Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wealth distribution in the US Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-21 9:08 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Wealth distribution in the US

http://www.utrend.tv/v/9-out-of-10-americans-are-completely-wrong-about-this-mind-blowing-fact/

Thought provoking.

The top 1% earns almost 40x the average private in active duty in the Military. ($717,000 vs $19,000)  And no matter your political views, you KNOW that without these brave men & women pay for our freedom.  Too bad we don't pay them. 

2013-11-21 9:27 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Wealth distribution in the US
WOW!!! CAPITALISM!!!
2013-11-21 9:36 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro

My Grandfather made a fort out of the dead bodies of his fellow soldiers on the beach at Tarawa as he fought his way forward.  He was paid virtually nothing by today's standards.

He came home from the war and built a family business and raised 9 children who spawned 47 grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  Nobody ever heard him complain one time about his lot in life.

Wow!!!  Capitalism!!

2013-11-22 1:54 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Indeed.   And my thought was: "Why should I listen to this guy, when he doesn't know the difference (or at least doesn't want to explain the difference) between wealth and income?

2013-11-22 6:33 AM

User image

I'll always agree with teachers, law enforcement, first responders, active military excetra should be paid more.What I don't understand is when did it become anyone business what the top 1 - 5 - 10% in this country make? I like capitalism, not communism.
2013-11-22 6:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by pga_mike

http://www.utrend.tv/v/9-out-of-10-americans-are-completely-wrong-about-this-mind-blowing-fact/

Thought provoking.

The top 1% earns almost 40x the average private in active duty in the Military. ($717,000 vs $19,000)  And no matter your political views, you KNOW that without these brave men & women pay for our freedom.  Too bad we don't pay them. 

19k is the paycheck.  plus housing.  plus medical care.  plus educational and vocational benefits for themselves and their spouses.  plus pretty significant tax and retirement benefits.

not too shabby for an 18 - 22 year old kid.

also, kind of an unfair comparison cause your 1%ers are either from super wealthy families, or older/educated/started somewhere else, where your average private has a high school diploma and no skills (until his/her military training provides them...yet another benefit without a $ sign attached)

Edited by mehaner 2013-11-22 6:42 AM

2013-11-22 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If they don't pay enough, why do people keep signing up?
2013-11-22 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by jmcconne

If they don't pay enough, why do people keep signing up?

Some people see it as the only way out of their shi**y neighborhood, some people want to serve their country and for others it's a legacy thing.

But I don't know a single person who signed up for the military because the pay was AWESOME!
2013-11-22 1:38 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Sensei
Sin City

That was cool!  I love stats and knowledge.  However, I'm sure the author got exactly the opposite reaction from me.  I wasn't upset at all.  We got some super rich folks in this nation!  Props to them.

The reason I'm NOT upset?  He said that something like 80% of the nation only has 7% of the wealth?  That's somehow unfair?  I say, BIG DEAL.  Because that is enough to live, and live comfortably for many.  Now if 80% of the nation couldn't afford bread and only the rich could eat, there might be a problem.  But since the MARKET needs to provide goods and services to everyone (not just the top 10%), the prices will accommodate that.  So most everyone can survive.  So let's take all the money from the rich and distribute it to the poor.  Well, now the poor have millions (as all of us now do).  Guess how much a pizza is going to cost.  Probably about 200 bucks...

The only thing this really tells me is that the upper 10% with 40% of the wealth (or whatever they said) have SO much, they really can't do anything with it anyway other than "have" it.  A billionaire doesn't live any better than someone who has 100 billion.

The whole concept of distribution of wealth seems so fundamentally flawed to me, I'm surprised that so many seem to push for it.  I would like a dialogue with someone that would have a logical argument for it that could make me rethink.

As a side note.  It looks like if you just took the 10% of the population (with 40% of the wealth) out of the equation the graph would be very close to what people think - (and a normal distribution).  It's just like the 10% of students in a class that ace EVERYTHING, but everyone else is a normal distribution.  A teacher may kick those results out to establish the curve for a passing grade for the masses.

2013-11-22 3:47 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by mehaner

Thought provoking.

19k is the paycheck.  plus housing.  plus medical care.  plus educational and vocational benefits for themselves and their spouses.  plus pretty significant tax and retirement benefits.

also, kind of an unfair comparison cause your 1%ers are either from super wealthy families, or older/educated/started somewhere else, where your average private has a high school diploma and no skills (until his/her military training provides them...yet another benefit without a $ sign attached)

^^^This.

I looked into joining the military. The pay is just a portion of the money they get. For a kid right out of high school to make $20k is pretty dang good around here. Tack on the housing allowance and all the other benefits and they are doing better than a lot of college graduates around here. 

2013-11-22 4:55 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I thought about it because of college. I would not be in the debt I am in today if I went into the army for 2 years and I would graduated 2 years earlier. oh well. There is more of a risk going down that route though.

2013-11-22 5:57 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by mehaner

Thought provoking.

^^^This.

I looked into joining the military. The pay is just a portion of the money they get. For a kid right out of high school to make $20k is pretty dang good around here. Tack on the housing allowance and all the other benefits and they are doing better than a lot of college graduates around here. 

MY nephew is doing failry well thanks to the service.  4 years in the army, finished up his undergrad on the GI Bill now workig on his masters.  An education he would not have been able to afford otherwise.

2013-11-22 8:18 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I don't mind the top 1% of people earning more money. If they didn't, they would not have the incentive to bring in extra $millions in new business so that the rest of us can have jobs too.
2013-11-22 9:28 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Elite

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by jmcconne If they don't pay enough, why do people keep signing up?
Some people see it as the only way out of their shi**y neighborhood, some people want to serve their country and for others it's a legacy thing. But I don't know a single person who signed up for the military because the pay was AWESOME!

Actually... I did. Nukes entered as E-3 and got E-4 out of school. You got a $30,000 bonus for graduating. After your 6 years, starting salaries for nukes were $60K in the 80s. I don't work at a nuke plant (nor want to), but am one of the highest paid blue collar jobs. Us and elevator repair people usually trade #1 and #2. I am one of the highest paid positions in the country that does not need a degree. Pilots are usually #1, and they make a good bit more.

During the wars, signing bonuses were as high as $20K for some jobs. Retention bonuses were the same. The GI bill was increased, and so was pay. We could not have fought the wars if people did not join for the money.

2013-11-22 9:54 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

My Grandfather, my dad, both of my uncles, and I all served in the Marine Corps...........we've all barely been able to survive in the world.   

Salary while serving is only a small part of the benefits.....and doesn't last nearly as long as the rest.

2013-11-22 10:04 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain

My Grandfather, my dad, both of my uncles, and I all served in the Marine Corps...........we've all barely been able to survive in the world.   

Salary while serving is only a small part of the benefits.....and doesn't last nearly as long as the rest.

Although... we used to figure out our hourly wage. Since we were "on the job" 24/7/365... I think I made .11 cents an hour when I started. 

.... but since our room and board was taken care of... that was all beer money. 

Edited by powerman 2013-11-22 10:04 PM

2013-11-22 10:08 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman

Although... we used to figure out our hourly wage. Since we were "on the job" 24/7/365... I think I made .11 cents an hour when I started. 

LOL...... we always had beer, and never had money....and nobody cared.   

Let's be honest here....if you're broke there is no better way to spend the day than shooting and blowing chit up.

Honestly, I feel sorry for people who didn't serve in the military....some of the best years of my life for sure.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-11-22 10:10 PM
2013-11-22 11:33 PM

User image

Elite

LOL...... we always had beer, and never had money....and nobody cared.   

Let's be honest here....if you're broke there is no better way to spend the day than shooting and blowing chit up.

Honestly, I feel sorry for people who didn't serve in the military....some of the best years of my life for sure.

I honestly did not care for being told what I could and could not do... go figure. But yes, looking back it was an incredible experience. Nothing else can come close... and I served in peace. I can only imagine being in combat with my brothers.

We got a new Captian in the middle of a cruise. He would drill us all the time... we sucked. Over 10 minutes to battle stations in the day. One night, 2:00 in the morning, general quarters sounded. First thought was I can't believe this fool is doing this to us... but there was just something in the air that this was not a drill. He later came on and said a plane was low and inbound and not ID'ing or diverting. This was right after the Stark. The missiles were on the rails and waiting for the order. We nearly shot down an airliner that was out of bounds.... but he said we made it from sleep to battle stations in 1:45. After that he cut us some slack. When we knew he had our backs, we worked harder for him. 

One of those deals.... if I only knew then what I know now.... 

Edited by powerman 2013-11-22 11:47 PM
2013-11-22 11:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
The majority of those that are wealthy became wealthy by increasing our living standards. Now so many are complaining about that, most likely using a computer/software created by those very wealthy people. Over the past 5 years, the chant of 'tax the wealthy' has gotten pretty loud, yet no talk about the tax incidence. Also, one needs to define wealthy better. Somebody earning $50m a year extremely wealthy compared to somebody earning $25m a year.

Also, there needs to be a distinction between capitalism and free-markets. They are two different things. Capitalism is who owns the resources, free-markets is how those resources are deployed. As an economist, I get picky about those slight distinctions.

2013-11-23 7:45 AM

User image

Y'know, having been a private, pfc, spc, sgt, wo1, cw2, cw3 in the Army I do believe I'm in a position to say, Who the hell cares?

It shows if you want to make money, you have to work at making money.
If you want to be a professional good guy, then you have to work at being a professional good guy.

Trying to compare the two professions in relation to salary alone is automatically skewing the input in favor of a political statement rather than complete take away of each profession.

2013-11-23 7:47 AM
in reply to: guppie58

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I believe that the point of the video is that the middle class no longer is the middle class.  They are now the working poor.

I am fortunate to be either in or near the top 20%, but only because I married a really smart, hard-working woman.

2013-11-23 11:58 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by DanielG Y'know, having been a private, pfc, spc, sgt, wo1, cw2, cw3 in the Army I do believe I'm in a position to say, Who the hell cares? It shows if you want to make money, you have to work at making money. If you want to be a professional good guy, then you have to work at being a professional good guy. Trying to compare the two professions in relation to salary alone is automatically skewing the input in favor of a political statement rather than complete take away of each profession.

Posts like them make me wish BT had a "LIKE" button.

Thanks for serving, Daniel.

2013-11-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by So Fresh So Clean

I don't mind the top 1% of people earning more money. If they didn't, they would not have the incentive to bring in extra $millions in new business so that the rest of us can have jobs too.

Judging by the unemployment rate in this country, of which so very many people on this message board are quick to make note when it fits their political purposes, the top 1% really suck at their jobs.
2013-11-23 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Originally posted by jmcconne If they don't pay enough, why do people keep signing up?
Some people see it as the only way out of their shi**y neighborhood, some people want to serve their country and for others it's a legacy thing. But I don't know a single person who signed up for the military because the pay was AWESOME!

Actually... I did. Nukes entered as E-3 and got E-4 out of school. You got a $30,000 bonus for graduating. After your 6 years, starting salaries for nukes were $60K in the 80s. I don't work at a nuke plant (nor want to), but am one of the highest paid blue collar jobs. Us and elevator repair people usually trade #1 and #2. I am one of the highest paid positions in the country that does not need a degree. Pilots are usually #1, and they make a good bit more.

During the wars, signing bonuses were as high as $20K for some jobs. Retention bonuses were the same. The GI bill was increased, and so was pay. We could not have fought the wars if people did not join for the money.

I made crap money while I was in the Navy as a Nuke. But I always had a meal and a roof over my head that I never had to pay for. Re-enlisted in a war zone = tax free CASH. But more importantly, that got my college pretty much paid for and then was the #1 reason I started at $60k and in 5 years was at $100k with the NRC.

Why did I join? To get out of a crappy neighborhood, break the cycle and go to college.

Funny thing is that I didn't realized just how little I made until I bought back my Navy time to go towards my Federal time and it was less than a month's pay. So 10% of 7 years in the Navy base pay combined was less than what I was making a month at the NRC. Good times!
2013-11-23 10:28 PM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Marvarnett

I made crap money while I was in the Navy as a Nuke. But I always had a meal and a roof over my head that I never had to pay for. Re-enlisted in a war zone = tax free CASH. But more importantly, that got my college pretty much paid for and then was the #1 reason I started at $60k and in 5 years was at $100k with the NRC. Why did I join? To get out of a crappy neighborhood, break the cycle and go to college. Funny thing is that I didn't realized just how little I made until I bought back my Navy time to go towards my Federal time and it was less than a month's pay. So 10% of 7 years in the Navy base pay combined was less than what I was making a month at the NRC. Good times!

Well ya, I was not making great money, but I was making a great INVESTMENT. I certainly was not living high on the hog in the Navy., but we had other benefits. The Navy sort of sucked for that, because being single we didn't get housing. So we would pitch in on apartments out of our own pocket. 

A co-worker had a kid in the war. Did everything right it seemed. Saved his money, got bonuses, came back and put $30K down on a new SS Camaro. I can't even get a $50K car and I make good money. 

I just graduated, and my parents were moving ironically to where I am now. But I didn't want to go, and I didn't think I could support myself right out of HS, even though I was a hard worker. My Dad was in the Navy and alway talked it up, and I was always pro military to some degree. MY best friend joined the AF to be a pilot. College was not an option. So I sort of had nothing better to do, but I was not starring at poverty and no hope for the future. I thought the Navy would be a good "job". Turns out, it was kind of a crappy "job"... but it gave me a great career.

And no, I did not do everything right. And those that did... like you it seems... ya, they did really well for themselves. And that still holds true for today.

I would love to talk about what you do...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wealth distribution in the US Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

home closing and $ distribution ?

Started by houston-tri-mama
Views: 811 Posts: 21

2009-06-28 7:02 AM jessm

U.S. Busines leaving the U.S.

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1404 Posts: 23

2009-03-13 9:27 PM klowman

Spread The Wealth Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by fromer
Views: 4689 Posts: 127

2008-11-03 7:20 AM Rad-Onc PA

You think YOUR thread distribution is bad? Pages: 1 2

Started by DerekL
Views: 1194 Posts: 42

2007-10-12 8:06 AM hangloose

What is your post distribution? Pages: 1 2

Started by So Fresh So Clean
Views: 1220 Posts: 26

2007-08-12 5:28 PM CitySky
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).