General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking of switching to run/walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-26 6:30 PM

Subject: Thinking of switching to run/walk
I did a mock half ironman last weekend and when I hit 10 miles on the run I could feel it was going to be a miserable 3 more miles. 10 miles is the furthest I had ran in any training session so far. I am a slow jogger. (The 10 mile pace was 12:24 min/miles)

This obviously made it quite apparent how absolutely awful the marathon is going to be for the Ironman (Arizona) for me. I am thinking I should do a run/walk method, but I am apprehensive of switching anything in the way of training. I kind of feel that I should just continue to jog all my training sessions with no walk breaks, and just employ the run/walk program come race day.

For my mock half ironman, there is no way I went too hard on the bike, I really believe this is just a matter of run fitness. I know I will not be able to build to a point where I could run an entire marathon, but I want to make the run as comfortable as feasibly possible.

Should I start employing a run/walk during training now? Keep running the whole time? Maybe just run/walk my long run workouts? I'm just not sure!

2013-09-27 8:43 AM
in reply to: Letmi

Chicago
Subject: RE: Thinking of switching to run/walk
Congrats on your 10 miles at 12:24! Just my two cents: for me, personally, teaching my body to go the distance was much more important than worrying about time at first. I'd just get there how I need to get there. My experience is that I'd rather have a little left at the end to think "that was fun, I'm going to do it again only harder/better next time" than exhausting yourself to the point of misery and swearing off attempting again. lol My advice would be that the back half of the race is always the worst--especially if you go out too hard. One of the things I've really had to work on in running is teaching myself to take it easy at first and not get caught up in the excitement. I'd rather be running the last few miles than walking across the finish line. I'd probably plan to run-walk the first half of the race telling myself that if I still feel good I can always finish strong. But maybe that's just me? 
2013-09-27 2:53 PM
in reply to: NewfangledDad

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
You might be surprised at the benefits of the walk/run method. I did it at my last Half Marthon (pacing with a friend) and finished feeling so good, I actually went to my football game that day and played for 2 hours. If you keep a good pace for your runs and incorportate the walk into it, you might be able to run farther and a little fast. I told my mother in law about the strategy and she used it in her last half marathon and set a PR using it. Nothing wrong with walking and it might help you build your endurance without risking injury.
2013-09-28 2:43 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
I used the run walk during my IM training and race. I ended up finishing each of my three loops with faster split each loop.
2013-09-28 5:29 PM

User image

i've been doing a run-walk for my training leading up to my HIM and it has worked wonders - I did an Oly today (a month out from my HIM) and my run was about 20 minutes faster than the one I struggled with in June.

I've just been using an interval trainer on my Iphone - it lets me set high intensity (running) and low intensity (walk) intervals, how many repeats you want to do etc...I also have a gym boss (I tink its called), that I clipped on my belt today, but I didn't use - I just listened to my body and it did a pretty good job of letting me know when I needed to walk vs. run

good luck in AZ!
2013-09-28 6:08 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by Letmi

I did a mock half ironman last weekend and when I hit 10 miles on the run I could feel it was going to be a miserable 3 more miles. 10 miles is the furthest I had ran in any training session so far. I am a slow jogger. (The 10 mile pace was 12:24 min/miles)

This obviously made it quite apparent how absolutely awful the marathon is going to be for the Ironman (Arizona) for me. I am thinking I should do a run/walk method, but I am apprehensive of switching anything in the way of training. I kind of feel that I should just continue to jog all my training sessions with no walk breaks, and just employ the run/walk program come race day.

For my mock half ironman, there is no way I went too hard on the bike, I really believe this is just a matter of run fitness. I know I will not be able to build to a point where I could run an entire marathon, but I want to make the run as comfortable as feasibly possible.

Should I start employing a run/walk during training now? Keep running the whole time? Maybe just run/walk my long run workouts? I'm just not sure!

I agree with the others. I am also slow and also going to IMAZ - we need to meet up
My plan thus far has been to keep it a run thus far with my long runs at 12-13 but will switch to run/walk for my 3+ hour runs.

2013-09-28 6:30 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Google Bobby McGee and he recommends almost everyone can be faster doing a run/walk even sub 3:30 Marys.

There are some good articles on line to the benefits of run/walk racing and training for IMs.

2013-09-29 2:26 AM
in reply to: #4864847

User image

Veteran
Wollongong
It works for me.

Jeff Galloway is another marathoner who recommends it, even for faster runners.

For me it meant I actually enjoyed the last 5km of my first IM when many people I was passing were 'toasted'

2013-09-30 11:24 AM
in reply to: Gla56

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Another fan of the run/walk here!  I usually train and race with a "walk the aid stations" approach, walking every mile just long enough to take in my water/nutrition in training, and walking the duration of the aid station in the race.  I had to modify for my last race (Vineman this year) as I developed a stress fracture on my femoral neck (hip) 2 months before the race.  I was not able to run at all for those last two months.  The day before the race, I jogged for 10 minutes, just to see what it would feel like. 

For the race coach suggested (and PT approved) a plan to run to the aid stations, then walk 2 minutes.  If I felt OK, I could push towards the end.  I was able to run the entire return leg of the third out-and-back, and made my original goal time for the race. 

2013-09-30 1:45 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by Letmi

If you want to do a walk/run on race day, then you need to do it in training. Walking uses different muscles than running, so it will help if you train for that as well as the run. Also, if you train for the walk, you can train to walk FAST.

One of my clients has an extra bone in her foot and we are using a walk/run strategy with her. She has done it in training and will do it on race day. Right now, up to 15 miles, she can keep a 11:30 mm overall with a 4 min run, 1 min walk. She is being setup for success on race day because she is trained to walk and will be prepared to do so on race day.

Train like you race. Good luck!

2013-09-30 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've been trying it. Not sure I'm going at it the right way. I run 4 minutes hard to make up for the 1 minute walk.

2013-09-30 3:02 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It sounds like you are not going to be in shape to run the entire mary in your IM, so you don't really have a choice about walking part of the IM. That said it makes sense to practice "the shuffle" as well as "speed walking" in addition to your jogging. Also for IM training you don't want to run or run walk more than 3 hours no matter what your combination of run, walk, crawl you put in there. I prefer to run/jog the entire IM mary, but at IMLT I had to resort to run walk during the run due to pulling muscles slighlty in knees and calves during the evil bike hills. It turned out fine, much slower than constant jog, much more disruptive, but got er done, which is what you are looking for. My walk, shuffle, jog, slosh was 5:08:00 ish for the IM mary. So if your swim and bike are reasonable (AZ much friendlier course than IMLT) you should be ok. It is more important to get your run distance/time in rather than to do it fast or even continuous run at this point in time.
2013-09-30 3:25 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

Well, I've been giving it a go for the last two long run sessions. What I've been doing is jogging one mile, then I walk one minute, start jogging until I complete the 2nd mile, then walk for 1 min, rinse, repeat. It's been giving me ~11:30 min/mile

It's quite odd as I seem to have a slightly faster pace throughout the entire session. I don't feel too beat either! I am trying to figure in a different run/walk ratio as I feel I could benefit from perhaps doing a 5/1 ratio, but I also like the idea of having planned walking sessions at each aid station.

I will continue to do the run/walk on my weekend long sessions and my hour:30 sessions.

Thanks for all the advice!
2013-10-01 9:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I use the 4:1 ratio. If I see the last number ending in 4 or 9 I know to walk. When that gets to hard too handle, my 910 should alert me.

Edited by GAUG3 2013-10-01 9:09 AM
2013-10-02 9:01 AM
in reply to: Gla56

User image

Milwaukee
Originally posted by Gla56

It works for me.

Jeff Galloway is another marathoner who recommends it, even for faster runners.

For me it meant I actually enjoyed the last 5km of my first IM when many people I was passing were 'toasted'

Just read this yesterday.

http://jeffgalloway.typepad.com/jeff_galloways_blog/2013/10/38-seco...

Jeff did 38 sec off BQ qualifying time with 30sec Run/ 15sec Walk intervals.

I've done 1/1 and 3/1 intervals with his method. I personally don't like the really short intervals he does.

2013-10-02 9:46 AM

User image

I've started training for a Half Marathon a few weeks ago using the Galloway method. If you use it, I suggest you read the book and understand the pace you should use for your weekly runs including your long runs. There is a science behind it. I've never done the R/W/R method until now, but I have to say that it really makes me feel better than running the entire time. Usually after a long run my ankles are sore for days (I'm 6'2, 205), but with the Galloway method I'm fine to do an easy job the next day. I'm currently using a 5:1 ratio for long runs with only running for 30 mins or less on mid week runs. Good luck!

2013-10-05 1:19 PM

User image

I've had a lot of IT band issues over the yrs and I have switched to the run/ walk as well. I'm doing 4/1. I have been totally amazed how it has helped. My typical longest runs for my IM are 20mi. If I managed everything right on a steady jog it takes right @ 4hrs(12 min pace) with lots of recovery and a good bit of pain. Since if started the run/walk my 20 mi. runs go down in about 3:15-3:20 with less pain and recovery. For every 1minute walk you have during a mile it only adds around :15 to your pace(you need to brisk walk under a 15 min pace) Your HR will drop about 15-20 bpm and your overall avg HR will be lower. So for me this has helped a ton, and when you think about those 20 mi training runs that I ran a solid 4hrs now I'm doing the same distance and actually only running 2:40 and walking :40 and feel way better after. Hope this helps
2013-10-09 3:40 PM
in reply to: swgtri

Originally posted by swgtri

Another fan of the run/walk here!  I usually train and race with a "walk the aid stations" approach, walking every mile just long enough to take in my water/nutrition in training, and walking the duration of the aid station in the race.  I had to modify for my last race (Vineman this year) as I developed a stress fracture on my femoral neck (hip) 2 months before the race.  I was not able to run at all for those last two months.  The day before the race, I jogged for 10 minutes, just to see what it would feel like. 

For the race coach suggested (and PT approved) a plan to run to the aid stations, then walk 2 minutes.  If I felt OK, I could push towards the end.  I was able to run the entire return leg of the third out-and-back, and made my original goal time for the race. 

I've been walking the IM aid stations since my first one, partially because I have to get my breathing slowed to be able to take gels quickly/efficiently, so I might as well take a walk break. I've been able to do 4:00 IM marathons like this. I recommend practicing walking early, often, and quickly so that you can use it as part of your race because you want to, not because you have to. Starting an early walk schedule will help run faster and walk for shorter amounts of time. I was doing what Endurance Nation suggests for race execution without knowing it with good success.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking of switching to run/walk Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Run/walk for a 1/2 IM?

Started by trigal38
Views: 3127 Posts: 16

2011-04-13 7:20 PM eliwashere

Galloway run / walk

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 4297 Posts: 15

2010-08-20 3:38 PM KathyG

Walk/Run Pages: 1 2

Started by JustMike
Views: 4068 Posts: 27

2010-06-20 2:04 PM mrcurtain

Run/walk training?

Started by moose441
Views: 856 Posts: 5

2009-07-16 11:33 PM gymgirlx

Run Walk Strategy

Started by bugs
Views: 2126 Posts: 19

2009-01-21 8:32 AM sunfish
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 11, 2009
author : Total Immersion
comments : 1
In this third part, Terry Laughlin discusses how to achieve an optimal freestyle stroke and what drills go into developing a good stroke.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
My right foot is killing me (flat feet, wearing orthotics). I can no longer run on it and am forced to walk. After walking 10k, my foot felt like it was squeezed really hard.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.