Subject: RE: 5 Bicyclists killed

I read that this morning, very tragic. 

2016-06-08 9:15 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Horrible, absolutely frigging horrible.  It used to be that you'd feel realitively safe/comfortable when ridding in larger groups... not so much I guess.  Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

2016-06-08 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
wow thats terrible
2016-06-08 1:25 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yes, I horrible tragedy.  Equally tragic are the large number of comments to the article I read that actually blamed the riders somehow.

2016-06-08 1:30 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by popsracer

Yes, I horrible tragedy.  Equally tragic are the large number of comments to the article I read that actually blamed the riders somehow.

Why would any idiot blame the cyclists? Sounded like the guy was drunk based on witness accounts of his driving before accident. Sad.

2016-06-08 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

yeah it makes me sick to my stomach to read those comments.

The news report is one thing to make you think about the road safety, but reading the comments makes your realize the mentality of some of the drivers out there towards cyclists. It's appalling.

Exactly why I am using my virtual trainer more often.
2016-06-08 2:33 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Originally posted by GODAWGS

Why would any idiot blame the cyclists? Sounded like the guy was drunk based on witness accounts of his driving before accident. Sad.

Well if you want to be angry instead of sad read the comments section in any of these stories.  I didn't read them on this one but I would bet it goes along the lines of "bikes shouldn't have been on that or 'the' road."  "They shouldn't have been riding in a pack like that.  I see it all the time and they always disrupt traffic."  Or any variation of that.  I think a certain percentage is trolling but there's sadly enough that actually believe that stuff. 

2016-06-08 2:54 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by GODAWGS

Well if you want to be angry instead of sad read the comments section in any of these stories.  I didn't read them on this one but I would bet it goes along the lines of "bikes shouldn't have been on that or 'the' road."  "They shouldn't have been riding in a pack like that.  I see it all the time and they always disrupt traffic."  Or any variation of that.  I think a certain percentage is trolling but there's sadly enough that actually believe that stuff. 

Our guys deal with motorists complaining about cyclists all of the time......and there is VERY REAL animosity among them.  Motorists are MUCH MORE angry at cyclists then we are at motorists.....believe it. (at least here in St. Louis)

2016-06-08 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I just posted this in cup of Joe, not realizing a thread was in the triathlon forum.

The comments on the link I posted are all against the driver.. At least one or two posted in defense of the driver from the perspective of waiting until we know if he had a medical condition (physical or mental).  Based on the article, the driver was hiding nearby the scene so I think the medical condition angle isn't likely..

I didn't see a single comment against the cyclists.  Overwhelmingly they wanted to hang the driver and a few also wondered why the police weren't able to find the driver and get him pulled over since there were 3 separate 911 calls regarding an erratic driver...

Definitely a lot of blame being shot around, in the end 5 cyclists died doing something they love... 

2016-06-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by TriMike

I just posted this in cup of Joe, not realizing a thread was in the triathlon forum.

The comments on the link I posted are all against the driver.. At least one or two posted in defense of the driver from the perspective of waiting until we know if he had a medical condition (physical or mental).  Based on the article, the driver was hiding nearby the scene so I think the medical condition angle isn't likely..

I didn't see a single comment against the cyclists.  Overwhelmingly they wanted to hang the driver and a few also wondered why the police weren't able to find the driver and get him pulled over since there were 3 separate 911 calls regarding an erratic driver...

Definitely a lot of blame being shot around, in the end 5 cyclists died doing something they love... 

Just for starters from a Reuters article: 

"This was unfortunate , but it doesn't surprise me either. I see a lot of people on their bicycles that are riding in the middle of the road when they have a dedicated bicycle trail availble, but they choose not to use it "

"If the cyclist are as ballsy there as they are here in Florida. They ride side by side on busy highway's like State Road 46 and 44 where the speed limit is 55 and on many state roads even 60 and 65 I have no real pity for them."

"I have ridden bikes for years, including triathlons and century rides. Bicyclists MUST abide by the SAME rules of the road as cars."

"I see this happening more and more in this Country.... The attitude of Bike Riders and their entitled actions will just bring more and more of these crashes to occur. They make Bike Lanes so stay in them."

2016-06-08 6:17 PM

User image

"This was unfortunate , but it doesn't surprise me either. I see a lot of people on their bicycles that are riding in the middle of the road when they have a dedicated bicycle trail availble, but they choose not to use it "

"If the cyclist are as ballsy there as they are here in Florida. They ride side by side on busy highway's like State Road 46 and 44 where the speed limit is 55 and on many state roads even 60 and 65 I have no real pity for them."

"I have ridden bikes for years, including triathlons and century rides. Bicyclists MUST abide by the SAME rules of the road as cars."

"I see this happening more and more in this Country.... The attitude of Bike Riders and their entitled actions will just bring more and more of these crashes to occur. They make Bike Lanes so stay in them."

Those actually aren't as bad as I've seen, or you as well I am sure.

Getting a little off topic, but this is why I always come to a full stop at a stop sign that has cross traffic (if I can see the road in each direction, and there are no cars, I do slow and roll), and i offer the car to go first.  9 times out of 10, they wave me through, and I give a wave of thanks.  I also always, when safe, ride as far right as I can, I do take the lane but only to the extent and as necessary, and then when I get over I give the car that had to wait for me a wave.

Maybe once grain of sand in a landslide, but we have to do our part to respect drivers on the road if we want them to respect us.  Because if they don't, we lose every time.  Doesn't excuse a driver's bad behavior, but hopefully shows the driver we don't all ride like entitled jerk offs -- we've all seen that too

Now, this clearly has nothing to do with this accident, if you've seen the photos, I doubt the driver applied his brakes at all, the way the truck and the bikes look.

2016-06-08 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I have no doubt some will blame the cyclists, my point was the theme I was seeing was all against the driver..
2016-06-08 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
2016-06-08 6:24 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by ChrisM

Those actually aren't as bad as I've seen, or you as well I am sure.

Getting a little off topic, but this is why I always come to a full stop at a stop sign that has cross traffic (if I can see the road in each direction, and there are no cars, I do slow and roll), and i offer the car to go first.  9 times out of 10, they wave me through, and I give a wave of thanks.  I also always, when safe, ride as far right as I can, I do take the lane but only to the extent and as necessary, and then when I get over I give the car that had to wait for me a wave.

Maybe once grain of sand in a landslide, but we have to do our part to respect drivers on the road if we want them to respect us.  Because if they don't, we lose every time.  Doesn't excuse a driver's bad behavior, but hopefully shows the driver we don't all ride like entitled jerk offs -- we've all seen that too

Now, this clearly has nothing to do with this accident, if you've seen the photos, I doubt the driver applied his brakes at all, the way the truck and the bikes look.

I agree regarding a friendly wave to cars that motion us through an intersection etc. as a way to show we're not all idiots....And the picture of the truck looked like it hit another vehicle in a major traffic accident... The bikes were just destroyed as you could imagine...
2016-06-08 8:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Having been to a couple thousand accidents including many fatal......judging from the pictures that was a tremendous impact.  It knocked that truck backwards like a head on collision between cars.  That's crazy and I've never seen anything like it in a vehicle vs. bicycle.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-06-08 8:41 PM

2016-06-08 9:27 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Beyond belief. I do feel safer when riding in a group, but I won't for the next few rides while this is fresh in my mind.
2016-06-08 9:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Having been to a couple thousand accidents including many fatal......judging from the pictures that was a tremendous impact.  It knocked that truck backwards like a head on collision between cars.  That's crazy and I've never seen anything like it in a vehicle vs. bicycle.

Amazing. Not in a good way. One of the photos shows what appears to be a fire hydrant that has been moved a good foot or so through dirt (at least looks like) so some of that damage may have come from that, but not the hood/windshield or all of the front. Dude never put his foot on the brakes before plowing those poor souls down
2016-06-08 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
2016-06-09 6:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I have always train and bike solo because of my schedule. I wear a mirror on my sunglasses to monitor cars approaching me from behind. I had some close calls and try to wave at drivers that use good road safety.

I bike on country roads and majority of the drivers are cool. I get the occasional redneck or driver that doesn't want to wait for the right spot to pass. I had a driver pass on my left one time while I had my arm in the left turn signal position. I had chills thinking what would have happen if I hadn't checked my mirror one last time before I turned.

It is sad that there were several calls about driver prior to the accident. The 911 calls started about 30 minutes prior to the crash with the cyclists.

Be safe everybody.
2016-06-09 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Amazing. Not in a good way. One of the photos shows what appears to be a fire hydrant that has been moved a good foot or so through dirt (at least looks like) so some of that damage may have come from that, but not the hood/windshield or all of the front. Dude never put his foot on the brakes before plowing those poor souls down

The craziest thing is that he hit them from behind, I would think.  Just looking at the damage you wouldn't come to that conclusion.  I wonder what speeds were involved.

I don't ride on roads much anymore.......but my kids ride to work, working out, to swim practice, etc.  Most of the roads are crowded to very crowded.  I hate it. I should of raised soccer players.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-06-09 8:33 AM

2016-06-09 8:58 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

The craziest thing is that he hit them from behind, I would think.  Just looking at the damage you wouldn't come to that conclusion.  I wonder what speeds were involved.

I don't ride on roads much anymore.......but my kids ride to work, working out, to swim practice, etc.  Most of the roads are crowded to very crowded.  I hate it. I should of raised soccer players.

I was initially thinking the same thing regarding damage and vehicle placement, but when you think about it, 9 riders, assuming an average 180 lbs each including equipment equals 1,600 lbs. That will do significant damage to a car.
2016-06-09 9:16 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

I was initially thinking the same thing regarding damage and vehicle placement, but when you think about it, 9 riders, assuming an average 180 lbs each including equipment equals 1,600 lbs. That will do significant damage to a car.

I was just talking to our accident reconstruction guy going over the possible weight, speeds, force, possible position of cyclists, vehicle, etc.  Of course there are more unknowns than knowns from the cheap seats here.....but all are in agreement they've never seen anything like it.

2016-06-09 9:52 AM

User image

I didn't see the pictures of the truck.  But from other views I wonder if he hit the rocks that were on the lawn?  I'm just going by the news video but it looked like the front yard might have been lined with large rocks.

Also disturbing was the picture of the one bike on the ground that had a blinker on the rear which was still flashing. 

2016-06-09 10:41 AM

User image

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I didn't see the pictures of the truck.  But from other views I wonder if he hit the rocks that were on the lawn?  I'm just going by the news video but it looked like the front yard might have been lined with large rocks.

Also disturbing was the picture of the one bike on the ground that had a blinker on the rear which was still flashing. 

Go find the truck pictures, the damage goes all the way to the roof. That was no rock. There was also a pic of a broken mirror. I doubt there is anything these people could have done even if they'd known it was coming
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5 Bicyclists killed Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Another bicyclist killed

Started by LittleCat
Views: 1108 Posts: 7

2011-10-17 11:53 PM Blanda

Good Boston Globe Blog about Bicyclists and Motorists

Started by TriToy
Views: 989 Posts: 9

2008-07-08 4:03 PM wurkit_gurl