Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How much can you spend w/out discussing with your spouse? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-03-26 10:45 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: How much can you spend w/out discussing with your spouse?

Originally posted by lisac957 

So very true!

I know some couples who have a $20 limit on purchases and anything more requires discussion. But they are either very financially strapped, or choosing to live frugally for other reasons (saving for kids college, house down payment, vacation, emergency, etc.).

Does anyone still do the "envelope" cash system? (cash out paycheck, divvy into categorized envelopes, only can spend what's in there - no plastic). My parents did that when I was growing up. I guess I do the electronic version of it with an excruciatingly detailed budget - but I don't have a problem with overspending on plastic. 

We have more of an electronic envelope system. Different accounts in different banks have differing purposes. Operating expenses, savings, taxes/IRS, Health care, etc.

2014-03-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by Left Brain

If you have more than one kid you can split that too.  

I take care of triathlon expenses, she takes care of horse expenses. (our kid's different priority activity)  I don't know how much a horse costs, or how much it costs to keep one, but I know my wife doesn't buy as many shoes as she used to.  LOL

"my" kid would be spoiled!  Actually both would be...

I have a plan - tell me if it sounds reasonable or a pipe dream.  I was planning to buy my kids just about anything athletic they wanted.  Bikes, sports equipment, golf clubs, snow gear, etc...  I'll send them to camps and put them on teams - If it gets them outside and active.  It's theirs with little question.  If they want video games or TV's or other "sit on your butt" type of stuff?  Maybe as a Christmas present, but much more rare of an occurrence.

I guess that depends if they stick to it or just use it for a hot second then move on to the next thing.

what if your kid is a really talented singer or pianist or painter?  i catch myself often reminding my husband how different we are from our parents, and you have NO CLUE what your kids are going to be like whenever they come along.  he just wants to have a catch with his son...what if he hates baseball!!???

Edited by mehaner 2014-03-26 10:52 AM
2014-03-26 10:52 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Up to about $200, which is two pairs of running shoes for me.
2014-03-26 10:59 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

I take care of triathlon expenses, she takes care of horse expenses. (our kid's different priority activity)  I don't know how much a horse costs, or how much it costs to keep one, but I know my wife doesn't buy as many shoes as she used to.  LOL

I have a plan - tell me if it sounds reasonable or a pipe dream.  I was planning to buy my kids just about anything athletic they wanted.  Bikes, sports equipment, golf clubs, snow gear, etc...  I'll send them to camps and put them on teams - If it gets them outside and active.  It's theirs with little question.  If they want video games or TV's or other "sit on your butt" type of stuff?  Maybe as a Christmas present, but much more rare of an occurrence.

I guess that depends if they stick to it or just use it for a hot second then move on to the next thing.

what if your kid is a really talented singer or pianist or painter?  i catch myself often reminding my husband how different we are from our parents, and you have NO CLUE what your kids are going to be like whenever they come along.  he just wants to have a catch with his son...what if he hates baseball!!???

Funny!!  That's ALL I wanted too because I grew up playing ball.......my son was terrible at it, and hated it....and I've been shelling money out for triathlon ever since. LOL

Baseball sure would have been cheaper.

2014-03-26 11:00 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

We discuss anything more than $50.  My wife is a stay at home mom, for now.  When she returns to the workforce, we will probably still keep that threshold.  As stated many time before, respect your spouse.  We both have things we like and we just talk and plan and budget.

2014-03-26 11:01 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

OK, I'll redefine.  If it encourages a talent and NOT a "sit on your butt" thing?  I'll support it.  That's the message I was trying to send.  It could very well be dance if they take after their mom.  So I'll spring for the outfits and classes without much issue.  A PS 100 (or whatever they will be up to by then?) not as likely.  Or they can play with me on mine!

Also, your question doesn't really have validity.  If he "hates" baseball, he's/she's not going to ask for a glove, would he/she?  I'm not going to buy stuff to make them do things.  I'm just saying that if they ask for something to pursue an activity other than sitting on their can?  I'll support it.

Edited by Kido 2014-03-26 11:03 AM

2014-03-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Funny!!  That's ALL I wanted too because I grew up playing ball.......my son was terrible at it, and hated it....and I've been shelling money out for triathlon ever since. LOL

Right...  Hockey may be the only thing that could beat triathlon in cost...

2014-03-26 11:02 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Regular
Madrid
Kind of a funny story. We usually talk about everything and usually even pretty much agree or defer with no issues. One day (over the course of a few weeks) I had been looking at houses to buy over the internet. I saw one I really liked, knew and was comfortable with the area, and pretty much liked everything about it. I put a real low bid in and surprise surprise surprise the seller accepted. Went home and was wondering hmmm how do I tell my wife I bought a house today. All in she took it pretty well I think.
2014-03-26 11:04 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Madrid

Not sure about that. Have you seen how much a good bat and glove costs these days ?
2014-03-26 11:06 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by gr33n Kind of a funny story. We usually talk about everything and usually even pretty much agree or defer with no issues. One day (over the course of a few weeks) I had been looking at houses to buy over the internet. I saw one I really liked, knew and was comfortable with the area, and pretty much liked everything about it. I put a real low bid in and surprise surprise surprise the seller accepted. Went home and was wondering hmmm how do I tell my wife I bought a house today. All in she took it pretty well I think.

That's amazing.

2014-03-26 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by gr33n Kind of a funny story. We usually talk about everything and usually even pretty much agree or defer with no issues. One day (over the course of a few weeks) I had been looking at houses to buy over the internet. I saw one I really liked, knew and was comfortable with the area, and pretty much liked everything about it. I put a real low bid in and surprise surprise surprise the seller accepted. Went home and was wondering hmmm how do I tell my wife I bought a house today. All in she took it pretty well I think.

i would have a huge issue with that - not even because of the money amount, but because you are stuck LIVING IN that purchase.  if he buys a jetski, whatever, doesn't affect me, but a HOUSEEEEE????????  you crazy!

2014-03-26 11:09 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n

Not sure about that. Have you seen how much a good bat and glove costs these days ?

Trust me on this....compared to triathlon at the level he is,  baseball would be posket change.

2014-03-26 11:10 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Queen BTich

OK, I'll redefine.  If it encourages a talent and NOT a "sit on your butt" thing?  I'll support it.  That's the message I was trying to send.  It could very well be dance if they take after their mom.  So I'll spring for the outfits and classes without much issue.  A PS 100 (or whatever they will be up to by then?) not as likely.  Or they can play with me on mine!

Also, your question doesn't really have validity.  If he "hates" baseball, he's/she's not going to ask for a glove, would he/she?  I'm not going to buy stuff to make them do things.  I'm just saying that if they ask for something to pursue an activity other than sitting on their can?  I'll support it.

I totally get what you're saying. Growing up, we were a one income family. Had anything we needed, but not excessive. For our sports and hobbies, we got it. Gloves, bats, multiple shoes, etc. They didn't bat an eye. Electronics and "fun" clothes out of the norm were saved for birthday or Christmas, maybe. But spending several hundred on a random day before All Stars or travel baseball? Not an issue. Kept us healthy, active, goals, all that jazz.
2014-03-26 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

i would have a huge issue with that - not even because of the money amount, but because you are stuck LIVING IN that purchase.  if he buys a jetski, whatever, doesn't affect me, but a HOUSEEEEE????????  you crazy!

No we don't live in. At least not for now. Since 'we' bought it its been rented out...
2014-03-26 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

No we don't live in. At least not for now. Since 'we' bought it its been rented out...

OK that makes more sense.... 

2014-03-26 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

A few months later we did fly over to have a look at it. As for how sometimes pictures either make something look better than it is or don't do it justice, fortunately in this case it was way nicer than it even looked in the pictures. She ended up being quite pleased. Maybe a different topic but maybe I should add as we all have different strengths and weaknesses hers probably isn't so called vision or risk taking. She's more of a details person.

2014-03-26 11:27 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yeah, I was going to say...

Same thing goes for cars, to be honest.  Those Christmas car commercials?  When a new Lexus is sitting out front with a big bow on it?  They make me uneasy.  NO WAY am I buying a car for my wife as a "gift" without knowing exactly what she wants.  I guess I play out the story in my head that they actually talked and knew exactly what they wanted and it was just a surprise (yes, I know it's just paid actors and not real). 

I can't imagine getting a car without discussing likes and dislikes and needs and monthly payments.  Most likely, you will have it for 10 years?  My two current cars are a 2003 and 2004.  But again, I guess it's your "situation" that may permit that.

2014-03-26 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

After going through the financial turmoil that my ex put me in and having to dig myself out of that mess, I will mention any small purchases I'm going to make (outside of groceries) up to about $100.  Anything more than that and we'll have a discussion about it, but it usually comes down to "if we can afford it and all the bills etc. are taken care of, then go ahead".  

While we have separate chequing accounts (he pays for some household bills, I pay for others), we also have a joint savings account - something that I said I would never, EVER do again due to the aforementioned turmoil - but we had to due to my immigration.  Having said that, I'm happy with the way things are set up right now and wouldn't change it.  

To me, it comes down to respecting your partner and relationship, and finding out what will work best for the two of you.  

2014-03-26 12:17 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

No set dollar amount. I don't think I need to discuss any purchase with my spouse first regardless of dollar value, but I would want to discuss most purchases with my spouse. I guess it has never come up and never been an issue for us.

Some factors to consider though is that we both make good money, we have no children, we live in an apartment, so we don't have much unbudgeted house spending, our cars are old and only get driven on average once a month or once a week, and we hardly buy anything.

Edited by jeng 2014-03-26 12:36 PM
2014-03-26 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
I just bought a tri bike. 3k. I told him I was thinking about buying one. He saw me researching bikes many-a-time online. Few weeks later I bought one. I honestly did not know I was going to make a purchase that day. He has no idea what I paid and didn't ask and I didn't tell.

Edited by EV3110 2014-03-26 12:20 PM
2014-03-26 1:04 PM
in reply to: EV3110

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

It all depends.

Will the purchase jeopardize payment of other bills?  If so, whether it's $2 or $2000, it should be discussed.  

Are there other ramifications to the purchase?  Maybe it isn't an issue buying a $8000 jetski without consultation, but then there are practical impacts like where wil it be stored and insured.  As another example, would you take in a "free" animal (kitten, puppy) without consulting your partner?  

Some people (like me) don't spend a lot of money on latte's or daily "luxuries" but want to drop $600+ on a race.  Others spend small amounts continuously.  

Does the expense condone other behavior? I was at a small group meeting and one of the ladies talked about slipping their daughter $50 for gas as the daughter prepared to leave from the holidays.  Did the husband and wife miss the $50?  Doubtful.  But...what if he'd already given the child $50? What if the child did the "shakedown" and he declined to pay for part of the trip?  

2014-03-26 1:22 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Champion
Chicago
I do what I want!!!
2014-03-26 1:23 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

After going through the financial turmoil that my ex put me in and having to dig myself out of that mess, I will mention any small purchases I'm going to make (outside of groceries) up to about $100.  Anything more than that and we'll have a discussion about it, but it usually comes down to "if we can afford it and all the bills etc. are taken care of, then go ahead".  

While we have separate chequing accounts (he pays for some household bills, I pay for others), we also have a joint savings account - something that I said I would never, EVER do again due to the aforementioned turmoil - but we had to due to my immigration.  Having said that, I'm happy with the way things are set up right now and wouldn't change it.  

To me, it comes down to respecting your partner and relationship, and finding out what will work best for the two of you.  

I mean, yeah, this ... is what I meant.
2014-03-26 1:26 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Sensei
Sin City

If it's a gift for her, no limit.  If it's a gift for myself, about 10 bucks...

Ba dump dump...   cliché joke...

2014-03-26 1:58 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Extreme Veteran
My wife generally will spend up to 200-300 hundred and give me a heads up (usually shopping for household or project stuff - she is a HUGE arts and crafts person and has made better presents for our nieces and nephews than most kids will even see, but that can get expensive with all the different materials she uses.). Those are not really an issue. If I am getting something I usually ask her if it is more than $50 bucks but that is simply because I get huge buyers remorse on almost anything I buy (it is getting better though!) so that is more of a personal issue.

Our finances are in good shape and we manage to save a good amount each month currently so it is never a big worry for us however we do each have a separate checking accounts and then a joint checking/savings for all the household bills and expenses. It is really nice with electronic deposits these days because we just tell our employers what percentage of our checks we want to go to each account and it is done automatically. I could not tell you how much she has in her personal account though and she could not tell you how much I have in mine. those are used for our fun purchases and buying presents for each other.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How much can you spend w/out discussing with your spouse? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Do you discuss things with CoJ that you wouldn't discuss with your significant other?

Started by KenD
Views: 1332 Posts: 15

2009-04-08 10:02 AM BHannahs

bottles and cans, just clap your hands

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 1209 Posts: 14

2008-08-06 4:54 PM JoshR

Anyone out there do any canning?

Started by madkat
Views: 1528 Posts: 22

2008-08-02 4:03 PM bootygirl

Ms. Nevada canned by Trump Pages: 1 2