Other Resources The Political Joe » Break up the big banks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-08 9:15 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: Break up the big banks
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/politics/jpmorgan-chase-regulators-pr...

It will never happen, but it clearly should. Some of the crimes they've been charged with are quite serious in my opinion. For instance assisting in drug cartel money laundering and market manipulation (LIBOR, FOREX, Energy, Mortgage market). They make billions of dollars, pay a small percentage in fines, and then keep on doing whatever they want.

2014-01-08 10:04 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Break up the big banks

Josh - let it go......buy some stocks and enjoy the ride.

2014-01-08 10:57 AM
in reply to: 0

I sometimes wonder though—who would this really hurt, to strip these banks of their licenses? The wealthy execs who masterminded these schemes? Or the thousands of people who had nothing to do with it, and will end up losing their jobs over it? That’s the sad reality of it, frankly. Unless the bank personnel responsible for the crimes do jail time, taking away these banks’ licenses will do little more than hurt our economy further, and increase unemployment .It will have global ramifications, as well. Just my $.02.

Edited by SGirl 2014-01-08 10:58 AM
2014-01-08 11:14 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by Left Brain

If others can complain about their 2nd amendment rights being taken away, I can complain about the government being bought and paid for. Until I get my land out away from all you people that is.
2014-01-08 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Worse the big banks are saying I can not bring my guns into to branches. Big banks are taking away my 2nd amendment rights.
2014-01-08 12:38 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR

If others can complain about their 2nd amendment rights being taken away, I can complain about the government being bought and paid for. Until I get my land out away from all you people that is.

I'm going to beat you to it.   

6 more years and "get off my property" will be all most people ever hear me say. LMAO

2014-01-08 12:39 PM

User image

Wait a second.....

Top executives at JP Morgan conspired in and were party to one of the largest if not the largest Wall Street frauds ever which financially affected every single individual that owned a share of stock in a company and where many individuals were defrauded millions. And not only did not one of them spend one day in jail or spend one minute with cuffs on, the innocent JP Morgan shareholder who knew nothing about this illegal activity got stiffed with a $1.7 billion bill.

What a country we live in!!!

Edited by Jackemy1 2014-01-08 12:42 PM
2014-01-08 12:57 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jackemy1 Wait a second..... Top executives at JP Morgan conspired in and were party to one of the largest if not the largest Wall Street frauds ever which financially affected every single individual that owned a share of stock in a company and where many individuals were defrauded millions. And not only did not one of them spend one day in jail or spend one minute with cuffs on, the innocent JP Morgan shareholder who knew nothing about this illegal activity got stiffed with a $1.7 billion bill. What a country we live in!!!

I don't want them in jail, we need the space for violent offenders.  However, I would be OK with them having to put 70-80% of their earnings, for the rest of their life, into a fund to pay back investors.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-08 12:58 PM
2014-01-08 1:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jackemy1 Wait a second..... Top executives at JP Morgan conspired in and were party to one of the largest if not the largest Wall Street frauds ever which financially affected every single individual that owned a share of stock in a company and where many individuals were defrauded millions. And not only did not one of them spend one day in jail or spend one minute with cuffs on, the innocent JP Morgan shareholder who knew nothing about this illegal activity got stiffed with a $1.7 billion bill. What a country we live in!!!

I don't want them in jail, we need the space for violent offenders.  However, I would be OK with them having to put 70-80% of their earnings, for the rest of their life, into a fund to pay back investors.

They can probably pay all back by rounding down their golden parachute.
2014-01-08 1:06 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jackemy1

Whatever it takes, I'm fine with it......prison doesn't do anything for the victims.

2014-01-08 1:09 PM

User image

I'm going to beat you to it.   

6 more years and "get off my property" will be all most people ever hear me say. LMAO

My role models.

2014-01-08 1:30 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

Wait a second.....

Top executives at JP Morgan conspired in and were party to one of the largest if not the largest Wall Street frauds ever which financially affected every single individual that owned a share of stock in a company and where many individuals were defrauded millions. And not only did not one of them spend one day in jail or spend one minute with cuffs on, the innocent JP Morgan shareholder who knew nothing about this illegal activity got stiffed with a $1.7 billion bill.

I'm sure you're aware but it's far more than just the recent Madoff settlement. I believe in the last few years JPM has paid over $20B in fines to settle cases. But of course they're just "doing God's work".
2014-01-08 1:31 PM

User image

Whatever it takes, I'm fine with it......prison doesn't do anything for the victims.

Prison never does...just ask ask any murder victim. But until we figure out another way to pay for your wrong doings other that giving up you freedom, I have to disagree with you that these executive shouldn't spend some time in prison.

2014-01-08 1:41 PM

User image

Pro

Prison never does...just ask ask any murder victim. But until we figure out another way to pay for your wrong doings other that giving up you freedom, I have to disagree with you that these executive shouldn't spend some time in prison.

I disagree.....prison can, and should,  keep violent offenders away from their victims and gives them some peace of mind while the offender is locked up. (permanently if I were king)  Murder makes up a very small percentage of violent crime. 

I just gave you an alternative to locking up these people and taking up needed prison space......you sanction every dollar they will ever make in their life.  They are on the hook to the govt. and the people they defrauded for as long as it takes to pay back the losses and penalties.  Leave them enough money to live at the poverty level.

2014-01-08 1:42 PM

User image

Wait a second.....

I'm sure you're aware but it's far more than just the recent Madoff settlement. I believe in the last few years JPM has paid over $20B in fines to settle cases. But of course they're just "doing God's work".

Actually, I was not aware. $20 billion? I just don't know what to say to that other than it gives further evidence as to why the only two things I invest in is real estate I manage and buy-ins at the poker table.

The stock market is a crooked game.
2014-01-08 1:49 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

Wait a second.....

Actually, I was not aware. $20 billion? I just don't know what to say to that other than it gives further evidence as to why the only two things I invest in is real estate I manage and buy-ins at the poker table.

The stock market is a crooked game.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I was trying to keep track of it, but I gave up because the frequency was too much.

2014-01-08 2:03 PM

User image

I disagree.....prison can, and should,  keep violent offenders away from their victims and gives them some peace of mind while the offender is locked up. (permanently if I were king)  Murder makes up a very small percentage of violent crime. 

I just gave you an alternative to locking up these people and taking up needed prison space......you sanction every dollar they will ever make in their life.  They are on the hook to the govt. and the people they defrauded for as long as it takes to pay back the losses and penalties.  Leave them enough money to live at the poverty level.

The other alternative is shooting them......

I seem to often hear of white collar crime victims committing suicide after they lost everything....that is not much different than pulling the trigger in a common corner liquor store robbery gone bad.

So prison has no other purpose than to prevent a criminal from committing a crime? I am not an expert in criminal justice but I think paying your debt to society still applies as something society agrees to equate to justice.

How are fines and penalties an appropriate deterrent to white collar crime? Smart business people who have figured out these grand schemes are not scared of fines and government sanction because they can always figure out a way to beat the system. But, they are scare of prisons because even the smart business people can never figure out a way to make up for lost time.
2014-01-08 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
depends on the fine but if I make 20b and get fined 2b guess what? I will do it again and again. Still profitable right? If I am a corporation that is ALL that maters.
2014-01-08 2:23 PM

User image

Pro

The other alternative is shooting them...... I seem to often hear of white collar crime victims committing suicide after they lost everything....that is not much different than pulling the trigger in a common corner liquor store robbery gone bad. So prison has no other purpose than to prevent a criminal from committing a crime? I am not an expert in criminal justice but I think paying your debt to society still applies as something society agrees to equate to justice. How are fines and penalties an appropriate deterrent to white collar crime? Smart business people who have figured out these grand schemes are not scared of fines and government sanction because they can always figure out a way to beat the system. But, they are scare of prisons because even the smart business people can never figure out a way to make up for lost time.

I've interviewed thousands of crime victims.....do you iknow what the victims of financial scams want?  They want their friggin money back!!  They don't give a rats arse about paying a "debt to society", they want THEIR debts paid and they want to go on with their lives.  Locking up the perpetrators of these scams will only ensure that they will never have to pay back their victims. 

On the other hand.....I don't care if we shoot them....that works fine too.

2014-01-08 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
I could probably post all of this once a day and still not keep up.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-08/here-next-wall-street-crac...
2014-01-09 7:38 AM

User image

The other alternative is shooting them...... I seem to often hear of white collar crime victims committing suicide after they lost everything....that is not much different than pulling the trigger in a common corner liquor store robbery gone bad. So prison has no other purpose than to prevent a criminal from committing a crime? I am not an expert in criminal justice but I think paying your debt to society still applies as something society agrees to equate to justice. How are fines and penalties an appropriate deterrent to white collar crime? Smart business people who have figured out these grand schemes are not scared of fines and government sanction because they can always figure out a way to beat the system. But, they are scare of prisons because even the smart business people can never figure out a way to make up for lost time.

I've interviewed thousands of crime victims.....do you iknow what the victims of financial scams want?  They want their friggin money back!!  They don't give a rats arse about paying a "debt to society", they want THEIR debts paid and they want to go on with their lives.  Locking up the perpetrators of these scams will only ensure that they will never have to pay back their victims. 

i am not going to question your observations from you experience within the justice system because I have zero interviews of crime victims under my belt.

However, I have a lifetime of experience in being one of the citizens that the justice system which you are a part of serves. And one of the things I expect from the justice system when it comes to white collar crime is to preserve the integrity of the markets. From my citizen perspective, the justice system has created two different and unfair playing fields. One for connected Wall Street type executives one and one for the common folk. When us common folk continually see examples that the system you work in gives a special set of rules for the connected that we don't have, that weakens the integrity of the markets and threatens the very foundation of the economy. Who is going to participate in a market rigged against them? I am not criticizing you directly but your comments reinforces the attitude of the entire justice system that has been stuck to long in the weeds and has forgotten its role as a civil institution.

Your victim may want their money back, but the citizens demand a hanging. Without it, you further lose our trust.

Edited by Jackemy1 2014-01-09 7:41 AM

2014-01-09 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Actually, I was not aware. $20 billion? I just don't know what to say to that other than it gives further evidence as to why the only two things I invest in is real estate I manage and buy-ins at the poker table. The stock market is a crooked game.

But where did that 20b go?  To the victims?  I think not.  Into the Govt.  which is arguably just as corrupt.

2014-01-09 10:39 AM

User image

Pro

i am not going to question your observations from you experience within the justice system because I have zero interviews of crime victims under my belt. However, I have a lifetime of experience in being one of the citizens that the justice system which you are a part of serves. And one of the things I expect from the justice system when it comes to white collar crime is to preserve the integrity of the markets. From my citizen perspective, the justice system has created two different and unfair playing fields. One for connected Wall Street type executives one and one for the common folk. When us common folk continually see examples that the system you work in gives a special set of rules for the connected that we don't have, that weakens the integrity of the markets and threatens the very foundation of the economy. Who is going to participate in a market rigged against them? I am not criticizing you directly but your comments reinforces the attitude of the entire justice system that has been stuck to long in the weeds and has forgotten its role as a civil institution. Your victim may want their money back, but the citizens demand a hanging. Without it, you further lose our trust.

The justice system protects victims and suspects/perpetrators.(as best it can and, while not perfect, it is still considered the model for the world)  The citizens don't get to decide who hangs.  You don't have to like it, and I don't either sometimes, but I understand why it has to be that way.  The justice system has not forgotten it's role, you just think you should have more of a say in it than what your vote gets you.......you don't.  It has to be that way to maintain ANY integrity, and it most certainly should always error on the side of leniency IMO.

Don't worry about me taking the criticism personally......I don't get my feelings hurt, I don't get offended, and I enjoiy hearing other viewpoints.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-09 10:40 AM
2014-01-09 12:33 PM

User image

Pro

Also, Jack......don't confuse the Judicial System and the Criminal Justice System.

2014-01-09 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Also, Jack......don't confuse the Judicial System and the Criminal Justice System.

EXACTLY! 

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Break up the big banks Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.