of 4

2015-03-09 2:49 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Aero Wheels 101

Originally posted by GAUG3

I'm thinking about getting the disc cover from WB.  Will this crack pipe work?  http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressure-Presta-Valve-Adapter/dp/B00GKH49GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425928807&sr=8-1&keywords=silca+adapter  The Silca adapter on their site is $32.

My Bontrager floor pump works well enough with their cover.  I've never needed a crack pipe.

2015-03-09 3:17 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by msteiner

I'm thinking about getting the disc cover from WB.  Will this crack pipe work?  http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressure-Presta-Valve-Adapter/dp/B00GKH49GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425928807&sr=8-1&keywords=silca+adapter  The Silca adapter on their site is $32.

My Bontrager floor pump works well enough with their cover.  I've never needed a crack pipe.

I'm thinking during a race.

2015-03-09 3:20 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

For racing, my advice is to find a CO2 chuck that will work without a crack pipe.  Most of them will as their head is much smaller than a floor pump.  

2015-03-09 3:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Jason N

For racing, my advice is to find a CO2 chuck that will work without a crack pipe.  Most of them will as their head is much smaller than a floor pump.  

This.  Giant makes a good one. 

2015-03-10 2:47 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

DC

Does it only have one use?
2015-03-10 8:07 PM
in reply to: Donto

Originally posted by Donto

3mar, you should be careful and make sure you are not including any comparison test that includes using a Butyl tube, also watch out for clincher (C) vs tubulars (T).  There are only 4 GP4000s listings on the main sheet (2-20c and 2-23c, one of which is with Butyl) and you show 5 tires.  I thought he also tested a 25c GP4000s but don't see it listed.

Another way of looking at the data, just sort the tires in lowest to highest Crr and look at/plot only those from 25W and less per/2-tires at 30kph (why go higher for racing) and then you'll see that most are wider tires.  If I counted correctly, there are 20 clinchers (removing tubs and out of production tires) of which 3 are less than 22mm in measured width and 6 are less than 23mm in measured width.

I thought it would have been a good data point to include a column in the SS to denote is a tire had built in puncture belt.  He thought about adding it but in the end said he'd leave that decision to the user as some tires are stated clearly and others leave you guessing if it does or not.  If you knew one offered better protection at the same Crr maybe you'd go with one over the over, e.g. Conti Supersonic 20c vs. GP4000s 23c.  In this example the GP4000 is less aero due to the width but again that's up to the user to decide. 

I thinking about switching my race day tires to the Attack/Force combo. Should offer better aero on the front at the same Crr and the fatty in the back doesn't matter for aero but offers muchless Crr.

Sorry to the OP taking over this thread with tire discussion!

Dude, it's all good info, tires are attached to the rims, it goes hand and hand

2015-03-10 8:15 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

After doing much reading, I have given this some thought. I am watching Ebay and this site for a Flo 60/90 combo. However as I look I really question what will benefit me the most. I currently use trainer road and before that inRide and beofre that KK power meter. Once on the road I did not have a power meter and just rode howver I could. So after reading alot of this, I think I would actually get the most bang for my buck out of a power meter. I do thank you all the input on this thread and if those wheel pop up, well impulse buy time.

Time to start the power meter thread

Joe
2015-03-11 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Puppetmaster After doing much reading, I have given this some thought. I am watching Ebay and this site for a Flo 60/90 combo. However as I look I really question what will benefit me the most. I currently use trainer road and before that inRide and beofre that KK power meter. Once on the road I did not have a power meter and just rode howver I could. So after reading alot of this, I think I would actually get the most bang for my buck out of a power meter. I do thank you all the input on this thread and if those wheel pop up, well impulse buy time. Time to start the power meter thread Joe

I'm still honeymooning with my power meter.  Started training with power since December.  I feel it has been a game changer for me.

2015-03-11 10:15 AM

User image

If you are only interested in race wheels for triathlons then the answer is simple.  Look for a used powertap laced into a training wheel.  Should be around 350-400. Buy a disc cover for it for about 100 bucks.  Buy a Flo60 front...and you're done. 

2015-03-11 12:30 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I have spent the last two days researching (obsessively googling) all about this and I think I now know enough to be a danger to myself and maybe others. I'm left with some questions that, if you all can answer, I'll be eternally greatful. I was sold on the flo front and disc cover back, but the lack of Flo availability sent me looking for other alternatives. That brings me to question 1:

1. Chinese manufacterers. Super cheap full carbon and the only negatives I've found searching this and other forums are from people that don't actually own them. I wasn't able to find any first hand horror stories, just a lot of people saying they *must* be crappy, they're 1/5th the price. Yet there are tons of people that own them that say they're fine. I'm still nervous though. So anyone have a first hand horror story?

2. Depth; is it bigger is better? Do I just go straight to the 88's? What are the decision factors?

3. U vs V shape. From what I've read, V is slightly better in a direct head wind and unstable everywhere else, which is why everyone is going U. I found some 88's (but need help on #2) that are somewhere in between but at 88, any shape differences are a bit lost anyway. So, does shape matter as much at larger sizes?

I had others but forgot them and my plane is boarding so I have to go. Thanks in advance for any help.
2015-03-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by 3mar I have spent the last two days researching (obsessively googling) all about this and I think I now know enough to be a danger to myself and maybe others. I'm left with some questions that, if you all can answer, I'll be eternally greatful. I was sold on the flo front and disc cover back, but the lack of Flo availability sent me looking for other alternatives. That brings me to question 1: 

1. Chinese manufacterers. Super cheap full carbon and the only negatives I've found searching this and other forums are from people that don't actually own them. I wasn't able to find any first hand horror stories, just a lot of people saying they *must* be crappy, they're 1/5th the price. Yet there are tons of people that own them that say they're fine. I'm still nervous though. So anyone have a first hand horror story? 

2. Depth; is it bigger is better? Do I just go straight to the 88's? What are the decision factors? 

3. U vs V shape. From what I've read, V is slightly better in a direct head wind and unstable everywhere else, which is why everyone is going U. I found some 88's (but need help on #2) that are somewhere in between but at 88, any shape differences are a bit lost anyway. So, does shape matter as much at larger sizes? 

I had others but forgot them and my plane is boarding so I have to go. Thanks in advance for any help. 

1.  I'm currently racing with Chinese carbon 38s on my Venge (the bike in my avatar).  So far they work fantastic.  

2.  For TT/Tri I'd go as deep as possible.  Last year I rode a FLO 90 front and a disc cover.

3. Shape matters some.  U shape seems to test better in general, so I'd lean towards that if given a choice.  Either is better than an alloy rim.

2015-03-11 3:49 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by 3mar

3. U vs V shape. From what I've read, V is slightly better in a direct head wind and unstable everywhere else, which is why everyone is going U. I found some 88's (but need help on #2) that are somewhere in between but at 88, any shape differences are a bit lost anyway. So, does shape matter as much at larger sizes?

1. Just make sure you buy from a reputable seller (Far Sport, Yoeleo, Light Bicycle, Carbon Speedcycle, etc.) that has a return policy in case you do get a defective rim (which happens).

2. Bigger is faster, but more of a handful in crosswinds. If you have to come out of aero to deal with handling issues, then you lose the aero advantage of a deeper wheel (i.e. a 60 that keeps you in aero is faster than a 90 where you have to come out of aero). Having a disc in the rear seems to help stabilize the front.

3. Modern torroidal shapes are generally faster than old deep-v shapes at all angles, and are more stable in crosswinds. Old deep-v wheels also tend to be narrow (20-21mm) whereas newer shapes tend to be wider (23-25mm) which enables you to use wider tires (which have a lower rolling resistance) that will still mate up well with the rim and give you further aero advantage. There is no good reason to go with deep-v other than price.
2015-03-12 5:06 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Katy, Texas
Guys, thanks, I appreciate the input and pulled the trigger on a set of wheels. So, last question; do I need to upgrade my tires? I've heard a lot of good things about GP4000's but I want to know if I need them. I currently have the stock tires that came with my Felt which are 700x23 Vitorria Zaffiro Slicks. Are those good enough or do I need to upgrade. That particular tire wasn't on the list of tires on the link referenced earlier in the thread.
2015-03-12 5:14 PM

User image

A good set of tires and tubes (latex) will probably save you close to the same amount of time due to improved rolling resistance as your wheels will due to aerodynamics.  So yes, if your interest is going as fast as possible then you absolutely should select the fastest tire/tube combination you can.  Bang for your buck, it's one of the first things everyone should do.

2015-03-12 5:16 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

A good set of tires and tubes (latex) will probably save you close to the same amount of time due to improved rolling resistance as your wheels will due to aerodynamics.  So yes, if your interest is going as fast as possible then you absolutely should select the fastest tire/tube combination you can.  Bang for your buck, it's one of the first things everyone should do.

So I'm guessing the stock felt wheels don't fall into that category. So GP4000s sound like the winner. Any recommendations on specific tubes?
2015-03-12 5:46 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

So I'm guessing the stock felt wheels don't fall into that category. So GP4000s sound like the winner. Any recommendations on specific tubes?
I have used Michelin's but are impossible to find as I think they stopped making them.  I now use Bontrager latex as a few of the LBS carry them a few $ cheaper than what's listed on the website (at least they did!)

2015-03-12 6:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have used both Vittoria and Michellin latex tubes.  The main difference between the two is that if you use valve extenders (you most likely will need to if your rims are deeper than 30 mm) the Vittorias has a removable core and the Michelins do not.  So it just depends on what type of extender you rather use.

The non removable cores are nice in a sense that the extender will not be a point of failure as far as holding air in the tube.  Once they are pumped up, you can actually remove the extender and use it on another tube if you want.  This is good for if you flat, and you need an extender on your spare.  Just screw it off the old tube and screw it on the new one.  No need to have extenders already prepped on your spares unless you really want to.  You can screw on the extender easily by hand.

The downside is that you need to make sure you have a tight seal (use plumbers tape) when screwing them on...otherwise air won't go in properly.  It's not that hard to get it right, but if you're in a rush changing a flat and it isn't screwed on tight, most of the air from your C02 will leak out while inflating.  Also, since it's just screw on and hand tight, it is possible for them to come a little loose.  Again, it won't impact the ability for the tube to hold air already in it...you just have to sometimes check to make sure it is tight before trying to put more air in.

The removable core tubes extender basically acts how a normal tube would with the presta valve on the end.  It takes a little more effort (and usually a tool) to get the extender on tight with a good seal (also use plumbers tape).  This seal is critical though because it is a point of failure for holding air in the tube, but once you have it on right, you shouldn't have to worry about it.  Unlike the screw on extenders, you cannot remove them or loosen them without all the air coming out of the tube.  If you get a flat and need a spare, your spare will either need to be long valved, or you already have an extender on it.  It would be a huge PITA to remove and replace a removable core extender from one tube to another on the side of the road.  Also, you have to make sure to take the flat tube home with you so you can remove the extender and save it for future use.  Don't be like me and forget...and throw the whole flat tube away with the extender.  With a screw on extender, it's a lot easier to unscrew on the spot by hand and put it in your pocket, then throw the tube away.

The additional benefit of removable core extenders is that when you remove the core, you can add sealant into the tube if you wish.  You can't do this with tubes that don't have a removable core.  Sealant can help protect you against small punctures and doesn't seem to impact rolling resistance.

Edited by Jason N 2015-03-12 6:13 PM
2015-03-12 7:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Oakville

I've been using Michelin latex tubes from probikekit.com:

http://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-inner-tubes/michelin-a1-aircomp-latex-road-inner-tube/10782220.html

Delivery can take time, so order well in advance of your race.

I've read a few posts complaining that latex tubes are delicate and are prone to pinch flats when installing or inflating, but I personally have never had a problem.

The tubes are bright green so its fairly easy to make sure its properly seated in the tire before you inflate.

ETA - note that latex deflates much quicker than butyl tubes so don't be alarmed if they're soft or even flat within a few days.  If you have to rack your bike the night before, be sure that you have a pump handy on race morning.

Also, I don't believe that C02 will work with latex tubes, so your spare should be butyl.

Edited by Scott71 2015-03-12 7:38 PM
2015-03-12 8:16 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

I have used both Vittoria and Michellin latex tubes.  The main difference between the two is that if you use valve extenders (you most likely will need to if your rims are deeper than 30 mm) the Vittorias has a removable core and the Michelins do not.  So it just depends on what type of extender you rather use.

The non removable cores are nice in a sense that the extender will not be a point of failure as far as holding air in the tube.  Once they are pumped up, you can actually remove the extender and use it on another tube if you want.  This is good for if you flat, and you need an extender on your spare.  Just screw it off the old tube and screw it on the new one.  No need to have extenders already prepped on your spares unless you really want to.  You can screw on the extender easily by hand.

The downside is that you need to make sure you have a tight seal (use plumbers tape) when screwing them on...otherwise air won't go in properly.  It's not that hard to get it right, but if you're in a rush changing a flat and it isn't screwed on tight, most of the air from your C02 will leak out while inflating.  Also, since it's just screw on and hand tight, it is possible for them to come a little loose.  Again, it won't impact the ability for the tube to hold air already in it...you just have to sometimes check to make sure it is tight before trying to put more air in.

The removable core tubes extender basically acts how a normal tube would with the presta valve on the end.  It takes a little more effort (and usually a tool) to get the extender on tight with a good seal (also use plumbers tape).  This seal is critical though because it is a point of failure for holding air in the tube, but once you have it on right, you shouldn't have to worry about it.  Unlike the screw on extenders, you cannot remove them or loosen them without all the air coming out of the tube.  If you get a flat and need a spare, your spare will either need to be long valved, or you already have an extender on it.  It would be a huge PITA to remove and replace a removable core extender from one tube to another on the side of the road.  Also, you have to make sure to take the flat tube home with you so you can remove the extender and save it for future use.  Don't be like me and forget...and throw the whole flat tube away with the extender.  With a screw on extender, it's a lot easier to unscrew on the spot by hand and put it in your pocket, then throw the tube away.

The additional benefit of removable core extenders is that when you remove the core, you can add sealant into the tube if you wish.  You can't do this with tubes that don't have a removable core.  Sealant can help protect you against small punctures and doesn't seem to impact rolling resistance.

Dude, this post just saved me untold amounts of frustration and time. Big thanks. I think I like the idea of the non removable core. I'm all about limiting points of failure.
2015-03-12 8:20 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Scott71

I've been using Michelin latex tubes from probikekit.com:

http://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-inner-tubes/michelin-a1-aircomp-latex-road-inner-tube/10782220.html

Delivery can take time, so order well in advance of your race.

I've read a few posts complaining that latex tubes are delicate and are prone to pinch flats when installing or inflating, but I personally have never had a problem.

The tubes are bright green so its fairly easy to make sure its properly seated in the tire before you inflate.

ETA - note that latex deflates much quicker than butyl tubes so don't be alarmed if they're soft or even flat within a few days.  If you have to rack your bike the night before, be sure that you have a pump handy on race morning.

Also, I don't believe that C02 will work with latex tubes, so your spare should be butyl.

Yikes. I'm glad I read that since I don't carry a hand pump, just CO2. So Butyl spares and latex on the bike. Thanks.
2015-03-13 3:15 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

CO2 will work fine in a latex tube in the sense that it won't immediately deflate, it will just lose pressure faster than air.  So if you were in a situation where you needed to finish a race or ride it would work fine, you'll just have to reinflate it for the next ride.  However there is no way I would want to change a flat on the side of the road using a latex tube, it's way to easy to rush and end up pinching the tube and immediately popping the tube.  One of the most horrific sounds you will ever hear is your $12 latex tube going POP-Pfffffftttt about 2 seconds after inflation.

2015-03-13 7:37 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Guys, thanks, I appreciate the input and pulled the trigger on a set of wheels. So, last question; do I need to upgrade my tires? I've heard a lot of good things about GP4000's but I want to know if I need them. I currently have the stock tires that came with my Felt which are 700x23 Vitorria Zaffiro Slicks. Are those good enough or do I need to upgrade. That particular tire wasn't on the list of tires on the link referenced earlier in the thread.

I have those same stock tires on my stock felt wheels which I use for training. Last year I figured those tire require about 15 watts more power input to go the same speed as my conti 4000s tire I have mounted on a similar pair of rims. If I put one set on and ride a loop switch and put the other set on I can absolutely feel the difference.
2015-03-13 7:55 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by axteraa

CO2 will work fine in a latex tube in the sense that it won't immediately deflate, it will just lose pressure faster than air.  So if you were in a situation where you needed to finish a race or ride it would work fine, you'll just have to reinflate it for the next ride.  However there is no way I would want to change a flat on the side of the road using a latex tube, it's way to easy to rush and end up pinching the tube and immediately popping the tube.  One of the most horrific sounds you will ever hear is your $12 latex tube going POP-Pfffffftttt about 2 seconds after inflation.

Or the BANG you hear 3 pedal strokes after you thought you installed it correctly....

2015-03-13 8:01 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
With the understanding that "worth it" is a relative term, is it worth it to use a disc cover on a training wheel if I don't also have an aero front wheel? Is the aero benefit significant enough to justify even the relatively meager cost of the cover if I'm using a standard front wheel?
2015-03-13 8:17 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn With the understanding that "worth it" is a relative term, is it worth it to use a disc cover on a training wheel if I don't also have an aero front wheel? Is the aero benefit significant enough to justify even the relatively meager cost of the cover if I'm using a standard front wheel?

Anyone who doesn't have a rear disc should be riding a disc cover.  They're giving up speed otherwise.  They cost about $90, which is peanuts in the cycling world.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Wheels 101 Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Wheel cover with non-aero front wheel?

Started by link5485
Views: 1236 Posts: 7

2010-10-24 3:58 PM ditchdoc

Aero Wheels versus Light Wheels

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 5470 Posts: 24

2010-02-13 3:43 PM dscottmd

Aero helmet v. aero wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by wdpresta
Views: 5699 Posts: 32

2009-02-26 4:15 PM smilford

Aero helmet without Aero wheels?

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1784 Posts: 9

2008-07-04 10:58 PM jeffy_101

Aero Helmet vs. Aero Wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri-Atlanta
Views: 3580 Posts: 27

2006-08-02 6:10 AM Daz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : daveo1101
comments : 4
Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.