Callaway Gardens
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 53s
Overall Rank = 88/284
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/22
Pre-race routine:

Frusion Smoothie for breakfast. Got to the Gardens at 6 AM. Got my transition area setup, picked up timing chip, and got body marked. Visited the bathrooms a couple times before heading to the beach for a short swim warmup.
Event warmup:

Short swim in the lake just before race start.
Swim
  • 18m 48s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

This wade/wave start isn't the most ideal, but I think I handled it much better than I did at the Sprint race earlier this season. Didn't try to start in the front this time. Still had a lot of bodies around me, but I was able to hold my ground and was able to maneuver around the few swimmers slower than me. Wore ear plugs in my ears as I'm still recovering from a case of swimmer's ear I've been fighting all week.
What would you do differently?:

Not have an ear infection and have to wear ear plugs. More OWS practice. Need to work on my swimming speed.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Didn't realize I'd taken so much time. May have been affected by the size of the TA. I took the time to put drops in my infected ear to help it dry out. Took a shot of Hammer Gel.

Work on the shoes pre-clipped into pedals maneuver so I can get out quicker.
Bike
  • 53m 18s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 20.98 mile/hr
Comments:

I love this course. Passed people left and right. Nobody passed me until the end of the second loop. Two guys overtook me on a 90 degree corner. I passed one of the guys shortly afterwards and the other guy finished the bike leg just in front of me. At one point, I passed a guy and he complimented me on how well I was handling the hills. I was wondering...WHAT hills?.

Not much. Need to remember it's not a good idea to attempt to clear out my nose while in the aero position...ran off the road, into grass, but stayed up (thank God).
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

The entrance to the transition area was at least one row down from where my stuff was. Had to cross over a rock border/grassy enbankment with my bike. Took another shot of Hammer Gel. Headed to the TA exit with my biking gloves still on. Had to double back to get rid of them.

Study the TA bike entrance before the race. Not forget to take off my gloves.
Run
  • 42m 11s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I was SLOW. Lots of people passed me. I felt better during this run than I did at West Point Lake, just wish I could conjure up a little more speed.

Build a more solid running base. Increase distances on my run/bike bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

They didn't have any Gatorade left at the refreshment stand. Got a couple cups of (warm) water and a bannana. Walked slowly back to the transition area to get my stuff. Got all packed up, draped my bucket handle over my brake hood and rode back to the car. Didn't stay for the award ceremony...just headed home for a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mediocre swimming and lack of energy/endurance on the run.

Event comments:

Swim distance was less than advertised. I do NOT like the wade starts in waves. Swimming in Robin Lake is great, though. The transition area could be organized better with rack assignments and reduced length. But at least they did have enough racks this time. As I said before, I love the bike course. The race director described it as a "technical" course. Something like six 90 degree turns per loop. The run course was good too. Overall a fun race.

Last updated: 2006-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:48 | 880 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/22
Overall: 0/284
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Shorts and Tri Top
Course: Circle around Robin Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:18 | 18.64 miles | 20.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/22
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Two loops around Callaway Gardens roads. Mostly flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:11 | 04.97 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/22
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, then around Robin Lake. Mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-03 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Subject: Callaway Gardens Triathlon

2006-09-03 2:02 PM
in reply to: #529892

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: RE: Callaway Gardens Triathlon

Man, you're getting good!  Those are some great times you put up there...   You did well on the swim, you killed the bike, a "technical course" no less! - nice job!-, and the run wasn't too bad either.  Sure, you wish your run would have been faster... I think we can all relate with that problem... well, at least I can (my runs are ALWAYS slower than they should be on race day).  It's tough...  The bottom line is that you'll have a pretty high ranking when the results are posted, and you have more stuff to work on for the next race.  That's what these things are all about isn't it?  Motivation!  And BTW, just thought I'd remind you- you've made HUGE improvements in the few months I've been reading your blog... Totally amazing.  At your rate of improvement, I figure you'll be winning AG regularly very soon!  

Keep up the good work, and keep inspiring! 

2006-09-03 4:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Great job, Jered! Congrats!
2006-09-03 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Smoking bike time! Wasn't that a terrific little race? Great conditions, nicely laid out course - Definitely makes one want to race it again.

Congrats on your race!

c
2006-09-03 9:56 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Nice looking race.  You did a great job on everything.  You owned the bike course.  Good work.  Sorry forthe ear thing.  My ears hurt non-stop. 
2006-09-04 9:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great Race. Sorry about the swimmer's ear. I hope it feels better soon. Your bike was awesome. I thought the T zone was strange too; having to cross over that median. Congrats on the finish.

2006-09-05 4:10 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Good job at the race ... especially the bike split (man, you are getting fast on that thing!).  The hours spent training is definitely paying dividends. 

I hear you about the mass wade starts. After doing a time trial start at the Peachtree City Sprint the other day, I am convinced that is the way to go.

Sorry about the ear infection, but way to race through it and post a good time in the water.

The 90* turns on the bike can sometimes be a bit sketchy with that many people hammering away; good job staying out of that ruckus.

Your run split shows that you had some left in the tank to get through those 5 miles.

All in all, you worked hard for these results - bask in 'em!

2006-09-05 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Very nice job!  Solid.  Congrats on a great effort.
2006-09-06 12:29 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
No Kidding! 21mph on the bike course and 8:29 pace on the run? Man, I'd take that in a heartbeat! Awesome job!
2006-09-06 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Awesome bike split! Keep it up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Callaway Gardens Triathlon Rss Feed