Colorado Multisport Management
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m 23s
Overall Rank = 105/118
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I'd been getting sick since the Friday before the race. Sore throat, coughy, but not yet really feeling bad. I woke up feeling about the same as I had the last two days (kept it at bay with LOTS of echinacea, vit C). Had oatmeal, emergen-C, honey vanilla chamomile tea and a luna bar for breakfast. The tea really did wonders soothing the throat. At the race, I set up my trasition and then talked with a very cool girl about my age who was also a first-timer.
Event warmup:

I had been so engrossed in conversation that I realized that there was very little time until the beginning of the race, so a sprint to the bathroom and back served as warm-up.
Swim
  • 18m 16s
  • 750 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was AWFUL. When I hit the water it was so cold that I couldn't breathe correctly. I didn't really warm-up in the water enough to breathe right until about 200 yds from the finish. I ended up doing a combo of breaststroke and backstroke the whole way. I tried crawl every now and then, but it was just too hard to coordinate your breath when you are nearly hyperventilating from cold. I did freestyle the last 50 yds just to leave myself with a good impression. I was quite demoralized coming off the swim. The thought of biking and running at that point sounded like the last thing in the world I'd want to do.
What would you do differently?:

Rent a wetsuit. Go open water swimming. Grow cojones.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Transition gave me enough time to calm down and prepare mentally for the bike leg. I probably was a little slower than I could have been, but I needed to catch my breath and get smiling again.

Assuming the swim is better next time, I won't lolligag.
Bike
  • 51m 27s
  • 13 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike leg was glorious. Heading out was kind of a b**ch, slight headwind and all uphill (mostly in 2 long hills), but the way back was fun. It was all downhill and fast. Had a smile plastered on my face the whole way back. Ate 2 Gu's on the bike, one at the very beginning, one just after the turnaround (I felt hungry, so yes, that was necessary). My bike ran perfectly!

I think I was passed by roughly the same # of people I passed.

Maybe push a little more on the uphills, but not by much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

No problem.

Nada.
Run
  • 38m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

UGGGGG! The first part was great. That smile was still plastered on my face. I was kind of wondering why no one heading back was smiling at all. But I just ran happily along telling everyone what a great job they were doing.

Then, the sidewalk ended. And the mud began. Smile very soon gone. It only took a couple hundred yards until my shoes were caked with mud all over the sole. I would estimate that I was running with at least 1-2 lbs of mud on the bottom of each foot. It SUCKED! In some areas, the mud got very slippery. At that point, it was a waste of energy to try and run, so I walked through those spots (which probably constituted a third to half a mile). I stopped each way on a little bridge to peel the mud off my shoes on the side rails. The mud lasted half the 5k. The mud had caked preferentially under the arch of my foot, so I rubbed a nice blister

Back on the cement, smile quickly returned when I went by two women in gaudy make-up and viking hats heading the other direction. They yelled for me and I for them. After a quarter of a mile on the cement, most of the mud was gone, so I got to return to a normal pace. A few hundred yards from the finish a little blonde girl started jumping up and down yelling for me, so I turned on the gas to the finish. Coming in the chute, I had the biggest poo-eating grin on my face that the announcer started making jokes about me. It was fabulous!

Everything that went wrong was out of my control. Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Smiled till my face cramped up. Hugged my wonderful boyfriend a lot. Walked around and stretched a little. Felt immensely blessed and almost bawled a couple of times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cooooold water, mud on the run, taking it a bit too easy on the bike (though that probably only cost me a minute or two).

Event comments:

I think that it was stupid to have us run through that mud. It would have been wise for them to have an alternate course set up over pavement.

Other than that, this was a GREAT race. I had tons of fun and won myself a 3rd place medal in my age group (out of 4, and it wasn't a medal, actually a coaster....)

Last updated: 2004-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:16 | 750 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/118
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri shorts and sports bra
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:27 | 13 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on minor highway. Gained 300+ feet in elevation the way out. Lost it on the way back. A couple of long, but not so steep hills constituted most of the gain.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:41 | 03.1 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back around the lake. Half of the way was cement, the other half was dirt. It had rained fairly hard the night before, so the dirt was actually mud. Thick, cakey mud (Sandy clay loam for you soil science types).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-05 3:35 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: Windsor Tri

2004-09-05 4:11 PM
in reply to: #57942

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Windsor Tri
Awesome job Kim!  You did great!  Mud and all
2004-09-05 5:47 PM

Veteran
Denver
Hey Kim. Sorry we didn't get to meet but my impressions on the race were as same as yours.

The swim was horrible for me. I was cold, tired and scared. I actually thougt I was going to freak out in the beginning. I actually stopped 3 times at the Kayaks. I know I can swim that distance I just didn't have it today, it was too cold for me. I couldn't get my breathing down to the last 200 meters. I was one of the last people out of the water including all the women that started after me.

I was so happy to get on my bike. By not spending much energy on the swim I was raring to go. I pushed it hard on the bike and passed about 40 people. When I got to the run I still had a lot left in the tank and felt I ran pretty good for my ability.

Then came the mud. I don't think they could have anticipated the rain from last night but a quick course change would have been a good idea. I'd imagine it was even tougher on the fast people, they must have done a lot of slipping and sliding.

Overall impressions: I could have taken 10 minutes off of my swim with a wetsuit. I have all winter to train and I will be ready to swim next year. I'm exited about my bike and run performance. Today I realized a great thing about small races....... lots of awards. Some how I managed to get 3rd in my age group. I'm so happy that I finished I don't plan on telling anyone how small the race was.

2004-09-05 6:23 PM

Veteran
Colorado
Good job Kim (and Novo too)! Definitely the water was cold (but I did have a wetsuit - the true weenie that I am!). I don't know how you guys did it without one - you have my admiration! I will definitely second (third?) your comments about the mud! Didn't you feel like your feet gained an extra two pounds apiece? I was so happy to see all the support people along the bike route watching out for the riders though, that leg seemed quite safe.
Sorry to not have met either of you - I don't know how that was possible in a small race but...Speaking of small races, I also took home some "hardware" (yep, a coaster for me too!) Good thing we aren't all in the same race category (LOL!)
Congrats on your first tri, Kim - YOU HAVE DONE IT!
2004-09-05 8:15 PM
in reply to: #57958

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Michele, I think it was defintiely between 1 and 2 lbs on my shoes. I used to play with (and weigh) dirt for a living and considering the water content, so I have first hand experience with what a lb of mud looks like! Ugh! Congrats on the coaster!

Novo, the swim was really rough, huh? I felt about the same as you. I was definitely supressing a panic attack for the first few hundred meters. I was really disappointed because swimming is my background and I thought that would be easy for me. I really wasn't counting on it being that cold. One of the race coordinator guys told me that the water was 69 degrees and that coupled with no sun and about 50 deg air temp, it was pretty hard-core to be out there without a wetsuit. So, hey, even if you feel a little disappointed, I think making it through was definitely something to be proud of. And if you passed that many people on the bike, do you remember a girl in a canary yellow shirt on a MTB with a (generic) Camelbak? That was me!

Well, sorry I didn't get to meet either of you guys, but I'm sure we will meet at some event or another. Congrats on your valiant efforts!

2004-09-05 9:57 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
YOU ROCK KIM! That's the true spirit of triathlons, keep smiling even when things are out of your control! Very cool! Congrats on the placing, too!

Are you up for doing the Fall Chill in Loveland on the 26th? :-)

2004-09-05 10:50 PM
in reply to: #58035

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
joeinco - 2004-09-05 7:57 PMAre you up for doing the Fall Chill in Loveland on the 26th? :-)

I'm pretty tempted to... I thought that this would make my achilles tendon flare up, but it feels pretty ok. Hmmmm. I think I'll leave it up to the financial Gods. If it's still open when I have money next, I'll enter. And I'll rent a darn wetsuit!!!!
2004-09-05 11:47 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Holy cow medal and all   Sounds like you earned it, handled all those obstacles like a pro.  Great job!
2004-09-06 12:00 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Extra Fabulous, Kim!!!
2004-09-07 11:09 AM
in reply to: #58181

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Thanks guys! I'm still beaming!

I should have some photos by the end of today.

2004-09-07 9:05 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
So where are the pics?

Congrats on a great race. You might have been warmer during the swim if you would have left the fur on.

2004-09-08 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Nice Job!!!! Wasn't all that anticipation worth it??!!!??! Did your first triathlon live up to your expectations? Sounds like it! And you scored a coaster! You are awesome! Can't wait to see the pics!

LW

2004-09-08 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Great job Kim. I was out of town and just read your RR. Sorry about the swim but you were a trooper. Wow running through mud! You're a true inspiriation. You rock girl. Doing the Fall Chill? Hope to see you there!! Woo Hoo. You're a triathlete girl. Soak it up!
2004-09-08 3:07 PM
in reply to: #58852

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

the bear - 2004-09-07 7:05 PM So where are the pics? Congrats on a great race. You might have been warmer during the swim if you would have left the fur on.

Actually, Bear, that was the first thing I thought once my body was completely immersed. And I thought of you..... Awwwww....

2004-09-08 3:08 PM
in reply to: #59067

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Whizzer - 2004-09-08 8:12 AM

Nice Job!!!! Wasn't all that anticipation worth it??!!!??! Did your first triathlon live up to your expectations? Sounds like it! And you scored a coaster! You are awesome! Can't wait to see the pics!

LW

It lived up to my expectations and beyond!!!! The feeling I had at the finish line was unlike any other I've ever experienced. I'm sure I'll be chasing it for the rest of my life.... Like a drug addict after his first high! LOL!

2004-09-08 3:12 PM
in reply to: #59125

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

infosteward - 2004-09-08 9:53 AM Great job Kim. I was out of town and just read your RR. Sorry about the swim but you were a trooper. Wow running through mud! You're a true inspiriation. You rock girl. Doing the Fall Chill? Hope to see you there!! Woo Hoo. You're a triathlete girl. Soak it up!

I'm fighting with my self about the Fall Chill. I'm not sure if I really have the money and it would likely derail my running plan for the winter slightly (running that distance is likely to get the achilles tendon flared up again). But if I don't do it, I will definitely volunteer so that I can meet you all!

Here's the pics. My bf apparently can't work the zoom on his camera so they're all really far out. I'll post the pics from the pro photogs when they go up.

(start.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
start.JPG (71KB - 25 downloads)

2004-09-08 3:14 PM
in reply to: #59192

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Another

(finishsmall.jpg)

(afterswimsmall.JPG)

(bikesmall.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
finishsmall.jpg (88KB - 24 downloads)
afterswimsmall.JPG (84KB - 24 downloads)
bikesmall.jpg (80KB - 26 downloads)
2004-09-08 6:01 PM
in reply to: #59194

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE BIKE!!!!

And look at the smile on your face! Priceless!

Edited by Whizzer 2004-09-08 6:02 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Windsor Tri Rss Feed