Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 19s
Overall Rank = 108/138
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

Before I start this off, let's just say that the race didn't go exactly as planned. Got up at 4:20, puttered around getting dressed (I didn't want to get up), ate cheese grits, filled up my water bottles, grabbed the 30 ounces of coffee I made the night before, loaded up my stuff and headed to the Racetrac to meet Adam and Tania and their two kids (Adam was racing). Followed them to Clemson. The roads are so nice that time of morning!
Event warmup:

Does walking and walking and pacing nervously count as warmup? We got there, got our race packets. I set up my transition area (nice because it was in the grass and the rows were not too long), got marked by Heather (hblackmon), and headed down to the lake to test the water temps. It was pretty warm, and the air was warm. Nice! About 20 til 8 ate a gogurt and a gu and had more water.
Swim
  • 18m 22s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

Stood around with Heather (who wasn't racing, just representing USAT, her hubby Kirk, Courtney and her hubby Kraig waiting for the race to get started.

Lake Hartwell is so clean compared to lakes in southwest Georgia (Lake Blackshear). And treading water waiting for the start was great. I think I actually prefer this to running in. It was so much easier just to go. I was swimming pretty well until the first buoy - besides getting kicked a few times, which is normal - and then it got really clogged. Honestly, that's the first time I've thought that I could go under. Panicked a little, so it took a few minutes to calm down, but after that I felt pretty strong in the water. Passed some of the guys in the wave in front of me, got passed by some clydes in the wave behind me.

The swim includes the maybe quarter-mile run back to T1. Okay, maybe it wasn't that long, but it seems like it.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Do some OWSs. Swim to the outside of the first buoy instead of hanging to the inside. This wasn't a problem at the second. Oh, and remember to start my watch (hit the wrong button).
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

T1 was awesome. My towel was big enough (unlike Yargo last year). I've been practicing riding without socks and that made T1 a lot easier.

Nothing, well, besides run up the hill to the T1 area.
Bike
  • 49m 19s
  • 11 miles
  • 13.38 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where it all fell apart. I've been training consistently on the bike lately, and I was really, really hoping to see a big improvement over last year's times. But that didn't happen. As I was mounting my bike, the front tire blew.

Earlier in the morning, I let Adam pump my tires before we headed to the transition area. The back tube, being new, held fine (at 130 psi). I heard a pop when he was pumping the front tire, but didn't really think anything of it. So, about 100 feet from the bike start, I'm bumping along with a flat. I pulled over to the side, unscrewed the quick release lever (it's only quick if you have enough slack for the bike frame to let go), and after yanking the busted tube out, tried to put on a new tube with the tire still on the frame. I'm not good at that, so I finally yanked the tire off and put the tube on, inflated it a little and put the tire back over it. I'm not sure how long it took - between 5-10 minutes. I was so pissed that I cut my watch off. It was definitely not how I planned to start the season.

Got back on the bike as the last of the novices were coming through. I passed a lot of people - one guy who ended up passing me later on the run - he kinda joked about being passed by a girl, but if I had had it my way, I wouldn't have been at the BOP on the bike in the first place. The hills weren't bad at all, a bit like riding around Athens. And the downhills were fun.

About a mile from the transition area, the front tire went flat again (I'm pretty sure I didn't change it correctly, because I could hear something rubbing throughout the bike). At that point, I was so ready to finish, so I road my lovely piece of crap bike in, and told her I was just kidding about talking about getting a new bike and please stay together and other words that shouldn't be written in a public forum. ;) The ride in was a bit shaky, and the guy in front of me kept turning around to make sure I wasn't gaining on him. Either that or he heard me and thought I was crazy.

You know how they tell you not to do anything differently on race day? DON'T DO ANYTHING, ANYTHING differently. If I could have done anything differently, it would have been to not get a flat. Or two. I busted it on the bike, so I know my times and my speed are better. But it was just so disappointing to do so horribly on a race I wanted to do well at. Oh, and buy unpoppable tubes. Do they make those?
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

T2 was great. Socks went on pretty easily. Bike racked easily. I had a green towel over the rack ends, so it wasn't hard to find my spot.

Nothing. It went really smoothly.
Run
  • 31m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good on the run, just tired. I really went hard on the bike, mostly to try to make up time, so that really ate into my energy for the run. And my stomach was fussing at me. I think chocolate gu doesn't agree with me so well. Or maybe it reacted with the gogurt. I finished strong, but didn't try to sprint. I didn't have any of my normal extra energy left, so I did achieve my goal of leaving it all on the course. And the course was definitely hilly. It was like running on a kid's roller coaster with the gentle and continual ups and downs.

Go harder on the bike for upcoming bricks to get my legs ready for race-like situations.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to the various people I knew. Met Patrick's wife (he works in a different unit of the college of ag). Chatted with Hunter, Adam and Tania's three-year-old. Found the BT people. Had chili and cheese and chips and two rolls and water and capri suns. The race had quite a spread!

Before we headed to lunch, I went back to the area near T1 where I left my old bike tube and pump, and I almost broke down. It was disappointment really, more than anything.

I was reminded of it again on Sunday at church as we sang "my hope is built on nothing less" and it has this as part of one verse: "When all around my soul gives way, he then is all my hope and stay. On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand." I wasn't thinking that as I was changing my tube, trust me. But it's still true. He's my solid ground. And I'm especially proud of this -- I FINISHED THE RACE. I didn't give up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad placement on the swim, and no OWSs lately. A busted tube. Lack of energy on the run.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race, despite various problems. They had tons of volunteers - who even cleaned up the cups on the 5K course (it was getting kind of messy). The website isn't quite honest on the amount of hills on the run portion, but that's a matter of perspective. It was great. I'm looking forward to next year already. Oh, and they gave us socks in our goody bags. How cool is that?

Last updated: 2007-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:22 | 750 meters | 02m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 78/138
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri
Course: Rectangular out on left to first buoy, take a right, swim long ways to second buoy, take a right, head to shore. Climb out and run/walk to T1
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:19 | 11 miles | 13.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 119/138
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: A loop. It was really pretty to ride by the lake and see a bit of the Clemson countryside.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:18 | 03.11 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 0/138
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on the edge of Clemson's campus with a couple of hills thrown in for fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-14 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: Clemson Triathlon

2007-05-14 9:52 AM
in reply to: #799410

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Clemson Triathlon
I say you win the prize for having to deal with the most crap! Good job pushing through it and not giving up. Next year you'll rock that bike course! (and the hills are tough- you might want to consider doing the Orange Crush Duathlon in October.)
2007-05-14 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Awesome job finishing the race Steph! I know it took a lot of will power to keep going after a disappointing bike start. You have been training a lot on the bike and your average speed doesn't truly reflect the skill and strength you've gained over the winter. Good job keeping it all in perspective and I know you'll be ready to come back with a vengeance at Russell!
2007-05-14 11:41 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Way to persevere through adversity Steph. Just some advice though, I ride Tubular Zipps and don't use 130 psi, you should be around 100-110 psi at most. Great job being tough!!
2007-05-14 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Wow, Steph - all I can say is way to hang in there.  Really - it is my biggest fear to get a flat during the bike of a race, and you did it and you stuck with it!  That's really awesome that you didn't quit and next time something bad happens you can always look back and remember how you got through this one and you can get through anything.  Great job!!
2007-05-14 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
You would have had every right to just bag it when your tire went flat.  Huge props for changing that tire and getting back in the race.  I'm sure it was frustrating but you did an awesome job. Way to tough it out!

2007-05-14 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

You did an awesome job - a flat (especially in a sprint) really sucks, but you kept pushing through it! I know you were disappointed with your overall time, but you really did a great job!!

I would definately say that run up from the swim was at least a quarter mile!

2007-05-14 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Good job on the race. I like the new avatar. It has some sort of pensive ethereal air to it.
2007-05-14 1:04 PM

User image

Newberry
Way to keep on going. You find out what you are made of in situations like that. I have not even had a flat yet on my bike and don't even know if I know how to use the air cartridge properly to fix a flat. I think I will flaten my tire tonight and see if I can figure it out.
2007-05-14 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
Good going Steph.  I've long wondered how I would react to a flat during a race.  I would like to think that I would face it with the same determination and drive that you did.
2007-05-14 1:26 PM

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
HOLY COW! Way to overcome the challenge! So many would have just quit and you kept going! Thanks for introducing yourself before the race! I wish I could have talked more but was running around like a crazy chicken! You should plan to do the Greenville Sprint in August! It's a lot of fun with a pretty big field! Good luck with the rest of the season!

2007-05-14 1:28 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Awesome job! I don't even carry spare tubes on me for sprint races. So I would have DNF'd in your situation. Way to hang in there! You are one tuff cookie!

Pam
2007-05-14 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Just as an aside, I ride on 100 psi. My bike shop said the lighter you are, the less air pressure you need. They said 100 for me for normal conditions, 90 on wet roads and I'm about 138. You might want to reconsider that 130 psi....
2007-05-14 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job on the race, despite the tire woes!!  Way to hang in there and "git er dun!"
2007-05-14 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

great great job girl. I for one would have totally bailed cuz i can barely change a tire

2007-05-14 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Wow, sorry that you had to battle through the flat tire incident but you really persevered and finished strong!  As I learned from my last race, you really learn through all the freakish things that happen on race day!

2007-05-15 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Way to stick with it! Awesome!
2007-05-16 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Wow - that sucks about the flat.  However, GOOOOOOD for you for going on - YOU ROCK for that.  One benefit to starting out after lots of people is you get to pass people on the bike.
2007-05-16 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

oops!

Edited by captantony 2007-05-16 10:39 AM
2007-05-16 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Super job- I know the tire thing was frustrating!  And 2 times- that's annoying.  I think talking to your bike really helps in these situations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clemson Triathlon Rss Feed