

High school science project locks down school.

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 1262 Posts: 2

2013-05-21 11:28 AM SevenZulu

Is Bret Michaels no longer a d bag? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChrisM
Views: 3253 Posts: 49

2010-05-27 10:02 PM DerekL

Bret Michaels in critical condition

Started by trinnas
Views: 1503 Posts: 8

2010-04-25 3:46 PM jdwright56

jillian... Pages: 1 2

Started by maxmattmick
Views: 2696 Posts: 33

2008-10-09 7:41 PM Denise2003

Junior Triathlon Events - at school?????

Started by gflack
Views: 520 Posts: 3

2007-03-09 9:20 AM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.
date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”

date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.