Other Resources Challenge Me! » January 100 Mile Run Challenge! Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2014-01-15 8:45 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: January 100 Mile Run Challenge!
5 miles tonight...easy pace on the treadmill.

2014-01-16 7:01 AM
in reply to: popsracer

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by SGirl Welp...I strained my adductor 'area.' (the actual term is adductor belvis, if we must get techical) I have been lifting heavier, and also running more...as I'm training for a 1/2 marathon...but, I think this is my body's way of saying I must make a choice...I can't do both types of training, equally well. Something will give...like my hip adductor! haha It's a weird feeling, for those who have had it...you know what I mean. Near your groin area. Ick. Just makes you feel...ick. No running yesterday or today...hoping by Friday?? I will be able to get some in. I need to leave this alone and let it heal up. It's one of those things, that you just can't push past. Happy running to all, I will be cheering you all on in the meantime.

Sorry about your strain.  Be careful and ease back in when you can.

----------

Tonight was 50 degrees and no wind for my track workout.  It felt almost balmy compared to the last weeks.  Had a really good session with my 400's at 1:28 average.  Down four seconds from last week at roughly the same RPE.  Pulling back on my easy run yesterday seemed to help as I didn't feel the fatigue that had been creeping in.  Tomorrow will be super easy to setup my medium long run Thursday.

And thanks again Dale for pulling all this together.  You are a wealth of information and a great motivator.

Nice running you had and thanks for the supportive words! Feelin a bit better...but no running today...to be safe. This is one of those things that I hate to test it, and it gets worse. Have a good day, everybody!
2014-01-16 9:33 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
So it seems that a hard day of snowboarding in old boots (serious pain in my right foot) followed by a good mile repeats at half mary pace track workout has screwed up my body. Weird things going on in my ankle. And my back has been tightening up. Took Tuesday off, swam yesterday. My ankle is better so I will try running again tonight to see how that goes. If that doesn't work, easy biking to test that out. Do not need to get injured right now so I will not be pushing it.

I have never had lower back issues before and while it's not really much pain, just some discomfort, I can't tell if something is wrong or if I am dwelling on it so much it seems worse.
2014-01-16 12:27 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by MechEChick So it seems that a hard day of snowboarding in old boots (serious pain in my right foot) followed by a good mile repeats at half mary pace track workout has screwed up my body. Weird things going on in my ankle. And my back has been tightening up. Took Tuesday off, swam yesterday. My ankle is better so I will try running again tonight to see how that goes. If that doesn't work, easy biking to test that out. Do not need to get injured right now so I will not be pushing it. I have never had lower back issues before and while it's not really much pain, just some discomfort, I can't tell if something is wrong or if I am dwelling on it so much it seems worse.

Oh no! Take it easy. Back stuff isn't fun!

2014-01-16 12:34 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

New user
Seven on the trails in MA today puts me over 100 mi for the month. There's still a bit of patchy ice here and there, but it's cool to be running in the woods in January. Maybe winter will return, but I'm enjoying the spring weather while it lasts.
2014-01-16 12:34 PM

User image

Seattle

Last nights track workout was 

WU 

3 x 1.75 @ 6:28 

CD

Today, 6 miles recovery AM, 8 Miles easy afternoon.

2014-01-16 1:03 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by MechEChick So it seems that a hard day of snowboarding in old boots (serious pain in my right foot) followed by a good mile repeats at half mary pace track workout has screwed up my body. Weird things going on in my ankle. And my back has been tightening up. Took Tuesday off, swam yesterday. My ankle is better so I will try running again tonight to see how that goes. If that doesn't work, easy biking to test that out. Do not need to get injured right now so I will not be pushing it. I have never had lower back issues before and while it's not really much pain, just some discomfort, I can't tell if something is wrong or if I am dwelling on it so much it seems worse.

Yes, be careful with that back.  Could just be strain from snowboarding if you haven't done it in a while.  It seems that if I try any new type of activity I have to be very careful because I may be pretty fit with straight line stuff but other supportive muscle tissue required for other things may not be fully capable of dealing with the stress.  Hope your ankle is better and you have a good run.  We actually have some hazy sun today.

----------------

I've got my midweek, medium run tonight of about 8 miles.  I really, really need to focus on keeping the correct pace.  I think I need to make a game of it where success is gauged on hitting splits not shaving 30 seconds off my average planned pace.

2014-01-16 1:07 PM
in reply to: tbonanno

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by tbonanno Seven on the trails in MA today puts me over 100 mi for the month. There's still a bit of patchy ice here and there, but it's cool to be running in the woods in January. Maybe winter will return, but I'm enjoying the spring weather while it lasts.

Congrats on hitting 100.  Are you going to shoot for 200?

2014-01-16 1:33 PM

User image

Anyone besides me use a tempo trainer? I've found it very useful both from a pacing standpoint and a form standpoint. I keep my form and cadence pretty constant (@180 steps/min), and it helps me focus on foot strike, posture, relaxing my upper body, and varying stride length to change pace. Just wondering.
2014-01-16 4:48 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by PsyTri Anyone besides me use a tempo trainer? I've found it very useful both from a pacing standpoint and a form standpoint. I keep my form and cadence pretty constant (@180 steps/min), and it helps me focus on foot strike, posture, relaxing my upper body, and varying stride length to change pace. Just wondering.

Not I

2014-01-16 6:48 PM

User image

6 miles this evening with 8 strides, managed a 7:29 pace for the entire run. This will be my last real hard speed work day before the 100miler. Just over two weeks to go.

2014-01-16 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
There is some great running going on in this thread!

I am continuing to recover from this past weekends foray into trail running, tonight was 5 miles on the treadmill to reach day 50 of the run streak. Almost fully recovered and ready to look for the next event.
2014-01-17 7:56 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

New user
Originally posted by SGirl

Welp...I strained my adductor 'area.' (the actual term is adductor belvis, if we must get techical) I have been lifting heavier, and also running more...as I'm training for a 1/2 marathon...but, I think this is my body's way of saying I must make a choice...I can't do both types of training, equally well. Something will give...like my hip adductor! haha It's a weird feeling, for those who have had it...you know what I mean. Near your groin area. Ick. Just makes you feel...ick.

No running yesterday or today...hoping by Friday?? I will be able to get some in. I need to leave this alone and let it heal up. It's one of those things, that you just can't push past.

Happy running to all, I will be cheering you all on in the meantime.

I hope you are feeling better very soon!

Thanks for your nice words and thoughts for me this week.
It is going well so far. The 8 mile midweek run was long for me but I am on track for now!

Mary
2014-01-17 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by tbonanno

Seven on the trails in MA today puts me over 100 mi for the month. There's still a bit of patchy ice here and there, but it's cool to be running in the woods in January. Maybe winter will return, but I'm enjoying the spring weather while it lasts.

Wow! Nice work.

I got out for a nice 6.5 mile run last night and felt great. That puts me at 60 miles for the month. As it is dry again today, I'm hoping to enjoy it with a good easy workout this afternoon.
2014-01-17 10:59 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
14 mi yesterday (spread over 2 runs) + 7 today puts me over 100 for the month. Can't wait for Sunday, I have marathon pace work for 16 mi.
2014-01-17 11:05 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by PsyTri

Anyone besides me use a tempo trainer? I've found it very useful both from a pacing standpoint and a form standpoint. I keep my form and cadence pretty constant (@180 steps/min), and it helps me focus on foot strike, posture, relaxing my upper body, and varying stride length to change pace. Just wondering.

What is a tempo trainer?

2014-01-17 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by MechEChick

Originally posted by PsyTri

What is a tempo trainer?

A tempo trainer is a device which is worn on the athlete and give a little noise at a specific rate/cadence to help with either running or swimming cadence. I suppose it could be used on the bike too, but most do not.

It is really helpful when beginning to engrain the muscles of a particuliar sport to hold a certain cadence. It entrains runners to hold a high cadence, ideally ~180/minute or more, to lessen landing shock injury and help with mechanics.

I do not use it because I've been running for a long time, but in the beginning I used to count my step rate VERY frequently. I do not need to do it now, but many do to keep the step rate high.

They are available for swimming also.
2014-01-17 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Originally posted by tbonanno Seven on the trails in MA today puts me over 100 mi for the month. There's still a bit of patchy ice here and there, but it's cool to be running in the woods in January. Maybe winter will return, but I'm enjoying the spring weather while it lasts.

Steve
Tony posts infrequently and probably didn't even see this...

He told me that he's not going to shoot for any number and isn't a slave to any schedule-he just runs (and runs and runs and swims and rarely bikes).

He is a perfect example of volume training and optimal weight. I saw him set some nice PR's recently and he just ran a 5K race with NO speedtraining at all in 19:23 several weeks ago. Not bad for a medium old dude approaching 50 yo.
2014-01-17 12:28 PM

User image

Got out for a nice 10.5 mile run today, sunny and low 30's out. That is changing tomorrow though, some cold temps are heading my way again.
2014-01-17 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by dtoce

Steve Tony posts infrequently and probably didn't even see this... He told me that he's not going to shoot for any number and isn't a slave to any schedule-he just runs (and runs and runs and swims and rarely bikes). He is a perfect example of volume training and optimal weight. I saw him set some nice PR's recently and he just ran a 5K race with NO speedtraining at all in 19:23 several weeks ago. Not bad for a medium old dude approaching 50 yo.

Yah yes.. optimal weight.  Funny you should mention that as I stepped on the scale this morning and vowed to refocus my efforts to lose that extra weight.  Looking at my logs I did the same thing last year and lost about six pounds before an HM I was training for.  I think it had a significant impact on my race that day. 

2014-01-17 4:42 PM

User image

New user

Originally posted by dtoce

Steve Tony posts infrequently and probably didn't even see this... He told me that he's not going to shoot for any number and isn't a slave to any schedule-he just runs (and runs and runs and swims and rarely bikes). He is a perfect example of volume training and optimal weight. I saw him set some nice PR's recently and he just ran a 5K race with NO speedtraining at all in 19:23 several weeks ago. Not bad for a medium old dude approaching 50 yo.

Yah yes.. optimal weight.  Funny you should mention that as I stepped on the scale this morning and vowed to refocus my efforts to lose that extra weight.  Looking at my logs I did the same thing last year and lost about six pounds before an HM I was training for.  I think it had a significant impact on my race that day. 

Dale, If it stays this warm, I might have to pull out the bike soon.

I used to do the rigorous marathon schedule thing and ran some decent marathon times, but then my orthpod (and wife) banned me from marathons and ultras. While I was out of commission after knee surgery, I started a food log so I wouldn't get too fat. Much to my surprise, I quickly lost 20 pounds. I really didn't think I had 20 pounds to lose. When I finally could return to running, I found I was much faster at my new weight, even without significant quality training. I PR'd pretty much every time I toed the line in 2013.

I used to only run and did about 3k miles per year. Now I mix it up with pool and lake swimming and some biking, and cut way back on the running in the hopes of keeping my knees healthy. My only real plans at this point are to get my weight back down over then next month or two, and enjoy the trail racing season when it starts in the spring.

2014-01-17 7:34 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Hit a 100 for the month tonight.  I think this is the most I've ever run in my life. 

2014-01-18 2:56 PM

User image

Hit a 100 for the month tonight.  I think this is the most I've ever run in my life. 

Nice, it'll improve your running a lot.

I got 17.3 cold blustery miles in today. The run put me over 200 for the month.
2014-01-18 8:12 PM

User image

I'll keep at it but at less of a pace for now. Really starting to feel a lot of knee/leg/hip problems creeping in, and I don't like it one bit. Feeling discouraged to tell you the truth.
2014-01-18 8:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Edited by PsyTri 2014-01-18 8:13 PM
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » January 100 Mile Run Challenge! Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Resolution Run January 2012 Run Challenge Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by van_paulus
Views: 18321 Posts: 262

2012-02-02 10:11 PM van_paulus

Swim Challenge - 100 Miles! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by benihana
Views: 13639 Posts: 51

2014-01-06 1:56 PM midwesttrimom

January - Swim + Run Challenge? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by CalgaryRunner
Views: 8223 Posts: 84

2007-02-06 12:44 AM CalgaryRunner

July 100+ Running Challenge! Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by Daremo
Views: 10497 Posts: 102

2006-08-02 7:36 AM Daremo

The 100+ mile club - July running studs/studettes ..... Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Daremo
Views: 10914 Posts: 84

2006-07-19 7:38 PM celena
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 15, 2013
author : JeffY
comments : 0
JeffY reviews this rear water bottle carrier on a variety of saddles.

date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...