General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Registering only on race days.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-09 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Subject: Registering only on race days....
Does anyone do this? Louisiana weather is so unpredictable, I'm cautious about signing up months, weeks before a race. Most if not all the entry fees are non refundable and with most races being $60 or more to me that's a lot to lose with possibly nothing to show for it.

2014-05-09 7:09 PM
in reply to: DigitalRain

User image

Subject: RE: Registering only on race days....
my soon to be ex wife is unpredictable, so registering on race day or the day before is in my future plans fo sho
2014-05-09 7:54 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Pro

If I was a RD I wouldn't allow it.  How are RD's supposed to know how many bike racks to have up, how much water, food, etc. to have on hand if everyone signs up on race day?  To me it's just more selfishness on the part of triathletes.......already one of the most selfish group of sport participants on the planet.

2014-05-09 7:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's not allowed in any of the races I've done. In the Singapore races, I even have to make special arrangements to pick up my packet and number on race day (since I'm often flying in the night before). They only allow international participants to do that; others have to pick up their packet during the previous week, or they void their entry. I would guess for logistical/liability reasons, they need to have a really good idea of how many people are starting and who they are. You can usually enter local races up to a few weeks out if it doesn't fill up, but it's often more expensive than entering early.

If a race is cancelled due to weather or other circumstances, it is usually rescheduled, or you would get some kind of refund. I once had to pull out of a tri in the US due to it being rescheduled (jellyfish issue; I had to be back in Vietnam by the new race date). Atheletes who couldn't race due to the schedule change had their money refunded. I would hope this is common practice. The race was in Hawaii so maybe it was just in consideration of athletes coming from the mainland. Not sure as I don't race much in the US.

I've also been in races where due to conditions on race day, the swim was either shortened, cancelled and the race switched to a duathlon, or those who weren't comfortable with the swim were given the option to switch to the du at no extra charge. Also been in one race where due to snow at upper elevations, the bike course was also shortened to half the normal distance. The RD would generally have a plan for bad weather, and the race would either not go ahead if conditions were unsafe, or would be modified as needed. In the latter case, you don't generally get a refund, just race the modified course along with everyone else.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-05-09 8:07 PM
2014-05-09 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
For some races I do this. But those are the ones that I throw in at last minute anyway so would not have registered a month or 2 in advance. For the races that I prefer to do as priority races, I do sign up with plenty of time in advance.

I appreciate the comments and valid points concerning the uncertainty this creates for the RD, but if the RD allows it and charges a small premium, that is their choice as well.

2014-05-09 8:35 PM

User image

Champion
MA

If a race sells out obvious no same day registrations.

Some local races around here allow it and others don't as a matter of principal.

The big one that comes to mind always plans for same day registration and has extra racks set up. If it is a pool swim they know they will have quite a few no shows they fill the no show slots with the same day registrations.

I don't see it as selfish but an opportunity to get additional revenue for an unfilled race. I've been racing since 2004 and haven't raced since 2011 due to injury/health issues. Interesting this year for the first time, registration is down significantly at many most local races, and I have been receiving many discount promotions trying to fill races.

2014-05-09 8:39 PM
in reply to: Mc Q

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Originally posted by Mc Q

For some races I do this. But those are the ones that I throw in at last minute anyway so would not have registered a month or 2 in advance. For the races that I prefer to do as priority races, I do sign up with plenty of time in advance.

I appreciate the comments and valid points concerning the uncertainty this creates for the RD, but if the RD allows it and charges a small premium, that is their choice as well.

Most of the races here do allow it also but of course you have to pay an higher entry fee the day of. I haven't come across many races that will refund an entry fee. There was one I registered for that the bike and run had to be cancelled and the RD gave a nice discount on a future race.
2014-05-09 9:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Left Brain

If I was a RD I wouldn't allow it.  How are RD's supposed to know how many bike racks to have up, how much water, food, etc. to have on hand if everyone signs up on race day?  To me it's just more selfishness on the part of triathletes.......already one of the most selfish group of sport participants on the planet.

Yup. Then the same people asking this question will complain about a race running out of water ect. Shouldn't be allowed at all. Registration should end a week prior at the closest. I live in FL and my weather is unpredictable also and haven't had a real problem in 3 years of tri's *knocks on wood*. Just 1 cancelled swim due to high surf
2014-05-09 10:28 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I've done the day/week before registration, but only because either travel plans were iffy or I was dealing with an injury. Never registered that morning. I would be too stressed out with all the logistics of bringing down my bike, gear, etc.
I used to wait until the latest range of time to register, but now do it well in advance. Seem to have a handle on my training so injuries for me are less common.

Only one race I registered for has been cancelled - was an off road Duathlon. The area we were having it was a desert park and it was raining non stop for 2 days prior (in AZ - go figure), and raining the morning of the race. The entire even area was flooded and it would have been a logistical nightmare getting bikes/people in and out. Not to mention flash floods are common in the desert...and dangerous.

They gave us all entry into next years race and I'm fine with that. Still got my beer glass and some other goodies. They can't control the weather and peoples safety is more important!
2014-05-09 11:34 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I often register the week of or the week before a race. My job can be very unpredictable and I've learned through many forced DNS that it's actually cheaper for me to wait until the last minute when I'm sure I'll be able to race.

I've only actually registered on race morning once or twice, and that was for small running events. I think race day registration presents too much headache for organizers of a tri.
2014-05-10 8:50 AM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Veteran
I've been lucky and only had two races cancelled due to bad weather. The first, a local race, gave athletes a choice to enter another one of their races that year (or the next) for free in lieu of the missed race. The other, a large national race, gave free registration to the same race in one of the following 3 years.

My point is, even if they don't give REFUNDS for cancellations, race directors usually try to offer SOMEthing.

2014-05-10 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Lighten up Francis... I only know one RD who allows race day sign ups and thats only for friends who give advance notice they might show up.
2014-05-10 11:46 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DigitalRain Does anyone do this? Louisiana weather is so unpredictable, I'm cautious about signing up months, weeks before a race. Most if not all the entry fees are non refundable and with most races being $60 or more to me that's a lot to lose with possibly nothing to show for it.

Unless there's lightning, you race. Suck it up, buttercup.

2014-05-10 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by DigitalRain Does anyone do this? Louisiana weather is so unpredictable, I'm cautious about signing up months, weeks before a race. Most if not all the entry fees are non refundable and with most races being $60 or more to me that's a lot to lose with possibly nothing to show for it.

LMAO!!!

Edited by DigitalRain 2014-05-10 2:36 PM
2014-05-10 3:00 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I have never heard of a race allowing it, unless it's a SUPER low-key event with no amenities or support. I can literally only think of one in my area.

2014-05-10 3:42 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
very early am raceday packet pickup only as far ad i seen

2014-05-10 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by DigitalRain

LMAO!!!

And don't complain if you have to pay a premium to do it. Or have to wait in line. There is very little satisfaction in being a RD and usually you do it to raise money for a charity.
2014-05-10 4:48 PM

I don't think the OP is demanding that RD must offer this option. If the RD beleives that it fits in their business model they will offer it, I beleive most do not because it is harder to plan and it adds a level of logistics on the day of the event that is not worth it. I would think this would be on events with low participation numbers.
2014-05-10 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Originally posted by pschriver

LMAO!!!

And don't complain if you have to pay a premium to do it. Or have to wait in line. There is very little satisfaction in being a RD and usually you do it to raise money for a charity.

Okay come on. Really??? Ive done enough races to know that race day fees will be extra if the the option is made available and I have no problem with waiting in line if necessary. I don't recall griping about anything of these things that a person with common sense would know and accept when choosing to register on a race day, so exactly where are you getting this "don't complain" issue from?

Edited by DigitalRain 2014-05-10 8:03 PM
2014-05-10 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

I don't think the OP is demanding that RD must offer this option. If the RD beleives that it fits in their business model they will offer it, I beleive most do not because it is harder to plan and it adds a level of logistics on the day of the event that is not worth it. I would think this would be on events with low participation numbers.

Thank you Sidney. If a race offers race day registration, what's the problem? I don't do a ton of races that sell out so race day registration is often made available so they have an opportunity to make money. I'd rather pay the extra fee on race day than to possibly lose an entire entry fee. So no to those who are predicting complaints about no water, no shirts, waiting in line etc. Last time I checked, there's no ration on water in the U.S., I can buy it in bulk at Sam's and I'm not short on race shirts or time.

Edited by DigitalRain 2014-05-10 8:14 PM
2014-05-10 8:16 PM

User image

Pro

LMAO!!!
Okay come on. Really??? Ive done enough races to know that race day fees will be extra if the the option is made available and I have no problem with waiting in line if necessary. I don't recall griping about anything of these things that a person with common sense would know and accept when choosing to register on a race day, so exactly where are you getting this "don't complain" issue from?

Here's the other part of the story.  When a race runs short of water, or bike racks, or volunteers, because they were inundated with race day sign ups, it's unfair to the people who signed up early.  Yeah, you can say that the RD's should consider that when they offer race day sign ups, and I wouldn't argue with you.....which is why I say they shouldn't offer it at all.  I've been doing this awhile.....I've seen local races with 25 walk ups out of 125-150 racers......that hurts a race.

How about don't think just about yourself and sign up for the race in a manner that lets the RD get all the resources he/she needs.  It's not that hard. 

2014-05-10 8:26 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

LMAO!!!

Here's the other part of the story.  When a race runs short of water, or bike racks, or volunteers, because they were inundated with race day sign ups, it's unfair to the people who signed up early.  Yeah, you can say that the RD's should consider that when they offer race day sign ups, and I wouldn't argue with you.....which is why I say they shouldn't offer it at all.  I've been doing this awhile.....I've seen local races with 25 walk ups out of 125-150 racers......that hurts a race.

How about don't think just about yourself and sign up for the race in a manner that lets the RD get all the resources he/she needs.  It's not that hard. 

Oh. ok. That's your opinion on race day registrations that are offered to participants by race directors. Have a great night!

2014-05-10 8:27 PM

User image

Ive been in operations for 20 years!

If an RD cannot figure out a way to accommodate or plan on a +1 or 2% increase in numbers then they shouldn't be an RD.

• Also Im not buying that a couple people or 10 -100 are going to affect water and food consumption.
    Changes in weather are going to be more of a factor in water consumption than a few added folks.

• Yeah Im stirring the pot!

• Ive only been in Tri land for less than a year.
    I have to say that 99.9 % of the athletes I have met have been friendlier and more accommodating than most any other group I have associated with.
  • Of course Im from Boston, so my sample may be skewed a bit.

Edited by Clarkey77 2014-05-10 8:27 PM
    2014-05-10 8:36 PM
    in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Clarkey77 Ive been in operations for 20 years! If an RD cannot figure out a way to accommodate or plan on a +1 or 2% increase in numbers then they shouldn't be an RD. ... Also Im not buying that a couple people or 10 -100 are going to affect water and food consumption. Changes in weather are going to be more of a factor in water consumption than a few added folks. ... Yeah Im stirring the pot! ... Ive only been in Tri land for less than a year. I have to say that 99.9 % of the athletes I have met have been friendlier and more accommodating than most any other group I have associated with. ... Of course Im from Boston, so my sample may be skewed a bit.

Well, while you're stirring the pot, check your math.  1% is ONE walk up in a race of 100.  Like I said, I've seen 25 walk ups on race day in a race of 125 or so. 

What is the problem with signing up for a race in a timely manner that allows the RD to have enough resources for everyone?  Really?  It might cost you 65.00 if the race gets cancelled??  It might cost you 100.00??  Really? 

Like I said, I've been doing this awhile......race entry fees are your biggest expense issues in triathlon??  Really?

Don't make me say "really" again......I will, I swear I will. 

2014-05-10 8:48 PM

User image

Pro

LMAO!!!

Oh. ok. That's your opinion on race day registrations that are offered to participants by race directors. Have a great night!

Of course it's my opinion.  When you asked in your OP, "does anyone do this?", were you hoping that everyone had the same opinion as you?  Did you not count on some people thinking that your way of thinking was wrong? 

I would NEVER do that.  I don't think it's fair to other racers or race directors.  I already told you that I had no argument with you if RD's allowed it....was that not good enough? 

I just don't think they should allow it, and I don't think you should be able to do it.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Registering only on race days.... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

To register Athena or to not register Athena?

Started by augeremt
    Views: 1217 Posts: 8

2009-12-06 6:18 PM augeremt

Registering for next years IM day after race

Started by rollinsw
    Views: 832 Posts: 6

2006-06-22 6:05 PM max

Registered for my 1st race today

Started by Freak Monk
    Views: 709 Posts: 8

2005-11-03 12:51 PM Sassafras

Atlanta area-registering for races

Started by Beignet
    Views: 565 Posts: 6

2004-11-07 4:46 PM tribesman

i have registered to a race.

Started by shaycahal
    Views: 691 Posts: 4

2004-04-09 3:53 PM shaycahal
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 19, 2010
    author : Patrick McCrann
    comments : 1
    Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : April 13, 2010
    author : Patrick McCrann
    comments : 3
    Every year thousands of triathletes spend excessive amounts of time and money on training, only to show up to the biggest race of the season with little to no plan.
    date : October 7, 2009
    author : EnduranceFilms
    Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.

date : May 5, 2009
    author : Amy Kuitse
    comments : 0
    A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
    date : August 8, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 11, 2008
    author : Team BT
    comments : 2
    Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
    date : June 11, 2007
    author : MegL
    comments : 2
    So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : June 14, 2005
    author : tomp
    Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.