Pretzel City Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 32s
Overall Rank = 146/153
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up good and early to be at my friend's house before 6 am. Ate 2 Eggo waffles with PB and drank some iced tea. I got to her house around 5:50 and we left shortly after 6. It's about a 45 minute drive or so to the race site. She and her husband drove separately since she had to go to work right after the race and I'd bring him home.

We arrived at the race site in good time, yet unfortunately got split into different parking areas. As it would turn out, my spot right behind the mansion (like I owned the place) was a blessing. We picked up our numbers and our goodie bags: insulated store bags with race logo and nice socks with the name of the race and a nice pic of a tree and 2 people running, and there were a few snacks/coupons in the insulated bag.

Since we had time to spare, we slowly prepped for the race, MH ran a warm-up mile, and KH and I chilled and chatted. A few port-a-john visits later and we were ready to be in the start area.
Event warmup:

It's a little tough to warm up for this race with the staggered starts, so I just did some dynamic stretches and a few static ones, too, while waiting for my group to be called.
Run
  • 1h 26m 32s
  • 10 kms
  • 08m 39s  min/km
Comments:

With the age-graded start, typically the older and the very younger (kids) get the 'head start', so KH and RS left before me, then me, then MH and BS. I had 20 minutes to wait from the start of the very first racer until my group went. They called my group to the staging area, then the line, then GO!

The first section is a paved downhill for about a quarter mile or so before it turns into a regular dirt trail downhill. I think I took this a little faster than I had in past years. I had a secret hope/desire to beat my time from last year, and I figured why not kick off the race by getting some 'free' speed on a downhill. Before a turn, a young woman passed me. The trail was marked to go left but she went straight. "Turn!" I yelled. She didn't respond. "If you are racing, turn!" I yelled again. Some guys behind me yelled at her as well, and finally she stopped, came back and made the turn. As I ran through the woods, each successive pack of other age groups eventually caught and passed me. If the trail wasn't quite wide enough for me to simply hug the side, I'd move off the trail (after looking to make sure no poison ivy was present) and let folks pass. I know my place in the pecking order, no need to hold the speedsters up.

There are some (OK, IMO a lot) of decent, steeper hills in the first half of the race and as much as I would've loved to run or at least 'run' up them, I wasn't able to. I'd run a little, then walk because of not being able to get enough breath and also because I didn't want to aggravate my ongoing ankle issues by stepping wrong going uphill. Uphills are often where it protests the most and I didn't want to throw my race in the can this early by doing something foolish to my ankle. I stopped very briefly at the mile 2 water stop to catch my breath - drank half, dumped the other half on my upper chest then kept going.

This strategy, although slow, worked. Eventually between miles 2-3 I caught my first person, yay! KH knows her and pointed her out to me before the race, so I gave her some encouragement as I passed. At mile 3 and the rock climb thingie I greatly dislike, I caught up to two other ladies but I just wasn't ready to pass them. I told them I hate the rock climb because I'm afraid I'll fall to my death. One of them replied, "That would be the easy way out!" and we had a good laugh. After a bit I did pass the one, she passed me back, I passed her back and stayed ahead. We picked our way over logs, through rock gardens and around trees, waving our arms now and again for balance. A few minutes later I caught her buddy. I think I passed a few more folks here and in the waning sections of the race which made me feel better, albeit a bit selfishly, knowing that I wouldn't be last.

The run was feeling pretty good. My ankle was cooperating, as was my hammy which I had strained this winter. I felt like I was in a good zone, maybe even THE zone. I was enjoying the beautiful forest, the nice temps, the ability to be outside exercising, enjoying nature. There are so many folks that would love to even walk this far, let alone run, and I kept this in mind to be appreciative of the abilities I have. Slow or not, I can do what I want to do and be active.

Looking at my watch I saw I was nearing mile 4 and another water stop, so I pulled a PowerBar gel out of my pocket and ate it. A few other nice people passed me and I passed an older lady. At the water stop I grabbed a cup of water and kept moving, I was feeling good and I thought it looked like my time was looking good for a new PR. I picked my way down a packed dirt/jutting rock/jutting root path. I passed the 5 mile marker; cool, a little over a mile to go.

The trail turned onto Oak Trail, according to a cute little wooden trail marker. Oak Trail was a slight downhill with loose dirt, loose fist and under sized rocks. I still felt like I was in a groove, so I kept up the pace. What happened next is a bit of a mystery. I was grooving down the trail when all of a sudden I realized I was falling forward. Why? I dunno. Maybe I stumbled. Maybe I didn't pick my feet up high enough. Maybe a ghost or wood spirit pushed me. Maybe I tripped. Perhaps I lost focus. Maybe Fate was playing a cruel trick on me. Pick an option, any option, but regardless of the option you chose, I was earthbound with no time to consciously react, although I'm thinking I possibly subconsciously reacted because it almost seemed I leaned back a little to keep from falling on my hands/face; who knows, it was probably dumb luck. I fell on my lower legs, hard and painful. OUCH! Well, that wasn’t exactly the word I yelled. That one may or may not have started with an ‘F’. I possibly did a little sideways roll because I discovered later my elbow was bruised but not cut. My hands were for all intents and purposes unhurt. My legs, however... I proceeded to do the Peter Griffin for a while (Peter Griffin hurts his knee for those not in the know). Seriously, I sat there for a while doing just that! I did a quick assessment of my wounds = a cut right shin looked pretty deep and bad, bleeding very freely. I saw some white whether it was fat or bone I didn't know. Left leg was in relatively better shape but more abrasions and also bleeding decently from a laceration near my knee. Some guy who already finished and was hanging out near the next turn heard me yell (although people in downtown Reading probably heard me, too, LOL) and came up to check on me and eventually helped me stand up. As he was helping me, other racers caught up to me and passed me (grr! I passed them earlier!) and asked if I was OK. I told him I thought I’d be OK and started walking carefully, blood already soaked into my right sock and shoe, both legs dirty and bloody. In a little bit I tried running and it really hurt so I walked a little again. I looked at my watch and the time/distance and thought I might still have a chance at beating last year’s time so I started running again.

My friend's husband, MH, always comes back to her and then me to run us in to the finish and it wasn't too long before I saw him waiting for me on the trail. He asked how I was doing and I said OK but I fell. He said, "That doesn't look too good". "Yeah, I think the right one needs some attention" as we ran the last stretch of trail before the hill scramble, carefully making our way along the stream, through wet areas, mud, crossing a few bouncy plank bridges before getting to the hill scramble. Ugh, the hill scramble; always a challenge even when one isn't bleeding and injured! KH, RS and BS were all standing at the top cheering me up as MH coaxed and cheered as he blazed the path in front of me. This is not an official trail but rather a very rough spot they bring the race up through every year to the finish. I finally clamored over the top and started running once I hit the flat. MH was on my heels, directing me straight to the ambulance after we crossed the line. I tried to stop for water. "I'll bring you water, just go!" MH said. Ok, Ok. I looked at my watch and saw I beat my time from last year by around 4 minutes!!! YEAH!!!

I explained to the ambulance guys what happened, one did paperwork while the other started cleaning some of the dirt and junk out of the wounds. I was chipper and doing fine. I know I get a little weird with my own blood, so I tried not to look at what the guy cleaning it was doing, yet it was hard not to look. Sure enough, after some time I started feeling like I was going to pass out. I told them so and they wanted me to lay down, discussed an IV, discussed going to a hospital...no, no, no, I'd be fine, just let me put my head between my legs, it's because of looking at my wounds too much. They didn't seem to believe me. I put my head between my knees and they kept hounding me with questions (please, please, just give me a minute or two! I shouted in my mind) which I'd eventually answer, all the while wishing they'd just let me be. Of course now we have new paperwork. BP gets taken and retaken because they think it's too low even though I tell them it's usually low, pulse gets taken. That's high. I have to fill out refusal of treatment or transport or something paperwork. Poor MH has to sign as a witness of refusal. They ask me if my lips are always blue. Only when I'm cold, I respond. Are you cold? they ask. No. More insistance to go to a hospital. More refusal from me because I know the majority of the problem was simply vagal response. Warnings by the ambulance guys that I should really be treated as they didn’t seem to trust me telling them the near blackout was just from looking at my wounds too much. Finally they let me go with promises by me and MH to call 911 if I got worse. Promises to go to Urgent Care. Broken promises to let MH drive.

We went back to the finish area where the raffles were going on - hey, we can't miss the chance at Southwest Airline tickets or door prizes! Plus I promised the ambulance guys I'd eat something, so I had a piece of watermelon, 4 fresh strawberries and a blue freeze pop. Sadly we didn't win any prizes. :(

Drove MH home, went to my house for a shower, then my husband drove me to Urgent Care for 4 stitches, a tetanus shot and a script for antibiotics. Thankfully they weren't busy and we were in and out quickly. Hey, scars tell stories, and that one will have a heck of a good one behind it!

Here is where I think I fell, note the flat line at one point. The earlier low points are probably where I'd pull off the trail to let others pass. Elevation chart is below it.

What would you do differently?:

Not fall.
Post race
Warm down:

Hangin' out at the ambulance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Falling, and the usual asthma-related breathing issues. Oh, and maybe those pesky extra pounds I'm carrying...

Event comments:

I really enjoy doing this race because of its unique format and lovely location. It's on the smaller side (gets capped at 300 which they didn't reach this year) and it's a nice time to catch up with my friends.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-06-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:32 | 10 kms | 08m 39s  min/km
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/153
Performance: Good
Course: A wheel measured, well marked 10K course over the beautiful trails in Nolde forest. VERY pretty and scenic with less ankle busting rocks than most other Berk’s parks. You’ll scramble over some rocks and go off trail to get dirty, too. The race will start in front of the Environmental Education Building and head directly into the forest after minimal time on pavement. Most trails are wide enough for easy passing. The race is run on challenging yet very runnable trails in beautiful Nolde Forest, has great swag and virtually no bottle necks. What’s an age graded start? Those who have more than a few grey hairs or have yet to hit puberty will get a head start based on age and gender. Typically the oldest female wave starts first. Then the next wave will start, based on 5 year age groups, working back toward the younger (faster?) folks. Wave starts will bounce back and forth between sexes, as the handicap derived from the World Masters Association dictates. The youngest runners also get a head start. The actual handicap for each age division is posted at www.PagodaPacers.com. That means you start with your age group (call them your competition if you like). Your handicap division may or may not start with another handicap division. For example, it’s possible that 60-64 year old men might start at the same time as 50-54 year old women. Or maybe not…
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-24 2:52 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Run for the Ages

2014-06-24 5:00 PM
in reply to: #5016980

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Run for the Ages

Fall and cut yourself and still go for the PR. YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you weren't hurt more seriously and glad you didn't fall to your death!

2014-06-24 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow!!  I'm not sure what to comment on first!  The race itself seems likes a really fun, challenging one - the kind I like to do; although that elevation chart is a little scary to this Florida girl  It's great that you did it with your friends and even greater to see all the support you give each other.  

As far as your fall goes, I'm going with a sprite pushed you   That one gash looked like it was pretty deep and nasty.  You certainly get a lot of HTFU points for finishing and extra points for the PR!!!!

2014-06-24 6:10 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Man you're a legend - fall and hurt yourself that bad and still PR by 4 minutes. You rock!
2014-06-24 10:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

X2 on what everyone else said!  You are BAD AZZ !  Hope that heals up quickly and great job on the PR!

Edited by bcraht 2014-06-24 10:19 PM
2014-06-25 12:04 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Denver, CO

Super job, Melanie!!  That's one heck of a PR!  I love that you went back to see if you won any of the raffle prizes and that you went home for a shower before going to Urgent Care.  You are a tough cookie.    Hope the wounds heal up quick.  In the meantime, I'll bet your legs are going to be pretty colorful!

2014-06-25 8:45 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock

Super job, Melanie!!  That's one heck of a PR!  I love that you went back to see if you won any of the raffle prizes and that you went home for a shower before going to Urgent Care.  You are a tough cookie.    Hope the wounds heal up quick.  In the meantime, I'll bet your legs are going to be pretty colorful!

The way I saw it is the ambulance guys did a decent job of getting most of the dirt out of the wounds and I think a person has 24 hours after injury to still be able to stitch a wound if it needs it, so why not hang around for the raffles?!   As for the shower, man, I sweat like crazy and was stinky and dirty and unless my leg was actively falling off, I wasn't going to go anywhere that mattered in my gross clothes smelling like that!

2014-06-25 9:14 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I almost passed out reading it. 

That's some serious HTFU, girl.  Fierce!!!

2014-06-25 7:17 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Melanie, I have a new level of respect for your bad azzedness(if that's a word). Great job on toughing it out and getting a PR to top it all off!!!

Congratulations.

2014-06-26 10:37 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

A dumptruck of awesome right there!

Usually a "flat line" is really, really (REALLY) bad - but here, it was just a brief stop on the way to a PR.

Bad-azzed, indeed!

Congrats on a great race and a PR performance through challenging "events."  

Matt

2014-07-15 4:53 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I was doing the Peter Griffen just looking at those pics. Nothing worse than hitting your shin, well, stubbing your toe is a near contender.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for the Ages Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Run for the Ages

Started by melbo55
Views: 1579 Posts: 15

2013-07-01 10:44 AM TriAya

Run for the Ages

Started by melbo55
Views: 901 Posts: 6

2012-06-25 11:17 PM KansasMom

Run for the Ages 5K

Started by Nad2973
Views: 697 Posts: 1

2009-10-14 6:31 AM Nad2973

Parmenter Run for All Ages

Started by RunFasterDaddy
Views: 682 Posts: 1

2009-06-05 11:35 PM RunFasterDaddy

Gibson Park Age Graded 8k Trail Run

Started by jkbostic
Views: 1516 Posts: 10

2005-05-16 9:54 AM G8RLA94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.