Buckhorn Exchange
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 512/822
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 46/82
Pre-race routine:

Had breakfast of bagel and PB early enough to feel semi-digested. Realized I had some major lower-GI issues, and hoped that they wouldn't cause problems later (they didn't). Got to the race site expecting long lines at the packet pickup, but there wasn't a line. Got my stuff and went back to sit in my car.
Event warmup:

Met up with Shannon, Cathy, and Mel for a quick warmup, visited the lovely portapotties, and lined up at the start
Run
  • 2h 08m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out the run with Shannon and Mel, kept a pretty consistent 9:20 pace up until mile 9. Throughout the race, I felt thirsty. There were aid stations every other mile, which I learned is NOT enough for me. I'm used to running with a fuel belt and drinking whenever I need to. I quickly got dehydrated. Next time, I have to bring my own water. I ate a gel at mile 3, 6, and 9. I really felt like I could have kept that pace, and it seemed like I went from feeling really good to feeling really bad very quickly. I probably should have taken the first 3 miles easier than I did and I would have had more at the end. Looking back, my longest run recently was 5 weeks ago, and I could really tell that I haven't been putting in the longer miles.
What would you do differently?:

My goal for this race was to go under 2:05, and I didn't meet that goal. I should have had a better strategy for how to break up the race. Well, have a strategy period. This was my first open 1/2 mary, so it was an automatic PR :) That being said, it was a good learning experience for me and it showed me how much work I still have to do!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around gulping water, talked to lots of BT'ers, wanted to hide from my coach because I didn't really want to face him, but talked to him anyway :)

I knew I needed to eat something, even though I didn't feel all that great, so Shannon and I went to get a hamburger. I bit into the burger only to find that it was RAW all the way though. That almost made me puke. So, my post-race food consisted of a packet of Sport Beans and about 6 potato chips. Yeah, that's nice. Rode the lightrail back to the start.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydrated, needed a better strategy, take the first 3 miles slower.

Event comments:

The aid stations weren't staffed very well - I had to wait for water or grab it from behind the volunteers because they weren't handing it fast enough. And COOK YOUR DAMN HAMBURGER MEAT. Raw hamburger after running 13.1 miles was just plain traumatic.

Last updated: 2007-03-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/82
Overall: 0/822
Performance: Below average
Course: Started with short run through downtown Littleton, then out to the Platte River trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-02 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Platte River Half Marathon

2007-04-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: #745371

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Platte River Half Marathon

LOL, I gave Tara one of those burgers.....even she wouldn't eat it and she eats almost everything!  They were gross to look at. 

Congrats on the PR, now you have a time to beat for another 1/2 mary!    You did awesome!

2007-04-02 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
That was a tough race... way to hang tough.

You know what usually works for me? I carry one of the 7-11 Gatorade bottles with the twist cap... take at least one sip every half mile and try to finish it by mile 9 in a 1/2 and mile 12 in a full marathon.... a sip from a cup every mile is not enough. Besides its hard to drink out of a cup when your running. Try it on a long run. I don't even notice carrying it in my hand anymore.

This technique helped me to a PB (at the time) in the 2004 Boston Marathon when it was like 86 degrees at the start. Most runners where over an hour slower than what they projected and it was the year with the most DNFs. I never had a problem...

The key is to get a lot of liquid in early... when your thirsty, its too late.

BTW, I carried a gatorade bottle yesterday, but I was barely able to drink from it... at mile 12 it was more than half full and a chucked it into a waste basket... I should have forced myself to drink.
2007-04-02 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
That was a tough race... way to hang tough.

You know what usually works for me? I carry one of the 7-11 Gatorade bottles with the twist cap... take at least one sip every half mile and try to finish it by mile 9 in a 1/2 and mile 12 in a full marathon.... a sip from a cup every mile is not enough. Besides its hard to drink out of a cup when your running. Try it on a long run. I don't even notice carrying it in my hand anymore.

This technique helped me to a PB (at the time) in the 2004 Boston Marathon when it was like 86 degrees at the start. Most runners where over an hour slower than what they projected and it was the year with the most DNFs. I never had a problem...

The key is to get a lot of liquid in early... when your thirsty, its too late.

BTW, I carried a gatorade bottle yesterday, but I was barely able to drink from it... at mile 12 it was more than half full and a chucked it into a waste basket... I should have forced myself to drink.
2007-04-02 1:53 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Hey a PR is a PR!  Maybe not your potential but you have many left I am sure.  Good to see you and stay tough.  Yes drinking early is the key.  I too carried a gatorade bottle for the first 5 miles.  I think you did great just getting out there!  Way to go!
2007-04-02 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Well, chalk it up to experience I guess & move on. It wasn't an A race anyway, right? Still a really strong showing considering you haven't run long in 5 weeks.

2007-04-02 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Looks like you did good to me!   Finishing four minutes of your goal isn't bad!!

I think if you address your water issues and possibly your training question (I also found it odd that you haven't done many long runs of double digits lately) would net you some IMMEDIATE dividends.

Definitely, a water station every two miles is rather weak!

Just remember this  is the BEGINNING of your season.   Imagine how much time you will knock off by the end with more training.

2007-04-02 3:56 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
I totally should have done this race - we coulda run together and hung out! Anyway, you PR'd regardless and for having never done this distance and coming within a couple minutes of your goal is pretty awesome - GREAT JOB OUT THERE!!!
2007-04-03 12:14 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Raw meat is sexy.
2007-04-03 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Geez girl give the whip a rest. You did fine. Better than those who didn't even do the race - present company excluded -

I'm proud of you. You rock!

2007-04-03 10:06 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Hey there curly girl! You did great! You kicked my curly butt!!!... my PR for a half marathon is 2:35... and that was in a HIM. Weird.

You probably got dehydrated. Water every other mile is just not good enough! Not for a long race like that. Hmmmmmm perhaps a note to the RD is in order.

I'm quite proud of you. You give tough chicks everywhere someone to look up to. Your training is solid and you execute like a pro. Now you know you need more water. Live and learn. Kiss

I think it was a great showing for your first Half Marathon. Don't be hard on yourself. It's early in the season. And you're starting from a great position, in my opinion!

Hooray for you, Stacie!

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Whizzzzz 2007-04-03 10:07 PM

2007-04-10 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ewww, raw hamburgers? Blech. That's a pretty good running speed there kiddo. Looks like you did a great job even if it wasn't the race you would have liked to have. Congratulations!

-Frank
2007-04-11 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Ick on the whole raw hamburger...I don't eat that on days when I don't run a half mary...nice job...I'll keep you in mind when I get to the start line of my first half mary in a month or so too.  Got to love those first races...instant PR!  Congrats again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Platte River Half Marathon Rss Feed