Gulf Coast Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 28m 59s
Overall Rank = 415/1302
Age Group = Female 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/49
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and got all my water bottles and gatorade packed up in my transition bag. I was only staying 4/10ths of a mile from the transition area, but I was worried about there being a line for body marking so I said goodbye to Josh (who was incoherent) and left around 4:50. Arrived at body marking around 5:00, got marked and started setting up my transition area.

I had never pumped up my race wheels before (first race on them) and so I went to find Brett (Rocketman) to see if there was any special that I needed to do for them. He came over and confirmed that they were still full enough from the trip to the bike store this week and so we wished each other good luck and I finished doing my things. An hour went by really quickly just making sure that everything was in it's place and talking to people that I knew.
Event warmup:

Met up with Ron (atl_runner) in transition area and hung out with him before the race. We got our wetsuits on and I started to nervously just wait for the start. I took a gel about 20 minutes before my wave and that helped fill me up for the swim and first part of the bike. I didn't get in the water at all before the race. I just wanted to be ready to get in the water. They called my wave (all other females) and I headed to the corral and lined up.
Swim
  • 31m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined up in the front of my wave start right in the middle. I KNOW that I'm a fast swimmer and so I'm not intimated by getting knocked around a little bit. The gun went off and I ran into the water. I could tell that I was in the top front of the pack for about the first 100 meters, but I started getting passed by some of the other women around the first buoy. I was having trouble finding someone to draft off of, but around 500 meters, I was lucky enough to find some women about my pace. We were doing a perfect draft - I was in the back of about a 4 person line and I could totally feel the ease of using their momentum (it was also weird) that I thought about this while out there swimming).

It got a little choppy after you made the turn on the back end of the loop, but I was doing good until I turned the buoy to head back into shore. I had been out in the water the previous morning to spot the building to site off of, but for some reason, I picked out a condo way down the beach from the condo I was suppose to look at. I finally lifted my head for more than a second and found the other girls swimming and headed back over to them. After later talking to other racers, I realize that the current was pushing pretty strong to the east and so that could have misdirected me as well.

Back on course, I just started picking off swimmers in waves before me. Exiting the water went really well and I ran up the sand to the timer pad as I was stripping. Apparently, this part of me made the race video that was played at the awards ceremony so I'll have to order that and check it out. I was happy to see something in the 31's as I was running through the corral, but I was really hoping for a low 30's.
What would you do differently?:

Uh - sight a little bit better. I think that I could have taken off about a minute if I hadn't gotten off course. Regardless, I had a really good swim (:47 seconds faster than last year), but the girls in my AG were just killer.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Big transition area, but I think that I handle it well. Ran right to my spot and sat down to get the lower half of my wetsuit off. Got shoes, helmet and sunglasses on and ran out of TA with my bike.

Not much. I was :07 faster this year than last year and I had not as sweet of a spot due to the entrance to TA being different. It's a long run up from the swim so I'll take anything around 2:45.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I got on my bike and felt good to start off. I was trying to average around 20 mph and I was able to do that pretty well for about the first 10 miles. My main concern was making sure that I was ready for the heat on the bike and then later on the run so I was taking in fluid constantly. Other than fluid, I think that my nutrition went pretty well. I ate gels every hour and had a peanut butter sandwich that I nibbled on at other times.

Once we turned onto the highway, I was having a little trouble keeping my 20 mph pace. I just kept going at what I could do and at times it was 18mph and at other times, it was 21+ mph. I handle the bridge decently (the KeMo repeats paid off), but once I got out on the country back road, I felt like I couldn't get my pace up to where I wanted it to be at all. The race wheels were riding smooth, but everytime there would be rough part of the road, I'd see my pace drop off. I was just hoping that it would be easier once we hit the turnaround and luckly, it was! Miles 35 to 56 were pretty uneventful. Once we got back towards the beach, I took one last gel and started preparing myself mentally for the run.

Not drink so much. I was full to the gills once I got off my bike and I had no urge or desire to urinate at all. I think that this contributed to the not stellar run coming up and the sick to the stomach feeling that I had for about 2 hours after the race was over.

I was about 10 minutes faster this year as compared to last, but I was really hoping for around a 2:40:xx or below. I'm going to keep working on the bike and see this time go down!
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Ran in, racked bike, helmet off, bike shoes off, running shoes on, visor, gels and race number in hand and I was off.

FIRST PLACE IN AGE GROUP! Those girls can't touch me. :)
Run
  • 2h 03m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out of the transition area and Josh was right there with the camera. It was so nice to see him because I wasn't sure if he'd know where I'd be at certain times. He took a picture and encouraged me by yelling 'Run, B*tch' (which though might sound mean, it really cheered me up and made me laugh).

I took off running and just did what my HR and legs felt like doing. I hit the one mile marker and my split read 7:14. Uh - there was NO WAY that I was just ran a 7:14 mile. I confirmed this by marking my time at the next marker as a 10:40 something. Yeah - the markers were definitely off. My plan for the run was to run every mile and get what I needed at the aid stations and walk through to make sure that I got everything down. It was fun being out there in my Sport Factory jersey because if I got passed or anyone was coming at me, they would cheer on 'Go Team Sport Factory'.

Brett caught up to me around mile 5 and he was looking really strong. He gave me some encouragement, but there was no way that I was going to hang with him today. Everything felt pretty good throughout most of the run even though it was REALLY hot out there and I could feel my lower legs starting to get a little tight. I took some 2 electrolyte tablets at mile 5 aid station and 2 more later at mile 8, but I found out after the race that I really should have started taking them on the bike about every hour. Oops.

At mile 9, I just wanted the run to be done! I was seeing my pace slip and there was nothing that I could do about it. My legs just did not want to move. I was running, but I felt like I wasn't going anywhere. I kept with my game plan and kept running each mile until I got to the next aid station. Once there, I was loading up on everything (cup of water, cup of ice, sponges, cup of gatorade, cup of coke) - I was trying everything to stay cool! It would work for about 5 minutes and then I would have 5 more minutes of misery waiting to get to the next station. Once back on Thomas Drive, I knew that I was going to beat my time at GCT by some, but I didn't know how much. I looked at my watch and realized that 5:28:xx sounded better than 5:29:xx so I pushed it a little bit in the last 10th of a mile and came in at 5:28:59.

Coach and I both agreed later on that I need some more running in my plan to bring my half-marathon time down. Last year, I did 1:58's for all 3 of my Half-Ironmans and so I would at least like to see THAT time (I think that the heat increased everyone's run times this year).
Post race
Warm down:

Got bottle of water and chip taken off and then walked back down the finish area to see if I could find anyone that I knew. Josh found me and we waited around for a little bit, but I was starting to get sick and so I went and grabbed my bag from transition and we headed back to the condo.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat - what has been a relatively mild spring here in Georgia didn't really prepare me for Saturday's weather.

Running training - I just need more of it.

Nutrition on the bike - too much fluid made me sick!

Event comments:

About 2 hours after the race, I got a text from a friend telling me that I got 10th place in my age group. 10th place meant that I would get an Age Group award that the awards ceremony later that night. So what turned out to be a disappointing time was made better by the fact that I got an AG award at a HUGE race. :)

I love the Gulf Coast Triathlon and will hopefully be doing it for many years to come. Everything is very well organized and the volunteers that are at GCT are probably the best at any race that I've been too. They are really encouraging and are cheering you on to the end.

Last updated: 2007-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:30 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/49
Overall: 0/1302
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Predator 2
Course: Out 950 meters, left 200 meters, back in 950 meters
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:49:51 | 56 miles | 19.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/49
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out East on Thomas Drive for about 3 miles, turnaround and coming zooming back out Thomas and Front Beach Road before you hit the the highway and the back country road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:55 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/49
Performance: Below average
Course: Out 6.5 miles to the state park and the same course back into the finish line.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-15 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2007-05-15 3:35 PM
in reply to: #801713

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
Great RR, Rebecca!!  And congrats again on the AG HW - you've worked hard and deserved it!!
2007-05-15 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
That's the way my hero races!!!
2007-05-15 6:51 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Awesome job Rebecca!  I have a lot of work to catch up with you!
2007-05-15 8:27 PM

User image

New user

I KNOW that I'm a fast swimmer and so I'm not intimated by getting knocked around a little bit.

Now that's what I'm talking about. OWS is my favorite full contact sport. Always start a race like you are going to win. Awesome race and awesome race report. Congratulations on the top ten AG and it sounds like you got some excellent feedback on focus areas for the next race.
2007-05-15 8:43 PM
in reply to: #802072

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great race report rebecca! You did awesome! Congrats on the hardware at such a big time event. "Run b*TCH"- I will try that one on my wife see how she responds . Cant wait to see how the rest of your season plays out, and someday when I grow up I might get Almost as fast as you!

2007-05-16 7:09 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
I am so PROUD *sniff*.....more running and biking to come since  you are obviously part dolphin with that swim split.
2007-05-16 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice race Rebecca.  You can never really predict what the weather in PCB is going to be like.  You still did extremely well with the heat.  Great job.
2007-05-16 8:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race Rebecca. Congrats on the award... I know that is huge at a race that size and with the caliber of athletes there. It's great that you came away from the race with a bit of knowledge of what to do next time, always learning will give you the chance of having the perfect race one day! I need some long runs in my schedule... let me know if you ever need/want a running partner for some base miles... we can push each other some without killing our heart rates and have a great workout.
2007-05-16 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Great race RC!!!!  Congrats.   And I will totally use the Run, B!tch line if I see you on the course....all in fun, of course.

2007-05-16 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

yeah.. i have a feeling that if I said run b*tch to you, you would pick up a rock and throw it at me.  That was funny though that he said that any that it made you laugh. Anything to break up the race a little is a good thing.

Great race report. I learned more from that then I did from you. Congrats on the award, that's ALWAYS a big deal. One day, maybe I'll get one in a race. I can dream.

You had a great race. For this being your first of the year, you can only conclude that you were more than ready for it. Yeah, you know you can do more, but that will come.

Keep up the great work.

2007-05-16 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Congrats on the age group award. That is way awesome! I can only dream I'll be able to finish a half that fast...you were more than an hour faster than me! But reading your great report is inspiring to do better next time! (Next time? Did I just say "next time"?)
2007-05-16 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
Great RR and congrats on the AG award. Also I have now told everyone to call me "Captain A**hole" when they see me on the course!!!!! It seemed to work for you....
2007-05-16 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Great RR!  You did awesome! 
2007-05-16 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Great job!!!  I sure hope we aren't doing any of the same races this year   You are really off to a great start!
2007-05-16 5:46 PM

User image

Veteran
R: Glad to see your year start off so well. (and how about Josh trying to wear those pants )

Hopefully I'll see you before the season is over and we can exchange notes on events. Congrats on the podium. Always exciting to see or hear of you gathering hardware for the long winter ahead.

Well done.

H.

2007-05-16 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Congrats on your AG award!  That's so cool.
2007-05-17 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Awesome job - your performance in this race is amazing! You seem to keep getting better, even with tough weather conditions! You rock!!

Maybe it's a good thing that we never do the same races, it would just push me even further down the list!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed