BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-12-29 5:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!
Oh wow I go to bed and wake up with a heap of new friends - I love this group welcome everyone.

Have a great day everyone. I'm off to work with a grand total of 1 other person in our office I got sooooo much done yesterday it was fantastic.

Edited by StaceyK 2014-12-29 6:07 PM

2014-12-29 6:00 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk ok so you guys will like this: I was talking to my dad about those personal safety devices - you know, you pull the pin and it screams really loudly. I said I was kind of freaked out about being on the rail trail by myself in the dark since that woman got stabbed (and no, they haven't made any arrests). He says "why don't you get a pistol permit." And he was serious. (He's a retired police officer so that may help you interpret where he's coming from but yeah........no thanks)

Did you tell him it's not very aero?   On the other hand, you could start biathlon training to go with your duathlons and triathlons....

Scary that they still haven't arrested a suspect!

2014-12-29 6:00 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Here's my bio if you'll have me!

Name: Glfprncs/Nancy

STORY: In high school, I was pretty athletic without actually realizing it. I played basketball and softball, but my main 'thing' was 3-day eventing (an equestrian sport). Rode horses competitively pretty much until I was 30 and then my career as an 8th grade teacher took of much of my time. Did a 3 year stint in Utah as a ski instructor (THAT was a fun job...didn't pay the bills much from April to November, though).

Prior to hitting 40, I stared at the girl in the mirror and didn't like her much. I started working out, got in shape, and then started running. I spent a year running half marathons and then ran my first full marathon in March of 2013. The very next day I signed up for the Augusta (GA) 70.3 and then that afternoon I went to the bike shop and became the owner of a leftover 2010 Felt B16 tri bike (her name is Frieda Marie). I met some friends in the local tri club and started training (and learned a lot that first year--one key thing I learned is that new things that I've never done before are REALLY SCARY). That year I did two sprints, one Olympic and a 70.3. I'm slow.

2014 pretty much sucked. I had aspirations of a sub 6-hour 70.3 my 2nd year at Augusta. Over the winter of 2013-14, I started having leg pain which didn't subside until June (spent 6 months with chiro and exercise physiologist). In June, I picked up some funky bacterial infection from a local OWS location and the antibiotic made me sick as a dog for the entire month I was on it. Oh, and it was one of those antibiotics that can cause tendon ruptures, too, so training was pretty slack. Jumped back in it for July and August, only to develop bronchitis and then pneumonia 4 weeks before my 70.3. Was on another one of those antibiotics that can cause tendon ruptures. To say I was unprepared was an understatement. I finished, but boy was it ugly.

2015 is a year for me to back off a bit and focus on getting healthy, fit and strong. I'm wrapping my head around healthful eating (I actually hired a nutritionist who has been wonderful), and am cross training dutifully to prevent the injuries I faced last year. I'm only doing sprint and Olympic distances (no 70.3 this year) so I can really finally focus on getting a strong fitness base without "having" to train for 70+ miles.

I'll be 44 in May, and my real 'gig' is as an 8th grade English teacher in a public middle school near Augusta, GA. Sometimes, going home to swim/bike/run is the BEST after school stress relief.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 9 years (but been together for 14)...dog mom to 3. My husband 'tolerates' my triathlon endeavors, and while he doesn't love that I am involved in triathlon, he still supports my training and racing.

CURRENT TRAINING: I finally was cleared (after having a blood clot in a superficial vein in my arm over Thanksgiving holiday--see, I told you 2014 was a suckfest!) to start working out 3 weeks ago. I'm running 3 days/week, doing a kickboxing workout/strength training 3 days/week and Pilates/yoga twice per week. Am trying to figure out a workable swim/bike/run/kickboxing/pilates/yoga schedule, but it seems there aren't enough days of the week! I find that by incorporating the kickboxing, it keeps me from getting burned out on s/b/r, and the pilates/yoga is needed to keep my leg injury from coming back.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS (so far):
Jan--Doggone Cold 5K
Feb--Augusta 5K/10K (5K on Sat, 10K on Sun)
March--Dare to Tri sprint
May--Tall Pines Olympic (Sat) and sprint (Sun)
June--Greenwood Olympic
July--Mistletoe spring
Sept--Hot Dam Olympic (Sat) and sprint (Sun)

Also trying to plan a trip to visit a friend in Scotland in June or July which also coincides with the running of the Edinburgh half marathon and the Dundee half marathon during the times I'm thinking of going.

BODY COMPOSITION: I'm working on losing some inches this year...I'm over the scale, but if my clothes get loser, it's win/win. I'd like to finally look decent in a pair of tri shorts.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-12-29 6:08 PM
2014-12-29 6:37 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk ok so you guys will like this: I was talking to my dad about those personal safety devices - you know, you pull the pin and it screams really loudly. I said I was kind of freaked out about being on the rail trail by myself in the dark since that woman got stabbed (and no, they haven't made any arrests). He says "why don't you get a pistol permit." And he was serious. (He's a retired police officer so that may help you interpret where he's coming from but yeah........no thanks)

There are a lot of nut cases out there.  I don't like guns and would be more inclined to carry pepper spray.

My daughter is a vet tech and a guy came into her office and stabbed the vet.  She had sufferficial wounds and is fine but he meant to inflict harm and the vet had to wrestle the knife away from him.  He then pulled another knife and was threatening the front office staff.  My daughter came out and told the guy to put down the knife and calm down.  He did and left only to drive across town and stab another vet.

She now carries a .38 Ruger.  I worry about her more now though.  If you pull a gun in self defense you have to be prepared to empty the clip into someone or that gun can be turned on you.  Not a situation to take lightly.

2014-12-29 6:55 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
45min from Amarillo and throwing into the new pod a Hidee ho there, neighbors. :D Back in "warm" Az tomorrow where I'll type out a bio. Will be reading more than posting til then. Welcome to our new manatees!
2014-12-29 7:15 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando
Lots of activity in the Pod today! Welcome new manatees!!

2014-12-29 7:30 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I'm here, I'm here *runs in to the room breathlessly*. Will post a bio when I'm on a real computer. In the mean time, welcome to all the fresh new faces!
2014-12-29 7:44 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Goooood day--errr, whatever time it is in all our far-flung corners of Earth

I'm closing it up for now with 10 additional podmates (as well as the usual ruckus). Yes, we're the pod people, woo-woo (and if you get that, you're at least as old as I am, so ... bless your heart ).

Beggars who show a strong commitment to Pop Tart generosity and offering cute animal photos will be considered.

MANATEE ALUMNI ALWAYS WELCOME. You just can't escape that easily.

We can also always re-open by consensus Manatee decree.

MANATEE MENTOR GROUP IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW MEMBERS

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-12-29 7:45 PM
2014-12-29 7:59 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Well I am glad I said 3 or 4 days ago that I was IN  

Here's the scoop.

Name: Judi

Married 21 years.  2 daughters whom I refer to as Thing 1 and Thing 2.  Currently 1 cat (down from 3  the fat boy was mean and bit me twice....the big girl died last week after a very long life with us and we still miss her)

Experiences....been racing about 8 years, I focus on short course and Olympic distance triathlon.  Tried once to go for the HIM and had a season I would rather not repeat of injury & illness.

This season:  Planned races so far:  Monument Ave 10K  March 28 with about 35,000 people.  It's a big party in Richmond and I love this race

Petersburg Historic Half Marathon  April 18.  It's a brand spanking new race that is going to go through the Petersburg National  Battlefield complete with a battle reenactment during the race.  Promises to be hilly, I have run the battlefield a few times cause it's not too far from my house and it is a challenging 4 miles.

Challenge Williamsburg  Olympic Triathlon June 14 (or thereabouts)  Third year racing this one, used to be Rev 3 but Rev 3 and Challenge merged.

I am still thinking of my other races.....likely the East Coast Super Sprint early May because it's a good OWS & transition practice and a super short course not too far from my house.  The race company I have avoided for the past 2 hears was recently sold so once I see how a few of those races are reviewed under new ownership I may be back to the local races.  The Richmond Half Marathon in November is probably going to happen for me--pending how my legs cooperate with the April one and the remainder of the season  AND my work not sucking the will to live from me.

BODY COMP....well let's say I am one of those who put on weight during marathon training in 2013 and STILL haven't been able to lose it.  BTW, while Salty is a fabulous marathoner, I am most definitely NOT cut out to repeat that distance.  I prefer 10K and HM distances.  Just enough to work hard and know it but not enough to take over life.

My weakest link?  I barely tolerate swimming and after 8 years still suck.

2014-12-29 9:08 PM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Originally posted by Havok

First post on BT! I would like to join you guys if its still possible! I am currently on lunch break so I will complete my bio later tonight at home.

Bio: Grew up playing sports and was always a little overweight, not by much though.  Dropped all of the extra weight my first season of track where I did sprinting and pole vaulting.  I was down to around 175 or so and could run all day long! Finished high school off playing soccer and moved on to college.  Drank too much beer and ate too much pizza for 5 years and here I am a year after college at the age of 24 in the worst shape of my life!  Looking to change that now and look forward to working with everyone

NAME: Michael

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/2 dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: Since I am so dearly out of shape (2 mile bike ride plus a bunch of house chores wore me out today!) I decided to start it easy in the attempt of losing weight.  I will seek performance down the road! This plan is what I intend to use and will be joining the local YMCA to have access to their swimming pool this weekend.  Biggest thing will be cleaning up the diet...

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: None planned at the moment, but I imagine I will try a local 5k or two.

BODY COMPOSITION: Badly out of shape...unless of course you count being round as in shape! 260ish at 5'11

Updated my original post with more information!  Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

2014-12-29 9:21 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Thanks for the welcome and letting me play!

2014-12-30 6:03 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So for all you running peps when looking at a 20 week HM plan what would you expect your longest run to be? The plan I am looking at has two 10 mile runs as the longest, my brain is telling me this isn't long enough. My goal is just to finish in good shape with a smile on my face and I'm willing to run/walk. I have 3 runs scheduled per week.

What are your thoughts?
2014-12-30 6:05 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK So for all you running peps when looking at a 20 week HM plan what would you expect your longest run to be? The plan I am looking at has two 10 mile runs as the longest, my brain is telling me this isn't long enough. My goal is just to finish in good shape with a smile on my face and I'm willing to run/walk. I have 3 runs scheduled per week. What are your thoughts?

Having run a half marathon, my brain tells me that if my long run gets to eight or nine miles, I know I can do the full 13.1.  I've conquered the mental barrier.  10 miles is plenty to get you the distance.

2014-12-30 6:08 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Put some hurt time in on the trainer this morning (for those that are new, check our logs, or join our group on Strava for updates, and also our Twitter group).

It's funny in the base period, I think: I'm in great shape.  I'll just knock out this workout no problem.  Halfway in I'm thinking, take the intervals one at a time! Survive!

2014-12-30 6:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyKSo for all you running peps when looking at a 20 week HM plan what would you expect your longest run to be? The plan I am looking at has two 10 mile runs as the longest, my brain is telling me this isn't long enough. My goal is just to finish in good shape with a smile on my face and I'm willing to run/walk. I have 3 runs scheduled per week.What are your thoughts?
I think 10 is good enough to get you there, but I like to run 14 as my max at least 1x . That means I would also run a couple of 12 milers.
2014-12-30 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

OK, I'm finally at a point where I can do this:

Name: cdban66/Chris/DubSix

STORY: I had been somewhat athletic in High School, playing soccer, beach volleyball and basketball, but that was a long time ago. Marriage, two children, business ownership, and the general busyness of life just got in the way. A number of years back I began going to the gym, lifting weights and such. Then, in late July, 2010, we had a family weight loss challenge. In order to lose, I began running. My youngest daughter suggested we run a race at Walt Disney World, so I began to prep for that and my oldest sister joined in as well. Before that race had happened, I began looking for more challenge/diversity, since I was enjoying the training. I had a friend who had been in tri’s a while back, he gave me his old bike and it grew from there. Now I try to race a few times a year and am beginning to push myself from "participant" to "racer". I'd like to see improvements this season and have put a few small things in place to do so.

STATUS: I am a 6’3”, 48 yr old male and I've been married for over 28 years. I have 2 girls, ages 24 and 26. My wife, Ann or TW (THE Wife), is the most wonderful person a man could have in his life and has been very supportive of this addition to my lifestyle.

CURRENT TRAINING: My primary focus is biking and running so I have begun to add more intensity. I enjoy riding with my LBS group and am looking for the same in running. I need to find a better focus for swim training. (This is the part where Janyne rolls her eyes and yells at me, mutters something about masters, and mentions that I have said this for the past 2 years)

LAST YEAR: The past few years have been somewhat skinny on racing, or should I say participating. I did a couple of races, but family/work/church obligations (there were many) took precedence, as they always do. My hope is to see time improvements from last year, especially in the run, and advances in my overall endurance fitness.

2014 RACES: I sprained an ankle pretty well in February of last year and everything there after was a bit challenging. I did the same local sprint races that I had in past years, with the second one being as a relay after an ankle flair up.

2015 GOALS: I am currently planning on a couple of run races in the early part of the year, with an HM in February being my primary run race this year. After that I hope to do about 3 or 4 sprint tris in the summer, maybe more if things go well. I have a number of them in the possibilities list and need to get things narrowed down a bit in the next few weeks

BODY COMP: As I mentioned above, this all started as part of a family weight loss challenge. I started at 240 lbs. At my lowest I had reached 207, which felt low for me. Currently I am about 220, with a goal weight of 210+/- for race season.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MANATEE: I am not the fastest, but I am supportive, upbeat, and really do want to be a better triathlete. I have built a single speed/fixie bike and a MTB, which have helped me on the mechanical side. I have an eye towards a tri bike build in the future. I read logs for info and motivation, post a bit and you will likely receive an "Inspire" or 2 from me every now and again.

2014-12-30 6:58 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK So for all you running peps when looking at a 20 week HM plan what would you expect your longest run to be? The plan I am looking at has two 10 mile runs as the longest, my brain is telling me this isn't long enough. My goal is just to finish in good shape with a smile on my face and I'm willing to run/walk. I have 3 runs scheduled per week. What are your thoughts?

It's not about the long run (unless you're doing a Galloway program). It is really about the accumulated, frequent, consistent running. Which HM are you planning on doing?

2014-12-30 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Did you hear the energizer bunny was arrested?

He was charged with battery.

2014-12-30 8:12 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Glad to hear you're taking care of your knee. It was a good reminder to me, too, that there is always time for the wise and healthy way.

2014-12-30 8:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I know so embarrassingly little about Google+ that I have no idea if this'll actually get you there, but for the new members, some really useful links ... such as the Manatee Bike Gallery (submit a pic of yours today!) and especially the Manatee Dictionary.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109453443945893510526

And if you feel like you sometimes don't know what's going on, you're in the right place. We rarely know what's going on either

2014-12-30 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Stacey, my take is that each plan I have followed has had more days running and a longer "longest" run.  I am also a pretty strong believer in the value of frequency and consistency.  My current plan has me at 5 days/12 mile longest.  My past plans have been 4 or 5 days a week and 11 or 12 mile longest run.  

But, each of us is different.  Look at your objectives closely.  Look at the time that you can invest.  Look at the intensity that you can train at.  Look at your mental fortitude.  When you analyze it all together, you'll get your answer.  I think it is entirely possible, strictly from a "can it be done" perspective.

2014-12-30 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

NAME: ponderingfox/foxy/Tom

STORY: I was always pretty athletic, and took to sports pretty naturally.  I was generally one of the faster people in a group.  I home schooled through high school and didn't play any sports, though in hindsight I would have loved to play soccer and done track/cross country. I view triathlon and running as a way to explore my athletic potential as I enter my thirties (I'm 31).  I've been dealing with various running injuries for the last four years and haven't been able to get to where I would like to go to yet.  I've had some good races and won my age group a time or two, but ultimately I'm racing myself and exploring my potential.  I WILL STAY HEALTHY THIS YEAR! I prefer short course triathlon and 5Ks.

FAMILY STATUS: Single with no pets (the no pets part makes me peculiar in this group)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm back on the bike and laying down base right now.  Running is coming along slowly as I recently finished PT, and am building up the miles slowly with frequent rest weeks.  I haven't done much swimming over the last few months due to work being super busy and getting in the way of masters.  But I believe that will turn around in the new year.  I have a good group I swim with.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: This is still in the works (keep an eye on my training log for details), but I'm looking at four or five early season 5Ks, doing an Oly series with a bid to win my age group, doing a four race series of Wednesday night tris, and finishing with fal 5Ks and maybe a century or two.

BODY COMPOSITION: 5'9" and 140.  I'm not very big and have always fallen into them, "you look like a runner" category.  I might go down slightly as my running fitness increases.

2014-12-30 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Glad to hear you're taking care of your knee. It was a good reminder to me, too, that there is always time for the wise and healthy way.

I'm not seeing that pic.  Try again?

Oh, haha, I see it as it came through email.  Nice.

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-12-30 8:28 AM
2014-12-30 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I know so embarrassingly little about Google+ that I have no idea if this'll actually get you there, but for the new members, some really useful links ... such as the Manatee Bike Gallery (submit a pic of yours today!) and especially the Manatee Dictionary.

And if you feel like you sometimes don't know what's going on, you're in the right place. We rarely know what's going on either

So I checked out the Manatee Bike Gallery this morning and noticed that Red Robber is still in there. What was the final prognosis after your last race?

2014-12-30 8:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by cdban66

So I checked out the Manatee Bike Gallery this morning and noticed that Red Robber is still in there. What was the final prognosis after your last race?

I left him in Perth and will use him as a trainer bike. He'll get a thorough checkup and assessment when I get back there on the 23rd; if all can be made well, he may go to Taiwan with me. If not, and depending on what the bike course there actually is, I may bring Tin Canny (Cannondale road bike).

I have nothing but good things to say about Polygon bikes. Best $490 I ever spent on tri gear. I have smashed the crap out of that frame time and time again and he just keeps on ticking. Of course, the frame is the only original thing still left

I don't actually remember the IMWA crash itself or the moments right after (which worries Stace Face), but an acquaintance of mine was at that aid station and she told me the first words out of my mouth were, "My poor bike!"

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54798 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.