Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-06-02 2:37 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

June 3-4
Anne - Unbound Gravel
Leanne - Fleet Feet Big Run 5k

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Good Luck racers!

2023-06-02 9:49 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

June 3-4
Anne - Unbound Gravel
Leanne - Fleet Feet Big Run 5k

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Go Anne and Leanne!! Have a wondeful time!
2023-06-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
I ended up giving my 5km entry away this weekend. I'm not the biggest 5km fan and I know myself, I always try to run my best and I just didn't feel like it would benefit me.

However, the gal I gave the free race entry to was super excited so that made my day!
2023-06-07 8:23 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Seeking advice for a situation that Kevin has created.  He ordered a gravel bike yesterday.  The situation is that we need to be able to haul more bikes since he wants to bring two bikes with him everywhere --  along with my one bike and extra set of wheels. (And dog and dog gear and other bike gear.

I'm looking for recommendation for racks that can hold 3+ bikes.

2023-06-07 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Seeking advice for a situation that Kevin has created.  He ordered a gravel bike yesterday.  The situation is that we need to be able to haul more bikes since he wants to bring two bikes with him everywhere --  along with my one bike and extra set of wheels. (And dog and dog gear and other bike gear.

While catching up with the Manatees, I found out that Tuesday was "buy a gravel bike day."  It sounds like Leanne's household may be getting an addition as well!

2023-06-07 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Kevin has joined the gravel ranks - woo hoo! Regarding bike racks, I used to have the Yakima Double Down bike rack. It, in theory, holds 4 bikes. I think that is ambitious, but I routinely was able to get 3 bikes on it. All 3 were always road bikes, so I’m not sure whether mountain and gravel bikes would make the fit tighter. Can you add a platform to his platform rack?

2023-06-07 9:22 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Kevin has joined the gravel ranks - woo hoo! Regarding bike racks, I used to have the Yakima Double Down bike rack. It, in theory, holds 4 bikes. I think that is ambitious, but I routinely was able to get 3 bikes on it. All 3 were always road bikes, so I’m not sure whether mountain and gravel bikes would make the fit tighter. Can you add a platform to his platform rack?

I will ask about the additional platform. His current rack is really old and beaten up. I think that is part of the whole replacement idea.

The bike shop said that he was going to the Dark Side with this purchase.

2023-06-07 9:30 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

what do you have now?

If you can do it I love hitch racks (class III hitch) and any of the major players would be fine
1up
Thule
Kuat
Yakima

they all come in 2 pieces - 2 and then a 2 add on.

If you are going roof rack, just get the next size up bars then what's recommended so you can hang 2 off the sides and 2 in the middle.

Congrats on the new bike to Kevin! LOL!
2023-06-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

what do you have now? If you can do it I love hitch racks (class III hitch) and any of the major players would be fine 1up Thule Kuat Yakima they all come in 2 pieces - 2 and then a 2 add on. If you are going roof rack, just get the next size up bars then what's recommended so you can hang 2 off the sides and 2 in the middle. Congrats on the new bike to Kevin! LOL!

I *think* it's a Yakima Hold Up.  It's been rear ended at least once

I don't know that he has a preference of staying with Yakima or not.

2023-06-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

what do you have now? If you can do it I love hitch racks (class III hitch) and any of the major players would be fine 1up Thule Kuat Yakima they all come in 2 pieces - 2 and then a 2 add on. If you are going roof rack, just get the next size up bars then what's recommended so you can hang 2 off the sides and 2 in the middle. Congrats on the new bike to Kevin! LOL!

I would say Yakima is my least favorite of the group but if it works then keep it. See if you can just get the add on (if you have 2" hitch).

If people have any questions on compatibility I always tell people to call. Yakima and Thule have always been very helpful on the phone when I've had questions.

https://yakima.com/products/holdup-2-1

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2023-06-07 9:58 AM
2023-06-07 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I would say Yakima is my least favorite of the group but if it works then keep it. See if you can just get the add on (if you have 2" hitch). If people have any questions on compatibility I always tell people to call. Yakima and Thule have always been very helpful on the phone when I've had questions. https://yakima.com/products/holdup-2-1

I don't know that Kevin has a strong preference for Yakima.

What is your favorite of the group?

2023-06-07 10:43 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I would say Yakima is my least favorite of the group but if it works then keep it. See if you can just get the add on (if you have 2" hitch). If people have any questions on compatibility I always tell people to call. Yakima and Thule have always been very helpful on the phone when I've had questions. https://yakima.com/products/holdup-2-1

We've had a Thule for almost 20 years - and yeah it's been bumped twice (it happens because people are stupid). I've replaced a lot of the parts on it over time but it's been a great rack.

People love the Kuat - seems heavy to me - I'd check the unloaded weight before I bought it. People also love the 1up - I think you can even just get 3 on that if you prefer not to have 4. I want to say Nancy has one?!
2023-06-07 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We've had a Thule for almost 20 years - and yeah it's been bumped twice (it happens because people are stupid). I've replaced a lot of the parts on it over time but it's been a great rack. People love the Kuat - seems heavy to me - I'd check the unloaded weight before I bought it. People also love the 1up - I think you can even just get 3 on that if you prefer not to have 4. I want to say Nancy has one?!

I think Kevin is looking at the 1Up.  I forwarded your list to him and sent him down the rabbit hole!

He seems pretty excited about the new bike.  I said as long as he uses it...

2023-06-07 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

We've had a Thule for almost 20 years - and yeah it's been bumped twice (it happens because people are stupid). I've replaced a lot of the parts on it over time but it's been a great rack. People love the Kuat - seems heavy to me - I'd check the unloaded weight before I bought it. People also love the 1up - I think you can even just get 3 on that if you prefer not to have 4. I want to say Nancy has one?!

I think Kevin is looking at the 1Up.  I forwarded your list to him and sent him down the rabbit hole!

He seems pretty excited about the new bike.  I said as long as he uses it...

I have a Kuat Sherpa 2 and love it. It is significantly lighter than the old Thule I had.  But, it doesn't allow for an add on rack, for that he'd need to go for the NV2.  When I was looking a couple of years ago I almost went with the 1UP, but the Kuat was on sale, so I went with it.

2023-06-08 8:16 PM

User image

We bought the Yakima with the add on option last year before we drove to Oregon for the 70.3. Greg had buyers remorse until we used it. I highly recommend the Yakima.
2023-06-09 6:56 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Anyone in the market for a power meter? I came across this company who has one sided pedal power meters for just over $200! That is crazy. There is a video from the north American distributor that is interesting as well as a chart comparing these pedals to the more well-known players in the market.  This intrigues me enough to consider buying for when I use my gravel bike as a regular road bike.  Has anyone heard of this company? They look like they have only entered the market in the last year.

2023-06-09 8:17 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Anyone in the market for a power meter? I came across this company who has one sided pedal power meters for just over $200! That is crazy. There is a video from the north American distributor that is interesting as well as a chart comparing these pedals to the more well-known players in the market.  This intrigues me enough to consider buying for when I use my gravel bike as a regular road bike.  Has anyone heard of this company? They look like they have only entered the market in the last year.

I did some digging - and I think they had a huge shipping issue because they were sourcing parts from China. And they were apparently a kickstarter campaign (very successful).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468298434/cycling-power-meter-...

"Both IQ2 and Powermeterpedals are now on 15 day shipping direct from the factory in China. That means they have probably given up on quality control, so buyer beware, as you are having to do the QA for them, and will have to deal with any DOA units."

in a preproduction review DCR was impressed with the data but it sounds like they have QA issues to resolve.
2023-06-09 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I did some digging - and I think they had a huge shipping issue because they were sourcing parts from China. And they were apparently a kickstarter campaign (very successful). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468298434/cycling-power-meter-... "Both IQ2 and Powermeterpedals are now on 15 day shipping direct from the factory in China. That means they have probably given up on quality control, so buyer beware, as you are having to do the QA for them, and will have to deal with any DOA units." in a preproduction review DCR was impressed with the data but it sounds like they have QA issues to resolve.

Thanks for the link -I will stay away!!

2023-06-09 10:54 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm a little late to the bike rack discussion, but I have been very happy with my Thule.  I mainly use the 2 but also have the +2 and haul 4 bikes.  I've had mine quite a few years and it's held up very well.  I had to laugh, when I bought the original rack, fat bikes weren't a thing but when I bought the +2, it has cups that allow for regular or fat bikes - the old one really shows its age in that way!

I like that you can put any size or shape bike on there with ease.  Prior to the Thule I had a hanging rack which SUCKED!!  It scratched paint and it was incredibly awkward to haul two MTB with their frame geometry. 

2023-06-09 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I did some digging - and I think they had a huge shipping issue because they were sourcing parts from China. And they were apparently a kickstarter campaign (very successful). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468298434/cycling-power-meter-... "Both IQ2 and Powermeterpedals are now on 15 day shipping direct from the factory in China. That means they have probably given up on quality control, so buyer beware, as you are having to do the QA for them, and will have to deal with any DOA units." in a preproduction review DCR was impressed with the data but it sounds like they have QA issues to resolve.

Thanks for the link -I will stay away!!

I have a $250 Stages factory refurb on my gravel bike. I really didn't care about any "blemish" considering the gravel that would be hitting it.  It looks like with inflation, it's up to $315 or more.

https://stagescycling.com/en_us/product/power-meters/shimano/grx

I'm assuming that your gravel bike is GRX but maybe it's a model year before GRX was release?

2023-06-09 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Janyne - Loudoun gravel grinder - Sunday
Anne - Ride the Rockies (Sunday through Saturday)

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2023-06-09 5:29 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

I'm a little late to the bike rack discussion, but I have been very happy with my Thule.  I mainly use the 2 but also have the +2 and haul 4 bikes.  I've had mine quite a few years and it's held up very well.  I had to laugh, when I bought the original rack, fat bikes weren't a thing but when I bought the +2, it has cups that allow for regular or fat bikes - the old one really shows its age in that way!

I like that you can put any size or shape bike on there with ease.  Prior to the Thule I had a hanging rack which SUCKED!!  It scratched paint and it was incredibly awkward to haul two MTB with their frame geometry. 

So pretty much it's a good better best situation with a bit of discussion of the ranking 

2023-06-09 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Go Manatees go! Fingers crossed the smoke disappears for Loudoun.

2023-06-12 10:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Oooh!  Oooh!  Me!  Me!  (for once).  Yesterday I did the John Apple (local beloved swim coach who has passed away) 'Swim-A-Bridge' challenge.  Swimmers pick from the Brooklyn Bridge (.5 mi), Wrightsville Bridge (1 mi), Golden Gate Bridge (1.7 mi), Pensacola Bay Bridge (3 mi), Chesapeake Bay Bridge (4.4 mi), or the 7 Mile Bridge (6.8 mi) and raise money for the mission of the John Apple Swim Fund, which is to provide scholarships for swimmers in need of them.

The most fun parts are it's at an outdoor pool (which I don't have opportunities to swim at regularly) and my crew of friends make up the majority of the swimmers.  The weather was perfect for it yesterday with sunshine, a breeze, and brisk pool water, around 67*F.  There was still an air quality alert in the orange, but it didn't look or smell smoky like a couple days ago.  It did affect my breathing some but I was able to persevere and complete the Pensacola Bay Bridge Challenge.  I was happy I could finish it (admittedly it got a little rough in the waning 600-800 meters) since I hadn't been swimming more than once a week and only  a mile and a half max a couple weeks ago.

Great day with friends for a good cause, complete with 'part 2' of food and drinks at a local brewery!

2023-06-12 1:48 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Oooh!  Oooh!  Me!  Me!  (for once).  Yesterday I did the John Apple (local beloved swim coach who has passed away) 'Swim-A-Bridge' challenge.  Swimmers pick from the Brooklyn Bridge (.5 mi), Wrightsville Bridge (1 mi), Golden Gate Bridge (1.7 mi), Pensacola Bay Bridge (3 mi), Chesapeake Bay Bridge (4.4 mi), or the 7 Mile Bridge (6.8 mi) and raise money for the mission of the John Apple Swim Fund, which is to provide scholarships for swimmers in need of them.

The most fun parts are it's at an outdoor pool (which I don't have opportunities to swim at regularly) and my crew of friends make up the majority of the swimmers.  The weather was perfect for it yesterday with sunshine, a breeze, and brisk pool water, around 67*F.  There was still an air quality alert in the orange, but it didn't look or smell smoky like a couple days ago.  It did affect my breathing some but I was able to persevere and complete the Pensacola Bay Bridge Challenge.  I was happy I could finish it (admittedly it got a little rough in the waning 600-800 meters) since I hadn't been swimming more than once a week and only  a mile and a half max a couple weeks ago.

Great day with friends for a good cause, complete with 'part 2' of food and drinks at a local brewery!

No option for the San Mateo - Hayward Bridge (7 miles)?  I guess it is not needed if you have the 7 miles bridge (6.8).  When I lived in the Bay Area I crossed that bridge east bound by mistake on a few occasions. The  last exit to not take the bridge is like a mile before you get to the bridge.  You can't even see the bay when you have to get off for the last exit.  Then you are stuck with not exit for like a half hour.  Every time I missed that last exit it was torcher.  :-)  I am a mile swim type of guy though.  I would have done the Wrightsville Bridge. 

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33