Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Break ins

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by Left Brain

Heroin zombies.

The answer is as simple as legalizing drugs and making it easy for addicts to get them.  It's hard to support a $2-300.00 dollar per day heroin or meth habit and keep a job.....so they steal.  Virtually ALL of our property crimes can be tied to drug addiction.

But yeah, lock your stuff up.  The last thing I do before bed is walk around my house, check the car doors, windows, etc.  Mehaner's point is very valid....they're not trying to make a lot of noise, so unlocked is the deal for them.  The other deal is NEVER leave anything of value in plain sight in a car.  You're asking for it to be stolen.

Paranoid are we???

Been waiting a long time for that opening.

Nah, I'm just lookiing for an opportunity to shoot a burglar.

Be sure to get it on video when you do!

I've got the video covered... LB, don't look behind the big plant in the living room... 

2014-06-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by lisac957

Host a neighborhood watch BBQ - get to know your neighbors and have their cell numbers on-hand.

Yes, get to know your neighbors. There was a crime ring going on down here in Louisiana where these guys would rent a moving truck, dress in official looking clothes that professional movers would wear, and then they'd go to a house when the knew nobody was home and take everything out in plain sight, making it look like the owners were just in the process of moving. Nobody looked twice. They finally got caught when a neighbor saw these "movers" and said to themselves, "wait, they didn't say anything about moving???" and called the police. Busssssted. It's amazing they got away with it as long as they did.

We have neighborhood BBQ block party every summer but with the area growing quickly it is hard to keep up with all the new faces. Last year one of those door to door book sales guys was going around - there was practically a lynch mob after him. People in our neighborhood called the cops after him. I actually felt a little sorry for him!

Our neighborhood network gets the most use when the cops are in the neighborhood.  lol.  They like to set up speed traps or stake out the popular rolling stop corners.  My phone blows up with text messages from half the neighborhood.

2014-06-16 11:46 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pro

Host a neighborhood watch BBQ - get to know your neighbors and have their cell numbers on-hand.

Yes, get to know your neighbors. There was a crime ring going on down here in Louisiana where these guys would rent a moving truck, dress in official looking clothes that professional movers would wear, and then they'd go to a house when the knew nobody was home and take everything out in plain sight, making it look like the owners were just in the process of moving. Nobody looked twice. They finally got caught when a neighbor saw these "movers" and said to themselves, "wait, they didn't say anything about moving???" and called the police. Busssssted. It's amazing they got away with it as long as they did.

Living in a urban area it's not always easy to know your neighbors, but I have to say my street is pretty good. Probably because we have backyard parking and an alley for access, so we tend to see each other more. None of us are very good at locking gates, and my neighbor has had odd thefts, like a flat of flowers. I have motion sensors and floodlights, and lock my car,but that's about it. Two trained attack cats don't count. 

2014-06-16 12:57 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

if these as$clowns put as much effort into a productive job as they did in that scheme.......
2014-06-17 2:57 PM

User image

Not sure if this is a deterrent or not but I have friends that have a deadbolt that locks from the inside (with a key) as well as the outside. I think it would help prevent any of the bigger items from getting stolen. Not saying that the small things are not valuable either but having the ability to walk out a door that is unlocked from the inside is easier than crawling out a window with a TV, compter, jewrelry box, ect..... does that make any sense?

What do ya think about that LeftBrain, does that make any difference.

Of course I understand that a break in is a break in no matter what.
2014-06-17 3:17 PM
in reply to: Dub_Z

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Dub_Z Not sure if this is a deterrent or not but I have friends that have a deadbolt that locks from the inside (with a key) as well as the outside. I think it would help prevent any of the bigger items from getting stolen. Not saying that the small things are not valuable either but having the ability to walk out a door that is unlocked from the inside is easier than crawling out a window with a TV, compter, jewrelry box, ect..... does that make any sense? What do ya think about that LeftBrain, does that make any difference. Of course I understand that a break in is a break in no matter what.

Yes, it makes sense.  They will typically take the easiest way out no matter how they got in.  Anything you can do to make life harder on them is good.  The harder it is the less they want it, and the more evidence they leave if they do.

The doors in my home open outward so they can't be kicked in, so it wouldn't do me much good. 

2014-06-17 4:06 PM
in reply to: Dub_Z

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by Dub_Z Not sure if this is a deterrent or not but I have friends that have a deadbolt that locks from the inside (with a key) as well as the outside. I think it would help prevent any of the bigger items from getting stolen. Not saying that the small things are not valuable either but having the ability to walk out a door that is unlocked from the inside is easier than crawling out a window with a TV, compter, jewrelry box, ect..... does that make any sense? What do ya think about that LeftBrain, does that make any difference. Of course I understand that a break in is a break in no matter what.

Most people I know who have this kind of set-up leave the key in the lock.  Not helpful!

2014-06-28 1:14 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
We are 100:1 for locked vs unlocked for vehicle prowling these days. Lots of unlocked vehicles with garage remotes used as a point of entry into the home. Rural areas are high risk for day time break and enter ...

Why do Americans describe being broken into as being robbed... it downplays what a real robbery is.

"I got robbed"
"What, did they shove a gun in your face?"
"No they broke in while I was at work"
"Thats not robbery, thats break and enter sir"
2014-06-28 8:36 AM

User image

Elite

One more question - is it better to keep Fido in the garage at night or in the house? Is one more of a deterrent? Like he will hear more things if he is in the garage but then if someone tries to come in through the front door he is outside. I am over thinking this I am sure .

I have always had dogs and I have never had any place I lived in broke into... ever. Dogs are always in with me. They are family. I don't want to deal with them once they are in... I don't want them in. Barking dogs seal that deal. No need for an alarm system.

2014-06-29 5:49 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Elite
Reno
Originally posted by powerman

One more question - is it better to keep Fido in the garage at night or in the house? Is one more of a deterrent? Like he will hear more things if he is in the garage but then if someone tries to come in through the front door he is outside. I am over thinking this I am sure .

I have always had dogs and I have never had any place I lived in broke into... ever. Dogs are always in with me. They are family. I don't want to deal with them once they are in... I don't want them in. Barking dogs seal that deal. No need for an alarm system.

. Yep - we have a dog in the house. In the summer the windows are open at night - I couldn't sleep in the heat if I felt the need to close and lock them. The doors are locked and I have an East German police baton next to my bed. If mr booty is home, he has a .45. When we leave for the day, windows are locked up, keeping the cool in.

. A few years ago, we had a series of breakins in the neighborhood. In the middle of the day with a haul. They were foiled by a UPS driver who stopped at home for lunch. He went to open a beer over the sink and looking out that window, he could see his neighbor's yard - a few guys and a haul. He called the cops and went out with his hunting rifle and held them at gunpoint until the cops arrived. It pays to know your neighbors!

2014-06-29 7:02 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Two things that help...

Neighbors that give a $hit.

Knowing the community.

2014-06-29 7:34 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Elite
Reno
Yep. We have a week out of town coming up. I let a couple neighbors know that one person is going to be coming by to check in with the cat and garden, gave her general description, and said there should be no reasons for anything being moved out, so call the cops.
2014-06-30 8:09 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Most people I know who have this kind of set-up leave the key in the lock.  Not helpful!

After a break in a couple of years ago I replaced the dead bolt locks with keyed on both sides deadbolts, we keep a key in them when we are at home usually and always put a key in them at night but we always take the keys out before we leave. 

Another thing we started doing when we leave for a few days or longer is to unplug the electric garage opener. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Break ins Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

US INS May not process illegals

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1165 Posts: 9

2010-05-21 5:45 PM SGriepsma

Guy's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives ...

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 1499 Posts: 10

2009-05-27 10:46 AM BlackList

Long Term Care Ins.

Started by SauseEnte
Views: 848 Posts: 4

2008-09-06 11:29 AM SauseEnte

How to break out of a rut!

Started by KSMITH
Views: 764 Posts: 1

2005-01-04 12:59 PM KSMITH

Who's reading BT posts on their lunch breaks??

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1112 Posts: 18

2004-11-19 2:06 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.