of 3

2014-04-28 8:13 PM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Do You Like Running
Love it!

It is the only part of triathlon that I do with any level of proficiency.

I have been contemplating giving up tri and running only to see what I could do if I spent ten hours per week on only one sport.....

2014-04-28 9:01 PM

User image

Master
I mostly love how I feel after running, and sometimes even a full marathon can feel GREAT (no out of the ordinary pain and no potty issues). That feeling of accomplishment, that my body is an amazing machine. Then sometimes it feels like poo and I question my life decisions. I'd say I pretty much like it.
2014-04-28 11:29 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I love swimming

I love cycling

I love running

I love them equally. I honestly cannot pick a favorite.

I hate transition! I feel like a bumbling fool. My transitions stink.
2014-04-29 3:23 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Love running (obviously, from username and staying in the sport for nearly 35 years), but it's a long-term relationship. Like a long marriage, not every day is a walk in the park. Some runs one does, to quote others, just feel like poo. Other runs are magical. Most are pleasantly invigorating--it's been a constant, reassuring, positive presence in my life, like a loving spouse would be. That doesn't mean every day is amazing, and we never have our fights and even temporary separations. (But I haven't ever left it voluntarily for an affair with my bike!)

Like swimming. Always have (actually learned to swim before I learned to walk). As an adult I find it's great for not only fitness but relaxing and decompressing, maybe because I have a job filled with demanding little people. Can't talk to me now, my head's underwater!

Biking.....meh. I enjoy bike touring at my own leisurely pace with plenty of stops for photos, picnics, and wine tasting. I treat all hills as personal insults and love to conquer them. But training and racing....only because it's a necessary evil that comes between the swim and the run in a triathlon!
2014-04-29 8:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

New user
Key West
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Love running (obviously, from username and staying in the sport for nearly 35 years), but it's a long-term relationship. Like a long marriage, not every day is a walk in the park. Some runs one does, to quote others, just feel like poo. Other runs are magical. Most are pleasantly invigorating--it's been a constant, reassuring, positive presence in my life, like a loving spouse would be. That doesn't mean every day is amazing, and we never have our fights and even temporary separations. (But I haven't ever left it voluntarily for an affair with my bike!)

Like swimming. Always have (actually learned to swim before I learned to walk). As an adult I find it's great for not only fitness but relaxing and decompressing, maybe because I have a job filled with demanding little people. Can't talk to me now, my head's underwater!

Biking.....meh. I enjoy bike touring at my own leisurely pace with plenty of stops for photos, picnics, and wine tasting. I treat all hills as personal insults and love to conquer them. But training and racing....only because it's a necessary evil that comes between the swim and the run in a triathlon!

^^^^This. I've been running for 33+ years, but when I started it was NOT fun, it was painful. But as my conditioning approved, it became more automatic, which gave me the ability to get into the "zone." Same holds true for swimming, been a fish since I was small.
2014-04-29 9:58 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Veteran
whether I like running depends on the location and the year. I LOVE trail running. when in San Diego, I would run lots of miles every day on the trails. in flat land boring terrain - I'm not such a fan.

I heard a great quote from a collegiate runner, "running isn't fun, it hurts" and yet she had just set a PR in the mile and won the championship.

2014-04-29 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I used to hate running, I mean despise it but now its my favorite and the one I do the most and have seen the most improvement on!
2014-04-29 12:31 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
If ever a thread needed a poll!

Yes I like running. Even on the same old boring routes I can listen to my body. My best daydreaming is done running and I know the city I live in inside out!
2014-04-29 12:53 PM

User image

Austin

I don't enjoy running if its 3 miles or under. I really only start to like running at about a 6 mile run and that lasts usually until about mile 20 when I am getting over it and realize I have spend so much of my day running.

I do love being on my bike, and if its an OWS I love it, if its laps in the pool please just kill me.

For me it would be

Bike

OWS

Run

Pool laps.

2014-04-29 1:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
I used to hate running. A LOT!!! But, I am amazed to say that I do like it now.

I hadn't run since high school, and then only incidental to other sports, and never voluntarily. Then, at the age of 44, and 30# overweight, I decided I was going to do a Sprint tri in a year. I figured I grew up at the pool daily, but never swam competitively, so I could handle the swim ok. (It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to swim for distance) I figured I could ride slowly if need be, so the bike portion didn't scare me. The run scared me a lot. On the advice of my best friend who is a sports medicine doc, I started the c25k program. The first day I literally thought the first 1 minute jog was going to kill me, and almost gave up right then. Well, I ended up doing a sprint in 8 months, and two more within that year goal.

I was a heel striker, in cheap shoes that I thought were ok for running. I pulled both calf muscles along the way, the left one pretty badly. PT helped get me back on track, as did the good people here on BT, and having someone look at my stride, and taking a Good Form Running class, and studying running form via the internet. I started back slowly, and built up the mileage gradually. I had many aches and pains along the way, but I got better, too.

My uncle started running about the same time, and we ran 8 5k races together last year. They were actually fun!

Last Sunday, I ran my first ever Half Marathon!!! I still can't believe I ran 100% of the route (well, technically, per my GPS, I ran 101% of the route because I ran an extra .22 miles by not sticking to the inside of the many turns :-D ), and finished with a time of 2:10:36.

So, yeah, I'd have to say that I like running now.

Edited by DannyII 2014-04-29 1:52 PM
2014-04-29 7:06 PM

User image

Lifetime runner. Guess you could say I like it. I think it is one of the "life sports" that you can do, well, for the rest of your life. I think it has kept me in good shape for a person of my age, and hope to continue to do so. Swimming is similar but I don't know of any other sport that keeps your weight down as well as cardio up.

So like/dislike: not as important as developing a good life-time habit.

Downside: structural damage from lots of pounding. Bones, connective tissue, muscles, etc.

Upside: overall lifetime fitness, really good bang for the buck.

Conclusion: Yeah sure I like it.

2014-04-29 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I've been running since 1973. I still love it.
2014-04-29 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I love swimming
I tolerate biking
I love running

The only reason I only "tolerate" biking is because everybody's so much faster than me at it. Of the 3 sports, it's taken me the longest to progress at. However I did my first ultra this weekend and around mile 42 thought for a second that I hated running!
2014-04-30 9:30 AM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Austin

Originally posted by DannyII I used to hate running. A LOT!!! But, I am amazed to say that I do like it now. I hadn't run since high school, and then only incidental to other sports, and never voluntarily. Then, at the age of 44, and 30# overweight, I decided I was going to do a Sprint tri in a year. I figured I grew up at the pool daily, but never swam competitively, so I could handle the swim ok. (It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to swim for distance) I figured I could ride slowly if need be, so the bike portion didn't scare me. The run scared me a lot. On the advice of my best friend who is a sports medicine doc, I started the c25k program. The first day I literally thought the first 1 minute jog was going to kill me, and almost gave up right then. Well, I ended up doing a sprint in 8 months, and two more within that year goal. I was a heel striker, in cheap shoes that I thought were ok for running. I pulled both calf muscles along the way, the left one pretty badly. PT helped get me back on track, as did the good people here on BT, and having someone look at my stride, and taking a Good Form Running class, and studying running form via the internet. I started back slowly, and built up the mileage gradually. I had many aches and pains along the way, but I got better, too. My uncle started running about the same time, and we ran 8 5k races together last year. They were actually fun! Last Sunday, I ran my first ever Half Marathon!!! I still can't believe I ran 100% of the route (well, technically, per my GPS, I ran 101% of the route because I ran an extra .22 miles by not sticking to the inside of the many turns :-D ), and finished with a time of 2:10:36. So, yeah, I'd have to say that I like running now.

Great inspirational story!

Congrats on your half Mary!

2014-04-30 2:03 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

LOVE biking

Really enjoy swimming

Running and I have a mutual hate.  

Describes me to a T!  I'm having to reintroduce myself to running as I make my triathlon comeback after a 7 year hiatus.  C25K app has helped a lot, but can't say I'm totally hooked on running again.

2014-05-02 9:06 AM
in reply to: 0

I love running. I've run 40 to 60 MPW for several decades. It is my solace. It is my 'happy place'. Most morning I run 6 miles, which is my default run. I've run dozens of marathons and lots of destination ones. I've even run all of the World Marathon Majors. Now ... I am slightly bored running marathons and while I still run daily and still love running ... I have ventured into IMs. Just a new challenge.

I like cycling ... a lot.

I am learning to enjoy swimming.

Bottom line: I always run. Then I figure out whether I will swim or cycle also. I do find training for IMs negatively impacts the amount I can run. Just not enough time to train as much as I enjoy for all 3 disciplines.

Edited by CPA_PFS 2014-05-02 9:13 AM

2014-05-02 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Love swimming
Really, really like running
Like biking

NOTE: The gap between running and biking is MUCH larger than between swimming and running.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do You Like Running Rss Feed  

of 3