DRC Sports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 5s
Overall Rank = 32/89
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4AM, made coffee. Bob and packed the truck for the race and for the one1-nite stay-cation for the evening at Jax Beach.
Event warmup:

Short bike before racking it into the transtion area. Jogged around the block before putting running shoes in transition area. Did some stretching between and after these warmups. About 5 minutes before race start, did a few swim sets to get the arms warmed up and get used to the open water.
Swim
  • 09m 23s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did pretty well overall. Just a little bumping at the buoys but that's to be expected.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Did very well in this. Fastest time in my age group.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 48m 5s
  • 15.9 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt great. I had it tuned right after the last race's debacle. Everything was fine until I was starting to make my U-turn at that last roundabout. Halfway into it I saw out of the corner of my eye some guy who was doing the olympic distance, so he wasn't going to make the same U-turn. He was going straight but was trying to pass on my LEFT when I'm in the middle of a left-hand U-turn! OMG! I thank God that I saw him and I tried to straighten out a bit but we collided anyway (not as bad as it could've been). We hit shoulders and then my front tire kissed his rear tire. Fortunately I didn't go down, but I had to come to a complete stop and then get myself back on the course. Scary stuff out there!

If I weren't so concerned with keeping my body safe I would've thought to get the race number of the dufus who was STUPID enough to try to pass at the sprint turnaround point! With all the shoulder issues I have I would've been a gonner if I had gone down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Had a rough time racking my bike today. It just didn't want to go under the rack bar smoothly and I had to wrestle with it in order to get it in right.

I'd do a better job racking! DUH!
Run
  • 28m 17s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Just kept plodding along, looking for a rhythm so I could make it through the run. Doing the whole 3 miles without stopping to walk is stil a goal for me.

Nothing. Can't train much because of foot problems so I'm doing the best I can.
Post race
Warm down:

Jump into the ocean after the race for a easy little swim. Feels SOOO great!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The dufus on the bike that hit me!

Event comments:

If the incident on the bike hadn't happened it wouldn't have changed my placement in the race, but a lot of other personal goals would've happened. I was 30 seconds slower than the first race of this series, so I would've probably beaten that; my average bike speed was JUST under 20 mph, so I would've definitely gotten that; Bob beat me by 40 seconds and I definitely would've been closer to his time if not beat him by a little.

Last updated: 2014-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:23 | 440 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 35/89
Performance: Good
Suit: tri-suit
Course: Out to buoy, left turn to swim parallel to shore, then another left at the next buoy to get into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:05 | 15.9 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 28/89
HR avg 154.
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course. Down Fletcher Drive 5.5 miles, left at roundabout, then U-turn 2.5 miles down the road at the next roundabout. Same route back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:17 | 03 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 46/89
Course: Down the road for ~1/2 mile then into Ft. Clinch Park entrance road. Out and back course beautifully shady within the park, but you could REALLY feel the sun hit when leaving the park for the last 1/2 mile!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-12 12:24 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Jax Tri Series #3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jax Tri Series #3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jax Tri Series #2

Started by snikpos
Views: 790 Posts: 1

2014-07-21 10:36 AM snikpos

Jax Tri Series #1

Started by snikpos
Views: 993 Posts: 2

2014-06-26 12:06 AM ropkins

Jax Tri Series #3

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 960 Posts: 1

2012-08-06 5:31 AM rjrankin83

Jax Tri Series Sprint #3

Started by snikpos
Views: 1980 Posts: 4

2009-08-14 2:28 AM ropkins

Jax Tri Series #3

Started by ropkins
Views: 957 Posts: 2

2009-08-12 9:47 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.