Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-06-12 1:56 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Janyne - Loudoun gravel grinder - Sunday
Anne - Ride the Rockies (Sunday through Saturday)

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Oooh!  Oooh!  Me!  Me!  (for once).  Yesterday I did the John Apple (local beloved swim coach who has passed away) 'Swim-A-Bridge' challenge.  Swimmers pick from the Brooklyn Bridge (.5 mi), Wrightsville Bridge (1 mi), Golden Gate Bridge (1.7 mi), Pensacola Bay Bridge (3 mi), Chesapeake Bay Bridge (4.4 mi), or the 7 Mile Bridge (6.8 mi) and raise money for the mission of the John Apple Swim Fund, which is to provide scholarships for swimmers in need of them.

The most fun parts are it's at an outdoor pool (which I don't have opportunities to swim at regularly) and my crew of friends make up the majority of the swimmers.  The weather was perfect for it yesterday with sunshine, a breeze, and brisk pool water, around 67*F.  There was still an air quality alert in the orange, but it didn't look or smell smoky like a couple days ago.  It did affect my breathing some but I was able to persevere and complete the Pensacola Bay Bridge Challenge.  I was happy I could finish it (admittedly it got a little rough in the waning 600-800 meters) since I hadn't been swimming more than once a week and only  a mile and a half max a couple weeks ago.

Great day with friends for a good cause, complete with 'part 2' of food and drinks at a local brewery!

Wow, a 3 mile swim with a low swim volume going in -great job!  Anything longer than the Brooklyn Bridge and I would have drowned.

2023-06-12 2:48 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Oooh!  Oooh!  Me!  Me!  (for once).  Yesterday I did the John Apple (local beloved swim coach who has passed away) 'Swim-A-Bridge' challenge.  Swimmers pick from the Brooklyn Bridge (.5 mi), Wrightsville Bridge (1 mi), Golden Gate Bridge (1.7 mi), Pensacola Bay Bridge (3 mi), Chesapeake Bay Bridge (4.4 mi), or the 7 Mile Bridge (6.8 mi) and raise money for the mission of the John Apple Swim Fund, which is to provide scholarships for swimmers in need of them.

The most fun parts are it's at an outdoor pool (which I don't have opportunities to swim at regularly) and my crew of friends make up the majority of the swimmers.  The weather was perfect for it yesterday with sunshine, a breeze, and brisk pool water, around 67*F.  There was still an air quality alert in the orange, but it didn't look or smell smoky like a couple days ago.  It did affect my breathing some but I was able to persevere and complete the Pensacola Bay Bridge Challenge.  I was happy I could finish it (admittedly it got a little rough in the waning 600-800 meters) since I hadn't been swimming more than once a week and only  a mile and a half max a couple weeks ago.

Great day with friends for a good cause, complete with 'part 2' of food and drinks at a local brewery!

Wow, a 3 mile swim with a low swim volume going in -great job!  Anything longer than the Brooklyn Bridge and I would have drowned.

Yes!! This is an awesome achievement, and a great cause!
2023-06-13 10:19 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

No option for the San Mateo - Hayward Bridge (7 miles)?  I guess it is not needed if you have the 7 miles bridge (6.8).  When I lived in the Bay Area I crossed that bridge east bound by mistake on a few occasions. The  last exit to not take the bridge is like a mile before you get to the bridge.  You can't even see the bay when you have to get off for the last exit.  Then you are stuck with not exit for like a half hour.  Every time I missed that last exit it was torcher.  :-)  I am a mile swim type of guy though.  I would have done the Wrightsville Bridge. 

Wow, a half an hour with no exit, and funny you can't even see the water to have better warning.  It reminds me of going to Philly - if you miss the final exit you want to take into the city, you have to go to New Jersey AND pay money to get back into Pennsylvania (toll, like $5 or so, I think), adding insult to injury.  Don't ask me how I know this!!  LOL.  After doing it 2 or 3 times throughout my life, I am now ultra-paranoid about missing the exit and am hawk-eyed to be sure I'm in the correct lane and ready!

2023-06-13 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Awesome!

2023-06-14 8:15 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Wow, a half an hour with no exit, and funny you can't even see the water to have better warning.  It reminds me of going to Philly - if you miss the final exit you want to take into the city, you have to go to New Jersey AND pay money to get back into Pennsylvania (toll, like $5 or so, I think), adding insult to injury.  Don't ask me how I know this!!  LOL.  After doing it 2 or 3 times throughout my life, I am now ultra-paranoid about missing the exit and am hawk-eyed to be sure I'm in the correct lane and ready!

Yes...the toll on the San Mateo Bridge was coming back too.  It was free to go to the east side of the bay but $7 to get back.  I am going to have nightmare of swimming across (or more likely drownings in) the San Francisco bay now. 

So...has anyone done the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon?

2023-06-16 6:53 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18
Leanne - Tour de Blueberry

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2023-06-16 8:27 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Go Leanne! Eat all the blueberries!!

I am jealous of how much racing Leanne is doing - makes me acutely aware of how little I am and how much I used to do

2023-06-19 7:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Hi Guys!

I finally have a minute to catch up on BT. I've been super busy training, working and just having fun.

I don't know much about bike racks so I cannot help out there. I generally just ride from home or through my bike in the back of my Kia Sportage.

Scott has a ANOTHER brand new bike on the way. He bought a Specialized Road bike that is E-bike. He bought a brand new Quintaroo tri bike in the spring 2023 but has not been riding it b/c he decided to paddle & surf this summer rather than get back in triathlon. He says he's getting this bike so he can bike with me again. I am not sure where we are going to put all these bikes? Ha! I have a Fat tire bike, gravel bike and tri bike and Scott now has a fat tire bike, gravel bike, tri bike and ebike!

He just left today to head to Florida then is taking a boat across to Bimini Bahamas then Saturday night he is paddle back across the Atlantic to Florida doing the Crossing for Cystic Fibrosis. I hope they have good weather. This year he's doing it on relay team.

Tour de Blueberry was a blast except for the two girls in my group who crashed. We had to call 911. Both are accomplished cyclists and triathletes. Just goes to show you it can happen to anyone.

This weekend I am heading to Blowing Rock, NC to do Blood, Sweat and Gears. I am starting get a little nervous!
2023-06-20 5:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Quick question!

I am driving to Blowing Rock solo this weekend so I'll have a 5 hr drive up and 5 hr drive home. What are some of your favorite running/cycling/health podcasts?

I already listen to:

1. That Triathlon Life
2. Everyday Ironman Podcast
3. Rich Roll (not lately)
4. Crushing Iron podcast

If anyone is looking for a good book...try Die with Zero. Gives you a whole new take on life and how your spend your money!
2023-06-20 6:25 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Quick question! I am driving to Blowing Rock solo this weekend so I'll have a 5 hr drive up and 5 hr drive home. What are some of your favorite running/cycling/health podcasts? I already listen to: 1. That Triathlon Life 2. Everyday Ironman Podcast 3. Rich Roll (not lately) 4. Crushing Iron podcast If anyone is looking for a good book...try Die with Zero. Gives you a whole new take on life and how your spend your money!

I've heard good things about inside tri show. 

2023-06-20 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Hi Guys! I finally have a minute to catch up on BT. I've been super busy training, working and just having fun. I don't know much about bike racks so I cannot help out there. I generally just ride from home or through my bike in the back of my Kia Sportage. Scott has a ANOTHER brand new bike on the way. He bought a Specialized Road bike that is E-bike. He bought a brand new Quintaroo tri bike in the spring 2023 but has not been riding it b/c he decided to paddle & surf this summer rather than get back in triathlon. He says he's getting this bike so he can bike with me again. I am not sure where we are going to put all these bikes? Ha! I have a Fat tire bike, gravel bike and tri bike and Scott now has a fat tire bike, gravel bike, tri bike and ebike! He just left today to head to Florida then is taking a boat across to Bimini Bahamas then Saturday night he is paddle back across the Atlantic to Florida doing the Crossing for Cystic Fibrosis. I hope they have good weather. This year he's doing it on relay team. Tour de Blueberry was a blast except for the two girls in my group who crashed. We had to call 911. Both are accomplished cyclists and triathletes. Just goes to show you it can happen to anyone. This weekend I am heading to Blowing Rock, NC to do Blood, Sweat and Gears. I am starting get a little nervous!

I have never done BSG but I assume that it's popular for a reason.  I'm sure that you will crush it!

2023-06-20 10:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Quick question! I am driving to Blowing Rock solo this weekend so I'll have a 5 hr drive up and 5 hr drive home. What are some of your favorite running/cycling/health podcasts? I already listen to: 1. That Triathlon Life 2. Everyday Ironman Podcast 3. Rich Roll (not lately) 4. Crushing Iron podcast If anyone is looking for a good book...try Die with Zero. Gives you a whole new take on life and how your spend your money!

I've given the new Slowtwitch podcast a try (haha) and it's pretty good. I also listen to 303 High Endurance along with the occasional FastTalk.  

I liked some of the ideas behind Die with Zero but I also think that the author is coming from an extremely privileged place.

ETA

Not a tri podcast but Hit Play Not Pause is good too.

Edited by jmkizer 2023-06-20 10:41 AM
2023-06-20 7:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I am jealous of how much racing Leanne is doing - makes me acutely aware of how little I am and how much I used to do

Maybe next year we EAST coast people can find a cycling event to do together!
2023-06-21 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh no! I just saw that BSG is cancelled!  I'm so sorry, Leanne!

https://www.bloodsweatandgears.org/

2023-06-21 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

What a bummer, but it sounds like the only option. It's nice that they are transferring registration to next year and not making people pay - unlike what we've come to expect from certain brands. Of course, they are refunding money either, so there's that  

2023-06-21 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001

Racing Manatees!!!

June 17-18

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Maybe next year we EAST coast people can find a cycling event to do together!

That could be interesting! 

2023-06-21 1:42 PM

Originally posted by canadarn2001

Quick question!

I am driving to Blowing Rock solo this weekend so I'll have a 5 hr drive up and 5 hr drive home. What are some of your favorite running/cycling/health podcasts?

I already listen to:

1. That Triathlon Life
2. Everyday Ironman Podcast
3. Rich Roll (not lately)
4. Crushing Iron podcast

If anyone is looking for a good book...try Die with Zero. Gives you a whole new take on life and how your spend your money!

Proof of life check in. I've been keeping up with reading posts on here occasionally. Leeanne is killing it, way to go.

I've been trying to play a lot of catch up at work since my multiple trips to California in April/May. I really haven't been doing any tri related events lately, but have managed several rounds of golf with my son. He is joining a cyclocross program here in a few weeks though, so hopefully that will change things up a bit for us. The summer seems to be going by so fast here. I am driving my daughter back to college in just 6 weeks. Road trip through Canada should be fun.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Edit - I quoted the above and then completely forgot to comment on it. I downloaded the Die With Zero audio book the other day as well and look forward to listening to it!!!! Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by alaskatri 2023-06-21 1:43 PM
2023-06-21 1:58 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri
Proof of life check in. I've been keeping up with reading posts on here occasionally. Leeanne is killing it, way to go. I've been trying to play a lot of catch up at work since my multiple trips to California in April/May. I really haven't been doing any tri related events lately, but have managed several rounds of golf with my son. He is joining a cyclocross program here in a few weeks though, so hopefully that will change things up a bit for us. The summer seems to be going by so fast here. I am driving my daughter back to college in just 6 weeks. Road trip through Canada should be fun. Hope everyone is doing well. Edit - I quoted the above and then completely forgot to comment on it. I downloaded the Die With Zero audio book the other day as well and look forward to listening to it!!!! Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh, the Cx-parent thing should be so much fun!

I think that you'll enjoy Die with Zero if you take it the right way. I mean, I am never inviting all of my besties a weeklong island vacation (sorry to disappoint) but I get the underlying premise.

2023-06-21 3:01 PM

I am curious about transferring activities into BT training logs. I noticed on my June calendar I have several rounds of golf that I completed on the calendar. We usually play just 9 holes, and it takes about 2 hours to get through a round. Sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on whether the course is crowded and we have wait time. I record the rounds on my Garmin watch. I have the Garmin app set up to automatically record that to Strava, which it does. So for example, on Sunday I played a round and Garmin shows it took 2 hours and 16 minutes. That time is transferred to Strava and is correct.

I then have the Fitness Syncer app on my phone that transfers (I think 1x daily?) my activity data from Strava over here to BT training log. But, my round on Sunday shows up as having taken 1 hour and 1 minute, not 2:16. Some of my rounds from earlier this month show up as low as 44 minutes.

Any ideas on how to correct this? It is the same way I would get swim/bike/runs on to BT - they all go through Strava first. I haven't gone back to check accuracy of other activities.
2023-06-21 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have not done Escape from Alacatraz but have swum in the bay a couple of times (at Aquatic Park). It's really cold! The last time I swam there, water was described by a local as "unseasonably warm". Water temp turned out to be 56 (air temps in 90's). I only had my sleeveless shortie with me and swam for maybe 25 minutes. Could not feel my extremities after 5 minutes in! There is also a very long flight of stairs up from the beach. I think you do it twice??? (After swim exit and toward end of run? Only seen the race on a video.) Have "run" up it (or similar stairs at SF waterfront) in a run event. Definitely something to get a little practice with if possible. (Maybe a stair-master rep or flight of stairs in a building before biking/running?) It kinds of messes with your quads, and your rhythm.

Edited by Hot Runner 2023-06-21 6:00 PM
2023-06-21 6:03 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri I am curious about transferring activities into BT training logs. I noticed on my June calendar I have several rounds of golf that I completed on the calendar. We usually play just 9 holes, and it takes about 2 hours to get through a round. Sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on whether the course is crowded and we have wait time. I record the rounds on my Garmin watch. I have the Garmin app set up to automatically record that to Strava, which it does. So for example, on Sunday I played a round and Garmin shows it took 2 hours and 16 minutes. That time is transferred to Strava and is correct. I then have the Fitness Syncer app on my phone that transfers (I think 1x daily?) my activity data from Strava over here to BT training log. But, my round on Sunday shows up as having taken 1 hour and 1 minute, not 2:16. Some of my rounds from earlier this month show up as low as 44 minutes. Any ideas on how to correct this? It is the same way I would get swim/bike/runs on to BT - they all go through Strava first. I haven't gone back to check accuracy of other activities.

What does Garmin show in the "Timing" section?  It sounds like Strava is taking one number and FitnessSyncer is transferring the other?

Timing

11:43
Total Time

Work Time

2023-06-22 7:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

What a bummer, but it sounds like the only option. It's nice that they are transferring registration to next year and not making people pay - unlike what we've come to expect from certain brands. Of course, they are refunding money either, so there's that  

Ugh. I should be in Blowing Rock tonight but since they cancelled the event I stayed home. Looks like I'll be doing it next year!!
2023-06-22 7:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Ugh. I should be in Blowing Rock tonight but since they cancelled the event I stayed home. Looks like I'll be doing it next year!!
2023-06-23 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 24-25
Leanne - Blood, Sweat & Gears 95 mile cycle
Randee - IM CdL on Sunday (#455)

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2023-06-23 1:03 PM

Originally posted by alaskatri I am curious about transferring activities into BT training logs. I noticed on my June calendar I have several rounds of golf that I completed on the calendar. We usually play just 9 holes, and it takes about 2 hours to get through a round. Sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on whether the course is crowded and we have wait time. I record the rounds on my Garmin watch. I have the Garmin app set up to automatically record that to Strava, which it does. So for example, on Sunday I played a round and Garmin shows it took 2 hours and 16 minutes. That time is transferred to Strava and is correct. I then have the Fitness Syncer app on my phone that transfers (I think 1x daily?) my activity data from Strava over here to BT training log. But, my round on Sunday shows up as having taken 1 hour and 1 minute, not 2:16. Some of my rounds from earlier this month show up as low as 44 minutes. Any ideas on how to correct this? It is the same way I would get swim/bike/runs on to BT - they all go through Strava first. I haven't gone back to check accuracy of other activities.

What does Garmin show in the "Timing" section?  It sounds like Strava is taking one number and FitnessSyncer is transferring the other?

Timing

Total Time

Work Time

This is exactly what happened. Interesting. I didn't realize that golf would have two separate times. It seems to me the time might be pretty undervalued, particularly for those times we walk the course rather than ride a cart (we walk most of the time). We are definitely not standing still in a holding pattern for well over an hour, while only moving ~45 minutes. Thanks for letting me know, at least now I know where the numbers are coming from.

I also noticed that Garmin has another quirk. Whenever I run on a treadmill, Garmin will ask after the run if you want to calibrate the watch reading with the treadmill time/distance. I usually do that. But, when that info is transferred to Strava, it takes the pre-calibrated time and distance and records that, rather than the calibrated. Seems like an odd flaw to me.

Edited by alaskatri 2023-06-23 1:05 PM
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33