Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-10-13 2:43 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Happy Friday, Manatees!

Is anyone racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Fun this weekend:  it's the home opener for the Hershey Bears (AHL ice hockey team for which I have partial season tickets) and my niece and her BF are coming with me, yay!

Fun last weekend (sorry I'm late mentioning this): my first hockey game of the season for my team, we won 5-1!  I would've had a shutout but on a save I made, the crook of my leg pad at the ankle was beyond the red line on a weird side-angle shot and the hawk-eyed ref correctly saw the puck was in, just in.  Ugh, but it was the correct call!

My dad grew up in East Bangor, PA and I still have family there. I remember as a kid that Hershey Park was the first amusement park I ever went to. Good memory. I am hoping to get back to the pool this weekend. I haven't been all summer because there were always other things to do.

Is golf over now?

2023-10-16 9:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Happy Friday, Manatees!

Fun this weekend:  it's the home opener for the Hershey Bears (AHL ice hockey team for which I have partial season tickets) and my niece and her BF are coming with me, yay!

Fun last weekend (sorry I'm late mentioning this): my first hockey game of the season for my team, we won 5-1!  I would've had a shutout but on a save I made, the crook of my leg pad at the ankle was beyond the red line on a weird side-angle shot and the hawk-eyed ref correctly saw the puck was in, just in.  Ugh, but it was the correct call!

My dad grew up in East Bangor, PA and I still have family there. I remember as a kid that Hershey Park was the first amusement park I ever went to. Good memory. I am hoping to get back to the pool this weekend. I haven't been all summer because there were always other things to do.
You wouldn't recognize Hershey Park any more, heck, I barely recognize Hershey Park any more and I've gone there all my life!  They've really made some changes in the past few years.

Good luck getting back to the pool!

2023-10-16 8:55 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey y'all, Janyne reached out to let me know about the recent "announcement" from Alice. I must admit I have been surprised every year that BT has managed to remain open for the past 3 or 4 years. The lack of a quality mobile solution has just been a deal breaker of sorts for me. Work began blocking the site a few years back and I have become a whole lot more phone centric at this point. All that said, I believe the real question becomes "What's next?" I don't believe the chat ability in Strava is powerful enough for y'all. We did some testing with Geneva a few years back and it worked fairly well. If TR has something, that may work. All in all, there are a variety of other options, because I don't believe that BT will be up and running in a couple of years. I know that some of us have some old training data out here, but that only reminds me of the age old asage, "If you are not paying for the service, you are the service".  There is no way that someone keeps investing time and effort without getting something back, and I find it hard to believe that Allice can't find a way to monetize this. I guess there is a limited market for such a thing. So, whichever option you choose, I'll continue reading along and popping in on a very occasional basis  

I hope all is well with each and every one of you. 

As always, thank you for reaching out Janyne.

I feel a bit like we are all treading water while we wait and see what will happen.  I hope that we're able to keep our little community together.

x2. I also think part of the quietness in our group is there has been a lot less racing since COVID. I know I haven't raced at all this year and in '20 and '21 probably raced 2.5 x per year. That is significantly less than I formerly raced which leads to less to talk about  

This saddens me. BT has been a wonderful way to interact and the Manatees have been huge. I have made some great friends through BT and it was my sole support and information source when I first started triathlon. I have been scarce because of dealing with life and haven't been able to keep up lately, but dang! I hate this. Please let me know where the Pod ends up.
2023-10-17 5:00 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
So just catching up on everything. Life has been busy lately so I haven’t been on the forum much over the past few weeks.

I’m worried if we don’t create something soon we will all lose connection with each other! Believe it or not, I love chatting all things swim, bike, run with you people. I think my husband is grateful for you all as well because if I chat with you all I don’t have to bore him with it! Ha, ha!

Should we all put our emails out there and one person maybe create a spreadsheet so if we do have to create our own group on another forum we can?

I tried to look at Geneva and the other website but the links had experienced. Can we log our workout stuff there as well? I am sort of shocked Strava has not come up with a forums section.

I’m goind IMNC 70.3 this weekend as a duathlon, I mean relay! I was asked originally to bike and now bike/run. Weather looks undesirable. Windy with chance of rain!
2023-10-22 7:50 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by canadarn2001So just catching up on everything. Life has been busy lately so I haven’t been on the forum much over the past few weeks.I’m worried if we don’t create something soon we will all lose connection with each other! Believe it or not, I love chatting all things swim, bike, run with you people. I think my husband is grateful for you all as well because if I chat with you all I don’t have to bore him with it! Ha, ha!Should we all put our emails out there and one person maybe create a spreadsheet so if we do have to create our own group on another forum we can? I tried to look at Geneva and the other website but the links had experienced. Can we log our workout stuff there as well? I am sort of shocked Strava has not come up with a forums section.I’m goind IMNC 70.3 this weekend as a duathlon, I mean relay! I was asked originally to bike and now bike/run. Weather looks undesirable. Windy with chance of rain!
How did your race go?
2023-10-22 12:33 PM

Happy Friday, Manatees!

Is golf over now?

Unfortunately, yes. It was 16 degrees here this morning. No snow yet, but our local course closed on Sept. 30. Last winter we set up a golf simulator in the garage though so we can play there year round. I found a local projector used on FB marketplace for it. A couple weeks ago I went to turn it on and it is no longer working. I think our recent power outage (we lost power at our house for 3 days) might have surged it and killed it. I just ordered another projector, new this time, so it should be here in a couple weeks. Time to get back on the swim/bike/run train though for sure. I am up for following all of you to a third party site if we end up having to go that route.

2023-10-23 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Friday, Manatees!

Is golf over now?

Unfortunately, yes. It was 16 degrees here this morning. No snow yet, but our local course closed on Sept. 30. Last winter we set up a golf simulator in the garage though so we can play there year round. I found a local projector used on FB marketplace for it. A couple weeks ago I went to turn it on and it is no longer working. I think our recent power outage (we lost power at our house for 3 days) might have surged it and killed it. I just ordered another projector, new this time, so it should be here in a couple weeks. Time to get back on the swim/bike/run train though for sure. I am up for following all of you to a third party site if we end up having to go that route.

We need to find you a swim, bike, golf triathlon!

2023-10-23 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hope that Ann-Marie is recovering well (as well as can be expected, that is) and that Robin's surgery goes well today!

Sending all the positive thoughts their way!

2023-10-23 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I hope that Ann-Marie is recovering well (as well as can be expected, that is) and that Robin's surgery goes well today!

Thanks, I think Im recovering well, the Dr will tell me on Wednesday at my follow up visit! Good luck Robin!

2023-10-24 5:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I ran across this and thought, "They look like Manatees to me!"

Edited by jmkizer 2023-10-24 5:47 AM

(Nessie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Nessie.jpg (71KB - 16 downloads)
2023-10-24 6:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I ran across this and thought, "They look like Manatees to me!"

Definitely manatees!

2023-10-24 8:15 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Awww I didn't know you guys were having surgery. Hope all goes well - heal up fast!
2023-10-25 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I stopped by Slowtwitch today and my eye was caught by a thread with this title:

Newb question: why don't the women go harder at IMWC?

This is based on a very low DNF rate -- I guess 97% of women who went to Kona this year finished the race. 

Maybe it should have been called, why aren't men better at pacing themselves?

Edited by jmkizer 2023-10-25 8:43 AM
2023-10-25 9:21 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Awww I didn't know you guys were having surgery. Hope all goes well - heal up fast!
The surgery was sudden. On Tuesday it was scheduled for March 2024. I begged to be considered if anyone canceled. I got a call 8 am Wednesday for me to have surgery on Minday..i will be healed by the time the original surgery was scheduled.
2023-10-25 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I stopped by Slowtwitch today and my eye was caught by a thread with this title:

This is based on a very low DNF rate -- I guess 97% of women who went to Kona this year finished the race. 

Exactly, Janyne. Going too fast and bottoming out is not the goal. Finishing is.
2023-10-25 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I saw that thread too. Then there is the complaining thread that IM has new ways for women to quality for world championships and its efforts to get more women participants. It’s amazing the amount of misogyny on that site. Of course, this attitude is nothing new.

2023-10-25 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I saw that thread too. Then there is the complaining thread that IM has new ways for women to quality for world championships and its efforts to get more women participants. It’s amazing the amount of misogyny on that site. Of course, this attitude is nothing new.

Don't we all know it!

2023-10-25 10:29 AM

Don't we all know it!

I am going to write this without trying to come off as misogynistic, so please do not take it that way, cause I like it here. :-)

I looked at both of those threads. The thing that really jumped out at me in the "Why don't the women go harder" thread was the very first response --> "You are asking why the women have good whole-race plans? I suppose I’d ask why some people don’t plan for the full thing." Seems to be the best response one could give. In fairness, I think the OP of that thread did at least point at up front that he was a "newb." I do think it would be strange to watch two different races as someone brand new to watching triathlons and see most of the women finish and see all the men bonk. Also, as misogynistic as some of the posts come off in that thread, there were also a whole lot posts about women being more sensible, having more common sense, being better at pacing, and being more rational. As a guy, admittedly, I agree with all of those attributes. Haha.

As for the second thread about qualifications, I don't really have a lot of buy-in on what should or should not be the proper qualifications for WC's. Nor have I ever given it much thought about whether there are more men vs more women doing tris. What did jump out at me was the first post there though that started with "Underwhelming response for the women's Nice 2024 events..." It made me think about Alice's post here a couple weeks back that we've already discussed. Not in terms of men vs women, but simply in terms of triathlon in general being way down from its peak participation - Alice's words were that triathlon "has fallen off from its high point" (which has led to only a handful of us left on this site). It seems like some of us - maybe many of us - got interested in this to begin with after watching the Kona race on NBC. It seems like watching it has been a tradition for so long. Admittedly, I've been really busy the last couple months with work and other stuff, but I didn't even realize Kona was coming up. I don't think it was on tv this year, you had to go to youtube or IM website to watch. I saw a post after the fact about Lucy Charles-Barclay finally winning the race (I think I've seen all of her runner-up races) and immediately went to youtube to watch it.

Maybe I just missed it, but it seemed like it is way less advertised these days? It also just feels like the numbers and the general public interest in tri is/has faded so much, and I do wonder what USAT and IM and other tri organizations can do to continue connecting with the general public to keep them interested in this. In the long run, I think trying to get more people connected back into this would be better for all of us. I agree that the conclusion of "gee, I guess we should give women more WC slots then to combat this problem" is kind of a dumb reach, but WC's are out of reach for 99.9% of us anyway. I don't care how many slots people get, I just hope that somehow the organizers find a way to connect these races back to regular folks to spark the interests again.

(edited a couple spelling errors)

Edited by alaskatri 2023-10-25 10:31 AM
2023-10-25 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Don't we all know it!

I am going to write this without trying to come off as misogynistic, so please do not take it that way, cause I like it here. :-) I looked at both of those threads. The thing that really jumped out at me in the "Why don't the women go harder" thread was the very first response --> "You are asking why the women have good whole-race plans? I suppose I’d ask why some people don’t plan for the full thing." Seems to be the best response one could give. In fairness, I think the OP of that thread did at least point at up front that he was a "newb." I do think it would be strange to watch two different races as someone brand new to watching triathlons and see most of the women finish and see all the men bonk. Also, as misogynistic as some of the posts come off in that thread, there were also a whole lot posts about women being more sensible, having more common sense, being better at pacing, and being more rational. As a guy, admittedly, I agree with all of those attributes. Haha. As for the second thread about qualifications, I don't really have a lot of buy-in on what should or should not be the proper qualifications for WC's. Nor have I ever given it much thought about whether there are more men vs more women doing tris. What did jump out at me was the first post there though that started with "Underwhelming response for the women's Nice 2024 events..." It made me think about Alice's post here a couple weeks back that we've already discussed. Not in terms of men vs women, but simply in terms of triathlon in general being way down from its peak participation - Alice's words were that triathlon "has fallen off from its high point" (which has led to only a handful of us left on this site). It seems like some of us - maybe many of us - got interested in this to begin with after watching the Kona race on NBC. It seems like watching it has been a tradition for so long. Admittedly, I've been really busy the last couple months with work and other stuff, but I didn't even realize Kona was coming up. I don't think it was on tv this year, you had to go to youtube or IM website to watch. I saw a post after the fact about Lucy Charles-Barclay finally winning the race (I think I've seen all of her runner-up races) and immediately went to youtube to watch it. Maybe I just missed it, but it seemed like it is way less advertised these days? It also just feels like the numbers and the general public interest in tri is/has faded so much, and I do wonder what USAT and IM and other tri organizations can do to continue connecting with the general public to keep them interested in this. In the long run, I think trying to get more people connected back into this would be better for all of us. I agree that the conclusion of "gee, I guess we should give women more WC slots then to combat this problem" is kind of a dumb reach, but WC's are out of reach for 99.9% of us anyway. I don't care how many slots people get, I just hope that somehow the organizers find a way to connect these races back to regular folks to spark the interests again. (edited a couple spelling errors)

Not to get too deep into this, but the very concept of the thread _why don't women race harder, is sexist. Yes, there were men giving pats on the back to women for racing to completion not trying to get the most out of themselves, but that is also BS statement on its face.  I saw one woman try to chime in with a response and her answer was dismissed out of hand. So a number of men were answering a sexist question with their own reasons. We are so used to this built-in sexism we don't even recognize it anymore!  A couple of men pointed out the sexism inherent in the topic etc. The women's qualification thread is mainly a bunch of men butt hurt that they don't get the same # of qualification spots they used to get and now actually have to share with women who they have decided are less worthy. I certainly don't mean any of this as an attack on you or your observations. You are welcome to stay here 

As far as the popularity of triathlon goes, it definitely has fallen off the last several years. When I first started in 2010 I'd see posts of people having to volunteer at races so they could be on site to get first dibs for next year's race. Races sold out all the time. Now races are open often through race day! 70.3s seem to have overtaken 140.6s in popularity. To me, that makes sense as training for a full is soooooo time-consuming.. The half is much more reasonable. Races are also very expensive, especially when you factor in the multiple-night hotel (or VRBO)stays that are required for those WTC events. Shockingly  the hotels bump up their nightly rates to outrageous proportions which just add to the fun!

2023-10-25 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yes, the popularity of triathlon has fallen and a lot if that, I think, has to do with Ironman (the company), itself.  They made the general public think that Ironman IS triatlon and we all know that is not the case.  In fact, the 140.6 distance no longer seems to be the moneymaker for Ironman.  They have successfully "rebranded" the 70.3 distance.

Regarding sexism on ST, that's always been the case. This is a site that created a "The Womens" space which itself is not free of men telling women how things are despite the description "If you are female or if you need the wise counsel of female triathletes, this forum is dedicated to you."  In fairness, I gave up on it years ago after too many men throwing in their two cents on women's gear, bodies, etc.

2023-10-26 11:06 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Yes, the popularity of triathlon has fallen and a lot if that, I think, has to do with Ironman (the company), itself.  They made the general public think that Ironman IS triatlon and we all know that is not the case.  In fact, the 140.6 distance no longer seems to be the moneymaker for Ironman.  They have successfully "rebranded" the 70.3 distance.

Regarding sexism on ST, that's always been the case. This is a site that created a "The Womens" space which itself is not free of men telling women how things are despite the description "If you are female or if you need the wise counsel of female triathletes, this forum is dedicated to you."  In fairness, I gave up on it years ago after too many men throwing in their two cents on women's gear, bodies, etc.

I am on ST from time to time, but I guess not in the pass week because I didn't see any of these treads.  I have never been on the women's thread on ST so I don't know what is discussed there, but know that the Triathlon thread on ST is dominated by men.

I will say there are few women that give me a run for my money.  I am at the pointy end of the my age group for the men and so when there are women beating me I know that they are in class and competing on a level I can't even comprehend.  The guys on ST who are talking big because they have an 87 composite USAT score might not see many women around them on the course but there are ladies who are coming in right behind them that are getting a USAT scores of 97 and they are much more impressive and inspiring.  They are pacing better, pushing harder, competing at a higher level.  They don't have to "try" hard because as master Yoda taught there is not try.  You do, or do not.  Those ladies are doing.   

2023-10-26 11:45 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I am on ST from time to time, but I guess not in the pass week because I didn't see any of these treads.  I have never been on the women's thread on ST so I don't know what is discussed there, but know that the Triathlon thread on ST is dominated by men.

I will say there are few women that give me a run for my money.  I am at the pointy end of the my age group for the men and so when there are women beating me I know that they are in class and competing on a level I can't even comprehend.  The guys on ST who are talking big because they have an 87 composite USAT score might not see many women around them on the course but there are ladies who are coming in right behind them that are getting a USAT scores of 97 and they are much more impressive and inspiring.  They are pacing better, pushing harder, competing at a higher level.  They don't have to "try" hard because as master Yoda taught there is not try.  You do, or do not.  Those ladies are doing.   

Love it!

2023-10-27 7:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yesterday, Ann-Marie commented that I have my 2024 season all figured out!  While I don't agree 100%, I do have a decent outline for the first part of the year and I did load up a TrainerRoad plan yesterday.  What do you plan/hope to do for the rest of this year and the first half of 2024? Do you plan to take some time off to have an "off season?" Do you plan more strength or mobility or yoga during the winter months ore maybe you are switching sports to have a "run season" or "cycling season" -- or "ski season?" 

I'd love to hear what you have in mind!

2023-10-27 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yesterday, Ann-Marie commented that I have my 2024 season all figured out!  While I don't agree 100%, I do have a decent outline for the first part of the year and I did load up a TrainerRoad plan yesterday.  What do you plan/hope to do for the rest of this year and the first half of 2024? Do you plan to take some time off to have an "off season?" Do you plan more strength or mobility or yoga during the winter months ore maybe you are switching sports to have a "run season" or "cycling season" -- or "ski season?" 

I'd love to hear what you have in mind!

Good question/s! I have a general idea of what i'd (probably) like to do next year. My immediate goal is to get recovered, get the ok to start running, and then suck up the frustration that will come from trying to get my run back. I know I do better embracing the suck when I have an event that I really want to do, so I am hoping for a May HM in Bryson City. Since it's not on Glory Hound's calendar yet I can't say for sure this is a go. The 2d race is Augusta 70.3. Injury this year made me transfer from Choo to Augusta and then cancel Augusta, so I am contemplating whether I want to try for Augusta in 2024.  I also know I need to commit to doing mobility work, so once I can get into PT I hope I can start in on that. Lastly, I really, really, really need to get my nutrition back on track as this year has been sad in that regard!  I'm sure there will be more things added to the calendar once I know where I am with my recovery.

2023-10-27 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Love it!

x2 - love all of the thoughts about 'better pacing' and re-framing the questions. I have a very similar feeling about ST in general - I get the feeling with quite a few of them they want it to only be those guys who are really "serious" about it (ie, the dilution of the Ironman so 'anyone' can finish and always looking for more exclusive things). I agree with Ann-Marie about qualification ... I don't know what the right answer is or if there is one. It's really up to Ironman. It's all made up - and for all except the pro spots, it's a hobby! 

But overall I did keep an eye on the Kona race and just LOVED following along.  Hello, Melanie McQuaid qualifying as a pro at 50!!!? And, she finished even though she tested + for covid the next day. 

I mean, triathlon is a hard sport to get into and to stay in. It's $$ for a bike and other gear, it's $ and time find and get in a pool on a regular basis, it's all the volume. If you do hang around a place like ST you get the feeling that you have to be doing ALL the things in order to make it worth it or why are you trying? It's a lot of logistics to even stay in over time when life gets busy or changes. So i do wonder about how to get people to move up or down the distance as life shifts to stay with it or find ways to come back to. It's not Ironman or nothing ... 

Edited by juniperjen 2023-10-27 11:46 AM
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33