General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing/Health & Fitness Promotions, Inc.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 2s
Overall Rank = 22/68
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

All-rightey. This was the last race of my tri season; my 4th race of my first season, and my first olympic-distance race. It also marks the anniversary of my first serious effort at getting into tris -- I volunteered at this very same event last year in an attempt to learn more about the sport and make up my mind about whether I wanted to seriously committ to this crazy sport. (Want to see that thread? ) (Now that I look back at that post, I realize just how anal I am.) I'm pretty seriously excited about my performance today, and I'm a little misty-eyed about how much progress I've made in a year. Go me!

Got up at 5AM; diddled around getting some coffee and waking up slowly. Didn't get out the door until 5:30, had two cups of coffee and a bagel. I was consciously attempting to eat less for this race -- I've decided that one of my problems with previous races was a too-full stomach before race start.

Driving through Columbus, the rain came down like someone had poured a bucket out over the city. I was pretty apprehensive -- we've had a lot of rain in the last several days, and I was thinking that I was going to get very, very wet on this race. But then the thought came to me -- if everyone else sees the rain and stays home, maybe I can place in my age group! I drove faster.

Arrived at venue 7:30, stop at the porta john, got the race packet with the wrong color swim cap, set up in a fairly crowded TA, and headed down to the beach.
Event warmup:

Down to the water, and a good five-minute warm up in the pretty-darn-cold water. I think this is going to be my minimum warmup, certainly in cold water -- you actually have to be in the water and swim for like five minutes straight in order to get warmed up.

Met wsm9363 (Scott) -- this was something I wanted to do, although it was right before his swim start, so there wasn't a lot of time to talk.
Swim
  • 22m 16s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I unintentionally grabbed a lot of spandex-covered ass on this swim. I dunno what was going on, for the first 1/4 of the race it seemed like every time I reached my hand forward I was grabbing somebody else's ass. I mean, it wasn't like I meant to do this, but don't you think that the law of averages would dictate that I'd grab the occasional shoulder blade or calf or swim cap? But no, it was ass ass ass ass ass.

Despite that ass-nastiness, I had a fairly good swim. I controlled my breathing quite well coming out of the washing tub, and felt long and lean in the water. About halfway through, I consciously changed my stroke to roll more and stroke more slowly and smoothly. Those are the kinds of adjustments that I just wouldn't have been able to make without experience and lots of TIPS -- that's Time In the Pool for Stupidnickname.

The third quarter of the course was getting choppy; so I got a few facefuls of water. I saw more people getting picked up by the kayakers than I had seen before at an HFP race; I don't know if it was the chop, or possibly some more newbies had been pulled out of the woods for this race, which HFP builds up to over the course of the year. Can't tell.

I was about to my limits of swimming by the time we came around to the finish, which was a good thing. But it means I have to swim more if I'm going to increase distance in next season.

Unbeknownst to me at the time, I came out of the water first in my age group -- what's up with that? Perhaps my "race when everyone else stays home because of the rain" strategy paid off!
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. Figure out how to draft.

Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I don't have a wetsuit and I don't do the shoes-on-bike trick, so a lot of the T1 stuff doesn't apply to me. I did okay here, not great -- the run up the muddy hill from the beach is included in the swim time, not in the T1 time.

Learn how to do the shoes on bike trick, start training barefoot.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 3s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I loves my bike. I totally do. I zipped along on this road -- the headwind/crosswind was heinous on the first quarter and last quarter of the loop, but on the back half of this route, I was zipping along, sometimes at 24 mph average. Loved it, loved it, loved -- talked to a bunch of people along the way, ate a Hammer gel and some whole wheat fruit newtons and a bottle of water along the way. (I had put three whole bottles of water on the bike, which is what I normally take on my long bricks, making sure to drink two whole bottles on most bricks and having one extra for very hot days, but since it was so cool that morning, I decided that I wasn't sweating all that much, wasn't in direct sun, and didn't need all that water -- so I made a judgement call, and it seemed okay. Yet another example of superior judgement being available from experience.)

Saw phoenix on the second loop -- she was just starting her first loop for the half. Go phoenix!

It's a bit disheartening to come of the second loop on the bike and see people already coming back off the run -- I assume they were sprinters, not elite olympic distance, though I could be wrong.

I see from the official race results that I was also first in my AG off the bike. Sure didn't know this at the time . . .

Nothing? Get lower and more aero on the bike to stay out of headwind, perhaps.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Good transition, could perhaps be faster.

Learn to do the shoes-on-bike thing.
Run
  • 56m 51s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this is where the rubber met the road -- I didn't see them pass me, but two members of my age group appeared to pass me on this run, one of them beating me by more than ten minutes on this segment. So, unbeknownst to me, I was in first place in my AG up until this time, and then fell two slots. That having been said, there was no way on God's green earth that I was going to beat the guy who beat me on the run, taking first place in the AG -- he ran a 43 minute 10k, for god's sake. That's a 6:30min/mile pace for 6 1/2 miles -- that's amazing!!!!!

I had a fast (for me) first mile at 7 minutes, then I had a slow second mile (felt a bit of pain in my stomach, a few cramps on this) at ten minute/mile. Still, I thought (and so did other people) that the first mile was measured short and the second mile was measured long. Whatever.

From that point on, though, I thought I got better -- picked it up until the last mile, really, and thought I was doing well. The last mile I was getting a bit punchy; running back over the dam, I swear I was singing the words of Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream," and I was getting a bit spooked about how the words of the song matched up with my reality:

For the last three days
The rain was unstoppable
it was always cold
no sunshine.

And I was thinking to myself, "YEAH! that's right -- it's been raing for three days here . . . HOW DID TOM PETTY KNOW THAT?!?!?!?"

So, pretty much, I was losing it; at about the limits of my ability. I was praying I wasn't going to get passed by anyone in my AG, and I didn't see anyone . . . the other guys in my AG must have passed me earlier . . .

Still, had enough left in the tank to finish strong, so it worked out alright. Walked through some of the water breaks, drank gatorade and poured water over my head, but ran everything else.

Train more. My a$$ hurts a bit today, afters -- clear sign that my butt/glutes aren't quite up to the challenge? More conditiong, more mile.
Post race
Warm down:

So, in the finish line chute, I got told that I was third -- I yelled "YEAH!" so loud that I think I scared the pants off the girl who was handing out awards. I didn't notice if I actually scared the pants off her, I was so excited. This was my goal for my last sprint -- to place in my AG -- and I was disappointed when I didn't do it. So, what I needed to do to place was increase my distance, thus decreasing the size of my AG, and wait until it rained for three days straight, thus decreasing the size of my AG.

Walked around, met cincymatt in the TA as I packed up my stuff, got some food, got a shower in the outdoor showers, packed up and left. Felt bad that I wasn't going to stay around to cheer phoenix on, but I had to get home to watch the Steelers get beat by the Bungles, dammit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It could rain more, thus cutting down my AG to one . . . in which case I would take first (cough cincymatt cough).

Hmmmm. I think I did fairly well for my first oly. I think I could run faster, and I know I could bike faster . . . it's just going to take time, training, conditioning, and experience.

HR training, here I come.

Event comments:

I like HFP. It's a cheap, small, low-stress race out in a small state park. What's not to like? I think I'm going to do the series next year . . .

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:16 | 1056 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 0/68
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: rectangular counterclockwise along the beach
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:03 | 24.8 miles | 19.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Wind: Headwind
Course: two big loops over farm roads
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:51 | 06.55 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/7
Performance: Average
Course: an out and back over the dam. Grass, then concrete, then grass, then asphalt, then turnaround and do it in reverse order.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-25 1:13 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic

2006-09-25 2:16 PM
in reply to: #550964

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic

Hey good job on the race. 

I didn't notice getting in anyones way in the swim.  But then I tend to hang back at the start. 

2006-09-25 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
WTG, I remember you were nto too happy after BL so getting a medal here must be extra sweet.  Good job, but seeing how your swim went I will nto try and swim with you anytime soon.  All you Steeler fans do is grab .  YIKES!!!  lol
2006-09-25 7:38 PM

User image

Buttercup

That is AWESOME!!! Congrats on your placement and great performance!

You have the best race reports anywhere! They always give me many chuckles.

2006-09-25 8:52 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Wow - you did great!  I remember your thread about volunteering and how you were a little stressed out by the whole thing, and here you are doing an awesome race. 

Placing in your AG must have been fun as well.

2006-09-25 10:02 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Woohoo! Way to go on the age group placement !

"Well, I unintentionally grabbed a lot of spandex-covered on this swim. "

Did you not read my race report from last year? hehehe.

Secretly, after you passed me, I was cursing you silently (or not so ) under my breath for being fast. :-p.

2006-09-26 8:30 AM
in reply to: #551601

User image

Master
La Crosse
phoenixazul - 2006-09-25 11:02 PM

Woohoo! Way to go on the age group placement !

"Well, I unintentionally grabbed a lot of spandex-covered on this swim. "

Did you not read my race report from last year? hehehe.

Well, I don't know if I did before, but I'm SURE going to now!

Secretly, after you passed me, I was cursing you silently (or not so ) under my breath for being fast. :-p.

Yeah, I thought I heard something . . .

YEAH BABY!
2006-09-26 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Man, congrats on an AWESOME race!  Too bad you weren't swimming with the females....
2006-09-26 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Loved the race report! Very funny! Congratulations on an AWESOME first Olympic distance! You did great! I like HFP races as well, I think they do a good job.
2006-09-27 3:01 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Nice job, great race report, way to bring home the bling!
2006-09-27 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

HARDWARE BABY!

Now how cool is that?!?!?

Another classic SNN (stupidnickname) race report!  Had me laughing the whole way ..... rain .... driving faster ...... grabbing a$$ ...... techniques for decreasing size of age group ...... etc.

Congratulations on your first Oly!  Very very cool!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Pineman - Olympic Rss Feed