General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do You Like Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-04-28 1:41 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Do You Like Running
I've always loved swimming. Swimming for distance is a whole new beast. I'm enjoying the challenge of keeping forward motion and timing and everything else. ATM, I'm only going 450yds at a stretch, and I'm already noting that my mind wanders. I'm wondering how much I'll like at at 900+yds.

I've biked off and on for years, and really love it. It was my primary transportation thru most of High School. I really like the solitude. Now, cycling for distance and speed together is adding a new dimension.

Running and I have a love/hate relationship. For me, running imparts the most benefits from a weight loss standpoint (on my 3rd trip down from 280+), but this time around I'm having some serious calf issues. Since I am only 19 days from my first tri, I'm taking it easy (I can always walk), and plan to get it checked out after the race.

2014-04-28 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4988343

I guess I've grown fonder of running since I started a year ago. But I love cycling, I was going to do cycling races instead of triathlons but cycling has alot of junior restrictions. Its about to storm here and I have my longest run workout EVER today. So excited (not).
2014-04-28 2:05 PM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I came to Triathlon from a running background, so...

Love Running.

Like Biking.

Tolerate Swimming. I'm not too bad, I just get bored swimming laps.
2014-04-28 2:32 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Love running
Like cycling
Enjoy the calm of swimming.

Running is my #1 sport & always will be. Its an absolute blast for me.
2014-04-28 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I run/race ultras, so yep, I love running

I have a love/dislike for the bike.

Swimming, I always enjoy, once I get started. Getting started/to the pool is a mental challenge.
2014-04-28 3:35 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I love the early AM long runs I used to do before I was injured.

Getting back to that place totally sucks, and makes me hate running.

Quite a conundrum, huh?

2014-04-28 3:42 PM
in reply to: Brian W

I've always loved running. Been a competitive runner since I was 11, and was so devoted to running that I was able to run a 4:38 mile in high school. Always loved cross country, and loved running hills (especially repeats). There's probably something at least a little wrong with me.

Cycling I'm just getting into seriously for the first time this year. Had a whole tri season planned out last year and then had a bike accident breaking my arm and ruining my season. All better now though, and developing a love for cycling.

Swimming, on the other hand, has taken me a while to warm up to. The more I get into it, the better I like it. I think the detail involved in the technique appeals to me. Believe me, I am the last person I thought would ever enjoy swimming, but I am starting to. I used to say that swimming isn't a sport, it's a survival skill, and Michael Phelps is just faster at not dying than the rest of us. Obviously, I've developed a different perspective now that I'm doing triathlons.
2014-04-28 3:45 PM
in reply to: Brian W

I love running more the more I run. Particularly in the 2-8 mile range. I like the clear thoughts I have when running (Read hazy delusional thoughts)

Biking is alright. It gives me more time to think I do not have to count laps just head down and go.

I agree that swimming is zen even if I can never keep track of what lap i am on.

I understand people hating running when they start running from scratch ( no running history). It becomes easier and more enjoyable with time but the hardest part is getting started.
2014-04-28 3:56 PM

I hate running. I ran (heh... "ran") cross country in high school, and despised every blessed moment of it. I hate putting on my gear. I hate getting out on the road. I hate the pounding my knees take, and being short of breath, and the taste of vinegar that rises in my throat mid-way through every run. I especially hate that I'm slow as molasses, which means that I'm out there for longer and covering less ground than a better runner.

But I love having *just* run. When it's over, there are few things that give me the kind of self-satisfaction of having just finished my run.
2014-04-28 4:04 PM
in reply to: runbugjones

User image

I can't say that I like running but I love the shape it gets me in, I love feeling healthy, I love the great feeling when I'm done, I love being outdoors, I love an activity that you can do virtually anywhere, any season and with minimal equipment.
2014-04-28 4:22 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

For those of you that hate/dislike running, why race triathlons?  I find it interesting that so many triathletes complain about running.

2014-04-28 4:30 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

To me, it depends on what week you ask me.

Some weeks I love the bike but hate to run, other weeks I love swimming am OK with running and hate biking.

Other weeks I love to run, but hate swimming.

Rarely am I in love with the threesome at the same time.

2014-04-28 4:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Love cycling, like swimming, dislike running. So I haven't run in about 5 years, I think. Partly because of the running, I stopped racing triathlon. Now I just compete in bike races.

Edited by jeng 2014-04-28 4:39 PM
2014-04-28 5:02 PM

, Idaho
Originally posted by msteiner

For those of you that hate/dislike running, why race triathlons?  I find it interesting that so many triathletes complain about running.

I don't hate running, but here is the answer to your question -

Because Triathlons give running a purpose. Triathlon gets in the blood and so running becomes palatable.

Edited by d.wilk 2014-04-28 5:03 PM
2014-04-28 5:14 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Love the bike.

Love swimming when I actually get myself to the pool. Though I can never count well beyond a 150.

Running depends on the day. I wouldn't say I love it, but I love what it does for me and how I feel afterwards.
2014-04-28 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4988179

NEW DEVELOPMENT!!!!! Ran six miles in 1:02:53 with a 10:26min/ mile pretty good for my first time running over 3. But after getting out the door, I kind of enjoyed it.

2014-04-28 5:34 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Seattle

I absolutely LOVE running. 

I started with triathlon and realized I liked biking and swimming but more on a recreational level. So I just keep those things a fun things on the side and dedicate my time to improving as a runner.

2014-04-28 5:39 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Love is an emotion I save for human relationships.

I enjoy swimming, biking and running. I get the greatest satisfaction from swimming....but there is nothing like exploring a new city at 0600 hrs running thru the streets....or out in the country on a spring morning....of fall.

Enjoy them all or find a different sport! There are run/bike events and swim/run events and run/bike events....and if you look hard enough I'm sure you can find a swim bike event. Life is too short trying to live so e else's paradigm of fun!
2014-04-28 5:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by Porfirio

Originally posted by DanielG

I started running in '87 when I joined the Army.

I have hated every single step of every single run I have ever done. That includes when I was keeping around 20 MPW up for an IM.

I just about cheered when doc told me to stop or I'd have to rebuild my knees.

Love biking.

Kinda like swimming.

Not hijacking... but how long have you not been running? Is knee rebuild a sure thing if you continue?

Think this goes to love/hating running (it's a hit/miss for me).

Well last year I started being able to do less and less until I found out I needed to get rid of a kidney. Doc said stopping running was a good thing but I could ride my bike basically forever and not have issues.

So, yeah it's basically a given. I'm built like a linebacker, svelte is not something I've ever been.

I've never had any love for running, it's always been hate/hate. There's not even the occasional "like" There's higher and lower tolerance at best.

Edited by DanielG 2014-04-28 5:53 PM
2014-04-28 5:55 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Yes, I like running. If you had asked me 2.5 years ago I would have laughed at the idea of me running at all, let alone enjoying it.

Now I get twitchy if I don't go at least 3 miles every couple of days. As others have said, if your training volume is high enough and each run is enjoyable it really helps compared to being in pain and suffering when running.

2014-04-28 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

To the point where I find myself in a constant struggle with trying to get good at triathlon. Running is always competing with my time and my race desires. If I loved it a little less my triathloning would probably work out better. 

2014-04-28 6:47 PM

User image

There are days when running is awesome. Feel good all over and I am just running with no effort, great weather, great book to listen to, and all is well. Other days running is painful, I am working way to hard for the slow pace I am running and I just can't get in the groove. I really enjoy running with my best friend and just going for however long and talking about work, family and life. Running is a lot of fun during those times.

Bottom line:

Running: Yes, I like it. It has given me a life of health, physical strength and enjoyment.
Biking: Yes, I like it. I ride mostly for the social aspect. Except for the Triathlon side. I enjoy riding in a group and working hard but socializing also. It always leads to competition.
Swimming: Yes, I like it. Somedays it is very difficult to feel good in the water. Others, it is very relaxing and enjoyable.
2014-04-28 6:52 PM

User image

I like running and swimming when things are going good.  Meaning injury free, high fitness level, etc.  I would never "love" either of them, but they do present some good feelings when I nail a workout.  I really could deal without the pounding and injury possibilities of running though.

I love riding though.  Way more than I will ever love running or swimming.  I love the fact that it's an activity you can do with others, and challenge each other.  And you can do it for hours and hours...day after day.

2014-04-28 6:53 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Yup, I love running. It's something that has been a part of me since I was a young kid. I'm a total klutz, so it was the one sport that required next to no skill, so it was the one for me. I like the simplicity, and the fact that I've been doing it for so long adds to the sense of release that I get from it. It's easy to do while traveling, and easy to do fairly quickly.

I quite enjoy biking, but it's more complicated and time consuming. It gets me by when I'm injured and can't run.

I used to hate swimming, but once I got the (rough) hang of it I found it quite peaceful and relaxing. But the time overhead of getting to the pool etc. make it harder to justify time-wise. But I haven't done that in quite a while, as I do so love the running.
2014-04-28 7:58 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Loved running until I trained for a marathon.  Took some time off after that mistake and am finding the joy of running again.  Some days I like it more than others....

Love the bike.

Swimming?  Tolerant at best.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do You Like Running Rss Feed  

of 3