Dover-Sherborn Boosters
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 18s
Overall Rank = 4/291
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/33
Pre-race routine:

This was to be the last race of the season, but the start was in doubt with a tweaked hamstring several weeks prior. I started back running a week prior and had done a 4-miler and felt fine, so I decided to "swim/bike/jog," but didn't stress about prep. So, a normal night prior, up at 5, coffee/dogs walked/bagel-nut butter-honey, load all my cr@p up and head over to the race (a bit over 30' away) in the cold light of pre-dawn.

Amazing how $ucky early Sunday morning radio is for getting pumped up! Broke out the iPhone and rocked along to the bike drop off...

Decided to try to rock the swim and bike and then jog along at whatever steady pace the leg would permit (I just kept repeating to myself: NO SPRINT FINISH ALLOWED!)
Event warmup:

It's a two transition area race, so had to drop the bike, then go set up T2 and leave shoes there, then bus to T1 with another bag, then set up T1. So, no bike or run warmup (I do like a run w/u in a sprint, but whatever). Put on the wetsuit to try and stay warm (about 46 degrees at the start), did 150-200m with accelerations in the pond.

Then it was off in the next to last wave with at least 1/3 of the entire race in it (the organizers realized that "Men 45 and up" is a HUGE FRIKKIN' CATEGORY in the land of the mid-life crisis, but only too late... so it was more akin to a mass start than a wave!).
Swim
  • 04m 51s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Farm pond was beautiful, with the sunrise coming through steam on the water. Awesome...

I got smashed in the face here last year, so I decided to go to the front and boogie - which also worked with the race plan of hammer the swim/bike. Got out in front with 2 others. Stayed on the second guy's hip until just past the second buoy, then passed as we came through the breast-strokers from the previous wave (they set a perfect pick for me!) and finished strong.

I lost my breath mid-course last year and was close this year, as I was trying to really hustle, but focused on form/breathing and stayed comfortably close to puking - but not over the edge. (repeated to self: I can do anything for 6 minutes!).

Previous year was 07:29, so I'm very happy with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I *might* have been able to pass the second guy and hang on the first dude's feet and sprinted at end, but I'm still learning how far I can push on the swim. Very happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Last year this was 03:19, so I'm both happy with the result and definitely feeling more comfortable with getting FREE TIME. The guy ahead of me in the swim was out maybe 2 seconds before me but did a flying mount (impressive to watch - it was uphill!) and was away. While I do put the shoes on the bike with elastic bands, I still favor keeping my colar-bones intact over the two seconds gained... Maybe next year. ;)

Nothing
Bike
  • 40m 14s
  • 14.8 miles
  • 22.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Only made one wrong turn... UGH. First time I've done that in a race. I heard the screams after I was heading uphill instead of down and thought, "What dumb bunny went the wrong way?" Oh, that would be me.

Great bike otherwise. Pushed hard the whole way and held pretty constant power, despite it being a hilly course. Felt good about "racing the plan," although I might have even pushed harder (wasn't sure what I could hold for this distance in hills, but was close to right).

Last year's time was 42:11, so I'm happy with this one, for sure.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Moved through efficiently.

Last year was 54 seconds - FREE TIME!

Nothing.
Run
  • 22m 13s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't sure how this would go, so I set out to run steadily and hoped to be fast enough to stay breathing hard. Turns out that 2-3 weeks off makes staying out of breath without going too fast pretty easy...

This felt good, and I focused on form and high cadence (so as not to stretch the hamstring by striding). Managed NOT to kick at the finish (thank goodness there was no one with me, or I **might** have made a bad decision - better to be lucky than smart, I guess).

Solid run for me, without any heroics. Last year was 24:11, so I picked up 2 minutes just based on the year of training, about which I am very happy.

Not go into marathon training mid-plan 4 days after a HIM and tweak a hamstring? Otherwise, not much - this was what I could do yesterday and am happy about "racing the plan."

I do think that I could have pushed harder - maybe significantly so - but am reeeaaaalllllly glad I didn't! :)
Post race
Warm down:

My favorite part of the race! Saw a bunch of friends and their families. Hung out in the sun. ATE BACON. Cheered at the awards (another one where I was "first" by virtue of the other guy in my AG bagging an overall podium - but I'll take it). :)

The top 6 finishers were in my AG. All 6 of them (two were pro/elites, 4 were AGers). WTF? Some fast, paunchy, balding guys 'round these parts, I guess.

Best. Midlife. Crisis... Ever. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hamstring strain. Not training/peaking/tapering for this, as it was an end of season fun race. Probably didn't matter much, as the base was there from the main season...

Event comments:

I love this race. So scenic. Good cause. Lots of friends. Great breakfast buffet after (did I mention the BACON?). Nice challenge with the hills, but not crushingly so. All in, a great venue/race for a local deal. All that's missing is a beer truck to celebrate the end of the season!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:51 | 440 yards | 01m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/33
Overall: 11/291
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU R:3
Course: 3 legs of a square, left hand turns.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:14 | 14.8 miles | 22.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/33
Overall: 5/291
HR avg 158 (threshold is 156 for me). Avg power: 250W. Weighted avg power (Strava - haven't put in TP yet): 256W, so fairly constant (good for me, considering the course). Cadence: 87
Wind: None
Course: Hilly, point to point course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:13 | 03.4 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/33
Overall: 21/291
Avg HR: 162. Cadence 95.
Course: A bit hilly. Pretty.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-16 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Dover-Sherborn Boosters Triathlon

2013-09-16 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4856521

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Dover-Sherborn Boosters Triathlon

Sweet race, great job, and bacon to finish it all off. What could be better?

Congrats on a great race.

2013-09-16 1:09 PM

User image

Seattle

Fantastic race!!!!!!

How is the hammy post race?

2013-09-16 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Awesome Matt, great race and fantastic improvements over last year!
2013-09-16 6:47 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Payson, AZ
awesome job on the race.  Great improvements
2013-09-16 7:02 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Congrats on a terrific race to end a strong season. You've really done well for yourself this year. Great job! Post race is always my favorite part as well. 

2013-09-17 1:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Fantastic race!!!!!!

How is the hammy post race?

Well, both are tight - which is waaaaay better than having one that is tweaky!  Laughing

Just the normal post-sprint/not in peak form tightness is all.  Going steady and slightly higher cadence (95 vs. 92-93) helped.  Still taking it easy run-wise and can't wait (but will) to push the volume and mileage (OK, and intensity) back up - just trying to by smart about it.  Not my long suit... 

Thanks!

2013-09-17 6:47 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Congratulations on a very, very fine race!
It must feel great when it all comes together. Everything was clicking for you that race.

You had an outstanding swim time, very excellent bike and equally excellent run.
This was only outdone by your transition times and the bonus time you made up. I have just learned the importance of
getting that T time down as much as possible, without risking injury, of course.

Great improvements over the year. What do you attribute it to? Hard work???
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dover-Sherborn Boosters Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dover Sherborn Boosters Triathlon

Started by bn0909
Views: 1065 Posts: 1

2011-09-19 1:54 PM bn0909

Started by bn0909
Views: 1238 Posts: 1

2009-09-21 9:33 AM bn0909

Started by bn0909
Views: 1258 Posts: 1

2008-09-22 9:14 AM bn0909

dover sherborn boosters triathlon

Started by whataboutjohnlee
Views: 1709 Posts: 2

2006-09-20 7:34 PM c2fd

Dover - Sherborn Boosters Club Triathlon

Started by nikki
Views: 1343 Posts: 18

2005-09-21 7:56 AM tri_again
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon