Danskin
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 4s
Overall Rank = 2264/2593
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, well, well. I have been dreaming about this for the past six months. When I decided to do a triathlon the Danskin was the first one I signed up for. It was the mother of all races and I was going to be prepared. Well, really I wasn't. I don't regret my decision to do another tri before the Danskin but doing my first tri in May really let the wind outta' my sails for the Danskin in July. Going to South America didn't help and neither did getting a boyfriend and starting my business back up again. All in all I was just too lazy, tired, distracted whatever to train very much for this race. So my pre-race routine was not training for three weeks prior. Then I had to spend the night up in Denver so I wouldn't have to wake up early. I had fried chicken promptly followed by heartburn the night before. Ugghhh. Was distracted the entire night by banging and someone's t.v. so I only got about three hours of sleep. The race had more than 3500 participants (including a recreational class) so the race started late. I got there about 5:30 a.m. My boyfriend was supposed to be there an hour later. He called me from the highway and said that there was a six-mile traffic jam because all the people were coming at once to the race. It was crazy!
Event warmup:

My warm up was getting to the race course. You had to park at a race track and then walk, trot or bike to the course about a MILE away. So I had to lug my transition bag, including running shoes, wet suit, towels, etc. on my back and ride to the transition area to set up my bike. Did that by that time it was 7 a.m. My heat started at 8 a.m., but with half of the participants still were on the highway. So I walked the mile AGAIN back to the parking lot to see if I could find my boyfriend. Madness. The upshot is that I had no time to worry about the race because I was worrying about other things. By the time I got Brian settled, my stuff in the transition area, plans for after the event and how to get out of there they were about to call my wave.
Swim
  • 19m 13s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

As you can see from my rank I was above average in the swim. Hey it might not look like much but I've never been above average in anything athletic related. I am so proud of my swim. I kicked major butt. I even passed women who were waves in front of me. I swam wide, around the pack so I probably ended up swimming about 50 meters more but it kept me call. I cruised through the swim like a fish. I only stopped to round the buoys and I freestyled it the entire way. It felt so good. I felt so strong. Each stoke was a pull forward. The open water panic I had before - GONE! I've found my new sport boys and girls and it's open water swimming. Woo Hoo. I even had time to encourage other swimmers along the way, as I dusted them! Woo Hoo. It doesn't get any better than this.
What would you do differently?:

Go all out. Really push myself. I think I couldn't shaved three or four minutes off the swim.
Transition 1
  • 06m 55s
Comments:

Ok, my T1 SUCKED! I was really tired and wobbly from the swim. As I got out of the water you had to run up a ramp and call me a wuss but it really hurt my feet! So I didn't do no running. No way. I walked. The guy at the swim ramp unzipped my wetsuit for me so that was great. But whew! I was tired. Then I stopped to put my Teva's on which I had left on the ramp because of my delicate foot condition. That took time. Then when I got to my bike and noticed all the bikes still there I smiled at my swim victory! That took time. So what, I stopped to smell the roses! But finally I got out of there and walked with my bike to the bike start.

Take wetsuit off in the water. Run to the transition area.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 19s
  • 12 miles
  • 11.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I NEED MORE BIKE PRACTICE! I also need to learn more about hill racing.

Practice hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I was so tired from the bike that this transition is a blur.
Run
  • 52m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 16m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I HATED IT! I really was a wimp on this part. I didn't even want to do the run. I barely ran a 1/2 mile.

I need to put more time in on the bike and the run and really challenge myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Mad dash to get the heck outta' there. Walking the 1 mile and 1/2 back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My nontraining on the bike and the run.

Event comments:

The race was organized considering the number of participants but it was so big. It was like the largest sprint tri in the world or something like that. Anyway, I did it and I can't wait til my next one. Sept. 26. Woo Hoo. I'm a two-time trier.

Here is a link to my photos: http://www.brightroom.com/go.asp?312442

Last updated: 2004-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:13 | 750 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2593
Performance: Good
Suit: promotion wet suit
Course: A triangular course. Swam to one buoy then across to another then across to another and back to the beach. The water was perfect! Beautiful. A little choppy but really calm.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:04:19 | 12 miles | 11.19 mile/hr
Overall: 2287/2593
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE BAH'S! If you remember my last tri you'll remember the phrase I coined - Big Ass Hills! (BAH's for short). Well this course was full of them. From the start to the finish there were BAH'S everywhere. I mean c'mon! I just plain ran out of gas on the bike. I didn't eat enough to tackle those hills. My Lord! Help me Jesus I was screaming. How in the world can a road have hills on both the left and the right at the same time. Also it was like Tour De France. There were so many women I had to actually pass people! I had to slow down, wait for women to pass me and then pass others. It was crazy. But I really used my gears well between the hills. Now if I could just figure out how to go fast on hills without exerting myself!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:11 | 03.1 miles | 16m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 2465/2593
Performance: Below average
Course: Long loop course on gravel, trail and asphalt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-07-19 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Danskin Triathlon

2004-07-19 11:20 AM
in reply to: #38551

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: Danskin Triathlon - ovetta
yea!

fall chill, here we come!
2004-07-19 11:26 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Danskin Triathlon
You crack me up Ovetta - I like the "delicate foot condition" - that ramp did hurt!  Great job!  And I'm so glad to have met you!
2004-07-19 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Ovetta,

I actually chuckled to myself a few times during the bike ride remembering your race report with the "BAH'S", since this course was FULL of them!

Wish I could have met up with y'all at the race - maybe next year

-Stacey
2004-07-19 11:31 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Way to go Ovetta. Despite the problems, you're now a two-time triathlete!

Hopefully see you at the Fall Chill! :D

-Chris
2004-07-19 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Awsome job Ovetta. Welcome back. Congrats on the boyfreind and the business.

2004-07-19 2:21 PM

User image

You managed to juggle it all, you have guts and glory too!
2004-07-19 8:37 PM

Wooooo Hoooooo --Way to go girl!!!! Nice job.
2004-07-19 10:13 PM

Veteran
Colorado
Congrats, Ovetta! Sounds like you had a full plate prior to the race alright but you did it anyway - good for you! Your swim was great, sounds like you did some good gear changing on your ride, and I just have to agree that running is a horrible thing in general!
Good going!
2004-07-19 10:53 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Ovetta, you never cease to amaze me.  No training for 3 weeks and then you race!!! You are a wild woman.....congratulations!   I am sooo jealous that you got to meet Cathy and Mary too

Jen

2004-07-20 4:44 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Well done girl – glad to see you getting out there and going for it!!

You are setting an example to me!!!! I have to put in the miles.

Timely reminder! Now work on that run

2004-07-21 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job sticking with it!

Kelly
2004-07-25 5:28 PM

Great performance. Your swim was amazing!!!! How do you do it? I need lots of work in that area. Getting up that ramp was an event in and of itself. Ouch!!!

Don't know if I will travel from SLC, UT next year, but if I do I would love to hook up with you and the other triathletes. I had lots of pre-race jitters and I'm sure the support would have helped.

Keep up the training!!!

Sheri
2004-07-26 12:22 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Great job - especially considering your time off - Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Triathlon Rss Feed