United States
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 1s
Overall Rank = 46/103
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The night before: Had Chinese food, a Jasmine IPA and went to see Gravity 3D IMAX.

Met all my teammates in Seattle at the park and ride, divided into cars and drove up to Bellingham.

It's really cool to be on a team and doing this kind of stuff together. Even better, is running cross country with a team because it's kind of the one little weird running sub-category where you actually compete as a team.
Event warmup:

We got to Lake Padden around 9:00-9:15. Our coach gave us our bibs and we discussed the course and shoe choices then headed out to warm up.

I had to decide between my spikes and my racing flats. It hadn't rained too much to the course wasn't TOO muddy, but there was quite a bit of dew in the grass. Also there was a lot of hard pack, which is a beeeoootch to run on in spikes. So I decided to go with the flats. I was happy with my decision but did have a few close calls. Had I went down, I may be saying something else.
Run
  • 24m 1s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't have a super solid race plan. I wanted to run well. I wanted to learn some things. And I knew there were a few girls that are notoriously faster than me, and if I could, I wanted to keep them in sight but stick to my own race.

We lined up in the starters box. There were 7 of us and our top two girls were at the front of the box. There was room for a 3rd but one one wanted to step up. I asked T if she wanted to but she declined so I did. The started asked us to quit moving around so much hahaha. He said, "I'm not going to start this thing until you are all still." Finally, BANG!

We were off. The start of XC races are so nuts. I love it. We were funneled into the course and settled into a pace. The first portion of this course was pretty "flat" but the path was very uneven with it slanting down towards the left. I felt as though I could fall at any moment. It was also on grass which was quite slick. We made a slight left and I ALMOST lost it. Knowing there were 50+ women wearing spikes that would run my azz over was a good motivator to stay on my feet. We hit the packed gravel path and 2 teammates T and K passed me (meaning I was in position #4) This part of the course was incredibly difficult for me. I didn't feel like I went out too fast or anything, it just felt hard. I kept T and K in sight but just barely. They were probably 20 seconds ahead. We got our halfway split just as we went into the woods. I think I was at like 13 minutes. YIKES! I didn't panic though. I know that I run well on hills and we were just getting into them. I made my move, powering up the first of several rolling hills in the woods. I passed just a TON of girls. Still, my teammates were pretty far ahead.

A pack of girls were running really well together and making it hard to get around. We went up another hill and it thinned them out. They sort of went single file and I was able to pass them on the right. I used my momentum to carry me past K and I now had T in my sights. I just kept the rhythm, powering up the hills and recovering on the downhills. I didn't have quite enough confidence to get to reckless on the downs as my shoes don't have a ton of traction.

Finally, just before mile 3ish I was able to pass T and told her to stick with me. We broke out of the woods and shyte got HARD! We had to pass the finish line and do another 400 M loop. I kind of wanted to cry. Or to puke. Or both. Honestly, I REALLY thought I was going to puke. I let up, just a little. But then I was thinking, man, this is my change to just HTFU and finish 3rd on our team. So I went for it and gave it my all to the finish. I got a 20+ second PR on a course that was MUCH more difficult than the first.
What would you do differently?:

*HTFU in that last bit of the race. I can't be giving myself "outs"
*T and I talked about working together. Her leading through the flats and me the hills. I think this could really work. But we'll see. Committing to something like that means compromising "racing your own race" but it would probably be a good thing
*Just more experience in XC. This is my second race and I am quite pleased

i'm in the orange, far right in the photo. GO ORANGE!
Post race
Warm down:

Cooled down with the team, watched the mens race then had a team BBQ. BEER!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

*HTFU in that last bit of the race. I can't be giving myself "outs"
*T and I talked about working together. Her leading through the flats and me the hills. I think this could really work. But we'll see. Committing to something like that means compromising "racing your own race" but it would probably be a good thing
*Just more experience in XC. This is my second race and I am quite pleased

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-10-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:01 | 03.73 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/103
Performance: Good
Course: Small loop at the beginning, then through the woods around the lake, another small loop into the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-10-14 11:50 AM

User image

Seattle
Subject: XC #2

2013-10-14 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4876709

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: XC #2

Nice running!

2013-10-14 12:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Sounds like so much fun! Talk about keeping you on your toes!!

Great race!
2013-10-14 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow. Awesome.

I love the part about being motivated to stay on your feet by the cleats behind you.

Sounds like an awesome race and way to finish!!! 3rd for your team is pretty cool!!

2013-10-14 4:12 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Wow, love the way your team communicates and attacks these races.  Yeah XC is a strange beast in the track world for being both individual and team effort.  Nicely done!!

2013-10-14 4:18 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

XC sounds so exciting!  Way to PR and find some potential new strategies with teammates.  Sounds like a great day/weekend all around, my speedy friend, congrats!

2013-10-14 4:32 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Adrienne, I love how, despite your experience, you are still learning every race.  I know XC is still quite new for you, but even still.  I gotta get down and cheer you on in a race, I'd love to see you puke

2013-10-15 10:24 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So much awesome in here.  Love that you were giving yourself the HTFU speech at the end.  I'm assuming you did, in fact, finish third on the team?

A 20 second PR on a much more challenging course is some serious improvement.

I am so impressed with your performances this season, Salty.  It is so fun to hear about how you process things in your training.  I have learned a ton reading your posts and your RRs.  Thank you so much for sharing this stuff.  The board is really lucky to have someone like you on it :)

2013-10-15 12:27 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Boom Chickee Wawa! Nice work Adrienne, 46th and you ran mid 6's????? That was some serious talent out there. keep up the good work!
2013-10-15 12:44 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by reecealan Boom Chickee Wawa! Nice work Adrienne, 46th and you ran mid 6's????? That was some serious talent out there. keep up the good work!

Thanks Reece! It was a collegiate meet, so my placing is pretty typical.

Fallout of us old ladies trying to keep up with the young-uns

2013-10-15 7:59 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by bcraht

Adrienne, I love how, despite your experience, you are still learning every race.  I know XC is still quite new for you, but even still.  I gotta get down and cheer you on in a race, I'd love to see you puke

yeah, she's learning that she can kick some serious a**

keep training and a few pukes on the training path are expected and if it happens in a race, even more kudos to you...

it is a rare athlete who can push to the brink of nausea and I've known quite a few of those.
you should decide on a distance you want to excel at and train for it and make a real attempt at your 'best at the moment' time

some good stuff coming-keep working!

2013-10-16 10:26 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce

yeah, she's learning that she can kick some serious a** keep training and a few pukes on the training path are expected and if it happens in a race, even more kudos to you... it is a rare athlete who can push to the brink of nausea and I've known quite a few of those. you should decide on a distance you want to excel at and train for it and make a real attempt at your 'best at the moment' time some good stuff coming-keep working!

You are too kind.

I'll attempt the full on puke next time. Maybe that will be what I excel at?

Nah, the marathon is my main focus but I can't race that too often, so these stints (track in the summer, XC fall) are used as stepping stones for my bigger goal. I don't think I am speedy enough to focus on something like the 5 or 10K.

2013-10-16 10:49 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Asalzwed

yeah, she's learning that she can kick some serious a** keep training and a few pukes on the training path are expected and if it happens in a race, even more kudos to you... it is a rare athlete who can push to the brink of nausea and I've known quite a few of those. you should decide on a distance you want to excel at and train for it and make a real attempt at your 'best at the moment' time some good stuff coming-keep working!

You are too kind.

Nah, the marathon is my main focus but I can't race that too often, so these stints (track in the summer, XC fall) are used as stepping stones for my bigger goal. I don't think I am speedy enough to focus on something like the 5 or 10K.

yeah, right...OA1 woman at the 10K sure isn't 'fast enough' to focus on...

I'd be willing to bet that within your marathon block, you'll be able to run a sub 39 10K next year. Which marathon are you running?
2013-10-16 11:51 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed

You are too kind.

yeah, right...OA1 woman at the 10K sure isn't 'fast enough' to focus on... I'd be willing to bet that within your marathon block, you'll be able to run a sub 39 10K next year. Which marathon are you running?

I'm running Boston in the spring and then going to pick the following marathons a little more strategically. Which ones are still TBD. Perhaps Cal International or Twin Cities. 

2013-10-17 6:13 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Melon Presser

Love the title second race of the kind and you smoked it. Outstanding solo runner; outstanding team member.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XC #2 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Noho XC 5K 9/5/06

Started by Gwendal
Views: 1178 Posts: 1

2006-09-05 10:14 PM Gwendal

Carrabasset Valley XC Challenge

Started by maureen
Views: 1047 Posts: 5

2006-08-22 12:07 PM max