Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2013-10-12 3:56 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge
Originally posted by Asalzwed

You aren't far off!!!!

Actually, we gave them some fish since the little beggars were relentless. Then they puked it up on the floor and I had to clean it up. J and I were negotiating who was going to clean up and debating whether 2 piles of puke counted as one cleanup if it came from the same cat. Ah, livin' the dream!

I spit my coffee out when I saw that.  The picture and the play-by-play.  :-)

2013-10-12 9:01 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Seattle
Mike! Good luck in your 5K. Kill that thing!
2013-10-12 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Awesome day today. 5 hours of volunteering at a local tri, 2 good runs today, Greek Food Festival, and now post run stretches, plank, and crunches. Going back now for some additional stretches to get some of the back kinks out.
2013-10-12 9:50 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

My weakness is slowly getting back to its form.  I ran a 1:32:40 half (posted in JD thread for a little more detail).  Seeing that my plan is working I'm going to keep at it until my full marathon in January!

2013-10-13 9:38 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Pink Socks Awesome day today. 5 hours of volunteering at a local tri, 2 good runs today, Greek Food Festival, and now post run stretches, plank, and crunches. Going back now for some additional stretches to get some of the back kinks out.

Yay Pam!  Welcome

And heck yeah that's an awesome day.  Strong work!

2013-10-13 9:40 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by msteiner

My weakness is slowly getting back to its form.  I ran a 1:32:40 half (posted in JD thread for a little more detail).  Seeing that my plan is working I'm going to keep at it until my full marathon in January!

This is a great time :)  So can you share with this group how you're specifically going to be "working your weakness" Matt?

2013-10-13 9:44 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I did a great job working my weakness yesterday (my inured leg) in that I spent eight hours sitting on my butt watching Kona.  Nice.  I did take some ibuprofen, so there's that;)

Actually, I learned a ton yesterday watching the race, listening to the commentators, following threads and asking questions.  Although I didn't specifically do something for my leg, I really do feel like I learned a lot that can help me race better next season.

I have such a crush on Mirinda Carfrae.  She's lovely in every way.

2013-10-13 10:57 AM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

I did a great job working my weakness yesterday (my inured leg) in that I spent eight hours sitting on my butt watching Kona.  Nice.  I did take some ibuprofen, so there's that

Actually, I learned a ton yesterday watching the race, listening to the commentators, following threads and asking questions.  Although I didn't specifically do something for my leg, I really do feel like I learned a lot that can help me race better next season.

I have such a crush on Mirinda Carfrae.  She's lovely in every way.

Atta girl!!!! Nice work!
2013-10-13 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by msteiner

This is a great time   So can you share with this group how you're specifically going to be "working your weakness" Matt?

For now it's mostly base, base, and more base.  I'm training for a "fast" marathon to get me the volume I need whenever  I get back to focusing on tri season.  I'm slowing back to adding some trainer sessions, so I can get used to the idea of running 30-40 mile weeks while still getting the swim and bike work that I'll need.

Last season the run became more of an afterthought in training, and I can't let that happen again next season.

2013-10-13 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Nice 1/2M race, Matt! Terrific job. Laying down a big base will help in all distances from the mile to the marathon and any tri distance...

I am staying on course, myself, with a planned off day Friday and long brick yesterday (30mile bike in 1:35 then 4 mile run at ~1/2IM pace).
Today did 5 miles easy, keeping the focus on HR at easy pace. Going to play tennis now with my wife then a swim/strength later.

Congrats on your CC PR Adreienne! Hope the race today doesn't beat you up too much.
2013-10-13 7:04 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

I'm in. But have my last race of the season this coming Sat. Took 2nd in my sprint today Clyd division.

Name: Scott

Previous Challenge Experience: 100 Days of Core. still working on it

Weakness: flexibility, bike cadence (want to keep it at 90)

My action plan is to continue to ride 2x week while I focus on running for my first marathon (mostly on trainer.) keeping a gear that I can keep 90 rpm till I can get it up to 1.5 hours at 90. I also plan to stretch 10 min a day 4 days a week.

2013-10-13 8:18 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by MSU_Brad
Originally posted by noelle1230

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

I have been thinking more about this challenge and how it can be most successful.  I would like to encourage everyone to check in with the group each day (if possible), and to tell us what you have done that day to work on your weakness.  Some days it might be reading, some days it might be something physical or actual training, it may even just be spending time thinking about something, but tell us about how you're addressing your weakness each day.

My weakness for the first two week increment is going to be my leg injury.  I am going to be very focused on getting it healthy and, hopefully, easing back into some running. 

Excellent, I love it.  This will encourage us to do be accountable to do SOMETHING daily, even it's just gaining more info on how to improve our designated weakness.

Where's Brad???  That guy is the king of daily check-ins.

I've been contemplating...I am not 100% sure what to do here. I'm *already* focusing on running, since it is by far my biggest weakness in a race. I would like to find a way to concentrate on lessening foot pain, which would also likely help my running. Maybe I'll start Saturday with 10 minutes of dedicated stretching and/or foam rolling every day for the first two weeks.

Brad, just curious: what do you do for your WU for running?  Have you tried doing a light warm-up and foam-rolling BEFORE running?

Honestly, haven't been foam rolling before...I'll have to work that in. It's usually just a light stretch and then off I go.
2013-10-13 8:22 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Did a bunch of foam rolling last night, and just about to sit down to do it again tonight while also wearing my Feetures socks that are supposed to help with plantar fascitis.
2013-10-13 10:10 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by MSU_Brad Did a bunch of foam rolling last night, and just about to sit down to do it again tonight while also wearing my Feetures socks that are supposed to help with plantar fascitis.

I LOVE Feetures socks! So, you're dealing with PF? Been there. FWIW, the one thing that made a big difference for me was wearing the "boot" at night to keep the ankle/foot in a dorsiflexed position. ymmv

Challenge goals: I am finishing up day two of no ice-cream. Meals this weekend were pretty healthy. As for activity...some ST/glute work on Friday and then pilates on Sat. I'm also running...mostly easy and nothing long. Hope everyone had a good weekend. 

2013-10-14 12:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Ok. Hi. I'm in!

Last challenge: Septembers Running Challenge. Eeerrr, which I rarely posted my progress. Don't judge. :D but for the record I *had* been running- just not posting. Half Mary next week.

So Weakness: holy crap. Plenty, but we'll start with core. Always neglect it. And yep, it shows. So I began a class at my local boxing gym (I don't do the boxing)-It's a "core" class. Tons of ab- work & plyo using weighted balls and body weight. Addictive! & So fun. I went 3x last week. OMG. Sore. Wow. Everywhere.

Goal: 5 days of core work. Would love to continue w 3 days doing core class. The other two days Im on my own for dedicated ab -work: crunches, planks, hanging knee-ups, around the world BT video. Say at least 10 min?..That seems like a long time. I'll work up to 10 minutes...!

We good? Am I in? :D

Edited by EV3110 2013-10-14 12:10 AM
2013-10-14 9:36 AM
in reply to: EV3110

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'm working on my weakness today by swimming and letting the legs rest.  Starting to get past soreness, but Mondays are active recovery days for me, so I'm taking it!

2013-10-14 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Welcome to both Scott and Elena!  Nice to have you with us :)

------------

Yesterday I worked my weakness (leg injury) by trying my first run in 6 days.  I took it very easy and kept it short.  I felt zero pain when I started.   I could "feel it" a little during the run and afterward, but it wasn't necessarily pain, just a feeling that it was there. 

Actually,  I'll put this out to the group, this same leg feels like it's on the verge of a charlie horse almost all of the time.  Though I rarely actually get one, I wonder if the guarding I do is exacerbating the injury.  I'm going to try to do some reading about that today, and see what I can find out.  Meanwhile, it's ibuprofen and elevation and a hard swim planned for lunch :)

2013-10-14 12:23 PM

User image

Seattle

Alright, I got my core strength in this morning and will do my abductor stuff tonight.

Over the weekend I couldn't really address the functional strength supplements as I had two races. The first race very much was inline with my strength goals: STRENGTH

and then the second race was more of a mental strength and running through fatigue: MENTAL STRENGTH

But now I am getting right back to everything, to keep strong through cross country season.

2013-10-14 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Alright, I got my core strength in this morning and will do my abductor stuff tonight.

Over the weekend I couldn't really address the functional strength supplements as I had two races. The first race very much was inline with my strength goals: STRENGTH

and then the second race was more of a mental strength and running through fatigue: MENTAL STRENGTH

But now I am getting right back to everything, to keep strong through cross country season.

Nice racing...holy sheet, a 10K PR on the 2nd day of back-to-back.

2013-10-14 2:33 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Nice racing...holy sheet, a 10K PR on the 2nd day of back-to-back.

Aw thanks. It might not sound like it, but the first race was a much better effort. I've just never really given a 10K an uninhibited effort, so that PR is a little flimsy. But hey, I'll take it!

2013-10-14 3:10 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by EV3110 Ok. Hi. I'm in! Last challenge: Septembers Running Challenge. Eeerrr, which I rarely posted my progress. Don't judge. :D but for the record I *had* been running- just not posting. Half Mary next week. So Weakness: holy crap. Plenty, but we'll start with core. Always neglect it. And yep, it shows. So I began a class at my local boxing gym (I don't do the boxing)-It's a "core" class. Tons of ab- work & plyo using weighted balls and body weight. Addictive! & So fun. I went 3x last week. OMG. Sore. Wow. Everywhere. Goal: 5 days of core work. Would love to continue w 3 days doing core class. The other two days Im on my own for dedicated ab -work: crunches, planks, hanging knee-ups, around the world BT video. Say at least 10 min?..That seems like a long time. I'll work up to 10 minutes...! We good? Am I in? :D

Hello Elena, and welcome!!! Lots of good stuff here. Keep us posted.

2013-10-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Yesterday was more core (crunches and planks) with stretching. Today was back strengthing. Dang, it's been so long and I was pathetic. I'll hurt tomorrow.

{waving furiously} Hey Elena!

Great job, Adrienne on the PR!

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-10-14 3:33 PM
2013-10-15 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Getting back to running today.  I'm moving my speed day to tomorrow, so that I can train with my teammates some (proud member of Team Honeybadger!).

2013-10-15 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
I've been working steadily on my running weakness -- Saturday was my "long" run, Sunday was a "medium" run, Monday was off from running but incorporated strength work (bodyweight glute, quad, and hamstring strength) and stretching/foam rolling. Tonight will be a short run.

And for my bike weakness, I did what I expected to be a veeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyy hard workout this morning and was pleasantly surprised that I felt pretty good all the way through. Maybe this will pay off!
2013-10-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Seattle

A touch sore from the races this weekend but overall feeling great! My hip flexor/ITB irritation is totally gone. I guess I just needed some fast running.

Back at the strength workouts:

Core- Plank, Pull-Up, Flexed Arm Hangs

Legs- Step-Ups, Abductors, Clam Shells

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  

of 53

RELATED POSTS

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVIII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35309 Posts: 1084

2008-06-03 8:15 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35232 Posts: 957

2008-05-20 8:51 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVI) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 34094 Posts: 1003

2008-05-08 9:14 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XV) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35674 Posts: 1005

2008-04-27 6:23 PM lastcall2003

The Mike Ricci July Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by vortmax
Views: 5565 Posts: 61

2006-08-02 3:35 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
It sounds like you have a very common condition that many runners and triathletes experience called patello-femoral pain syndrome. We have seen that runners with core weakness experience this.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : March 21, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : June 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you turn a weakness into strength? It begins with effecting a fundamental change to your triathlete self-image.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!