General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Funny things kids say - tri edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-05-29 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Funny things kids say - tri edition

So, the other morning I was reading a Triathlon magazine and my toddler came and looked at it and pointed to a picture of Samantha McGlone, a former pro triathlete, in her kit and obviously racing and said 'Mommy' 

I think it's kind of cool that she associates that with me - and a little embarrassed because i am really not even close to a pro triathlete - it definitely made me laugh, thought ! 

What funny things have your kids come out with about your tri-life? 

2015-05-29 3:54 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Funny things kids say - tri edition

My daughter will see a skinny bald man and ask me if he is a triathlete (does seem to be a lot of us in the sport).

She heard me discussing a younger triathlete that recently did a road race and won with a 5:30 minute pace. She told me to keep training and I would get that fast. After laughing, I told her Daddy's fast days are in the past (age 51).
2015-05-29 5:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not a parent but I teach elementary school (Grade 5).

*Once at the beginning of the year I told the kids I had done a half-ironman tri over the summer. As I was getting ready to explain what that meant, one of the kids made the comment, "That's so lame to just do HALF of a race."

*A student went home and told his parents I was a professional triathlete. (I'd won my AG in an aquathlon, and gotten about $300 in cash and another few hundred worth of merchandise. I'd actually shared that information as part of a math lesson on negative numbers--How much I spent on the race in tickets, hotel, fees vs. how much I won. Had I included all my races and training expenses, the answer would be even more in the red!)

*A student told me his dad had done "Lots of ironman races" in Taiwan. I was interested in IM Taiwan 70.3, so asked the dad about it after the conference. Turned out Dad had done a couple of sprints.

*And every last time, no matter if there's 20 women in the pro field and I'm just a 40-something age-grouper, "Did you win?" The best part of my tri "career" has been the two times I've been able to say, "Yes." My students don't care that they were pretty small races where nobody very good showed up. They only care that their teacher won, and that they can see the horrible race pictures.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-29 5:48 PM
2015-05-29 5:55 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Seattle

I was volunteering at a triathlon and this kid was on the shore with his dad, watching his mom on the swim. As she was about to come out of the water the dad says to the boy, "Hey, let's hurry over and watch the transition!" The boy drags his feet and says VERY enthusiastically, "Ughhhhhh can we just go? I don't want to watch mom lose AGAIN."

2015-05-29 6:24 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

These are hilarious, I love this thread already

2015-05-29 8:04 PM

New user

I'm newish to the sport, but a few summers ago on a century ride with my friend, we passed some kids playing outside who asked, totally serious, "Wow. Are you guys biking a WHOLE marathon?" Close, but not quite. :D

2015-05-29 8:21 PM
in reply to: hanmeg03

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
A few years back I was in bike to run transition of a 70.3, and struggling a bit to say the least. My youngest, around 5 at the time, yelled from the side " Hurry up dad, mom says we can get pizza if you ever finish"! Made me chuckle, unfortunately didn't help my run, but it was the best pizza I ever had!
2015-05-29 8:45 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Not a kid, but when I was first getting into racing my mom asked me if I was going to try to win my marathon. And was insulted when I burst out laughing.

At my next race she asked, "Now, this race is just a marathon, not a triathlon?" Yes, mom, "just" a marathon.
2015-05-29 8:49 PM
in reply to: #5118975

Centennial, Colorado
My oldest daughter calls my tri suit a leotard. Actually she calls it my "Leo".
2015-05-29 10:37 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Oh wow, I love these!

I'm training for IMAZ this year and other than my talking about the race and watching Kona coverage, they don't quite grasp the concept of how long it is. My oldest:

Him: Mommy, how long do you have to finish?

Me: I have 17 hours so until midnight.

Him: Well, make sure it doesn't take you that long. We will be waiting for you all day and will be tired.

Me: Ok, I'll try
2015-05-30 6:06 AM
in reply to: #5119063

Hickory, North Carolina
My 6 year old at his first kids tri stopped at the run aid station just yards from the finish. Why did you stop to drink I said, his reply "With all those cups on the ground I knew I wasn't going to win" Our new motto "No cups on the ground"

2015-05-30 7:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not my child but my mother.....

She yells strange things when I'm in T2. In a HIM, "Run like a bat out of h....!" and, when I was heading out for the run in a local sprint tri, "You'd better hurry up!" I had no idea what she meant as I was exiting transition at that point, so she was't talking about my clumsy efforts there. Assumed she meant I was not far behind....some significant place. First? Second? Third? She doesn't understand how to figure age groups from numbers, so it had to be overall. So I ran like a bat out of h.... only to pass no women in the next 5 km. Turns out I was second overall, and the woman who won had had a six-minute lead on me coming out of T2. Uh, Mom, that would have been close to a 15 minute 5K to take the win?! Hurry up indeed!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-30 7:05 AM
2015-05-30 5:42 PM
in reply to: #5118975

My 7 year old daughter asked me: " How long is your run today daddy?" I said: "1 hour" she says in response "that's not so bad right?" I told her it was two TV shows long and she says "wow that's a long time"-perspective is the lesson of the day
2015-05-31 8:44 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
My 3yo daughter regularly askes "is it a run day or a bike day daddy?" she even does her own versions in the house - asking if she wants to go for a cycle I'm often met with "don't be silly Daddy - its a run day!"
2015-06-01 8:33 AM
in reply to: mchughmtsinai

User image

This thread is hilarious, I love it

My first tri a couple of summers ago, there were families cheering us on from their lawns and spraying sprinklers and hoses at us. I heard a kid ask his dad "Why are these people all the way in the back?" I was going to call over something to say like, because the fast dudes get to start first, but his dad said "well, these are the slow people." I was less than happy with dad's explanation.
2015-06-01 11:55 AM
in reply to: anneozzy

User image

Cypress, Texas

After training for 4 months I realized that my daughters (3 yo/5 yo) probably had no idea I was even training for anything since my weekday works out are done either before they wake up in the morning or over my lunch break from work when they would never see me anyways.  So... I decided to start telling them what I was doing so they would be interested in comping to my race and watching.  I took to the garage where my mysterious new orange bike was at and told them that it was part of a race I was going to be doing and even went out and rode it with them while they were on their hot wheels a few times so they could see it doesn't just sit in the garage all the time.  I showed them my elastic shoe laces on my running shoes (which my two oldest both happen to have on their shoes too) and shoe and showed them how fast I could put my shoes on.  When I came to breakfast 1-2 hours late on Saturday morning wearing strange stretchy cloths and a bike helmet I would tell them that I getting ready for my race. etc.  When my wet suit arrived in the mail I tried it on and went to show my daughters.  I knew my oldest was starting catch on when she asked is that for your "Triefflephon"?

2015-06-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: mchughmtsinai

When my youngest kid was 2.5 or 3 he would yell "streamline" when ever we took his shirt off of him. I credit sitting through 1 too many of his brother's swim team practices more so than triathlons but seems appropriate for this thread.
2015-06-01 1:40 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Pennsylvania

Funny words from an adult child of our neighbor - we were over sitting by their pool on Memorial Day and the 21 year old was listening as her mother asked me about distances in my upcoming HIM.  I explained the answer, and the daughter asked, "Do you have to do them in any particular order?"  I tried hard not to laugh as I imagined the chaos that would result in people doing the disciplines in whatever order they desired.

2015-06-01 1:45 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I tried on my wetsuit in the house and my 4 year old said "whoa! Daddy looks like Batman." I then proceeded to find his batman mask, and had way too much fun until I started to melt.
2015-06-01 10:55 PM
in reply to: #5119201

Bismarck, ND
Last summer, my daughter road her bike with me while I went running. Half way through she says to me, "mom, I thought you said you go running".

That same "run", she asked me why you don't have to wear a helmet when you go running. I told her that you aren't going very fast when you run. She said, "well, some people run
2015-06-01 10:56 PM
in reply to: #5119201

Bismarck, ND
Last summer, my daughter road her bike with me while I went running. Half way through she says to me, "mom, I thought you said you go running".

That same "run", she asked me why you don't have to wear a helmet when you go running. I told her that you aren't going very fast when you run. She said, "well, SOME people run fast".

2015-06-02 9:08 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Montreal, Quebec
seen on a kid's t-shirt

Hebergeur d'image
2015-06-02 9:22 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Elite

A few years ago I was setting up in transition and my younger daughter Olivia, around 7 at the time, was watching everybody rack their bikes.  When I finally rejoined them she said to me, very enthusiastically, "Mom!  I saw a few people I think you can beat!"

At another tri I was walking around the start with my older daughter, then at the age of 13 or so, was beginning to appreciate the, uh, male form.  At one point a group of young men walked by with their wetsuits 1/2 way on.  She grabbed my arm and said "Mom!  That guy had an EIGHT PACK!"

2015-06-02 12:09 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

This one's cycling specific.

Several years ago I was watching the TDF with my daughter who must have been around 9 at the time. She was really interested, which I thought was cool.

She actually had a bunch of funny questions and comments - she insisted that I was as fast as the guys racing, she asked if anyone could just join in and thought it would be a fast way to get somewhere if you could.

But the best one came when I was explained some of the details to her, including that the leader wears a yellow jersey.

She thought about that for a minute or two and then asked "How do they switch?" - obviously thinking that the leader was the rider at the front at that moment, and if someone passed him they had to trade jerseys.

2015-06-02 1:31 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by melbo55 "Do you have to do them in any particular order?"  I tried hard not to laugh as I imagined the chaos that would result in people doing the disciplines in whatever order they desired.

Now THAT sounds like a cool race! Hm...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Funny things kids say - tri edition Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Funny things tired kids say...

Started by KateTri1
Views: 2320 Posts: 13

2012-09-04 7:11 AM QueenZipp

Kids say the darndest things

Started by leftrunner
Views: 1726 Posts: 19

2010-10-20 8:07 AM cggale

Funny things kids say...

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1111 Posts: 13

2009-10-17 9:33 PM Pector55

When kids say the darndest things

Started by cmbcwb3
Views: 1395 Posts: 19

2007-05-24 8:48 AM kvesey

Kids say the darndest things...

Started by Colomingle
Views: 1042 Posts: 15

2005-07-14 11:31 AM Zilla
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.