WTC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 16h 47m 17s
Overall Rank = 2093/2192
Age Group = W 30-34
Age Group Rank = 107/114
Pre-race routine:

On Friday the day before race day we headed out to see Borat, cuz we heard it was the funniest movie of all time. Thought it would be a nice diversion and lighten us up. Got to the theater and it wasn't out in PCB yet so we went to see The Departed with Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, and Leonardo DiCaprio. Basically everyone in the movie got shot in the head. Not exactly the best movie to go see to unwind. But enough about that.

The morning of the rce, I drank 1 scoop perpeteum, took 1 shot hammer gel, and ate a banana. Had a cup of coffee then went downstairs to get bodymarked and drop off special needs bags. Man it was COLD - about 44 degrees with wind chill of 39 before the sun came up. Took some video of me and Rob - how we felt starting the race. Then headed down after donning our (warm!) wetsuits and disposable sandals.
Event warmup:

Nothing - by the time we got downstairs they were asking the age groupers to get out of the water for the pros to start. Saw Ken, Marcy and Sue and wished them all luck. Took some pictures. The last pictures of us all as non-Ironmen!
Swim
  • 1h 47m 37s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Could have done a better job sighting on the way back in, but the waves were so bad it was really hard to spot the buoys and current pulled me out to the right of them a good bit.

Overall pleased with my ability to stay calm and breathe only every 4th stroke. While my watch was working I could tell my heart rate was still high (about 175 or so) but I did not feel like I was really pushing it on the swim.

Rob stayed by me the WHOLE time - it was amazing. He kept sighting for me and managed to swim near me for both laps. Boy was that nice. We would do the gopher head pop up and smile at each other then get back to swimming.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know - I feel pretty good about the swim overall. Came in 8 minutes over goal pace but attribute this to strong chop and poor sighting on the return both loops.
Transition 1
  • 13m 56s
Comments:

Used the strippers to get my suit off. Man those folks must be sore today! They really worked hard.

I felt like I spent too long in T2 but actually came in under my goal of 15 minutes. It was frustrating to not have my watch so I couldn't tell how long I was in there. Felt like an eternity.

Have a working watch! Otherwise I did okay - did not rush in order to make sure I had everything I needed. Only way to cut on time is not have a pants change, but I need biking shorts for this long of a ride.
Bike
  • 7h 41m 52s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.55 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 3 hours were not great due to headwind. Quite a challenge, since we were also hitting some rolling hills - not bad, but not fun either. I stayed in the big chain ring cuz I've had some issues with the chain popping off when I switch to the small one. Just sucked it up and mainly kept in big ring and this fried my legs on the hills.

Tried to have fun on the bike. We took pictures of several mile markers along the way. After we had the tailwind it went by pretty fast. Stayed aero for most of the ride which helped a lot.

About 5 hours in I could not stomach any more Perpetueum and was taking in only water for maybe an hour or more. I tried half a shot of hammer gel at 6 hours and 6:30 and it sat okay but couldn't go back to perpetuem after that point. At least I had gotten my calories in early on the bike, which is what "they" say to do.

At some point towards the end of the bie, this big guy starts drafting off me bigtime - really sucking my wheel. I can hear him back there breathing all heavy and huffing to keep up so he can draft. Man did that tick me off. Here I am busting my hump to do my best at IM and this guy is going to draft off me? The nerve! So I say something to Rob in front of me about speeding up so that I don't draft off him cuz I don't want to get through IM drafting. I said it REALLY loud so the guy would get the hint. Either he got it, or he just couldn't keep up cuz I didn't see him when I looked back a little later.

Need a working watch and heart rate monitor! Also get my bike checked pre-race to ensure shifter, chain, etc. all okay.
Transition 2
  • 08m 1s
Comments:

Volunteers were great - they took the bike from me. My volunteer asked if I wanted anything off the bike and I told her I never wanted to see any of it again. Got a chuckle.

Again, didn't know how long I was in T2 but it felt like forever. But I still beat my goal time of 10 minutes.

Use what is provided on the course. A lot of prep time was getting the Heed bottles, hammer gel, etc. all set up - fuel belt on, etc. It was a pain in the bootay to have the fuel belt on. I took it off at special needs.
Run
  • 6h 55m 51s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was definitely the hardest part. I was very very very worried about my knee holding up on the second loop. Went out a bit slow and conservative on the first loop and Rob was getting nervous about our average pace and projected time. So after about 10 miles or so we picked up the pace. I was walking about 5 minute chunks to start and reduced that to maybe 2 minutes.

Legs were really tired and we were doing only about 15 minute mile pace when we did run, but we had figured this pace in our projections. Was expecting to bonk on the second loop but never did. Surprising, as we both were not able to take in any Heed or hammer gel after the first loop. We were still using the bathrooms and taking in water, so I wasn't too worried. I started taking in the coke a little bit at each aid station and that seemed to help. Rob started on the chicken broth about mile 20 and then we both hit that at each aid station since we stopped the Heed.

Physically the run was very rough as we were really worn out. I think it was mental effort that pushed us through. I had to keep repeating in my head "pain is temporary, quitting is forever" over and over again to get through. And I would say positive things out loud to Rob to convince myself that we were doing good and going to make it, even though I felt pretty pooped and worried about my bod holding up.

Just ticking off the miles on the second loop. Rob said he felt like he was starting to "peter out" around mile 20, so I tried to do my cheerleader thing and keep reminding him how good we were doing and how close we were to our dream of becoming Ironmen!

When we got to mile 23 or so we knew we were probably going to make it based on our pace and that we were still physically feeling okay - no bonking, no stomach issues, my knee was holding up, etc.

We got to mile 25 with something like 40 minutes to go until midnight so we walked the last mile or so and just enjoyed the experience and started talking about how to cross the finish line and we couldn't believe that we were only 1 mile from being Ironmen. I had enough energy left to start waving my hands in the air and shaking my bootay.

We let about 2 or 3 people walk in front of us across the finish line so that Mike Riley could say their names without us screwing up their finish. We had plenty of time, so no hurry. I was high-fiveing people in the crowd like crazy. I could not believe how many people there were at almost midnight. I was shouting at them "You guys are awesome!". They were smiling and hollering like we were celebrities or something.

When we finally saw Mike Riley he turned to look at us and he cracked up laughing at Rob who had the camera out and was video taping our finish. He pointed and yelled "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!". I was so happy that he did his shout out for us that I ran over, grabbed his face in my hands, and kissed him on the left and right cheek.

Caught up to Rob and he reminded me to stop and kiss him before breaking the finish line tape. We had a big nice smooch and then both crossed the line with our hands high in the air smiling like lunatics. It was the best feeling ever.

Not hurt my knee during training.
Post race
Warm down:

Got finisher's medal, picture taken, talked to May at the finish line. Watched the oldest competitor (Frank) finish about 5 minutes behind us and then after the midnight countdown went back up to the room. Just wanted to get off our feet at that point.

Drank 4 scoop of Recoverite up in the room. Took pictures of my right pinky toe which looked like someone had taken a sledgehammer to it. That'll teach me to skip the Bodyglide before a marathon!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The limited time I have for training and not many years in the sport. Also, need to lose a few more pounds. And the knee injury did not help matters!

Event comments:

This was a great race, especially the excitement and energy at the start and finish. It was the accomplishment of a lifetime and I have to say that something I read is true: Finish at all costs - you'll thank yourself later.

I am glad that I had been warned ahead of time that at some point, or several times throughout the day, I was going to feel bad.... really bad, and that this was normal. Otherwise it would have been easy to throw in the towel and take a few minutes of feeling bad as a sign that my day was going south.

I am glad that we are finished and can cut back on training a bit and spend time with our families. We have sacrificed a lot of time with them during training. It was amazing to get through the entire day with Rob and become and Ironman with him at my side.

Last updated: 2006-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:47:37 | 3800 meters | 02m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/114
Overall: 2078/2192
Performance: Average
I have no idea cuz my watch broke! I think water got in it from when the battery was changed and it died right after the swim.
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction full wetsuit
Course: Holy crap these were the roughest OW coniditions I've experienced (Rob said the same). First loop was not too bad, but the second loop the chop had really picked up and we got tossed around a good bit. Kind of put a damper on the day cuz the forecast the day before predicted the wind would die down. Knew that the winds would lead to a more challenging swim and bike. The pros passed us, or should I say swam over us, as we were getting close to finishing loop 1. Those bitches. Got stung by some of those tiny jellyfish a couple of times but not too painful.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 13:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:41:52 | 112 miles | 14.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 107/114
Overall: 2109/2192
Don't know - dead watch!
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 1 loop course. Little scenery. What more can I say? Had a decent headwind and hills the first three hours. Sheesh. As if Ironmans aren't hard enough. It's probably a good thing that my watch died and I wasn't watching heart rate, cuz I'm sure I was in zone 3 most of the ride. But I felt okay. The remainder of the ride we had a nice tailwind and I was doing about 16-18 mph on the return. Stopped 3 times for potty breaks and to stretch, so this drove down average pace. Probably spent 10 - 15 minutes on these 3 breaks but I felt much better when I got on the bike afterwards. Withoug the stops we would have done the bike in about 7:30 which is very good for me over that distance.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:55:51 | 26.2 miles | 15m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 104/114
Overall: 2093/2192
Performance: Below average
No idea - dead watch.
Course: 2 loop course to St Andrews State Park then back. Dark as all get the hell out. Fun when running through the neighborhoods near the hotel cuz the residents sit outside and cheer (at least until about 11 p.m.). They were really great and gave us a nice little boost from time to time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-05 9:18 PM
in reply to: #589456

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida

2006-11-05 9:22 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Awesome Job!! It was great meeting you all and seeing you on the course!!!
2006-11-05 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
May and I were so happy to see you both come down the finish chute!  The part you left out was that you actually kissed Mike Reilly not once but TWICE!!  Then just took Rob's had and went on to the finish!!  I'm so happy for you both!!
2006-11-05 10:11 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Congrats Ironman x 2.  So cool to do it all together!
2006-11-05 10:42 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Way to go Ironpeoples!
2006-11-05 11:04 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Congratulations!  Crossing that first IM finish line is a feeling like no other. 

Awesome that you two stuck together.  I noticed that your swim times were nearly indentical and thought "hmmmmmm".  Really awesome that you both hung together and kept each other going the entire distance.

Frank is one of my heros.  If you don't know his story, google for Frank Farrar.

2006-11-05 11:24 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Great job, glad your knee held up, I have to agree with you, finish at all costs, it is worth it.

Cheers.
2006-11-06 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Congratulations on finishing and having a fun time with your race!!  Now you can forever say "I am an Ironman"!!! 
2006-11-06 7:55 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Way to push through the mental barriers. Congrats on becoming an IRONMAN
2006-11-06 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great race and congrats on becoming an IRONMAN!
2006-11-06 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

Great race report. You are an ironman!

Your report brought tears to my eyes too...I watched people finish for hours and can't believe how emotional it is.

2006-11-06 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Congratulations, Joanne, for a phenomenal effort and overcoming all the big AND little things that stood in your way...and with a smile, too.  Outstanding accomplishment, IronMan.
2006-11-06 10:54 AM

User image

Elite

Congratulations Ironman!

Amazing accomplishment.  Way to hang in there through the tough swim and painful run.

You did it!

2006-11-06 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Great race report and congratulations! It's so great you were able to overcome the mental barriers so late in the race and pick up the pace! You had me laughing out loud with the "never want to see it again" comment when you turned your bike in.

Great job!!!!
2006-11-06 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Congratulations on becoming an Ironwoman!!!!!
2006-11-06 7:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Woohoo...what an accomplishment! Great job...I bet you are on cloud nine right now!

2006-11-06 8:28 PM

User image

Champion
Joann, you and Rob have had a hell of a last year.  Congrats.  You guys deserve it.
2006-11-06 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Joann,

You guys are a big part of what makes triathlon special and this time you really went over the top!!!!! Did I say how proud we are of ya'll.

Right after we passed each other the last time on the run, I had a funny memory of the first time we met. You sent a secret phrase for us to identify each other with. I wrote it down, but I can't remember it now. Anyway I laughed about that for a good mile or so!

Look forward to seeing ya'll again. Mullet Man is in April and ya'll need to come over for that one.
2006-11-07 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

wow, a great Race report, but an even better storywith sticking together the whole day.

Congrats IRONMAN

2006-11-07 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOOHOO great Job Joanne...thats so sweet you guys did allthis together.  I hope you has much fun as I did.  Great meeting you guys!!
2006-11-07 2:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

It was so awesome to meet you guys this past weekend--and I love that you crossed the finish line together... exactly the same finish time! Very cool!

2006-11-07 3:13 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Congrats- you did it!  It sounds like you really had a fun race!  It was so good to see ya'll on the run course.  It was hard to see everyone because it was dark, but I was able to recognize you and Rob running as a pair!  Congrats again on your accomplishment and it's really awesome that you and Rob did the race together!

2006-11-07 5:26 PM

Veteran
This is EXACTLY the time I would want at IMFL 08. You rock. I am so proud of you. Your race report was excellent. It makes me excited-except I had no idea there were ANY hills. Yuck.
You are an Ironman!
2006-11-08 10:08 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Great race report! Congratulations!
2006-11-08 10:44 AM

User image

Giver
Wow, Joann! I'm so happy you got to race all day with Rob. And man, what an amazing finish. Cherish it forever, Ironman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  

of 3