General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 24m 13s
Overall Rank = 351/499
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 30/39
Pre-race routine:

Rank Clarification - 499 total - looks like there were 444 finishers, Age Group 39 total - 35 finishers.

Got up and headed to the island early Saturday morning to work the BT Aid Station for the Sprint. Had a great group (sorry if I forget anyone) - me, Kylie (kriley), Aaron (JeepFleeb), Cathleen (houston_tri_momma), Andrew (BigRed), John (the bear), Angel (mama bear), Chris (coredump), Laura (Whizzz) and Janice (foolproof). Had a blast, starting POURING down rain and we braved the storm and pressed on with the best aid station ever. Aaron and I tried to put the new computer on my bike but got no data (bad wire) so later in the afternoon after trying to fix it I took it off and put my old one back on. Kylie's mom came down so we stayed at the La Quinta and had some great dinner at Gaido's seafood joint. Checked out the BT table at the expo, talked with Bill,Holly, Jeanette and Mike (marmadaddy), and saw Lisa and her set up for her new company.
Event warmup:

Got up early but aparently I was taking too long getting stuff together and my lovely wife was getting angry with me because we were running a little behind schedule. Grabbed some breakfast at the hotel and headed to Moody Gardens.

We had to swim out a little ways to the start so I guess that could be considered "warmup" but for me it was more "float on my back and just get out there before they blow that horn!"
Swim
  • 28m 50s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I borrowed a wetsuit from Jeff (tri4funjeff) - THANK YOU JEFF! This was my first time to EVER swim in a wetsuit. Yea, yea I know you are never supposed to try anything new on race day but I was not exactly shooting for a great swim so I figured it couldn't hurt. Turns out the water was not really all that cold but the suit did help.

When we started I had a little panic moment with the somewhat cold water that took me back to the Stonebridge tri where I backstroked the majority of the swim. Once I made it to the first buoy I started really trying to swim and quit being a wuss. I had to really work to keep my HR down but I was able to swim a ways, stop and make sure I was still on course and then keep going. We were also swimming into a current the whole time we were following the shoreline.

I never really had a hard time after that, I was just slow. The wetsuit helped with the floating and resting I just wish I was faster. I realistically thought I would be about 27 minutes so I am really not bummed about my time. There was another stragler in my wave and I don't know whose fault it was but we kept swimming over each other. At one point I thought we might as well get a room because I think he tried to kiss me.

At the end when I got to the ramp I was a little dizzy and my left foot fell off the ramp and I cut the bottom of it on the oyster bed. Didn't notice it until after the race though. The wetsuit strippers were great - I just dropped down and my suit was off and I was standing up before I really knew what happened.

Kylie started in the wave 15 minutes behind me and my secondary goal was to be out of the water before she was and I made it! There was a good chance here that I would not make this goal.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim. I am terrible. This was not my worst OWS but it was definitely not great either. I had fun though and I didn't wear myself out which was my goal.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

SLOW. I was still a little dizzy so I sat down at the rack and dried my feet a little. Drank some water, put on my shoes and I was off. Should have been a lot faster.

Usually my transitions are on the faster side so I attribute this to the dizzieness.
Bike
  • 1h 43m 13s
  • 28 miles
  • 16.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Edited to add: with the wind, my out segment was 1:04 and back was 39 min. Love that tailwind!

Wow. Wind. I was expecting a crosswind but what we got was a STRONG headwind the whole way out. In the beginning I realized that there is nothing that I can do about it, I just need to stay in a high gear and spin and not burn up my legs. I was consistently in the 12's and 13's on the way out and got passed a lot but did not let it get to me.

Everyone was flatting. I stopped about mile 2 to try to help a guy on a MTN bike who had a flat but I didn't have anything to work on a schraeder valve - I was off again quick. Joe (freeswimmingfish) passed me about mile 3 and then at mile 7 he was on the side of the road with a flat. His inflator was not working and I stopped and gave him a CO2 and my only inflator. I learned later that we both could have gotten a time penalty for that. Oops. Sidenote - I thought that the "no outside support" rule only applied to non-racers but apparently I was wrong. We didn't get a penalty but could have - sorry Joe. It didn't end up mattering because he still didn't get it to work and had to get a new wheel from the SAG support.

Kept on fighting the wind just plugging along. Saw lots more people with flats and since I had given Joe my inflator I said a few prayers that I would not get a flat myself. Later on I passed Jim (jkron) and he had a flat. I didn't realize it was him until I had passed him. He got it fixed and passed me again later on in the ride. Not too far from the turn around a guy had just passed me and was drinking a gatorade from the hand up and just threw it on the ground. Bottle BARELY missed my rear tire. I yelled something at him but with the wind I know he didn't hear me. That could have hurt! Kept watching the miles slowly tick by just waiting for the turn around.

Finally hit the turnaround and it was JOYOUS! Tailwind! By this point I was not real comfortable down in the aero bars and sat up a little with my hands on the bullhorns but kept tucked down some. Not far past the turnaround I saw Kylie headed the other way and she was not too far behind me. Hammered and really saw the speed jump. I only dropped below 20 mph once when I was riding with no hands eating some Jelly Bellys. I passed John (jcagg90) on the side of the road and yelled to see what was wrong. He said he needed a SAG wagon so I kept on trucking.

Was really enjoying the tailwind and pushing 23 most of the time. John (the bear) passed me and I yelled great job at him and he threw me a thumbs up. I really hammered once to see what I could do and hit about 28. Couldnt hold it for long though. The miles were really ticking by and when I got to the end I really didn't want to be finished. I was having a great time with the tailwind though I was really thankful that I was not doing the 1/2 IM and having to turn around into that headwind again!

Nutrition: not so good. I drank about a bottle and a half of water and a little bit of water with Nuun. I ate 1 package of Jelly Belly sport beans which I am now in love with but I know I needed more calories. I had a gu with me but never took it.

Train more in the wind. Train more period. I think I need to get refit on my bike because I should have been more comfortable staying aero the second half of the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Got out of my shoes a little early but no big deal. This transition was ok but I would have liked to have been under 1 min. Everything went smooth I just kept feeling like I was forgetting something.

Just go knowing that I have done everything.
Run
  • 1h 07m 12s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I had not looked at a course map and I was confused the whole time. The course was very well marked but we went out and back all over the stinkin place!

I started off feeling good. I hit the mile 1 marker at 7:59 and knew that couldnt be right. I asked the volunteer if she was sure it was in the right place and she said yes and then a runner coming the other way so "No its not! It's short" and I was very thankful to hear that. If I had just run an 8 min mile to start off I was going to blow up and be hurting shortly!

I really was confused most of the time but had a great time. With all of the out and backs it was fun getting to see a lot of the BT'ers. Saw Andrew (bigred) and Jim (jkron) in the beginning. I walked all of the aid stations and drank water. Had fun thanking all of the volunteers and encouraging the runners. I passed a guy and noticed that he was in my age group. I hadn't really paid much attention before that and my only thought was "sweet, I am not last!"

Got around mile 1.5 or so and passed the BT aid station. Got to see Steve, Ron, Angel, Derek and Laurie. It was great getting to see them.

At the mile 4 aid station I grabbed water and then thought I would give the coke a try. I have read so much about people loving it. It was fabulous! It was cold and just what I needed. I tried it at the rest of the aid stations but it was never cold again and was not as good. Bonnie (Mrs. Fish) passed me and I talked to her for a bit. She told me she saw Kylie and she was doing good. Somewhere around mile 5ish I saw Kylie and she was looking good! I was happy to see her again.

There was a clown at one point on the second half on the run and when I was coming back by him he was turned around with his back to me. When I got to him I reached down and honked his horn. That made me smile! He laughed at me and yelled something encouraging at me.

The end of the run was pretty uneventful. I was happy to be getting close to the finish. I had pushed and was pretty happy with my run. Only walked the aid stations and was not hurting but ready to be done. When I crossed the finish there was no one else around me and the anouncer said my name. That was cool. I was finished!

Train more and learn to run faster? I really had fun on the run but it seemed like it would never end!
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around and talked to all of the BT'ers. Swapped war stories and Kylie finished not long after me. Walked back to transition with David (davidb) and his wife and took the wetsuit back to Jeff at the TNT tent. Grabbed some food and walked around and found other BT'ers. Saw Marcy and she looked great after her race! We had to head back because I had to be at church asap for our sunday night program. I really wish we could hung around with everyone.

I have to add: what a great community BT is! We had met a lot of BT'ers and got to meet a lot more this weekend. It really is great to be able to cheer on everyone when you are racing and to get the same in return. There is nothing like it out there!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Have not been training long but I am happy with everthing. I don't think I hydrated enough because I never had to pee until after I was finished and I had a little headache which I think was from lack of hydration.

Event comments:

Keith did a great job putting this race together. Everything was very well organized, marked and on time. I am really looking forward to doing the 1/2 at Longhorn now. The race packets were great as well. The only complaint that I had was that there were no instructions in the race packet. Things like if there was a mandatory spot to put the # on the bike since some races require it or if it could go anywhere, times when transition closed and course maps. Would have been nice but not a necessity. Great very very well run race! Will be back for sure!

Last updated: 2007-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:50 | 1056 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/499
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca full sleve wetsuit
Course: Out a short ways, turn left and follow the shore a long way, the left turn to the exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:43:13 | 28 miles | 16.28 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Short trip out the the seawall, follow the seawall all the way down and then back. Strong headwing going out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:07:12 | 06.5 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and backs all over the place.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-02 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2007-04-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: #745339

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

Great to meet you and Kiley.  Great race and thanks again for the offer for the bike.  I am a little sad about not racing but CapTex is coming up and I plan to be ready to go for this one.

Great job!

2007-04-02 12:04 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Great race. That bike course sounds vicious.
2007-04-02 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Good job on the race considering the lack of training volume and wind conditions.

Every race is a learning experience, and now you know which areas need more work and training.

Great to meet you and Kylie and put faces to our user names.

See you at a race in the future!

Go Aggs.
2007-04-02 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Luke,

What a great race!! It's been nice training with you for this race, we need to keep it up for the next ones too.

You did great!!!

I wanted to thanks you again for the help on the bike course.the inflator helped, untill I got the next flat! Thanks again, it was very nice for you to stop YOUR race to help ME!

Congrats!!!

Joe

Edited by Freeswimmingfish 2007-04-02 12:52 PM
2007-04-02 1:14 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Great job Luke! Must have been the good race karma that kept you from getting a flat! It was nice meeting you and Kylie. See you at CapTex!

2007-04-02 2:06 PM
in reply to: #745762

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Good race! I'm so looking forward to posting my 1st report. Hope to catch up with you at Woodlands.
2007-04-02 2:22 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
Well done! Glad you had such a good race. I think you're one of the few people I've seen who DIDN'T have mechanical issues on the bike. Great meeting you--maybe I'll see you at another race sometime soon!
2007-04-02 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Nice job on the race Luke!  I enjoyed reading your RR...the whole story about the guy that you kept bumping into on the s-w-i-m made me laugh out loud.  I have to agree that the BT contigency was awesome.

You and Kiley are going to be at CapTex too?  YAY! 

2007-04-02 2:53 PM

User image

Oakville, ON
Great race - sounds like the new bike treated you well! Those are killer speeds on the way back!

Congrats
2007-04-02 3:55 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Great race Luke - congratulations!  Sounds like you were really having fun out there... and keeping your head during the less-fun moments, both important.  Way to go!

2007-04-03 5:02 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Great race, congratulations on getting through it. Sure was fun coming back on the bike with the wind, wasn't it! Great seeing you and Kylie again, hope to run into you guys a couple of more times this season.
2007-04-03 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Great race! Way to go hanging in there on the bike - wasn't that fun?!?!
2007-04-03 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great race! Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you. 
2007-04-03 5:11 PM

User image

, Texas
Nice race. I'm really glad you made it through the swim without having to backstroke.
2007-04-03 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Awesome race ... you looked so relaxed on the bike!  You really cracked me up ... it was like a walk in the park for you.

Great to meet you and Kylie!  Hope to see you again in the future. 

BTW - check with me on the rules for next time, eh? 

2007-04-03 5:50 PM

User image

Champion

I've never seen somebody smile so much during a race who wasn't high on something.

You weren't high on something were you, Luke?

Nice race!

2007-04-03 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
My son and I chatted with you guys in the elevator.  I wish I would have known you were a BTer.  I would have introduced myself a little better.  Looks like the good luck wishes I sent you guys worked out.  Great race.  Congratulations.  Glad you had a great race.
2007-04-04 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Great race out there, glad you avoided flatting.  There certainly was a lot of those out there.

Definitely had fun meeting you and your wife this weekend.  Handing out water in the cold wind/rain wasn't bad because we were all there together in the same weather.

Keep training and keep getting faster! 

2007-04-04 8:46 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Congratulations on a job well done!

It was great to meet you and Kylie...

Have you dried out yet? I think I'm still a wee bit pruny.

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed