United States
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 35s
Overall Rank = 680/1710
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 62/99
Pre-race routine:

Same as usual. Wake up around 4:30, have a bagel and water, then into the van with TW. Got parked easily in the Van Wezel parking lot, a few steps from the start line. From there it was off to the packet pickup, stopped at the porta-potties, and back to the van to get dressed. Waited around for my running partner/sister.
Event warmup:

Waited around for sis, who was in the by now extra long porta potty line. A few stretches, but not really all that much.
Run
  • 2h 14m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I enjoyed most everything about this race. My issues were mine and mine alone. 1) I was reminded that seeding matters, as I started way too far back and fought traffic/walkers for the first mile or 2. Too much zig zag. 2) Coming out of Selby I had a water intake issue. Can't drink with your lungs, big fellow. I am a man, not a fish :) 3) Mental collapse a short while thereafter, when it became apparent that my time goal was not going to be met.

Now there is good, and lots of it. My effort level was better than anything previous, up until mile 11 or so. Fuel plan was on point with a Hammer Montana Huckleberry at the end of mile 5, right before the water station. From the start of the bridge to the end of the Botanical Gardens was well done. And speaking of Selby, what a bonus to get to run through there!! It was completely beautiful and well placed in the course from a crowd control perspective. The crowd had broken up by mile 10, so it was easy to get through there with little issue. Overall, I had very little issue and was able to keep a pretty good pace. In fact, I believe mile 8 was one of my better splits. My training included a couple of wonky muscle issues, but I worked through it intelligently and improved. It was still a PR, so how bad could it be?!? I still enjoy training and want to see more improvements.
What would you do differently?:

Try not to breathe like a fish? Seed myself better at the start? Wear shoes that fit better? Yes, the PI's are done, I ran 1 season too many and my ever changing feet no longer fit in them. Lesson learned, the Zoot's have been ordered.
Post race
Warm down:

Wander through the post race party area, eat a bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. But in the end, I do have to say this was a good race for me. I continue to see improvements, both in training and in race day performance.

Event comments:

I have to give them Kudos. This is an inaugural event and it was spot on. Well run from start to finish. The bands were all different, and all fun, especially the band between the bridge and St Armands. Soul Sensation was a real good high energy act. The post run party food was one of the best spreads I have ever seen at a race. The only thing holding them back from a 5 is if there are more Porta Potties.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:14:35 | 13.1 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/99
Overall: 0/1710
Performance: Good
Course: Out of the Van Wezel parking lot to St Armands by way of the Ringling Bridge, around the circle and back. Then a right onto 41 and head south to the Cherokee Park neighborhood. Leave that by way of Selby Botanical Gardens and head back to Van Wezel, with a short jog to the left to get under the Ringling Bridge and to the other side of the highway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-02-10 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: Sarasota Music Half Marathon

2015-02-10 9:53 AM
in reply to: #5092172

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Sarasota Music Half Marathon

Great job Chris.  Sounds like it was a great event and wonderful day.  I also think that is cool that you got to share it all with your sis.  I've done a lot of events with family and that makes it all the more special.  Congrats.

2015-02-10 1:58 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Orlando

That is such a great area to run in - I'm jealous! You did wonderfully - a PR, race execution at about 90%, recognition of things to work on, done with family, and had a good time doing it all!!  So congratulations!  I hope you love your Zoots as much as I love mine.

2015-02-10 2:07 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

A PR at such a beautiful venue! Way to go! 

2015-02-10 4:40 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm just going to stare at the beautiful scenery of where you ran...green...lush...vibrant...ahhhhhh...

*snapping back to the task at hand*  Oh! Hey, hi!  The race may not have been quite everything you wanted but it sounds like it was a lot of what you wanted.  Seeding - well, that can be tough.  Drinking water with your lungs - well, that's a bad idea!   Running a solid race and finishing in the top half of entrants sounds good to me.  Great job, Chris, keep working hard and keep those hammies happy!  So cool that you and your wife enjoy these events together.

2015-02-11 7:06 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Congratulations on your PR Chris.
I feel you're being a bit hard on yourself, you've done well. In your own admission, not as well as you could have, but still, it's a PR.

Seems you had a bit of a mind game on that race. Starting with the late arrival, to the poor seeding, you didn't set yourself up for your time target that you were aiming for. But hey, those are easily fixed things. Just get to the race earlier and seed yourself better. Done

As for the time target. I feel that once you realized you weren't going to make your target you felt defeated. Which is ridiculous if you think about it
I mean, it was an arbitrary number imposed on yourself by you. Once you made a few mistakes, mentioned above, at the start of the race, it becomes increasingly harder for you to hit that target.
I now try to have 4 aims/targets to my race from now on.
i.e. A platinum target - sub xx:xx ( a target if all goes exactly as planned with no mishaps and is realistic to what I've been training for).
A Gold target - New PR. An increase in my grading %.
A Silver target - An increase in my grading % within my AG.
A Bronze target - To complete the training and race with no/minimal injuries.
At least this way if things do not go to plan on race day (a mechanical, nutrition issues etc) then I can slide my goals and still achieve something I've set out to do.

All the best, Darren.

2015-02-11 11:22 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, CO

Yay, Chris!!  Nice job on the PR and what a beautiful venue.  As others have said, you learned some lessons, you PR'd, and your body didn't hold you back due to intelligent training.  Sounds like a pretty darned good race.  Keep up the good work and enjoy your new shoes. 

2015-02-11 11:58 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Congratulations on your PR Chris. I feel you're being a bit hard on yourself, you've done well. In your own admission, not as well as you could have, but still, it's a PR. Seems you had a bit of a mind game on that race. Starting with the late arrival, to the poor seeding, you didn't set yourself up for your time target that you were aiming for. But hey, those are easily fixed things. Just get to the race earlier and seed yourself better. Done As for the time target. I feel that once you realized you weren't going to make your target you felt defeated. Which is ridiculous if you think about it I mean, it was an arbitrary number imposed on yourself by you. Once you made a few mistakes, mentioned above, at the start of the race, it becomes increasingly harder for you to hit that target. I now try to have 4 aims/targets to my race from now on. i.e. A platinum target - sub xx:xx ( a target if all goes exactly as planned with no mishaps and is realistic to what I've been training for). A Gold target - New PR. An increase in my grading %. A Silver target - An increase in my grading % within my AG. A Bronze target - To complete the training and race with no/minimal injuries. At least this way if things do not go to plan on race day (a mechanical, nutrition issues etc) then I can slide my goals and still achieve something I've set out to do. All the best, Darren.

Really, really solid advice by Darren. Time goals truly are arbitrary and they need to be flexible, always. There are just way, way too many variables.

A PR is a fantastic accomplishment. After all, bettering ourselves is the ultimate goal.

Finally, warm up!!

2015-02-12 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So what have we learned? Don't inhale the water, hit the porta-loo early, seed yourself closer to the front, yada yada yada

You PR'd and had what most would consider to be a successful race. Quit beatin' ya-self up about it and enjoy the journey.

Oh, and the IG/FB pix were hawt

2015-03-02 7:19 AM

Master
Northern IL

Nice going Chris! That does look like a nice area to run through!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sarasota Music Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sarasota Music Half Marathon

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1699 Posts: 7

2015-02-10 12:26 PM cwpeters

Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run - Half Marathon

Started by jimmy raybon
Views: 1392 Posts: 2

2008-03-02 6:56 PM tbctbc

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 1149 Posts: 1

2007-04-29 2:11 PM SSMinnow

Started by empyre180
Views: 1822 Posts: 7

2007-03-25 10:59 AM mlbwalk

Started by tcodol
Views: 1401 Posts: 2

2007-03-22 8:32 AM marymosc13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.