General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is Ironman approaching the market price tipping point? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-03 3:07 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: Is Ironman approaching the market price tipping point?

It's been a while since we've had a discussion about this.  They've raised the entry for IMFL 2014 another $50 over this year to a new high of $700.  (IIRC, four years ago for the 2010 race, it was about $500?)

I had two athletes who volunteered yesterday.  They were able to get their registration for next year at the race site this morning without any trouble, and didn't complain about the price tag.

Another athlete of mine planned on trying to get in online today, but when he saw that they raised the registration another $50 to $700, he and his wife decided it wasn't worth it, and pulled the plug at the last minute.  Instead, we're looking at a Rev3 event for him instead, because the cost is about $250 less, and their events tend to offer more for the athlete's family.

Since there are more options now, such as Rev3 and Challenge, do you think a lot more people will be likely to choose another event because of the escalating cost or maybe for other reasons too?

2013-11-03 3:23 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Is Ironman approaching the market price tipping point?
No.

Many people will be happy to do Rev3 and other non branded races but still others will only do IM races.
When races like IMAZ sell out in 40 seconds and this year they estimate it may not even go live people prove they are willing to pay the price tag.
For me personally the $650 entry fee was a fraction of the amount spent this past year. The $50 is a drop in the bucket compared to what people are paying for bikes, wetsuits, nutrition, coaching etc.
2013-11-03 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
The price tag is one thing that will keep me from doing an IM branded race. FOR ME, it's just not worth it. If I ever decided to do an iron distance event, I'd look into something non IM branded. In my life, I can't justify spending that much for a race.
2013-11-03 3:35 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by KeriKadi No. Many people will be happy to do Rev3 and other non branded races but still others will only do IM races. When races like IMAZ sell out in 40 seconds and this year they estimate it may not even go live people prove they are willing to pay the price tag. For me personally the $650 entry fee was a fraction of the amount spent this past year. The $50 is a drop in the bucket compared to what people are paying for bikes, wetsuits, nutrition, coaching etc.

Ok, then I have a follow up question.

What do you think the limit is?  $800?  $1,000?  $1,500?  There has to be a point where the market says "that's more than we're willing to pay".

I don't know the answer, and don't even have a gut feeling for where the pricing limit is, but I'm curious what others think.

2013-11-03 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I did IMFL yesterday as my first full distance race. I did it because I live close to PCB and yes because it was IM branded. I wanted the circus and large group of people for my first. I got everything that was offered. I have a hard time believing any race could have the start IMFL does (the fight for the first 400 yards of the swim was awesome). However I'm looking at Rev 3 Ceder Point for my next full. The $200-300 price difference could be used on travel for me, giving me more options. I wish Rev 3 did more full's because they have a bit of a following, and I'm sure Challenge will too. I don't think I'd sign up for a HITS full as I've done some of their races and they're a bit bare bones.
2013-11-03 3:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-11-03 4:02 PM

2013-11-03 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by KeriKadi No. Many people will be happy to do Rev3 and other non branded races but still others will only do IM races. When races like IMAZ sell out in 40 seconds and this year they estimate it may not even go live people prove they are willing to pay the price tag. For me personally the $650 entry fee was a fraction of the amount spent this past year. The $50 is a drop in the bucket compared to what people are paying for bikes, wetsuits, nutrition, coaching etc.

What do you think the limit is?  $800?  $1,000?  $1,500?  There has to be a point where the market says "that's more than we're willing to pay".

I don't know the answer, and don't even have a gut feeling for where the pricing limit is, but I'm curious what others think.

. Good question Don. I imagine there is some sort of dollar number that puts it beyond the reach of many, but honestly most ironman triathletes are not close at $700 ime. First incomes of ironman athletes tend to be on the higher side. Second as the above poster stated, the entry fee is but a small chunk of the cost overall. Bikes, wheels, coaching, nutrition, clothes, shoes, wetsuits et , etc. I hate to say this but if IMFL was $1,000 it would still sell out. Maybe not as fast, and clearly this is speculation on my part, but it has a ways to go.

IM NYC was the tipping point at least right now.  The year they ran it was $825 I think (sold out), and then the next year they upped it to $1200 and signups were slow before they canned it.

Of course, you have to figure with inflation that prices are going to slowly rise over time, so the limit in 2012 might be a lot different from say, 2017.

Edit: the princes can probably handle $1200

Edited by spudone 2013-11-03 4:24 PM
2013-11-03 4:28 PM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I thought about this too so I did some research

IM Los Cabos: Open
IMTX: Open
IMCDA: Open
IMLP: Foundation Slots
IM Canada: Open
IM Colorado: Foundation Slots
IMLou: Open
IMWI: Foundation Slots
IM Tahoe: Open
IM Chatt: Sold Out
IMFL: Foundation Slots:
IMAZ:????

So out of 11 races open for registration as of today we have:
6 Open
3 Open for Foundation Slots
1 Sold Out

Yes IMFL and IMAZ sell out within minutes with IMWI and IMLP not far behind, but after that for races that are not in their inaugural year its a bit different.

Rev 3 Cedar Point falls on the same day as IMWI and is about 8 hours east, and it has been gaining participants each year. Challenge Penticton had its inaugural year with the expected drop. Where does PC go from here? Well Roth had the same drop and look at it now.

IMO I think that IMLP, IMWI, IMFL, and IMAZ will be sellouts or virtual sellouts within the first day, IMWI being the one possible exception here. Although IM Canada, IM Chatt, IM Colordao could become instant sellouts as well. Other then that I think many of these races are reaching their tipping point in price right now

The driving force for WTC is the heart of the 30-50 AG's, these people have families, and this is what Challenege and Rev 3 are catering too more. With a deduction in registration prices they have their way of scooping up A LOT of unhappy athletes seeing $750 price tags.

I think WTC is starting to flirt with their price tag, already have for some races it seems.
2013-11-03 4:29 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

It's been a while since we've had a discussion about this.  They've raised the entry for IMFL 2014 another $50 over this year to a new high of $700.  (IIRC, four years ago for the 2010 race, it was about $500?)

I had two athletes who volunteered yesterday.  They were able to get their registration for next year at the race site this morning without any trouble, and didn't complain about the price tag.

Another athlete of mine planned on trying to get in online today, but when he saw that they raised the registration another $50 to $700, he and his wife decided it wasn't worth it, and pulled the plug at the last minute.  Instead, we're looking at a Rev3 event for him instead, because the cost is about $250 less, and their events tend to offer more for the athlete's family.

Since there are more options now, such as Rev3 and Challenge, do you think a lot more people will be likely to choose another event because of the escalating cost or maybe for other reasons too?

I just checked the Rev3 site for Cedar Full distance and it's between $425 - $475....not $250.

still certainly cheaper than a WTC IM race

as for the $700 entry for WTC IM, well....it's expensive but it's only a part, where the hotel, car, airfare, and misc are the main cost factors.
2013-11-03 4:29 PM
in reply to: spudone

2013-11-03 4:31 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

. Good question Don. I imagine there is some sort of dollar number that puts it beyond the reach of many, but honestly most ironman triathletes are not close at $700 ime. First incomes of ironman athletes tend to be on the higher side. Second as the above poster stated, the entry fee is but a small chunk of the cost overall. Bikes, wheels, coaching, nutrition, clothes, shoes, wetsuits et , etc. I hate to say this but if IMFL was $1,000 it would still sell out. Maybe not as fast, and clearly this is speculation on my part, but it has a ways to go.

So is it fair to say with foundation slots at $1400 that could be their cap? Because while the race sold out of general entry, foundation slots are open. See my post on a breakdown of races that are open to GE, FS, or sold out. I think we are getting to tipping points in some demographics.
2013-11-03 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4891257

WTC could charge 2000 per race and still sell out quite a few of them for sure. When people volunteer just to get as lot for next year, demand is thru the roof.

Vineman 70.3 sod out in minutes this week.
2013-11-03 4:38 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

2013-11-03 4:39 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by bcagle25 I thought about this too so I did some research

IM Los Cabos: Open -- hills
IMTX: Open -- hot
IMCDA: Open  -- cold swim, hills
IMLP: Foundation Slots  -- hills (but high population)
IM Canada: Open  -- hills
IM Colorado: Foundation Slots -- altitude but not a rough course
IMLou: Open -- hot
IM Tahoe: Open -- altitude, hills
IM Chatt: Sold Out (I haven't looked)
IMFL: Foundation Slots: -- flat
IMAZ:???? -- flat-ish

Starting to see a pattern?  It's sort of funny considering people who do IM supposedly want a challenge   IMWI being the outlier - I haven't done it but looks like a hard course.

The price point also gets affected by perception.  IM NYC had a big problem being the ONLY race that was priced higher.  If they were all $1200, people would probably suck it up and just pay.

2013-11-03 4:49 PM
in reply to: 0

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by spudone

Starting to see a pattern?  It's sort of funny considering people who do IM supposedly want a challenge   IMWI being the outlier - I haven't done it but looks like a hard course.

The price point also gets affected by perception.  IM NYC had a big problem being the ONLY race that was priced higher.  If they were all $1200, people would probably suck it up and just pay.

Hence why Asheville was never given an IM. And I like this pattern as courses like IMAZ do not excite me in the least bit. So if I were to do an IM next year all my choices are open, and I can virtually find a way into IMWI well into spring from local offers.

I never understood the anger with IMLT. Hard course, hard conditions and then everyone complained about the weather, course and T1 tent. Isn't IM supposed to be hard, dealing with adversity, and adapting to changes on the fly (T1 tent)?

Im gonna feed this over to ST and see the response on this.

Edited by bcagle25 2013-11-03 4:52 PM

2013-11-03 4:51 PM

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by spudone

You're missing IMMT. It did not sell out right away, but is sold out now. (maybe foundation slots) Semi-hilly I am told.
2013-11-03 5:08 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

Master
, California

I never understood the anger with IMLT. Hard course, hard conditions and then everyone complained about the weather, course and T1 tent. Isn't IM supposed to be hard, dealing with adversity, and adapting to changes on the fly (T1 tent)?

I had no problem with the course but yeah the weather put me in a bad mood.  I like a challenge but hypothermia isn't a challenge - it's just miserable.  All that said, I think the anger for many people stemmed from:

- T1 bags piled up *uncovered* the day before in a big storm of high wind and freezing rain.  Lots of people got the pleasure of changing into iced over clothes.
- WTC implying that there'd be a shuttle to T1 during the signup.  Nope.  If you didn't happen to rent an SUV, you got to ride your bike 20 miles in that storm to drop it off.
- poorly lit run course for the later finishers.

If they want that race to survive for the long term, they really need to find a way to move it back a month or 2.

2013-11-03 5:18 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I don't do IMFL because its branded I do it because its drivable and easy.  The housing is easy and cheep the venue is easy and my friends and family know it well.  I don't have a big drive to do a bunch of different races.  When my now 75 year old parents come they know where to go and what to do.  I have a busy ;life and I am willing to pay for easy. 

2013-11-03 5:22 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

Bronze member

Originally posted by The Chupacabra The price tag is one thing that will keep me from doing an IM branded race. FOR ME, it's just not worth it. If I ever decided to do an iron distance event, I'd look into something non IM branded. In my life, I can't justify spending that much for a race.

Agree but the price tag is not the only thing that would keep me from doing an IM. Something about that 100+ mile ride followed by a marathon! But yes, I can't get passed the race fee to even contemplate the distance. My brain turns off just hearing that amount. I had a friend race Steelhead HIM this summer and I thought it would be fun to race it as a team with her husband taking over the run for me. That would have cost $350 - totally not worth it TO ME. I stayed home and raced a HIM Aqua/bike for a very cheap price .

2013-11-03 5:33 PM
in reply to: Fred D

We could make a quick little open text field survey to see what people here thing :P

2013-11-03 6:09 PM
in reply to: trigal38

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same here. Not considering an IM in the foreseeable future (maybe never!) but the price tag would put me off a branded race. I guess what really bothers me is throwing all that money almost a year out for the high-demand races and, with that frame of time and the wear and tear of IM training, having there be a pretty distinct possibility that I'd be unable to even start due to injury or other life events. I've seen that happen to multiple people on BT. If I actually did the event, I guess I MIGHT not mind paying a little extra to know that it was being put on by reputable people who (it seems usually) know what they're doing with medical support, logistics, etc. and/or to race in a desirable location, but if I didn't do the race, that's an amazing amount of money to throw away. I don't have the high income that many triathletes have, so to make that up, it would mean a sacrifice like canceling a vacation or visit home.

If I did do an IM, I'd probably look for a well-established, non-branded race for my first one. I had a very positive experience with my first HIM (Chelanman in Washington State), which was a non-branded one and quite small, so I'm not necessarily stuck on the IM brand. Yes, my HIM was bare-bones--generic finisher medal, water bottle for winning my AG, generic T-shirt (several races were run concurrently), no finisher's photos-- but it was a beautiful course, there was great support, and it was worth the $175 I paid for it!

That being said, for most people the price probably isn't at the tipping point.
2013-11-03 6:21 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I think as long as they keep 'boiling the frog' the price tag will not be an issue until they hit 4 digits. $50 here, $50 there and people will complain while inputting their VISA number.
2013-11-03 6:41 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

Delco, PA

Originally posted by bigevilgrape

We could make a quick little open text field survey to see what people here thing :P

Any results page viewable for that survey? I responded!

2013-11-03 6:48 PM

Originally posted by bcagle25 I thought about this too so I did some research 2014 IM Los Cabos: Open IMTX: Open IMCDA: Open IMLP: Foundation Slots IM Canada: Open IM Colorado: Foundation Slots IMLou: Open IMWI: Foundation Slots IM Tahoe: Open IM Chatt: Sold Out IMFL: Foundation Slots: IMAZ:???? So out of 11 races open for registration as of today we have: 6 Open 3 Open for Foundation Slots 1 Sold Out

My $0.02.

Los Cabos, TX, and CDA are all really early season meaning that the northern clime folks have a harder time training for those.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is Ironman approaching the market price tipping point? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Equipment Price Points

Started by FranzZemen
Views: 1466 Posts: 11

2013-01-02 6:19 PM morey000

Bike price points for stepping up

Started by a_l_existence
Views: 1783 Posts: 12

2012-08-25 11:29 AM mikec123

Is the Entry Price Point Triathlon Bike Doomed? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 5734 Posts: 81

2011-10-11 8:49 AM pitt83

2K Price Point Tri Bike for Tall Men Poll

Started by Meats
Views: 3968 Posts: 15

2011-01-28 2:55 PM JohnnyKay

pedal and shoe set from price point

Started by oiprocs1975
Views: 574 Posts: 1

2004-09-01 5:42 PM oiprocs1975
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 4, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 4
When shopping for triathlon bike aerobars, considerations range from adjustability, comfort, aerodynamics, weight, and of course, price.

date : April 12, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.

date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
comments : 0
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.