2013-09-12 4:18 PM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Miss Kansas
Originally posted by Pector55
Originally posted by switch

I like that this woman goes against the cookie-cutter mold of beauty contestants, even if she does shoot a compound

Even if whaaaa?  Why not shoot a compound?  Ever try to hold a 5 min draw motionless as a buck looks your way, scanning for any movement from the mouse fart that he heard over 120yds away?  I once had one come up on my right and I started to stand and did a full draw so I could swing my body to my right while he was behind two trees.  He stopped and peeked between the trees while I was in a half squat position and the bow drawn.  I had to hold that position for a loooong time.  The bow draw didn't kill me.. my legs were brutal though.  ;-)

This, this and more this.  And I still missed the little jack wagon.  Buck fever got me shaking and shot between his legs.  he just looked and me and laughed as he trotted away.

2013-09-12 5:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
NM.

Edited by powerman 2013-09-12 6:21 PM
2013-09-12 6:34 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by crowny2

I like that this woman goes against the cookie-cutter mold of beauty contestants, even if she does shoot a compound

Even if whaaaa?  Why not shoot a compound?  Ever try to hold a 5 min draw motionless as a buck looks your way, scanning for any movement from the mouse fart that he heard over 120yds away?  I once had one come up on my right and I started to stand and did a full draw so I could swing my body to my right while he was behind two trees.  He stopped and peeked between the trees while I was in a half squat position and the bow drawn.  I had to hold that position for a loooong time.  The bow draw didn't kill me.. my legs were brutal though.  ;-)

This, this and more this.  And I still missed the little jack wagon.  Buck fever got me shaking and shot between his legs.  he just looked and me and laughed as he trotted away.

I was JUST KIDDING! I shot a compound until I met my husband My girls shoot stick bows, but if they want compounds, we'll roll with that. It's cooling off here this weekend, and the bucks are starting to get dumb. Have a great season gentlemen
2013-09-12 8:23 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
I was initially afraid to open this thread after the Miss Alabama deal........ I thought sure it was going to be some gal wrapped in a checkered table cloth wearing a Jayhawk head and 3 toed yellow shoes.
2013-09-13 2:18 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

I was initially afraid to open this thread after the Miss Alabama deal........ I thought sure it was going to be some gal wrapped in a checkered table cloth wearing a Jayhawk head and 3 toed yellow shoes.

Note this is in the political forum and that one was in the CoJ.

I figured this one would be a bit more contentious.
2013-09-13 10:48 AM

User image

Champion

I was JUST KIDDING! I shot a compound until I met my husband My girls shoot stick bows, but if they want compounds, we'll roll with that. It's cooling off here this weekend, and the bucks are starting to get dumb. Have a great season gentlemen

One of these days I'm going to front the ridiculous cash needed for an out of state license in Iowa and hit the Southeast corner for some of the monsters they grow down there.  Until then, WI will be my primary shotgun and IL and IN bow. 

2013-09-13 12:59 PM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by Marvarnett

Am I the only one that saw her in uniform outside and immediately thought: Why don't you have your cover on?

I didn't even see the tattoos in the video.
[/QUOTE

She's Army. They can wear covers indoors.
2013-09-13 3:38 PM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
I was most impressed that she learned to sign opera almost overnight by listening to Pavarotti because they wouldn't let her do archery in the talent competition - then she won the talent competition. 
2013-09-14 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
PA

My son and I went out today and set up our spots.  He is still a jr hunter and we have used 3 trail cams to track the patterns of a spike and a 4pt where we have him set up.  The spike is awesome.  I'll put a pic up but I swear, the first time I saw it on the cam I swore it was an antelope.  These things are well over a foot high.

I'm picking up a small 8pt near the land I'll be hunting most of the time.  He is very sporadic so I'm not sure I'll get a shot at that big guy.

2013-09-14 5:26 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I like that this woman goes against the cookie-cutter mold of beauty contestants, even if she does shoot a compound;)

I was JUST KIDDING! I shot a compound until I met my husband :) My girls shoot stick bows, but if they want compounds, we'll roll with that. It's cooling off here this weekend, and the bucks are starting to get dumb. Have a great season gentlemen:)

My son and I went out today and set up our spots.  He is still a jr hunter and we have used 3 trail cams to track the patterns of a spike and a 4pt where we have him set up.  The spike is awesome.  I'll put a pic up but I swear, the first time I saw it on the cam I swore it was an antelope.  These things are well over a foot high.

I'm picking up a small 8pt near the land I'll be hunting most of the time.  He is very sporadic so I'm not sure I'll get a shot at that big guy.

Awesome! 

Maybe we should start a hunting season thread?

I've never used trail cams, but I bet that's crazy addicting.  What season is your son hunting this year? How old is he?

We are ridiculously spoiled for spots.  We've got two permanent stands up on our land.  Our house is on 80 acres with corn on two sides, savanah on one and a corn field/river bottom on the fourth--it's a freakin deer highway.  My husband is regularly able to shoot a deer off the back deck.  Cup of coffee in hand, looks out the window, "Oh, there's a deer that needs to go in our freezer." Coffee down, gun up, deer down.  The first time he did that he was just in his underwear and he was like, "I don't know if this is awesome or wrong."  I was like, "Dude, we're having tenderloin for breakfast. I vote awesome." :)

2013-09-14 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
College Station, Texas

Leviticus 19:28 reads, "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord."

Someone may want to tell this "God fearing," "contemporary" woman to read her Bible.  Just sayin.

Most people today who claim to be God fearing also refer to themselves as "Christians" so the Levitical Law would not apply,

2013-09-16 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
PA

Awesome! 

I've never used trail cams, but I bet that's crazy addicting.  What season is your son hunting this year? How old is he?

We are ridiculously spoiled for spots.  We've got two permanent stands up on our land.  Our house is on 80 acres with corn on two sides, savanah on one and a corn field/river bottom on the fourth--it's a freakin deer highway.  My husband is regularly able to shoot a deer off the back deck.  Cup of coffee in hand, looks out the window, "Oh, there's a deer that needs to go in our freezer." Coffee down, gun up, deer down.  The first time he did that he was just in his underwear and he was like, "I don't know if this is awesome or wrong."  I was like, "Dude, we're having tenderloin for breakfast. I vote awesome."

My son is 14.  I took him out as a mentored youth and that year I told him the goal was to teach him safety and see if he had the patience for hunting.  He surprised me.  He learned some valuable lessons and did well getting his first squirrels.

The next year I got him a .243 and taught him how to shoot it properly.  He put a good 200 rds through it before he took it into the woods.  Along with more squirrels and his first pheasant, he got his first deer.  He was in a blind about 60yds away from me when he got on the walkie talkie and said that he saw one.  He cleared that the shot was in a safe direction and nailed it at 90yds through the woods.  We got to the woods at 4:30 am and he took his shot at 4:20 pm so I applauded his patience and he learned that it was rewarding.

Last year, we watched a private area and found how the deer were traveling.  We realized that to hunt it we were going to do crossbow from ground blinds.  I scored a crazy atypical 6x2 8pt and he got a button buck just before dark.  Both were on the first day of rifle but we had a plan that we stuck to and it worked.

This year, we have an additional property to hunt.  He and I stalked out spots so he is targeting his buck on opening day of archery but again, it will be a crossbow from a blind.  I will unfortunately do the same because we cannot get into trees at the pinch point in their travels.  We then will hunt muzzle loader at a different area (from tree stands) and rifle from another area (from tree stands).  We stop at 3 deer and limit our take to 1 deer per location (unless we get a buck) to assure there is a good population waiting for next season.

In the last two years, he got to see me take a monster 6pt and a big 8pt.  He really wants a buck.

2013-09-16 11:58 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Just an update to the Miss Kansas part of this thread:

Vail won a nationwide "America's Choice" vote to advance as a semi-finalist, but failed to make it into the final 5.

2013-09-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by lisac957

Vail won a nationwide "America's Choice" vote to advance as a semi-finalist, but failed to make it into the final 5.

Yeah but does she like older guys?  ;-)

2013-09-16 2:47 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Originally posted by lisac957

And the vitriol that is being spewed towards the winner who is the first Indian-American to win is sickening.

2013-09-16 3:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by DanielG

Originally posted by DanielG Perhaps. But then again, I know some people who quoted Leviticus to a Rabbi while eating a pulled pork sandwich. That was amusing too.

LOL, I can quote it all day long as I'm no God fearing woman

I just figure you do it your way, I'll do it my way and if we cannot communicate civilly, we'll agree to avoid the topic. I just think those who believe Miss Whatever are vapid, Barbie dolls would have exploding heads over one who hunts speaks Mandarin and is a reservist. Amusing, to say the least.

She does seem to have a very unique set of characteristics for a contestant, though many of those women have interesting and somewhat eclectic skill sets.

Presenting herself as both a "God fearing" woman and a contemporary one with tattoos to be displayed suggests that she either doesn't know her Bible or she doesn't believe that part of Leviticus applies to her. She's gone out of her way to try to make a cogent argument for why she will be displaying her tattoos, yet her argument seems to have a fatal flaw--and that flaw is the "word of the Lord."

EDIT - Never mind. I guess it helps to read the whole thread before replying to an early page 1 post...

Edited by mrbbrad 2013-09-16 3:06 PM

2013-09-16 3:32 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by mrbbrad
Originally posted by DanielG

Originally posted by DanielG Perhaps. But then again, I know some people who quoted Leviticus to a Rabbi while eating a pulled pork sandwich. That was amusing too.

LOL, I can quote it all day long as I'm no God fearing woman :)

I just figure you do it your way, I'll do it my way and if we cannot communicate civilly, we'll agree to avoid the topic. I just think those who believe Miss Whatever are vapid, Barbie dolls would have exploding heads over one who hunts speaks Mandarin and is a reservist. Amusing, to say the least.

She does seem to have a very unique set of characteristics for a contestant, though many of those women have interesting and somewhat eclectic skill sets.

Presenting herself as both a "God fearing" woman and a contemporary one with tattoos to be displayed suggests that she either doesn't know her Bible or she doesn't believe that part of Leviticus applies to her. She's gone out of her way to try to make a cogent argument for why she will be displaying her tattoos, yet her argument seems to have a fatal flaw--and that flaw is the "word of the Lord."

EDIT - Never mind. I guess it helps to read the whole thread before replying to an early page 1 post...

For what it's worth, I thought about this a bit over the weekend and did some additional reading.  I was just wrong. 

2013-09-16 3:34 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I like that this woman goes against the cookie-cutter mold of beauty contestants, even if she does shoot a compound;)

I was JUST KIDDING! I shot a compound until I met my husband :) My girls shoot stick bows, but if they want compounds, we'll roll with that. It's cooling off here this weekend, and the bucks are starting to get dumb. Have a great season gentlemen:)

Awesome! 

We are ridiculously spoiled for spots.  We've got two permanent stands up on our land.  Our house is on 80 acres with corn on two sides, savanah on one and a corn field/river bottom on the fourth--it's a freakin deer highway.  My husband is regularly able to shoot a deer off the back deck.  Cup of coffee in hand, looks out the window, "Oh, there's a deer that needs to go in our freezer." Coffee down, gun up, deer down.  The first time he did that he was just in his underwear and he was like, "I don't know if this is awesome or wrong."  I was like, "Dude, we're having tenderloin for breakfast. I vote awesome." :)

My son is 14.  I took him out as a mentored youth and that year I told him the goal was to teach him safety and see if he had the patience for hunting.  He surprised me.  He learned some valuable lessons and did well getting his first squirrels.

The next year I got him a .243 and taught him how to shoot it properly.  He put a good 200 rds through it before he took it into the woods.  Along with more squirrels and his first pheasant, he got his first deer.  He was in a blind about 60yds away from me when he got on the walkie talkie and said that he saw one.  He cleared that the shot was in a safe direction and nailed it at 90yds through the woods.  We got to the woods at 4:30 am and he took his shot at 4:20 pm so I applauded his patience and he learned that it was rewarding.

Last year, we watched a private area and found how the deer were traveling.  We realized that to hunt it we were going to do crossbow from ground blinds.  I scored a crazy atypical 6x2 8pt and he got a button buck just before dark.  Both were on the first day of rifle but we had a plan that we stuck to and it worked.

This year, we have an additional property to hunt.  He and I stalked out spots so he is targeting his buck on opening day of archery but again, it will be a crossbow from a blind.  I will unfortunately do the same because we cannot get into trees at the pinch point in their travels.  We then will hunt muzzle loader at a different area (from tree stands) and rifle from another area (from tree stands).  We stop at 3 deer and limit our take to 1 deer per location (unless we get a buck) to assure there is a good population waiting for next season.

In the last two years, he got to see me take a monster 6pt and a big 8pt.  He really wants a buck.

It sounds like your son is getting a great start.  Very cool.  I am very impressed with his patience.  I struggle with that, especially when it's cold. 
2013-09-23 11:10 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I never thought the Miss America pageant was a representation of Christianity actually.
2013-09-23 12:40 PM

User image

She is sweet, strong and sexy.  Perfect woman.  I don't seem much else to discuss.

1++++

But I'm biased I have 24 hours of tattoo work on my back alone. Going in the pool today it was great to see people's faces drop!
Joe
2013-09-28 11:21 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
I'd guess that the upper parts of her body concealed by the red suit also don't pass the Leviticus test. NTTAWWT.

2013-09-29 7:59 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (NIV, Matthew 5:17–18)

It sounds to this lay person that Jesus wanted his followers to keep Mosaic Law.
2013-09-30 9:26 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by pga_mike “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (NIV, Matthew 5:17–18) It sounds to this lay person that Jesus wanted his followers to keep Mosaic Law.

For the full context:

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus was speaking of the ten commandments, and they are absolutely binding to Christians today.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread "the law" doesn't refer to everything in the old testament.

There's very little debate in the Church about how the old testament applies to Christians today, but for some reason atheists and anti-Christians like to throw it around to diminish and tear down believers.

I'll make it easier for you though.  Christians are sinners, we all sin and we all fall short of the glory of God.  There was only one perfect person who ever lived, and that was Jesus.  So, if you want to tear down Christians as Hypocrites for not being perfect like Christ then it will be very easy for you.  You don't even have to go back to the old testament to tear them down.  ;-)

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Miss Kansas Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

'Create education better' to solve income inequality: Miss Utah Pages: 1 2

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 3069 Posts: 27

2013-06-21 2:28 PM switch

Miss Universe Canada Typo Awards Crown To Wrong Contestant

Started by DanielG
Views: 855 Posts: 1

2013-05-31 7:28 AM DanielG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : November 9, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 3
Many times a missed workout leads to undue stress and frustration which can adversely affect athletic performance and day-to-day life. Here are some tips to deal with the inevitable missed workout.