General Discussion Triathlon Talk » keeping data all in one place Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-10 8:20 AM

User image

New user
Subject: keeping data all in one place
This year will be the first time I'm gathering workout data. For a few weeks now, I've been training with TrainerRoad on the bike and swimming with the Garmin Swim watch. Starting this week I'll be running with my Garmin 310xt and plan to start training run by HR for the first time this year.

So, my bike data is all on TrainerRoad, my swim data is on Garmin connect, and when I start running and riding outside my run and some of my bike data will be on Garmin connect too.

I've played around on the Garmin site and here on BT and see that there are ways to manually upload workouts, but that seems tedious (export the workout, save the file, upload, edit profile, for every workout one at a time).

For those of you who keep logs all in one place, what do you use and how do you do it? Do you upload directly from your devices to sites like BT or Strava or Garmin? Do you save data to multiple sites then transfer, in bulk or individually? Any feedback involving TrainerRoad is especially appreciated, because even after I'm able to get outside on the bike I'll still be doing 2/3 to 3/4 of my weekly riding inside.

Thanks.

2014-02-10 8:49 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: keeping data all in one place

I keep all my data both here on BT and on a custom Excel spreadsheet that I designed and have modified over the years.  Been logging since 2004.

I really don't think the manual data entry here on BT is that tedious and I like the improvements that were made during the last site upgrades. 

It takes me about five minutes to enter my data after I finish a workout; it gives me something to do while I'm cooling down and lets me add comments or notes while things are still fresh in my mind. 

Logging two different places is a bit redundant, but it does give me a backup if something catastrophic would happen to one or the other.  I'd hate to lose ten years of data.

Mark

2014-02-10 9:04 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I just manually put all my data here on BT and I have almost 10 years of Data at this point.  I Don't use any devices to up load from.  Its really not that hard to click on add a work out and put in how far you went and how long it took.  Its probably easier than uploading files saving etc.  I am kind of low tech tho.  I fight with technology all day at work and have a fuss factor of about a nanosecond for things that don't work well.  I can have it all inputted by the time the dumb device decides to work for me.

I find great value in having it all on here, esp when I am in a big build for IM because I can go back and look at other years and what I did in prep and where I am comparitively.

2014-02-10 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4947030

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I've been using TrainingPeaks for exactly this reason for years.
2014-02-10 9:43 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
how ironic that I was just saying that Marc should get this information out there-
he did a very nice review in our Power Thread about TP, GC, Raceday
it's about half way down page 46

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2014-02-10 9:59 AM

User image

I have garmin bike computers and garmin 310 watch. I keep my stuff locally, on BT and on Garmin Connect. I figure if one or two of those goes to hell I'll still have the others.

From Garmins all those can be directly downloaded and not have to do the manual thing.

2014-02-10 10:12 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

New user
Originally posted by audiojan

I've been using TrainingPeaks for exactly this reason for years.

Thanks, I'll look into it. Do you use TrainerRoad? I guess my question is if you can do a bulk transfer or bulk download from TR. Their customer service is great so I'm sure if the question isn't addressed on the website and I email them they'll respond quickly, but curious if that's what you do too.
2014-02-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

New user
Originally posted by dtoce

how ironic that I was just saying that Marc should get this information out there-
he did a very nice review in our Power Thread about TP, GC, Raceday
it's about half way down page 46

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Thanks I'll check it out. Is that the power mentor group? I was in that group at the start but backed out because I was in the last few weeks of marathon training when it was getting started and didn't start cycling again until third week of January or so. I've been meaning to get back into that thread to read it through.
2014-02-10 10:44 AM

Custom Excel sheet that I enter my info in. I still have data for TrainerRoad and my Nike running watch on those respective sites but I just manually log them in my sheet once I finish a workout.
2014-02-10 5:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I use Garmin Connect for everything.

You can manually add workouts you do without the Garmin, or upload from other GPS data.

I know lots of people use the logs here, but there are some glitches I don't like (including lack of metric support on the mobile app).

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-02-10 5:17 PM
2014-02-10 5:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I use BT for general logging and keeping track of workout notes.  I find that it works well for general overview stuff considering it's free.  I use WKO+ and Strava (premium) for more detailed power and HR analysis.

I've been lazy with uploading to BT this year since I'm only riding, and Strava takes care of everything I need.

Edited by Jason N 2014-02-10 5:51 PM

2014-02-10 6:30 PM

User image

Pro

I've totally failed.

I use Daily Mile for the social aspect of logging training.

I use Beginner Triathlete for the comprehensive logs and charts, tracking shoe mileage and such.

I use Strava because... well, do I really need to justify Strava?

I use Golden Cheetah for my power analysis, TSS, CTL, ATL, SB, etc

I use Garmin Connect since it where I've always uploaded my Garmin stuff.

I use MovesCount- 'cause I recently got a Suunto, and I'm finding it a better site than Garmin Connect (except I have such a history over on Garmin, I'm still cross loading workouts)

And then people tell me I should use Training Peaks.  aaaarrrghh!  

2014-02-10 7:12 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Since it sounds like you are using some sort of Garmin device to collect data and upload it to Garmin Connect for your outdoor rides, you can just enable the "Trainer Relay" option in Trainer Road (under the devices tab) and trainer road will broadcast all of your data to your head unit - it shows up as a power meter. Then you can just upload all of your rides (both indoor and out) to Garmin Connect directly from your head unit and not futz around with trainer road at all. Then everything is in one place: Garmin Connect.

FWIW I don't use Garmin Connect: I use training peaks as well. I use Trainer Road to drive a Kickr, but I don't collect data from the Kick/trainer road itself- instead I use my on-board powermeter for that. Then use the Device Upload function on BT to import Training Peaks data here.
2014-02-11 7:45 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-02-21 3:11 AM
in reply to: tkos

, Arhus Amt
Im using my own website www.SportSymphony.com (danish / english) to store all my sports data.
(running, swimming, and weight training)

It can be used in most sports - example 2 shows how it can be used in triathlon.
2014-02-21 6:30 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I keep all my data both here on BT and on a custom Excel spreadsheet that I designed and have modified over the years.  Been logging since 2004.

I really don't think the manual data entry here on BT is that tedious and I like the improvements that were made during the last site upgrades. 

It takes me about five minutes to enter my data after I finish a workout; it gives me something to do while I'm cooling down and lets me add comments or notes while things are still fresh in my mind. 

Logging two different places is a bit redundant, but it does give me a backup if something catastrophic would happen to one or the other.  I'd hate to lose ten years of data.

Mark

X2. I also use Garmin connect to get extra data from my spreadsheet.

2014-02-21 6:44 AM
in reply to: nickster

If you use strava and garmin connect or a bunch of other sites there are options to automaticly sync them.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/automatically-training-fitness.h...
2014-02-21 5:03 PM

Master
Dump everything to Strava. Strava isn't good for totals, but if you head over to veloviewer.com (free) it has absolutely superb output of all your Strava inputs. No idea why they haven't bought him out and hired him yet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » keeping data all in one place Rss Feed