World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 41m 35s
Overall Rank = 124/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/362
Pre-race routine:

B/c this is a peak week, decided to not taper for this race. Went into Augusta with almost 9 hours of training on the week. Decided to take Saturday off only b/c it was a loooong day of athlete briefs, expo, bike drop off, athlete dinner etc.

Went to bed at 9PM to try to get some rest before the big day. The bad thing is that I could not sleep the entire night. I kept looking at the clock every 30 mins. At 4AM, decided to just get up and get ready.

Steve and I got to T1 just before 5:30. It was the perfect time. A little after, everyone started to arrive. We parked as close as you could get without actually driving down the blocked off area to T1.

In transition, set everything up, then walked the mile over to the swim start. I was with Steve, so we hung out for a while, saying hi to ppl we knew. After Steve left to start his race (mine started 45 mins later), I hung out with the Spurs and Warriors until race time.

Event warmup:

No warmup.

Race strategy was to swim and bike hard, then maintain a run effort that was moderate. I was interested to see how I'd feel and this was, in a way, a practice run for B2B.
Swim
  • 26m 27s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Mental lapse #1. As I was waiting for my wave to start, I got lost in the moment. Started to people watch, talk to a few bystanders, and just think about the coming day. I was waiting for my wave, which was at 8:44, when I looked at my watch and it was 8:41. I wasn't ready and my AG was already heading down to the floating dock! I bolted through the crowds and made it to my wave as they were moving out. Whew! That would have sucked!

On the floating dock, loosened up a little, splashed water on my face and down my wetsuit, and waited. Since I was at the back, all the front spots were taken.

When the horn blew, the first wall of AGers jumped in. They caused the floating dock to move and I almost fell down...on the dock. Quickly regained balance, then jumped far out and to the left, then started to swim hard.

Rough first 200m. Received punches to the body and a kick to the face. I thought my lip was split from a particularly hard heel strike to the lower lip area. Shrugged it off and kept swimming.

At one point, early in the swim, I looked down and could see a sand bar. I thought to myself....where there is a sand bar, there is current! The next thing I know, I got swept in a STRONG current that kind of scared me for a moment. Almost like a rapid. No joke. I just swam harder to take advantage of it, then I was out. It was under one of the bridges on the route.

I was pleased that I was able to maintain a strong effort for the duration. I didn't tire, although my left shoulder did start to bother me. I have to attribute that to my wetsuit. I did favor it a bit, but didn't slow down.

Stayed as close to the yellow and orange buoys as I could. The sun was right in my face and the only way I could see the buoys was after I passed them. The sun was blinding, even with tinted goggles. Kept the pace up and saw the red buoy, at the last minute. I cut across hard and bolted out of the water.

I figured I could swim 28:30 with the current, so was very, very happy to exit the water at 26:xx.
What would you do differently?:

Not start at the back of the wave and maybe be a little more aggressive with drafting off other athletes.
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Bolted out of the water and started to sprint. This is one of the things I do every race. You can make up a lot of time and move up in the placings by a fast transition.

Bypassed the wetsuit strippers and just ran to my bike. I can get undressed much faster than they can rip my suit off. The guy next to me in T1, last name Hicks (too), swam a minute and half faster than I did, yet I ran out of transition before he did.

I'll have to wait until the results get posted to Athlinks or something, but it looks like I had one of the fastest T1s.

Transitions count!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 34m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Ran out of T1 and jumped on bike. Pedaled with feet on top of shoes and just pushed it kind of hard for a 200m to get out of the crowds. When i went to put my feet in, I realized shoes were velcroed shut! Damn it! I'm going to label this as Mental Lapse #2. I had to slow way down to unvelcro the shoes. I was very mad at myself here.

Pushed the first 17 miles kind of hard, but the crowds and crowds of ppl just made it hard to do. I tried my hardest not to draft, staying to left (which would technically be blocking) as much as I could. I'd dart in to the right side of the road whenever there was an opening.

The entire course looked looked like a peloton. Not kidding. I even mentioned it to a few different cyclists as I'd pass them. They all agreed. Also, there was a slight headwind, at first, then the wind really picked up later in the ride. i was almost blown off my bike two times, once in a clearing, and once on a bridge.

At mile 28, I started to feel the hard effort. My hamstrings were close to cramping. DAMAGE CONTROL! I started to take extra gels and drink more of my electrolyte fluid. I pushed it just hard enough to where I could control the cramps and not overdo it. it took another 15 miles of constant monitoring before I could push it hard again. This is Mental Lapse #3. I thought I'd be fine on 2 bottles of electrolytes and 550 calories for the 56 mile ride. I ended up grabbing two bottles of Perform (YUCK!). I normally consume 200 calories per hours on the bike and am fine, but that's, I realized, at training pace. At race pace, I'm going to have to up.

Despite the cramping, I could still spin up the hills pretty good. I'd scoot back on my saddle, sit up, and spin up kind of hard. This is where I passed the most ppl. A lot of these cyclists really struggled on the hills. These hills were not as bad as the ones I train on back at home.

In the last 15 miles, I was able to push it hard again. A few guys passed me (passed by a total of 7 cyclists) and I continued to blow by the rest. This is where I felt my fitness really come into play. I wasn't tired or beat up, I wasn't really hurting all that bad, and I was ready to get on the run.

Goal was to go 2:35 or better.

Pay attention to my gear (cycling shoes) and have to rethink nutrition...no way is this going to work at B2B
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

As I approached the dismount line, the guy in front of slammed on the brakes. I was already ready to jump off bike and go, but had to slam on brakes. Rear wheel came off the ground and I almost slammed into the guy that was stopped at the line. I guess this is my fault, since I need to make sure it's safe to do a dismount.

Forgot to hit the lap button on garmin until I was at the rack, so the bike/t2 splits are off by maybe a minute.

Since I'm in Mizunos, have to wear socks with these shoes. I need to find shoes I can go sockless with.
Run
  • 1h 35m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not a fan of this course. The terrain is great, it's just that the loops and loops and loops, passing by the finish so many times is mentally challenging.

Started off really well, but decided to back it off b/c I wasn't planning to run this all out. Ironman has my first split at 5:35min/mi...That's not right, at all. Garmin has me at 6:30. I dropped it down to a 6:50 pace for the next few miles. I felt comfortable at this pace and know I can run it fairly easily.

At mile 6, the lack of nutrition really hit me hard. I was in damage control at this point again. At this point in the race, i had taken maybe 650 calories of nutrition. I started to know up in my back, hamstrings again, and generally not feeling good. To put it plainly, I was miserable.

Started to ingest cokes, water, tried a Perform again (YUCK!), and kept at it. The miles really ticked by slowly.

Finally entered the last mile (what seemed like the longest mile ever), and then went through the chute. A 40-44 AGer started to race me about a tenth of a mile out, but I sped up and he was done.

Crossed the finish and was done!

Goal for the run was a 1:30...nutrition was the cause of my failure here.

HAVE to take more nutrition in on the bike to have a good race.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a massage, then ate. Stretched out and talked to Steve and a few others.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

NUTRITION.

Event comments:

Very well run race. Already have plans to do it again next year.

Last updated: 2013-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:27 | 1931 meters | 01m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 97/362
Overall: 534/
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/383516635
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: 1.2 mile swim down Savannah river. Swim is point to point and current is generally pretty fast.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:34:25 | 56 miles | 21.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 53/362
Overall: 209/
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/383516653
Wind: Headwind
Course: Fast for the first 15-17, then rolling hills from 17.5 to 40, then fast from 40 to the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:35:42 | 13.1 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/362
Overall: 124/
Performance: Bad
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/383516667
Course: Flat course through downtown Augusta.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-30 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2013-09-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4867127

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
I'd say for a half done at the end of a week of IM training, it was a pretty damn great day...Nice going!
2013-10-01 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
very good, very solid day out there especially considering where you are in your B2B training.

You need to get on that nutrition b/c it will be even more important in the longer race. I know Louis told you he uses about 300cal/hr. I shoot for around 265 per hr on the bike. Basically saying I think 200 is really low for a HIM and even more so for a full. Get the nutrition sorted out and B2B course is going to get smacked upside its head.
2013-10-01 8:19 AM

User image

Regular
Nice job
2013-10-03 10:42 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Way to go, Ronnie!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 4152 Posts: 19

2009-10-05 2:23 PM tahrens

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by green_sea_urchin
Views: 3032 Posts: 7

2009-10-02 10:28 PM 3daywknd

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by ironlib
Views: 3426 Posts: 14

2009-10-03 6:47 PM Slave Diver

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by PerpetualEndurance
Views: 2943 Posts: 9

2009-09-28 11:46 AM ironlib

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by FlyingTiger
Views: 2953 Posts: 9

2009-10-07 5:39 PM Swank guy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.