Family
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 49m 20s
Overall Rank = 1/1
Age Group = 50+
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Preparation: I made a table in Word for a list of everything I needed from food/water and gear from the time I woke up until my event was over. I awoke at 6:00 a.m. Since I drank tons of water the day before, I was well hydrated. Race morning, I drank 16 ozs at 7:00 a.m., 2 hours before as recommended. At one hour before, I drank 8 more ozs.of water. At 7:00 I tried to eat oatmeal because I love it and read that it stays with you the longest. I almost gagged because as a rule, I cannot eat until after I've been up 3-4 hours. By that time, I'd be in my tri. What to do? I drank a protein drink, packed cheese, crackers, a powerbar and my cooked oatmeal and headed 30 miles to town to my friend's house. Family and friends were having a celebration brunch after my tri so I took all the food to my friend's house before going to the pool to begin my event. By 8:15, I was able to eat my oatmeal. at 8:45, 30 minutes before start time, I ate my real power food, my Melalueca Access Bar. It powered me through all my workouts.
Event warmup:

I laid out all my gear for after the swim in the locker room and headed to the pool. Took a warm shower, got in the water, and just bobbed around while I waited for the start. This is called My Own Triathlon because I couldn't do my orginally scheduled event after a year of training because my back went out. At that point, my adult kids decided to organize a tri just for me! Daughter, Becky (3 time tri-athlete and 1 time marathoner) conducted it just like the real thing. Son,John(2 time tri-athlete and 2 time marathoner), put my name and contestant number on the back of my legs: 55/1. A great beginning! The countdown began: "5-4-3-2-1- Go!"
Swim
  • 15m 48s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

For the swim ,I did free style, side stroke and backstroke. Swim was a piece of cake. I felt relaxed, comfortable and not stressed at all. I breath with every right stroke on the free style and stayed in a good rhythm with it. I concentrated on doing each stroke the best I could. The laps flew by.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing! This was a great swim experience for me, really built my confidence. I had plenty of energy.
Transition 1
  • 06m 49s
Comments:

My daughter, event coordinator, allowed me to change my clothes since she knew I would be more comfortable biking and running in my biking clothes. I had everything laid out in the locker room. I dried off while getting from pool to locker room. Stripped from my suit in the restroom since I had a need to potty. Wrapped my towel around me to get to dressing room. Applied generous amounts of baby powder on my feet first to allow them to dry while I dressed. Put shoes and socks on last, applied sunscreen, threw all my swim gear into my bag and speedily walked out the door. The rest of T1 was at my car in the parking lot. I had laid out my helmet, gloves, sunglasses and sport drink bottle on front seat. My bike was leaning up against the car. just hopped on, put my foot on the pedal and took off with my son biking with me, as my personal coach. My husband and daughter drove the car to T2 location, our friends' house.

Not a thing. I was really pleased with how neatly organized I was. It all worked out according to plan.
Bike
  • 49m 8s
  • 10.7 miles
  • 13.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking is my favorite part. It's what I did to get my endurance up over the last year. I got a road bike 2 months prior, as opposed to doing it on a mtn bike. I was real comfortable with my gears. I hauled on the downhills and the straight-aways. I had a blast, except for that darn hill near the end! My booster club of friends had course maps and 4 cars. They'd drive to a spot, jump out of the car, scream and yell, waving their signs as I biked by. I never knew when or where or who would show up next. My kids laid out the bike course so I'd have the worst hill at the end! Bummer! It was a hairpin curve into the hill then BAM, I was on the hill with no opp to prep. I have always hated this particular hill and this time was no better. I didn't think I would make it. My son was urging me on, tears were streaming down my face, I wanted to come off my bike. Then I looked up and there was Julie, part of my booster club, on the hill with a sign, cheering me on. When I got to the top of the hill, there was my daughter. As I rounded the last curve before the straight-away to T2, there were 1/2 dozen more friends with their wonderful signs, screaming and yelling for me. They caused such a commotion, cars on the road started honking their horns for me too!

More hill practice. I commute home from work 8 miles, 2-3 times a week with one monster hill. I was grading my growth on that hill and getting better but it was never easy. I have several hills out in the country where I live that I was getting better on. I thought I was doing those hills well, they were getting easier. In spite of that, the last hill on my race threw me. I guess my legs were just getting tired. I plan to conquer the hills (Lance wins in the mountains, I want to too!).
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

My car was T2 again. I had my running shoes, visor, facial wipes, a snack and fresh water bottles on the back seat. Someone took my bike from me the second I got off it. I changed shoes, grabbed my facial wipe, handed my son two water bottles, one for each of us, and we took off. My son stayed on the bike for my run. I was about 50 feet from T2 when I remembered that I forgot my grapes (fresh and cold!). I wanted to go back and my son said, "no! sorry! better luck next time!"

Someway, somehow, I want to break every so gently into running so I can do more triathlons. It was running that caused my back to go out, took me out of training and thus I missed my orginally scheduled triathon. After that, I didn't run a step because I wasn't taking any chances before My Own Triathlon. If I had the energy, I decided beforehand that I would run and worry about my back later. Luckily, it never hurt me at all. I'm fine. I don't want running to be my slowest event when I'm feeling so good about swimming and biking.
Run
  • 36m 14s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 14m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out of the cul de sac then started walking because my legs were tired and felt like lead. My son again chimed in, "no, Mom! No walking. You have to walk, I don't care how slow, if you don't, you'll never get rid of that feeling in your legs and besides, they'll cramp up on you." I'm thinking, "son, if you're feeding me a line, you will be in such trouble!" I ran 2 blocks to a parked car, then walked a block because I knew a hill was coming. I didn't know how I was going to make 2.5 miles. My son said,"Mom, run to the end of the fence." I looked up and saw that the end of the fence was at the top of the hill! I put my head down and as a distraction, I started singing to myself. I sang my grandson's favorite song. At the top of the hill, I walked a block, then there they were - my booster club, out in full force, all 8 of them, screaming and carrying on again. Sherry ran with me for a block, chit-chatting , at my request to distract me. My husband ran with me for another block. His pace exactly matched mine. I could feel his energy transferring to me. I felt lighter! Back on my own, all of a sudden, my legs felt real warm and comfortable. It was the weirdest feeling. At that point, I knew I'd make it. I put my head down and kept running. In my head I sang EVERY song I sing to my grandson, as total distraction, and just let my legs do their thing. My son said later he could tell I was realy concentrating.

The best thing I did was taking that facial wipe with me. I doused it with water and wiped my face and neck 1/2 dozen times during the race. If I overheated, it would be all over. I'm susceptible to heat exhaustion. It had been up to 95 degrees the past week. Luckily, it cooled a bit, was still early enough and a bit overcast.
Post race
Warm down:

When I rounded the corner to the cul de sac , I had enough energy to laugh at the path my booster club had chalked on the road. It said,'finish' with an arrow pointing the way. Then I looked up and the whole bunch of them were there, two of them holding a red, white and blue starred ribbon across the clearly marked Finish line. I raised my arms up over my head and jubilantly crossed it. My daughter placed a jeweled tiara on my head. My friends handed me the biggest bouquet of flowers I had ever received. My daughter fashioned the finish line ribbon into a sash that I wore. With the flowers, the sash and the crown, I truly felt like Miss America. I did a l-o-n-g cooldown, walking around and around. I was so hot, the sweat kept pouring off my face. I wasn't tired, just HOT. I did my usual stretching routine, cooled down outside some more, then went inside for a long shower and a change of clothes. I felt wonderful and special. We celebrated my victory with a brunch in my friends beautiful back yard as I gave details of my event.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My goal was 3 fold: to finish, healthfully and happily. Time was a non-issue, although I hoped to finish in 2 hours max. I was totally delighted to finish in 1:49 in spite of my long, almost 7 minute T1 transition and the slow run.

Event comments:

I could not have had a better first triathlon. I hoped my friends would come to see me but I had no idea of the energy and enthusiasm they would outpour. It was overwhelming. My kids were so supportive and wanting to make this the 'real thing' for me. My husband supported my 5 days a week of training. It's kinda like labor. You know it's coming whether you're prepared or not, so you better practice your breathing exercises. I did not want to drown, or not have enough energy or not finish, so I put my all into my training. I was very blest, it all worked out wonderful! I'm hooked! My goal is to do an open water swim tri next summer!

Last updated: 2004-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:48 | 440 yards | 03m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1
Performance: Good
I wanted to do my first tri in a pool as a comfort level since I am a non-swimmer and almost drowned twice as a kid. 3 months prior, I had taken private lessons and was awed by the techniques involved and eager to practice, practce, practice. I got better and more confident as I practiced.
Suit: racing swimsuit
Course: 18 lengths of a pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:49
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:08 | 10.7 miles | 13.10 mile/hr
Overall: 1/1
Wind: None
Course: The start was a gentle hill, flat, then gentle downhill for several miles through residential neighborhoods, small grade uphills, steeper downhills as I got into main street traffic, had to avoid sewer lids. Then a long grade uphill but I was okay.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:14 | 02.5 miles | 14m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 1/1
Performance: Below average
Course: A loop around the neighborhood, one hill up, the same hill down, long straight-aways.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-07-27 2:43 AM

Spokane Washington
Subject: My Own Triathlon

2004-07-27 9:49 AM
in reply to: #40680

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: My Own Triathlon
What a great report, and what fabulous friends and family you have! Congratulations!!

Kelly
2004-07-27 10:22 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Rosalie, you are an inspiration! I have been racing for 3 years and just finished Ironman Coeur D'alene, up in your beautiful part of the planet, and I want to go and race today because of you! Great Race!

Go Fast Mark

"Some people dream of great accomplishments, while others stay awake and actually do them."

(anonymous)
2004-07-27 1:50 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
That is too cool!  What wonderful supporters you have!  Great job!
2004-07-27 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Excellent play-by-play commentary! Congratulations! You did great!!
2004-07-29 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Great support you've got from your family and friends! Awesome job! I'm very proud of you!!! How does your back feel today??? LW PS>> It was hard to read your race report without smiling to myself!!! What a cool idea.

Edited by Whizzer 2004-07-29 10:35 AM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My Own Triathlon Rss Feed