United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 46s
Overall Rank = 7/328
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Could not sleep very well the night before. Finally got to sleep about midnight and then was awake at 0440. Got up at 0530, showered, ate a Nutrigrain bar, then met my brother at a small restaurant for pancakes and 1 cup of coffee. Back to the condo for last minute prep then walked my bike and gear down to transition. Drank small amounts of water every 10-15 minutes all morning to stay hydrated. The high temp this day was 100 degrees and during the race it was already in the 80's so hydration was a big deal.
Event warmup:

Got to transition early enough to get a prime spot so that helped with transition times. Got numbered and timing chips then went for a short bike ride to warm up. Stretched, chatted with other athletes, short swim warmup and then it was race time.
Swim
  • 09m 23s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did the swim pretty slow on purpose after going out way to fast on my last race. Started out at a really easy pace then picked it up the last 200m or so. Felt like I could have gone considerably faster but that's ok. I was relaxed the whole time and felt a lot better than my first race.
What would you do differently?:

Could go 30-45 seconds faster without any problems.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Felt pretty slow in T1 for some reason. One problem was I put my shirt on backward to start with and that didn't help things! Took a bit to get my left foot clipped in the pedal too. The race did not allow running with your bike in transition so that slowed things a bit as well.

Not put my shirt on backward!!
Bike
  • 32m 15s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a really fun ride. There were 3 of us who pretty much stuck together for about the last 8 miles of the race. One guy was on a Tri bike and was a touch faster on the flat, the other guy would inch ahead on the downhills, and I had them both on the uphills. It was really a lot of fun!

Nothing. The ride was very good.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

T2 was pretty good. Legs felt fairly good as soon as I got off the bike so that was a plus.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile felt pretty slow, catching my breath after the bike and getting my running legs under me. Passed one runner and got passed by two. Last two miles felt pretty good but it was getting pretty hot by then.

Try to get over my little mental block and start the run faster. Felt like I could have run faster. Started off slower than I probably could have.
Post race
Warm down:

Went back out on the course and ran the last half mile with my brother which was pretty cool. Then we went for a short swim in the cool lake, ate a banana, chatted, cheered other athletes, and generally had a great day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Could have done the swim faster and should have started the run a bit faster. Overall pretty happy with the race.

Event comments:

Won my AG!! I was really happy with that result as well as the 7th overall. My brother was 3rd in AG and 38th overall in his first race so it was great sharing this day with him. Had a very fun race!
This was a really cool event. There were actually two races in one. My First and My Next Triathlons. There were a total of 328 racers in both events, the only difference in them being that the My Next racers started about 4 minutes ahead of the My First racers. Everyone was on the same course and a lot of the My First racers finished before some of the My Next racers. Very well organized and everyone had a good day.

Last updated: 2004-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:23 | 400 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/328
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: 50m swim to buoy then 90 degree left turn. About 150m to the next buoy then a slight left turn. About 175m to the next buoy then a 90 degree left turn into the last straight stretch to the water exit. The last buoy turn was pretty tight with a piling about 6-8 feet away. There were about 4 of us going through the small gap at the same time so that was interesting.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:32:15 | 12 miles | 22.33 mile/hr
Overall: 3/328
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Some flat and some rolling hills. Nothing too wild in the hill department though. On the inbound loop, there was an intersection at a pretty busy highway that race rules required a stop and "foot down". Pretty fun course though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:52 | 03 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 8/328
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with a few little rollers. One short uphill close to the finish and then the last 150m was gentle downhill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-18 10:25 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: My Next Triathlon

2004-07-19 12:31 PM
in reply to: #38468

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: My Next Triathlon
sweeet job on winning your ag...
2004-07-19 7:48 PM

Mississauga, Ont
Great time . Congrat on a good race.
2004-07-19 10:36 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Sweet race! Your bike MPH were way up there! Winning your age group is also spectacular.

Go Fast
Mark
2004-07-20 9:52 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Great job!  Awesome times - love the story about the shirt!
2004-07-20 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Awsome race! Great job on the podium finish!

Kelly

2004-07-21 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

Woo Stan! You're the MAN! Isn't that just the MOST beautiful bike course? Was the guy out spraying people with water on the run? That was neat to see community support. I swear I could have gone harder on the bike part but I was having such a great time looking at the scenery it was more like an afternoon bike "stroll" for me.

Nice going running in with your bro. That's what these things are all about...suppporting each other. I bet that meant more to him than he'll ever let you know. I know I always appreciate it when the elite athletes come back and cheer on us BOPers!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My Next Triathlon Rss Feed