General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do other sports? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 2
 
 
2018-08-29 5:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
15583
500050005000500252525
Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?

I don't have much of a problem with what you just posted,  running can probably  behelped by cross training at your age....but your triathlon won't be helped by boxing or soccer at your age.  And your running wouldn't have improved playing tennis, or soccer.

I disagree about your idea that running exclusively won't improve running, of course it will......and I don't know a college coach who would disagree.  I watched my own kid go from a 4:20  mile, a 15:59 5k, and a 33:00 10K when he was a triathlete  running 20-30 miles per week, biking 250 miles a week,and swimming 50,000M a week in High School, to a 4:09 mile, a 15:10 5k, and a 31:30 10K on 50-70 miles per week and no swimming or biking, so there's the other side of it. 

Surely age is a factor (for him and you), and I expect his times will keep dropping this year as he goes to 65-80 miles per week, and again as a senior when he goes to 100 mpw.  Injury has been an issue as he goes to running exclusively, so that's another factor.  But there is no doubt that his triathlon won't be nearly as fast when he is done with college without A LOT of bike and swim training......and it's not likely that he can get back to competing with the guys who have only trained triathlon while he's spent 4 or 5 years running.  That's why the "podium project" I mentioned in an earlier post was formed....to give the top Jr. triathletes an avenue to keep training triathlon and get a college education.....everybody understood the college running or swimming route, and then going back to triathlon, really wasn't working.

I, too, have seen a lot of child soccer players cross over to running with good success.....but I watched a lot of child swimmers do the same.....building a big engine at an early age is another discussion, but it's not applicable in this one.

I'm still saying that as an adult, with time restraints, etc.... your triathlon will not be helped by "playing" other sports.  They cannot substitute for the time spent swimming, biking, and running, no matter how much fun they are.

 



Edited by Left Brain 2018-08-29 5:41 PM


2018-08-29 9:21 PM
in reply to: d.rock90

User image

Champion
7595
50002000500252525
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?

40 mpw running is middling/high for a triathlete.  It is very low for a serious (but still amateur) runner, including a 5K runner.

I would suggest that if a talented runner is running just 40mpw then all bets are off when it comes to whether substituting some other stuff for some running will have a positive effect.  I just think that when you are that far away from high mileage, it is very hard to say what sorts of stimuli are going to work for you.  Probably many different stimuli will be effective.

To take just one trivial example:  If, as a runner, you have a problem (even one that you javen't realized) stemming from core weakness or instability, and the cross-training helps to correct that problem, you are probably going to make some gains even if you are running less.

But:  the same runner who addresses that problem directly (by doing a little core work) and ramps up (wisely, over an appropriate time) to 70, 90, or 100+mpw will get faster, including at 5K.  I have never heard of any result different from that.  I ran my fastest 5K to date (just over 17:00, so I'm certainly not super-fast, but I was also 47) after simply ramping up to 100mpw with almost no speedwork.

There are many, many, reasons why one might not wish to, or be able to, run higher mileage, of course.  I don't deny that for a second.  I'm trying to get back there right now and it is certainly a struggle.

2018-08-29 10:24 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Pro
15583
500050005000500252525
Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?

Originally posted by Experior

40 mpw running is middling/high for a triathlete.  It is very low for a serious (but still amateur) runner, including a 5K runner.

I would suggest that if a talented runner is running just 40mpw then all bets are off when it comes to whether substituting some other stuff for some running will have a positive effect.  I just think that when you are that far away from high mileage, it is very hard to say what sorts of stimuli are going to work for you.  Probably many different stimuli will be effective.

To take just one trivial example:  If, as a runner, you have a problem (even one that you javen't realized) stemming from core weakness or instability, and the cross-training helps to correct that problem, you are probably going to make some gains even if you are running less.

But:  the same runner who addresses that problem directly (by doing a little core work) and ramps up (wisely, over an appropriate time) to 70, 90, or 100+mpw will get faster, including at 5K.  I have never heard of any result different from that.  I ran my fastest 5K to date (just over 17:00, so I'm certainly not super-fast, but I was also 47) after simply ramping up to 100mpw with almost no speedwork.

There are many, many, reasons why one might not wish to, or be able to, run higher mileage, of course.  I don't deny that for a second.  I'm trying to get back there right now and it is certainly a struggle.

Yep, that's good stuff.

 

2018-08-30 9:49 PM
in reply to: 0


55
2525
Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
Originally posted by jjupiter100


OP - Aside from Triathlon (or one of the sports therein) do you do anything else seriously? If so, what sport, and how do you think it affects your triathlon?

  • ..

  • They just wanted to know what other sports we did and how we thought if affected our races....



    Hah! Yeah I just thought it'd be a fun little thread on a low pressure amateur sports website. Something like:

    "Response: Oh I started doing polo! And let me tell you I am MUCH more comfortable on those bike rides. Spend three months bouncing on a horse and a bike feels like your bum's practically in an easy chair!

    Me: Oh that sounds neat! What an interesting response to my fun little inquiry on this low pressure amateur sports website."


    Instead it became a bitter denunciation of my stupidity and ignorance. But hey, I should have expected that.... this is still the internet after all!



    Edited by d.rock90 2018-08-30 9:50 PM
    2018-08-30 9:53 PM
    in reply to: d.rock90

    User image

    Pro
    15583
    500050005000500252525
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?

    LOL.....you bitter bro?  That's silly.

    You're neither stupid nor ignorant......but there are plenty of people who come here looking for ideas on how to improve their triathlon. 

    Most don't own horses.

    2018-08-31 11:38 AM
    in reply to: 0

    User image

    Champion
    7595
    50002000500252525
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?

    "The Internet".  A place where people take offense at offenses not given.

    Nobody called anybody stupid, if my recollection is accurate.

    Being surprised or disappointed that a question posed in the 'Triathlon Talk' area ("Ask any question regarding swim, bike, run, training to transitions and race day.") of a web site dedicated to triathlon led to a discussion of triathlon training instead of polo is, well...



    Edited by Experior 2018-08-31 11:40 AM


    2018-08-31 12:40 PM
    in reply to: Experior


    55
    2525
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
    I'm deeply offended you thought I was offended. I'm impossible to offend! The internet: the place where no one catches on to mild sarcasm.

    But at least we can all agree we hate the human garbage that plays polo.
    (also sarcasm!)

    2018-09-05 11:51 AM
    in reply to: d.rock90

    User image

    Master
    2073
    20002525
    Columbus, Ohio
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
    I do tae-kwon-do in addition to triathlon. Now that I am over 40, I find that concentrating all of my workouts in similar planes of motion makes me vulnerable to injury. Since chronic knee or hip problems will certainly give me slower triathlon times, I feel that spinning around in the air, doing explosive movements, and working on the mental confidence required to break a whole bunch of pine boards is helpful in all aspects of life, including triathlon.

    I also do trail running sometimes, which is not directly part of triathlon but strengthens my run in ways that hours of running on pavement do not. My ankles and glutes are stronger from the uneven surfaces and the hills.

    2018-09-07 1:37 PM
    in reply to: alicefoeller

    User image

    Veteran
    485
    100100100100252525
    Elmira, ON
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
    Originally posted by alicefoeller

    I do tae-kwon-do in addition to triathlon. Now that I am over 40, I find that concentrating all of my workouts in similar planes of motion makes me vulnerable to injury. Since chronic knee or hip problems will certainly give me slower triathlon times, I feel that spinning around in the air, doing explosive movements, and working on the mental confidence required to break a whole bunch of pine boards is helpful in all aspects of life, including triathlon.

    I also do trail running sometimes, which is not directly part of triathlon but strengthens my run in ways that hours of running on pavement do not. My ankles and glutes are stronger from the uneven surfaces and the hills.




    I think you and I were the only one's who actually answered the OP's question. lmao. Everything else was a debate on whether they helped tri...lol.
    2018-09-07 8:30 PM
    in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

    User image

    Champion
    7595
    50002000500252525
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?

    Originally posted by d.rock90 ... how do you think it affects your triathlon? ...

    It was an interesting and worthwhile question from OP.  It was discussed.  Here, on this forum.  About triathlon.

    2018-12-05 11:34 AM
    in reply to: 0


    4

    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
    I am just starting to contemplate triathlon training and I play ultimate frisbee (in addition to swimming, and I bike to get around). The thing that most worries me about starting triathlon training is risk of boredom. I love playing ultimate and can go for two hours without breaks. Not sure if i am going to have to give it up to train for the tri.

    Edited by Steve in DC 2018-12-05 11:34 AM


    2018-12-05 6:09 PM
    in reply to: #5248327

    User image


    55
    2525
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
    I've another question though. For people who do other sports seriously and use triathlon as cross-training, does doing triathlons make your performance in your main sport improve as well?
    2018-12-05 6:21 PM
    in reply to: 0

    User image

    Pro
    15583
    500050005000500252525
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?

    Yes, I was always able to fish longer when I was swimming 4 days a week.



    Edited by Left Brain 2018-12-05 6:22 PM
    2018-12-05 6:26 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

    User image

    Extreme Veteran
    3023
    20001000
    Maryland
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?

    I'm always fastest when i'm S-B-R ing more.  i have found though that adding some targeted strength and even yoga when i needed it was important to stay healthy and make myself able to withstand the training load

    2018-12-05 7:02 PM
    in reply to: miklcct

    User image

    Master
    8041
    50002000100025
    Eugene, Oregon
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
    Depends on the sport. I used to be pretty seriously into trekking and climbing--not competitively but some very challenging ones (Everest Base Camp, highest peak in SE Asia, Himalayan treks over multiple passes at 14-15K feet, pretty routine steep climbs to 9-10K feet, etc.) The aerobic conditioning from tri training is definitely a big help with staying in shape for that, especially if (as was the case when I worked overseas) you don't have access to hills or altitude for much of the year. I would guess that would be true of other cardio-heavy seasonal sports like XC skiing--I know athletes who compete at pretty high level in XC ski or biathlon often incorporate running, biking, and/or swimming into their off-season training. We had some of them training with our XC team when I was in college.

    But each sport has its specific muscular and technique demands. The first few climbs or long hikes of the season would always leave my quads extremely sore--spending hours walking DOWN a steep slope really takes its toll, and that is hard to prepare for with typical swim/bike/run training.
    2018-12-06 8:13 AM
    in reply to: miklcct


    4

    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
    Originally posted by miklcct

    I've another question though. For people who do other sports seriously and use triathlon as cross-training, does doing triathlons make your performance in your main sport improve as well?


    I'll tell you in a few months. My guess is that I'll be injured.


    2018-12-06 11:47 AM
    in reply to: Rollergirl

    User image

    Regular
    548
    50025
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
    Originally posted by Rollergirl

    I play golf, which does not make me a better triathlete but the opposite is true. I have more stamina. I was really tired half way through a round before I started tris and my game got worse. Now I feel better physically and I play equally bad on the 18th as I do on the 1st, not worse.



    I agree, I am more of a golfer than a triathlete. I do sprints and Oly's, train an 5-7 hours a week, but play 30+ rounds of golf a year. I walk and carry my bag. Does it help with trialthlon? Probably not, but walking 5+ miles carrying 25 lbs of clubs on your back has to provide some benefit.
    2018-12-06 11:58 AM
    in reply to: d.rock90

    User image

    Master
    2378
    2000100100100252525
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Bronze member
    Subject: RE: Do you do other sports?
    The only other sport I've been serious about as an adult has been tennis. Even though I really don't play anymore, I'm pretty certain the critical aspects of tennis(quickness and lateral movement) are totally squelched by all this slowtwitch stuff. I'd love to pick up a racquet again - I'm scared of what I'd find out...
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do other sports? Rss Feed  
    Show Per page
     
     
    of 2
     
     
    RELATED POSTS

    Winter training - what should I be doing.

    Started by Alpal
    Views: 517 Posts: 4

    2018-04-19 8:35 AM TriJayhawkRyan

    How to ignore others?

    Started by Oggi
    Views: 549 Posts: 7

    2018-01-30 6:19 PM Oggi

    First tri season done, training for a marathon, need guidance

    Started by Dill-Ag13
    Views: 655 Posts: 11

    2017-11-09 1:36 PM Dill-Ag13

    Looking for #1 piece of advice doing HIM on consecutive weekends.

    Started by FranzZemen
    Views: 568 Posts: 4

    2017-10-26 5:47 PM Hot Runner

    Zwift and others?

    Started by Oysterboy
    Views: 966 Posts: 6

    2017-10-29 9:36 PM pschriver